Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Coventry 0-2 Chelsea

Nice win today, I think we played very well. Coventry had a good game also but our defence was too strong for them today, I don't recall Cech having to make one save. Guus Hddink definitely has steadied the ship as a couple of months ago we were pretty shocking. Its great also to see Essien coming back into the team, followed soon by Carvalho. I'm sure Mikel is gona be a little pissed off with Essien's return as he has done quite well in the holding role. Malouda and Kalou are still are weakest players that have to go in the summer. Quaresma looked lively and played an excellent pass for Alex to run onto and score after a brilliant counter attack. Things are looking up, 6 wins on the trot, I just hope that continues on Tuesday night in Turin. KTBFFH :o

I wasn't able to see the game over here so thanks for the summary,Mr.S.Great to have Essien back and good to see Quaresma giving an assist.I rate him highly and I would sign him permanently.Just wondering if Ballack might make way for Essien's return rather than Mikel?Mikel has done a good job in the holding role BUT he is so desperately slow!Gets caught out so many times in one-on-one situations.I would like to see Bosingwa go in the summer.He's been a big disappointment.I'm sure we can get a much better full back via our extensive coaching network!

Coventry 0-2 Chelsea

Nice win today, I think we played very well. Coventry had a good game also but our defence was too strong for them today, I don't recall Cech having to make one save. Guus Hddink definitely has steadied the ship as a couple of months ago we were pretty shocking. Its great also to see Essien coming back into the team, followed soon by Carvalho. I'm sure Mikel is gona be a little pissed off with Essien's return as he has done quite well in the holding role. Malouda and Kalou are still are weakest players that have to go in the summer. Quaresma looked lively and played an excellent pass for Alex to run onto and score after a brilliant counter attack. Things are looking up, 6 wins on the trot, I just hope that continues on Tuesday night in Turin. KTBFFH :o

I wasn't able to see the game over here so thanks for the summary,Mr.S.Great to have Essien back and good to see Quaresma giving an assist.I rate him highly and I would sign him permanently.Just wondering if Ballack might make way for Essien's return rather than Mikel?Mikel has done a good job in the holding role BUT he is so desperately slow!Gets caught out so many times in one-on-one situations.I would like to see Bosingwa go in the summer.He's been a big disappointment.I'm sure we can get a much better full back via our extensive coaching network!

I forgot to mention Drogba's goal, he seems to be getting back to his best where he is bullying defenders and holding up the ball very well, he has scored 3 in 4 now so as much as I was annoyed at his performances under Big Phil he will still be a vital part of this seasons progress. He had a lot to do after getting past the final defender yesterday, the keeper came out so he knocked it past, I thought his touch was a little heavy but he still managed to bang the ball in with a sweet left shot. Interesting to see if he will be going in the summer but if he does I would love to have Benzema coming in.

Coventry 0-2 Chelsea

I forgot to mention Drogba's goal, he seems to be getting back to his best where he is bullying defenders and holding up the ball very well, he has scored 3 in 4 now so as much as I was annoyed at his performances under Big Phil he will still be a vital part of this seasons progress. He had a lot to do after getting past the final defender yesterday, the keeper came out so he knocked it past, I thought his touch was a little heavy but he still managed to bang the ball in with a sweet left shot. Interesting to see if he will be going in the summer but if he does I would love to have Benzema coming in.

I want him to go in the summer because I don't want him holding the club to ransom any time he feels hard done by.I agree,Benzema is a class act and will be a more than adequate replacement.Malouda,for whatever reason,hasn't delivered after his early promise so I agree he is surplus to requirements.I would like Kalou to stay though because of his pace.I think his biggest problem is a chronic lack of confidence.While he should believe in his ability when attacking players,he hesitates in mid flight and allows them to get back at him.I hope Essien isn't effected by his injury longterm and retains his pace because we can't afford another tortoise in the middle of the park.

Juventus 2-2 Chelsea (agg 2-3)

Chelsea booked their place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League despite a severe test from Juventus.

The hosts dominated from the start and went ahead when David Trezeguet played in Vincenzo Iaquinta to clip home.

Chelsea thought Didier Drogba's free-kick had gone over the line, before Michael Essien bundled in from a yard.

Giorgio Chiellini was sent off before Juliano Belletti handled and Alessandro del Piero scored from the spot, but Drogba settled it with his late strike.

It was perhaps more than Chelsea deserved after a disappointing display, especially in the first half, but they improved sufficiently after the break and Guus Hiddink will be delighted they made it through.

