Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

I say close the transfers at CFC for 2 years at the least, we have a good enough squad and I am sure Sinclair and Di Santo are going to shine for us. We have enough backup in every position and we really really do not need to buy anyone for at least 2 years !

I am sorry to say guys but the free spending times are over and rightly so Mr Abramovich, Mr Abramovich is doing exactly the right thing and I am in total agreement with him. These scouts have produced nothing and A8rse hole franky boy can f8uck right off, I wonder how much we are paying him ?

Everyone in the club should take a 5% pay cut and be happy with that, it is time we save now and ride this economic sh8it storm out and I promise you we will come out shining the otherside.

We need to build a new stadium with an extra 10 000 seats and more corporate boxes, 10 000 extra seats at the goal ends(5000 and 5000) priced at 35 pounds is an extra 350 000 a game, then add on about 10-15 more boxes which should be placed at each end of the goal as well(which we do not have at the bridge). I heard somewhere those boxes are 2mil a season or something...do Not know if that is true but if it is that gives you an extra 30mil a season.

So 30mil + 350 000 extra a game(basically around 11mil a season extra) is a nice little earner and I have no doubt we could fill a 65 000 stadium.

We would have to pay back the stadium but hey I am looking at the long run here and as so many supporters of Chels are not plastics we will be OK for support year after year..Even if things do get bad. I live in Asia for Christ sake and I even manage to get to a good few games a season.

Good post there BB, I'm not sure about entertaining the Corporate bods though, even though all that extra income would reduce the pressure of paying the players ridiculous wages, I don't think players will ever accept a pay cut, with all this current credit crunch going on I doubt the players have even heard of it....different planet comes to mind!

I was reading that Chelsea players are actually quite happy about the financial melt down right now as they are buying up properties at cut down prices. I heard some time ago also that the corporate boxes per season is a mere one million....oh to be so rich :o

Cole ruled out with calf injury

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole has been ruled out for up to 10 days after sustaining a calf injury during his side's 5-0 win over Sunderland.

The England left-back picked up the injury during the first half at Stamford Bridge and a scan revealed a small tear in the muscle.

He did not travel with the rest of the Chelsea squad to Rome for Tuesday's Champions League clash with Roma.

Cole will also miss Chelsea's Premier League trip to Blackburn on Sunday.

Wayne Bridge replaced Cole after 36 minutes of Chelsea's victory over the Black Cats on Saturday and is likely to deputise in his absence.

Striker Didier Drogba will be available to face Roma after coming off the bench against Sunderland - his first appearance for a month after knee and ankle injuries.

Thats a shame but we have Bridgy as back up so I am not too worried, The Roma game could turn out to be a high scoring thriller.

4-2 to Chels for me as Roma are going to come at us with all they can muster !

ps. I thought my dad was talking <deleted>, he was going on about how they are 2-3mil, the thing is he goes to a lot of corporate stuff at CFC but I still think 2-3 mil is a bit much ! you never know though but I would myself think 1 mil was the actual price.

The thing is if we build a kind of circular stadium then you could have so many boxes going around the whole stadium with the ones behind the goal at lesser rates than the ones on the side lines and obviously the most being in the centre.

We really need a new stadium and we could easily pull in another 15 000 a game, I mean look at how many goals we are scoring and then look at the so called sexy boys of the EPL, the scum of north London , the dont forget to wash ya arse n al oh yes the glamour of AFC hahahah what a load of <deleted>.

65 000 seater with 50 boxes and CFC will be very secure as one of the worlds top clubs !

Thats a shame but we have Bridgy as back up so I am not too worried, The Roma game could turn out to be a high scoring thriller.

ps. I thought my dad was talking <deleted>, he was going on about how they are 2-3mil, the thing is he goes to a lot of corporate stuff at CFC but I still think 2-3 mil is a bit much ! you never know though but I would myself think 1 mil was the actual price.

The thing is if we build a kind of circular stadium then you could have so many boxes going around the whole stadium with the ones behind the goal at lesser rates than the ones on the side lines and obviously the most being in the centre.

We really need a new stadium and we could easily pull in another 15 000 a game, I mean look at how many goals we are scoring and then look at the so called sexy boys of the EPL, the scum of north London , the dont forget to wash ya arse n al oh yes the glamour of AFC hahahah what a load of <deleted>.

65 000 seater with 50 boxes and CFC will be very secure as one of the worlds top clubs !