Juve gave them a late scare with Del Piero's goal, but Essien's first-half goal in stoppage time was the defining moment of the tie and the midfielder, given his first start since August after a long lay-off with knee ligament damage, could barely contain his jubilation.

The away goal meant Juventus had to score twice to progress and despite Del Piero's momentary intervention, they rarely looked capable of breaking the Blues down with 10 men towards the end.

Yet it had all looked so promising for the home fans at the Stadio Olimpico, as their side produced an opening full of vigour and sparkle.

Pavel Nedved was at the heart of all The Old Lady's early endeavour, but even after he trudged off injured with 12 minutes on the clock, they continued to ask questions of the

Chelsea defence and took the lead not long after the Czech's departure.

Iaquinta flicked the ball into Trezeguet's path and the Frenchman brilliantly hooked the ball forward for Iaquinta to latch on to, the striker keeping his cool to lift it expertly over the advancing Cech.

Juve were flying and they nearly got another moments later when Del Piero's left-foot swerver was punched over his bar by a panicking Cech.

Chelsea could not get a foothold in the game, with passes going astray at an alarming rate and Drogba and Nicolas Anelka badly isolated up front.

But the hosts failed to turn their superiority into more goals and as half-time approached, suddenly Chelsea burst into life.

They perhaps should have gone ahead when Buffon fumbled Drogba's free-kick - given for a dubious handball on Tiago - over the line, only for the assistant referee to wave play on.

But in first-half stoppage time Lampard fired in a shot from 30 yards that took a wicked deflection and forced a fabulous save from Buffon, only for Essien to beat two Juve defenders to the ball and bundle in from close-range.

The goal changed the entire complex of the game and Chelsea came out after the break looking capable of easily hanging on to their lead.

When Chiellini was sent off for a second yellow card it appeared all over, until Belletti inexplicably lifted his hands to a Del Piero free-kick to give away a penalty, which Del Piero calmly rolled in.

But Juve's hope soon deteriorated when Michael Ballack played in Belletti and he redeemed himself with a cross that Drogba stole in to convert at the near post.

That was the cue for Chelsea's celebrations to begin in earnest and they will await their quarter-final opponents when the draw is made in Nyon on Friday 20 March.

Juventus: Buffon, Grygera, Mellberg, Chiellini, Molinaro, Tiago, Marchisio, Nedved (Salihamidzic 13), Iaquinta (Giovinco 61), Del Piero, Trezeguet (Amauri 79).

Subs Not Used: Manninger, Zebina, Poulsen, Ariaudo.

Sent Off: Chiellini (71).

Booked: Salihamidzic, Chiellini, Del Piero.

Goals: Iaquinta 19, Del Piero 74 pen.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Alex (Carvalho 88), Ashley Cole, Mikel, Ballack, Essien (Belletti 66), Lampard, Drogba, Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Malouda, Deco, Kalou, Mancienne.

Booked: Cech, Drogba, Ashley Cole, Anelka.

Goals: Essien 45, Drogba 83.

Att: 28,500.

Ref: Alberto Undiano Mallenco (Spain).

how did essien play chelsea lot? he look fully rehabilitated?

He looked alright to me.. :o

Big Player for that Mob Essien is..

Didn't really think, for all Juve's huff & ouff, Chelsea never really got out of 3rd Gear to be honest & i think even though the aggregate score was tight, Chelsea could have turned up if they wanted to.

Edited by MSingh

Didn't really think, for all Juve's huff & ouff, Chelsea never really got out of 3rd Gear to be honest & i think even though the aggregate score was tight, Chelsea could have turned up if they wanted to.

Agree to a certain extent although we do conspire to make things hard for ourselves sometimes.Essien played like he'd never been away.With him playing,it was a different formation in midfield and,for 20 minutes,they played like total strangers.I was dumbstruck how seasoned professionals can <deleted>> up so easily.Ballack,especially,was wandering around like a lost sheep.It must have been the worst 20 minutes he's ever put in.

Agree to a certain extent although we do conspire to make things hard for ourselves sometimes.Essien played like he'd never been away.With him playing,it was a different formation in midfield and,for 20 minutes,they played like total strangers.I was dumbstruck how seasoned professionals can <deleted>> up so easily.Ballack,especially,was wandering around like a lost sheep.It must have been the worst 20 minutes he's ever put in.

Agree totally about Ballack. seems he was asked to play a role and position that didnt suit him, according to the co commentator and got the sulks. I would think his use by date is bearing down on him rather quickly and would be amazed if he is not moved on in the summer. He is now entering the comfort zone.

Agree totally about Ballack. seems he was asked to play a role and position that didnt suit him, according to the co commentator and got the sulks. I would think his use by date is bearing down on him rather quickly and would be amazed if he is not moved on in the summer. He is now entering the comfort zone.

Unfortunately,I think your'e right,Sparks.I like Ballack a lot but ,although he still gets up and down the pitch,he doesn't do it quickly enough nowadays.His ideal position now would be in Mikel's position i.e. protecting the back four.

Hiddink - Terry going nowhere

Guus Hiddink believes John Terry is a one club man and will spend the rest of his career at Chelsea.

Manchester City continue to be linked with the England skipper, with the Eastlands outfit ready to tempt the centre-half with massive financial incentives.

The Abu Dhabi United Group are determined to establish City as a dominant force in world football and are prepared to spend big in order to bring in the necessary new recruits.

They came close to luring Brazilian superstar Kaka away from AC Milan in January, while speculation suggests they are keen on a number of Europe's top talents.

Terry is understandably prominently placed on their wish list, as he is widely regarded as one of the finest exponents of his art, but Hiddink believes a man who has spent his entire career at Stamford Bridge will never turn his back on his beloved Blues.

"I'm not in a position to think about that but what was stated very clearly, by the club and by John himself, who made a very clear statement, is that he is a Chelsea man," said the Dutchman.

"I'm not the money man here but he made it very clear, and the club made it very clear, that they want to continue forever.

"There are some players who are brought up within this club and it is difficult to sell them. For the economical part you need to speak to the CEO, but there is a kind of history with him - his statement was clear and the club's statement was clear also.

"I can imagine that John Terry will stay until the end of his career. There is more than money there, there is his history with the club, which is important."

Watched the City game last night and the only thing more shocking that City were the fans.

Now I have been known to use a four letter word now and again (Saturday night comes to mind) but I was bit shocked at the words being used...

Robinho 'fruck off' very loud chants and the one for Mike Riley (You are a c_un*). I expect this kind of language from a LP crowd but not from those sophisticated Chelski fans. :o

Watched the City game last night and the only thing more shocking that City were the fans.

Now I have been known to use a four letter word now and again (Saturday night comes to mind) but I was bit shocked at the words being used...

Robinho 'fruck off' very loud chants and the one for Mike Riley (You are a c_un*). I expect this kind of language from a LP crowd but not from those sophisticated Chelski fans. :o

ah james, you're going to have to get to a man utd - liverpool match at old trafford one day to enjoy the charming chants of 'murderers', 'you killed your own fans' and '96 wasn't enough' which get poured out onto the liverpool supporters. it truly is a cultural eye-opener.

ah james, you're going to have to get to a man utd - liverpool match at old trafford one day to enjoy the charming chants of 'murderers', 'you killed your own fans' and '96 wasn't enough' which get poured out onto the liverpool supporters. it truly is a cultural eye-opener.

I have no problem with songs and chants but could imagine taking a young family to the game and listening to that "Daddy what are they saying about the ref?" Oh, umm they said is blunt - short sighted.. "Dad, where are they telling Robihno to go?" Oh umm, they told him to buck off the horse son."

I have no problem with songs and chants but could imagine taking a young family to the game and listening to that "Daddy what are they saying about the ref?" Oh, umm they said is blunt - short sighted.. "Dad, where are they telling Robihno to go?" Oh umm, they told him to buck off the horse son."

young families shouldn't be at the match though. :o

You've got it wrong,Jim lad,they were City fans sounding off! :D

You've got it wrong,Jim lad,they were City fans sounding off! :D

the way robinho has been moaning and playing, now that makes more sense!

young families shouldn't be at the match though. :o

When i was little at UP sitting in my East Stand perch, i used to think they were calling teh Ref a Banker regulary & could NEVER work out why... :D

How many more times are we gona meet the bin dippers? :o

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER-FINAL DRAW:

Villarreal v Arsenal

Manchester United v FC Porto

Liverpool v Chelsea

Barcelona v Bayern Munich

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL DRAW:

Manchester United/FC Porto v Villarreal/Arsenal

Barcelona/Bayern Munich v Liverpool/Chelsea

Villarreal v Arsenal

Liverpool v Chelsea

:D we should be used to this tie by now! good luck lads.