There's no doubt that we do need a bigger stadium and money wouldn't be a problem.The stumbing block will be trying to get planning permission from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.Its going to be like Mohammad and the mountain with those barstewards.When I worked in England,I used to deal with them quite often and they acted as though their crap didn't smell.The police will also put their case with the extra traffic around the stadium so,I'm sorry to say,lads, I think it's a no go. :o

Scolari backs Chelsea to improve

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari says his side is in the "top 10 in the world", but also believes the Blues still have a lot to prove this season.

Chelsea are top of the Premier League and of their Champions League group, ahead of Tuesday's trip to Roma.

But Scolari said: "We are one of the best teams in the world, we are not the best, but we are very good.

"We need to reach more finals and win more finals to say we are better than last season, we cannot say that now."

He added: "We have played very well up to this point, but we need to arrive in more finals.

"There are other teams that are playing very well too. I am not a man who would say 'we are the best in the world'."

Chelsea can qualify for the last 16 of the tournament on Tuesday if they beat Roma and Cluj beat Bordeaux.

But Scolari remains frustrated by his squad's injury list, with Ashley Cole missing in Rome and Michael Essien, Michael Ballack and Ricardo Carvalho still out.

"Maybe in the future I will have more options because we will have Essien, Ballack, Carvalho and Ashley Cole back, and that will be good for me," said Scolari.

"I am not happy at the moment because I don't have all the players at my disposal.

"When I have these players, it is better for me because I will work and decide who will play and who won't.

"That is my job as a coach. I need to talk and explain to them who is playing or not playing. This is a team and I am part of that team."

The Champions League final will be staged at Rome's Olympic Stadium in May, but Scolari would not be drawn on whether he thinks they could get there.

"There is a long way to go," said the Brazilian. "Tuesday is an important game that we want to win and go to the next stage.

"We are here to beat Roma. But I like the hotel we are staying in and if we should arrive in the final and the hotel will have us, I would like to be there."

There's no doubt that we do need a bigger stadium and money wouldn't be a problem.The stumbing block will be trying to get planning permission from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.Its going to be like Mohammad and the mountain with those barstewards.When I worked in England,I used to deal with them quite often and they acted as though their crap didn't smell.The police will also put their case with the extra traffic around the stadium so,I'm sorry to say,lads, I think it's a no go. :o

The guy who bought my parents old house was a blue and he said exactly the same, that there are so many rules and regs in kesington and chels borough. Lets just hope because I think we could really full a 65000 stadium.

Roma v Chelsea

Chelsea can secure their place in the knock-out stage of the UEFA Champions League with victory over Roma on Tuesday.

Luis Felipe Scolari's men currently top Group A having taken seven points from their opening three matches to date.

Roma are down in third place in the race to qualify for the knock-out stage after taking just three points so far courtesy of a 3-1 win at Bordeaux.

Defeat at Stadio Olimpico would leave the Giallorossi's hopes of qualifying hanging by a thread and their form entering the game is poor having lost their last two Serie A outings to Udinese and Juventus.

With Roma languishing just above the relegation zone domestically Chelsea will be confident of inflicting further misery on Luciano Spalletti's men following their 5-0 weekend crushing of Sunderland.

Spalletti could well keep faith with many who started their weekend defeat to Juventus.

Former Arsenal man Julio Baptista made his first appearance since October 5th after recovering from a thigh problem while David Pizarro made his first start in only his second game since September 13th.

Marco Cassetti and Alberto Aquilani (both thigh injuries) are doubtful. Aquilani has not played since limping out of Roma's 1-0 defeat at Chelsea last month.

Goals have been a major problem for Spalletti this season with Mirko Vucinic their only striker who has managed more than one goal in any competition. He should retain his partnership with Baptista up front.

Chelsea will make an enforced change to the side that destroyed The Black Cats at the weekend with Ashley Cole ruled out with a calf injury.

He will be replaced by Wayne Bridge at left-back, who played the majority of the weekend win after coming on for Cole after 36 minutes.

With Didier Drogba still lacking match sharpness Nicolas Anelka will continue to lead the line with the Ivory Coast ace setting for a place on the substitutes' bench.

Alex is set to continue his partnership with John Terry at the heart of Chelsea's defence with Ricardo Carvalho out with a hamstring strain.

I believe there's an add on Ebay this morning offering numerous hotel rooms for the Champs Lge Final

All enquiries to P.Scholari (at)hopeful.com :o

I saw that one as well............right next to the add, "plot of land for sale, Stanley Park" :D

I saw a advert saying Chelsea were top of the league ????????? shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There is only one word to describe last nights performance...........