Villarreal v Arsenal

Liverpool v Chelsea

:D we should be used to this tie by now! good luck lads.

i watched the draw on ESPN. when Liverpool was drawn out as the home team I had that feeling it would be us Blue to play against them. Luckily, we will play second leg at home.

yes stevie, how about the munich songs eh, kettles black etc,

both sets of fans have pricks who sing about these tragic events and are out of order so me thinks this was below the belt

& it's all gone very quiet in here..

Poxy Chelsea, only twice per Year do i want them to win & even then they can't do it, West London Rent Boys !! :o

I read before the game that Frank Lampard had never been on a losing side to his Uncle Harry.I knew the writing was on the wall after that!That was probably Lampard's worse game for months and,when he isn't firing,neither are Chelsea.

CHELSEA TO CONTEST TOP USA SUMMER TOURNAMENT

Supporters will be able to watch Chelsea take on world-renowned opposition this summer with a major tournament in the United States now confirmed as part of the pre-season preparations.

It had already been announced that the squad will be heading Stateside to take on MLS opposition, with a stand-alone match against Seattle Sounders in Seattle on Saturday 18 July.

Now the Blues will be visiting California, Maryland and Texas for three matches in the inaugural World Football Challenge, a six-city round robin tournament.

Speculation last week that we will play against Inter, managed of course by José Mourinho, has proved correct. That will be Chelsea's first match in the tournament with the venue the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California on Tuesday 21 July.

On Friday 24 July we swap West Coast for East Coast and a game against more Serie A giants - AC Milan. The match will take place in the M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland.

Chelsea's participation is completed on Sunday 26 July with a match against Mexico's best-supported team, Club América, in the Cowboy Stadium, Arlington, Texas.

Peter Kenyon was at the ESPN Zone in New York today [Tuesday] to announce the 2009 World Football Challenge and its match schedule.

The Chelsea chief executive said:

'We are delighted to be in the United States again for pre-season. This is our fifth pre-season out of six that we have toured here and it is always a pleasure to see our fans and train and play in excellent facilities in great cities.

'Chelsea, of course, will bring a full-strength first team squad and with the quality of the opposition, and the backing of our partners, this series of matches will be the best preparation and the most high profile we have played in America.'

ESPN, the leading US English-language sports broadcaster, will televise all the matches on ESPN or ESPN2 in the States. Chelsea TV will broadcast our games exclusively in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

'The interest in soccer in the US is higher than ever before and the proof is that these matches will be televised live on ESPN, the country's leading sports station,' said Kenyon.

Last May, the Champions League Final between Chelsea and Manchester United in Moscow was seen by 1.1 million viewers on ESPN2, a record for the competition in the US.

AC Milan are familiar pre-season opponents for Chelsea. In Moscow last summer we enjoyed a 5-0 victory over Carlo Ancelotti's side but it is in America where we have faced the Italian club most often in summer matches.

In August 2004 Didier Drogba netted during his first start in a Chelsea shirt and Eidur Gudjohnsen also found the target, but it was not enough to prevent a 3-2 defeat in front of nearly 40,000 fans in Philadelphia.

Hernán Crespo and Andriy Shevchenko both played for Milan on that occasion, Sheva scoring the winner with a free-kick.

In pre-season a year later we faced Milan twice, beating them 1-0 in Foxborough, Massachusetts thanks to an Arjen Robben goal. Then we shared a 1-1 draw in the Giants' Stadium in New Jersey with Drogba again on the scoresheet.

AC's big city rivals Inter have crossed our path far less frequently although we did face each other as part of 2002's Birra Moretti pre-season tournament in Bari, Italy.

Chelsea, then managed by Claudio Ranieri, lost 3-0 to goals from Christian Vieri and two from Mohamed Kallon.

Club América, the 10-times Mexican champions who play in the famous Azteca Stadium in Mexico City, faced Chelsea as recently as July 2007.

In a match held in front of over 47,000 fans at the Stanford Stadium, Palo Alto in California, the Mexicans took an early lead but Florent Malouda and John Terry found the net in the final 15 minutes to record a win.

Match tickets for the 2009 World Football Challenge go on sale today at www.worldfootballchallenge.com

The full tournament schedule is:

Sunday, July 19

Club America vs. FC Internazionale Milano at Stanford Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.)

7 pm EST on ESPN2

Tuesday, July 21

Chelsea FC vs. FC Internazionale Milano at the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.)

11 pm EST on ESPN2 (4am July 22 UK time on Chelsea TV)

Wednesday, July 22

AC Milan vs. Club America at the Georgia Dome (Atlanta, Ga.)

7 pm EST on ESPN2

Friday, July 24

AC Milan vs. Chelsea FC at M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, Md.)