UNPROFESSIONAL

stupid me, I got the dates mixed up hoping to see United play and to my suprise, it was Chelsea. After an "oh f*cking h*ll" on my part, went back to bed and was very pleasantly suprised by the result when I woke up.

That McMan guy on Football focus hasn't got a prediction right in his life saying Chelsea would hammer Roma. Best one to date, Arsenal 5-0 over Hull :o

UNPROFESSIONAL

That McMan guy on Football focus hasn't got a prediction right in his life saying Chelsea would hammer Roma. Best one to date, Arsenal 5-0 over Hull :D

I really don't like that Fella at all, something about him that just can't be trusted... :o

UNPROFESSIONAL

That McMan guy on Football focus hasn't got a prediction right in his life saying Chelsea would hammer Roma. Best one to date, Arsenal 5-0 over Hull :D

I really don't like that Fella at all, something about him that just can't be trusted... :o

sorry chelsea folk this is not a liverpool thread, i don't mind him cause A) he has played and :D he speaks his mind but really I would love to be his bookie.

UNPROFESSIONAL

sorry chelsea folk this is not a liverpool thread, i don't mind him cause A) he has played and :D he speaks his mind but really I would love to be his bookie.

Sorry i got mixed up, you mean Macmahon ??

I like Macmahon, i don't like the Fella with the Glasses who was on last night, not Jamie Reeves, the other one...

Spencer something ??

yes we did, and what a good game it was, it could have and should have been more emphatic, 4-0. There was a clear penalty for us when Pizarro was chopped down in the penalty area and Terry goal should have been disallowed. This victory is the electrical jolt the lads needed to get the season back on track. We had an awful start, worse serie of results for yonks. We can take the lead from here and go on winning games.

One thing that is crystal clear in our mind is the absolute determination no to miss the train again, that is stopping in Roma after 25 years. I was in the stadium that night 30th May 1984, the bitterest sporting disappointment in my memory. That night must be avenged. No room for the like of Chelsky, Man U, Real Madrid, Barcellona, Inter etc... it's a two parties invitation only: Roma v Liverpool, 25 years on. I'm waiting, we're waiting

But last night was a good night :o

post-7932-1225871664_thumb.jpg

UNPROFESSIONAL

Our man Macca has certainly got the loudest mouth amongst the Brains Trust.The problem is that he spews drivel.The fact that 'Mase' looks up to him like he is God Almighty says it all about him.

UNPROFESSIONAL

It was a case of over confidence and under estimating the opposition by the players and club.Something you must never do in the Champions League,whoever you are playing.I was questioning the half time substitutions of Joe Cole and Florent Malouda before the second goal went in and I am questioning now.What had they done wrong?Chelsea were controlling the game in the first half and a lack of concentration was their undoing over the goal.It just looked like a matter of time before we got the equaliser.So why change it?

The width was now down to the full backs,so,when they pushed forward and the attack broke down,left acres of room behind for Roma to exploit.Room that would have been filled by Joe C and Florent M.

UNPROFESSIONAL

Sorry i got mixed up, you mean Macmahon ??

I like Macmahon, i don't like the Fella with the Glasses who was on last night, not Jamie Reeves, the other one...

Spencer something ??

I agree, who is that guy? a journalist at the Guardian or something I would guess by the way he drones on about nothing. He makes me long for Chevy Sing or whatever his name is. ESPN STAR really know how to dig up nobodies to do colour - check out the formula 1 show, ex minardi racers and others who raced formula 3.

If we think we are gona win everything with a display like that we are extremely deluded, that second half was f*cking Sh*t!! :o

Roma 3-1 Chelsea

Chelsea's Champions League hopes stuttered after they suffered a night to forget in Rome.

Christian Panucci took advantage of some unusually slack Chelsea defending to finish off a Cicinho cross.

Mirko Vucinic doubled the lead with a wonder strike and then added a superb solo effort to ensure the victory.

John Terry tapped in a consolation from a cross by Deco, who was then dismissed after being shown a second yellow card for attempting a quick free-kick.

Chelsea went into the game with hopes of securing their place in the knockout stages, but instead they will go to Bordeaux in three weeks' time with the group wide open after this defeat.

It was a result that went completely against the form book, with Chelsea arriving at the Stadio Olimpico having gone top of the Premier League at the weekend and Roma on a run of four Serie A defeats.

The opening period suggested it would go to plan with Roma keeper Doni kept busy by shots from Deco, Florent Malouda and Frank Lampard.

Roma looked like a team short on confidence, with some sloppy passing and a deep-lying defensive line allowing Chelsea to spend much of the early stages camped in their half.

Vucinic gave them a warning of what was to come when he created a chance from nothing by controlling the ball on his chest and volleying over the bar.

Deco and Lampard played a lovely one-two in the build-up to the England midfielder testing Doni's reactions with a 25-yard drive that was headed just inside the post.

However, with Chelsea seemingly in firm control they slipped behind through no fault but their own.

Some careless passing resulted in Deco needlessly fouling Francesco Totti about 35 yards from goal, earning the Chelsea midfielder his first booking.

Worse was to follow when the free-kick was played to Cicinho down the right and his centre found Panucci, who was left free to glance the ball home.

It was only the second goal Chelsea had conceded in 916 minutes of football and just the second in open play for Roma in six games.

The Italians grew in confidence and Vucinic could have added a second just before half-time when he misjudged a Cicinho cross.

The big Serbian got his first goal three minutes after the restart when he received a pass from Matteo Brighi and thumped a long-range shot past Petr Cech.

The 25-year-old capped a fine individual display when he robbed John Obi Mikel in the Chelsea half and headed for goal. He brushed off Mikel's attempts to stop him before sweeping the ball past Cech.

Terry pulled one back when he got in the way of a drilled cross from Deco.

Doni saved the initial effort but was powerless to stop him side-footing the rebound in from close range as Roma's defenders appealed desperately for a combination of handball and offside.

Spanish referee Luis Medina Cantalejo showed Deco a second yellow card for attempting to take a quick free-kick, denting any hope of a late comeback and compounding Chelsea's misery.

They will be hoping it is not a sign of things to come on a ground which will stage the Champions League final this season.

Roma: Doni, Cicinho, Mexes, Juan, Panucci, Perrotta (Taddei 72), De Rossi, Brighi, Pizarro, Totti (Julio Baptista 61), Vucinic (Riise 88).

Subs Not Used: Artur, Loria, Tonetto, Menez.

Booked: Perrotta.

Goals: Panucci 34, Vucinic 48, 58.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa (Kalou 63), Terry, Alex, Bridge, Deco, Mikel, Lampard, Joe Cole (Belletti 46), Anelka, Malouda (Drogba 46).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Di Santo, Ferreira.

Sent Off: Deco (81).

Booked: Deco.

Goals: Terry 75.

Att: 38,425.

Ref: Luis Medina Cantalejo (Spain).

Chelsea display worries Scolari

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari admitted he was concerned after seeing his side well beaten away to Roma.

The loss meant Chelsea's lead at the top of Champions League Group A was cut to just one point with two games left.

"When you give away three goals you do worry," he said after the 3-1 loss in Rome. "You need to think why was this and what we can do in our next game.

"We gave too many opportunities to Roma. We made too many mistakes, made wrong passes and had bad positions."

Despite the disappointing display, which was made worse by the late dismissal of midfielder Deco, the coach remained upbeat about their qualification chances.

"It's true the group is open for all the teams," added Scolari. "All of the groups are difficult. We lost one game and there are other teams behind us.

"But we have to win one game and we are there while other teams might need to win two games.

"We now have two chances to win against Bordeaux and Cluj."

Scolari was critical of the decision to show Deco a second yellow card with 10 minutes to go for taking a free-kick too quickly.

"I think if one Roma player had done what Deco did they would not have been sent off," he said.

"Nevertheless, I have good quality players in midfield to replace him for our next game."

I am sorry but Big Phil screwed up on that one, he changed it way too quickly ! We were only 1 down and we had dominated the first half and we were away so why change the bloody team.

If you ask em we are missing players like Essien and Ballack for these big matches against the big teams.

Drogba needs to get fit quick time !

ps. seapok are you sure I can take your ticket for the gooner game ? I doubt I will be able to get one with my points.

pss. Are you thinking about going to Bolton of Everton away ? If so I might go with you. You 3 points for those games !

I am sorry but Big Phil screwed up on that one, he changed it way too quickly ! We were only 1 down and we had dominated the first half and we were away so why change the bloody team.