8 pm EST on ESPN (1am July 25 UK time on Chelsea TV)

Sunday, July 26

AC Milan vs. FC Internazionale Milano at Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)

5 pm EST on ESPN2

Sunday, July 26

Chelsea FC vs. Club America at Cowboy Stadium (Arlington, Texas)

7 pm EST on ESPN2 (Midnight [00:00 hours July 27] UK time on Chelsea TV)

That's a <deleted> superb Tour ^^ that is...

Would be a top giggle with a few Pals too, finishing off in Texas & those Girls with that soft Southern Accent... :D

<deleted> knows what's going on with the Asia Cup then, i was looking forward to running Chelsea all over Beijing.. :o

That's a <deleted> superb Tour ^^ that is...

Would be a top giggle with a few Pals too, finishing off in Texas & those Girls with that soft Southern Accent... :D

<deleted> knows what's going on with the Asia Cup then, i was looking forward to running Chelsea all over Beijing.. :D

Its a shame the economic crisis is going on, I would of fancied some of that if the shitty pound would of been strong against the dollar like it was a year ago. :o

Hiddink considers options

Chelsea interim manager Guus Hiddink could take up a consultancy role at Stamford Bridge when his current contract expires at the end of the season.

The Blues are keen to keep Hiddink, who is also Russia boss, in West London following the Dutchman's positive impact since arriving in February.

Hiddink, who was brought in to replace the sacked Luiz Felipe Scolari, has repeatedly denied that he might stay in England beyond the conclusion of the current campaign,

However, the former Holland, South Korea and Australia chief now appears open to maintaining a link with the Premier League outfit.

"There had to be a contract or my work in Chelsea would be impossible from a legal point of view," Hiddink said.

"Yes, there is such a contract. It expires on 31st May. They offered me to continue working for them after that date as a consultant."

He added: "I'll need to have a look at how the situation is going to develop. Maybe I can be useful for Chelsea in that role."

Meanwhile, general secretary of the Russian Football Association Alexey Sorokin has revealed that Hiddink's employers would be open to the current situation continuing beyond May.

"If Chelsea say they would like to continue we are ready to discuss it with the owners," he said in the Daily Mail.

"We are comfortable with the situation. We would be uncomfortable if it were a Russian club because when a coach comes from a Russian club to the national team he tends to look after his players more than the players from other clubs. But there is no such contradiction here.

"If he says he can handle it, we have no reasons not to believe it. He is a responsible person with a lot of experience and if he takes that responsibility he will perform for certain."

Hiddink considers options

Chelsea interim manager Guus Hiddink could take up a consultancy role at Stamford Bridge when his current contract expires at the end of the season.

The Blues are keen to keep Hiddink, who is also Russia boss, in West London following the Dutchman's positive impact since arriving in February.

Hiddink, who was brought in to replace the sacked Luiz Felipe Scolari, has repeatedly denied that he might stay in England beyond the conclusion of the current campaign,

However, the former Holland, South Korea and Australia chief now appears open to maintaining a link with the Premier League outfit.

"There had to be a contract or my work in Chelsea would be impossible from a legal point of view," Hiddink said.

"Yes, there is such a contract. It expires on 31st May. They offered me to continue working for them after that date as a consultant."

He added: "I'll need to have a look at how the situation is going to develop. Maybe I can be useful for Chelsea in that role."

Meanwhile, general secretary of the Russian Football Association Alexey Sorokin has revealed that Hiddink's employers would be open to the current situation continuing beyond May.

"If Chelsea say they would like to continue we are ready to discuss it with the owners," he said in the Daily Mail.

"We are comfortable with the situation. We would be uncomfortable if it were a Russian club because when a coach comes from a Russian club to the national team he tends to look after his players more than the players from other clubs. But there is no such contradiction here.

"If he says he can handle it, we have no reasons not to believe it. He is a responsible person with a lot of experience and if he takes that responsibility he will perform for certain."

Ancellotti is being touted to take over the hot seat next season,however,that appointment will not make any sense if Hiddink is to be hired as a consultant.There will be conflict from the start.The same could be said for Mourinho.It could be a decent arrangement if Rijkaard was given the job but I think they're angling for a young manager in the Guardiola mould.Michael Laudrup could be that man.

My Spies are telling me that the Asia Cup will be confirmed soon, West Ham, Hull & Chelsea in Beijing ( Beijing Whatevertheirnameis ) starting on the 29th which would coincide with the end of your American Tour..

Any takers ??

I'm there..