If you ask em we are missing players like Essien and Ballack for these big matches against the big teams.

ps. seapok are you sure I can take your ticket for the gooner game ? I doubt I will be able to get one with my points.

pss. Are you thinking about going to Bolton of Everton away ? If so I might go with you. You 3 points for those games !

I don't have a ticket mate but you can try using my membership points, I've only got 13 points and they are asking 19 at the moment! I won't be going to the

Bolton game and I'm not in the country for the Everton game I'm afraid, do you know how long your around for this time?

Too right JT, too right indeed!

Terry - We didn't fight

Chelsea captain John Terry has blasted his side for their lack of 'fight' in the UEFA Champions League defeat to Roma.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's side were beaten 3-1 in Rome by a side languishing near the foot of the Serie A table after a miserable start to the season.

After dominating the opening exchanges, the Blues never recovered from conceding a soft opener to Christian Panucci and were undone by further goals from Mirko Vucinic before Deco saw red in the closing stages after Terry had pulled one back.

And the centre-back pulled no punches with his blunt assessment of a performance which was well below par at the venue where the 2009 Champions League final will be staged.

Terry told the Evening Standard: "If we are going to perform like that we are going to get nowhere near the Champions League Final. That's a simple fact.

"The final back in Rome is a big target and we want to come back here in May, but with that kind of performance and work-rate we have no chance.

"Overall it was disappointing that we didn't even fight. Even after going 1-0 and 2-0 down we didn't show the fight and desire that has got us here over the last few years.

"We just sort of strolled and came here thinking we were better than them, when clearly we're not. It was a terrible night for us really. We didn't get going. We knew they had been struggling for results the last few months and that the pressure was all on them.

"In the first five minutes you could see the tension in their team, but we didn't get out of first gear all night, which is really disappointing. Maybe this is the kick up the backside we needed."

Deco was left baffled by his dismissal as he received a second yellow card from Spanish referee Luis Medina Cantalejo after taking a free-kick too quickly for the official's liking.

The Portuguese playmaker will now be suspended for the forthcoming trip to Bordeaux following his red card nine minutes from time in the Stadio Olimpico.

He said: "The problem was the moment he said 'just wait', I touched the ball. It was crazy. I don't know why I was sent off.

"I don't know why we made so many mistakes, I hope it's just this one game. We want to continue playing in an attacking way. We are doing well and scoring many goals, but this was a bad game and now it's finished we have to think about the next one."

I don't have a ticket mate but you can try using my membership points, I've only got 13 points and they are asking 19 at the moment! I won't be going to the

Bolton game and I'm not in the country for the Everton game I'm afraid, do you know how long your around for this time?

Porbably only a couple of weeks but I want to stay for longer. Yes I saw the 19 points today, should go down tomorrow.

Too right JT, too right indeed!

Terry - We didn't fight

Chelsea captain John Terry has blasted his side for their lack of 'fight' in the UEFA Champions League defeat to Roma.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's side were beaten 3-1 in Rome by a side languishing near the foot of the Serie A table after a miserable start to the season.

After dominating the opening exchanges, the Blues never recovered from conceding a soft opener to Christian Panucci and were undone by further goals from Mirko Vucinic before Deco saw red in the closing stages after Terry had pulled one back.

And the centre-back pulled no punches with his blunt assessment of a performance which was well below par at the venue where the 2009 Champions League final will be staged.

Terry told the Evening Standard: "If we are going to perform like that we are going to get nowhere near the Champions League Final. That's a simple fact.

"The final back in Rome is a big target and we want to come back here in May, but with that kind of performance and work-rate we have no chance.

"Overall it was disappointing that we didn't even fight. Even after going 1-0 and 2-0 down we didn't show the fight and desire that has got us here over the last few years.

"We just sort of strolled and came here thinking we were better than them, when clearly we're not. It was a terrible night for us really. We didn't get going. We knew they had been struggling for results the last few months and that the pressure was all on them.

"In the first five minutes you could see the tension in their team, but we didn't get out of first gear all night, which is really disappointing. Maybe this is the kick up the backside we needed."

Deco was left baffled by his dismissal as he received a second yellow card from Spanish referee Luis Medina Cantalejo after taking a free-kick too quickly for the official's liking.

The Portuguese playmaker will now be suspended for the forthcoming trip to Bordeaux following his red card nine minutes from time in the Stadio Olimpico.

He said: "The problem was the moment he said 'just wait', I touched the ball. It was crazy. I don't know why I was sent off.

"I don't know why we made so many mistakes, I hope it's just this one game. We want to continue playing in an attacking way. We are doing well and scoring many goals, but this was a bad game and now it's finished we have to think about the next one."

This display could have had something to do with the comments made by Anelka about wanting to play with Drogba up front.Scolari tried it in the second half and it failed dismally.Lets get back to the 4 - 5 - 1 formation we are happy with on Sunday,with Joey Cole and Malouda back in.

'We lacked stomach for fight,' says John Terry

John Terry launched a scathing attack on his team-mates yesterday for being complacent, arrogant and lacking the stomach for a fight during Chelsea's 3-1 Champions League defeat away to Roma on Tuesday. The Chelsea captain conceded that his team have no chance of returning to the Italian capital for this season's final if they continue to produce such lacklustre performances as that which led to their second defeat in four games and heaviest in almost three years. Chelsea were stunned by three Roma goals in the space of 24 minutes either side of half-time after previously conceding only four in 15 matches this season, with Terry claiming that the visiting team's poor attitude was to blame for the shock defeat by a side who had lost their previous five matches.

“It was a terrible night for us and we didn't get going,” Terry said. “We've been getting performances and results because we've been working hard for each other and we've been there for each other. We've been getting goals and destroying teams, but we went to Roma thinking we could do it individually - and you simply can't. We need to know that. Hopefully, what happened will prove to be the kick up the backside we need.

“We sort of strolled in, thinking we were better than them, when clearly we're not. What was disappointing was that we didn't fight. Even after we went one and then two down, we didn't show the fight and desire that's got us where we've been over the last few years.

“First and foremost, when you go to a place like Rome you need to fight and show more determination than them and win the game. If it comes down to quality, then nine times out of ten we're better than most sides. We have to start with the desire to win.”

Terry voiced similarly uncompromising sentiments in the dressing-room of the Olympic Stadium after the game, pointing out that Chelsea must improve dramatically if they are to return to Rome for the final on May 27. Chelsea's away record in Europe is becoming a cause for concern because they have not recorded a win on their travels since beating Rosenborg 4-0 almost a year ago.

“Harsh words were exchanged and we had it out in the dressing-room,” Terry said. “It's sometimes better if you don't speak your mind, but it's down to myself to pick the boys up again. It will take a couple of days because there's no doubt the dressing-room is low after that.

“We have the determination to come back to Rome, but if we're going to perform like that, we will get nowhere near the Champions League final. That's a simple fact. Reaching the final is the big target, and that's why we're in this competition, to come back in May. That's what we're all striving for, but based on Tuesday's performance, we've got no chance.”

I love you JT :o , this type of war cry is why you are England captain and I fear for CFC without you !

Terry apologises to fans

John Terry has apologised to those Chelsea supporters that travelled to Rome to see their side fall to a 3-1 defeat in midweek.

Last season's beaten UEFA Champions League finalists were not at their best in the Eternal City, as Roma claimed a victory that opens up Group A.

Chelsea still top the group but Roma and Bordeaux are now just a point behind with two games still to play.

Captain Terry, who earlier this week conceded Chelsea must improve significantly if they are to go one better than last season in Europe's premier club competition, believes too many of his team-mates played as individuals on Tuesday.

"We showed no sign of the fight and determination that over the last few years has got us to where we've been," said Terry.

"Apologies to the fans. It was a great turn-out - and sorry for the result.

"We have been playing some really good football with brilliant movement of late.

"But that has been collectively, as a team, and that is why we have been walking around teams and scoring goals.

"We didn't have any of that this time. We thought we could beat Roma as individuals - and we could never do that."

Scolari - Prem is physical

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari is enjoying managing in the physicality of the Premier League.

The committed nature of England's top flight has been called into question following Arsenal's loss to Stoke City last weekend.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger intimated that some Potters players sought to injure his squad during the encounter.

Scolari concedes the Premier League is a combative division but is not of the belief that players' safety is in jeopardy.

The Brazilian told Sky Sports News: "Yes, sometimes the games are more physical than I was expecting.

"Sometimes we need to adapt to sides that are much bigger than our players. Sometimes teams play with more physical contact, but not to injure someone."

On Friday, Scolari was handed the LMA Performance Award for the first quarter of the season - an accolade based on a points system that includes the amount of games won, the margin of the victory, clean sheets kept and results away from home.

Of his short time at Chelsea, he said: "I think I have learnt more than I have taught my players. I have learnt a lot about English football. I am very happy here."