The way Thais travel. Do they have any alternative?

Bangkok Barry

A lot of it is poverty, a lot is driver education. Does fatalism play a role?

Every Thai news broadcast features dash cam videos of fatal accidents, so it's hard to just write off as ignorance of the risks.

The intercity buses installed seat belts on all buses, put up signs threatening 2,500 baht fines if people didn't fasten their belts.

But going back and forth to Bangkok by bus several times recently, I noticed almost nobody fastened their seat belts. Have written a letter to the head office telling them they need to do a better job of improving safety belt use compliance. We shall see...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up as a kid in the country in the US what I see here in Thailand is really no different then what I did as a kid.and young adult. In fact my first pick up truck we used to load 10 people in the back to go to parties. We used to ride dirt bikes without helmets and have one passenger on the handlebars and one on the back riding home from school or work. BMX bikes the same way. Is it safe....not really but is it wrong, I do not think so. People do what they do. I personally think the US has over governed everything now to the point kids and many adults do not even leave their house. They are fat, no risk taking, brain dead gnomes..There is no fun or excitement unless you consider finishing level 5 on Recon4 video game excitement or cheering for some winner on Dancing with the stars. in the end people will die from their decisions or risks but why in the US are we are trying to save everybody is beyond me. Darwin candidates are good for thinning the gene pool.

As for what Fookthat said on the front page, yes there is excellent public transportation all over outside BKK but keep in mind, if you can save 10 baht riding on the back of a scooter with a friend what do you think they will do? I know I would hop a ride without a 2nd thought. Heck just yesterday in a pinch I hopped a Motorcycle taxi in BKK rush hour as I had to get across town quickly. I enjoyed it.

Well said. Thank you for bringing some common sense to this thread.

A lot of it is poverty, a lot is driver education. Does fatalism play a role?

Every Thai news broadcast features dash cam videos of fatal accidents, so it's hard to just write off as ignorance of the risks.

The intercity buses installed seat belts on all buses, put up signs threatening 2,500 baht fines if people didn't fasten their belts.

But going back and forth to Bangkok by bus several times recently, I noticed almost nobody fastened their seat belts. Have written a letter to the head office telling them they need to do a better job of improving safety belt use compliance. We shall see...

I used to ride school buses as a kid in the US back in the day. No seat belts. I haven't ridden on a bus back in the states in a long time, but don't recall seat belts on them.

I am baffled where the OP is going with this thread. If Thailand had a perfect transport system, no corruption, and a decent minimum wage, very few of us falangs could afford to live here.

You mean a certain class of farang, those with little money (and skills?). Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia for example seem to have no problem attracting westerners to live there.

But you miss the point, so let me end your bafflement. I was sympathising with the locals who have no alternative but to travel in the dangerous way they do. That's it. We criticise them, but what alternative do many of them have? Got it now?

Get real. Do you think people would be jamming themselves onto a truck if they had a Mercedes sitting in their garage? Do you really have to ask such a question? And ask it on a farang forum no less?

Again, no perception, Jeez! It is those who are too poor but to risk their lives that I'm writing about! You know, those who can't afford the Merc. Like most of the population.

Geez man, listen to yourself. Ok, let's discuss this rationally. We all take risks every day, in varying degrees. Freedom of choice and all that. You know this...it's called living your life. Let me give you an example: motorcycles. Personally, I wouldn't ride one. It's just more risk than I'm willing to take. But I have a choice. There are those who don't...as well as those who ride for enjoyment. I'm fine with that. I will not judge others for the choices they make.

Why then, do YOU feel a need to judge others for the choices they make? If you can answer intelligently and don't cop-out by bringing up children, I'm happy to listen.

You STILL don't get it. I wasn't judging anyone. I was pointing out that those who overload their bikes/vehicles have no choice but to do so because of poverty and/or lack of local transport. Tell me how that translates to judging people. On second thoughts don't bother. You and I obviously live on different planets.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Many things are just normal as that's what they see their whole life, when they spend time in farangland they often see how selfish and disgusting it is to endanger their childrens lives the way they do.

Such unsavory self righteous indignation. I'm sure the Thais love their children as much, if not more, than you do. You're a disgusting human being.

So thais love their children more.

You will not find my children without a seatbelt or helmet.

Sitting on the drivers lap etc.

Even thais that can afford a baby capsule often don't.

What you call love i call selfish.

Many can do far better despite their situation.

This is quite true. My daughter's grandmother has plenty of money and yet has never bothered to buy a child safety seat for her car, even though she used to like taking her granddaughter out every week. Family supposedly educated, wealthy, blah blah blah, but completely stupid as far as road safety is concerned. She's no longer allowed to take my daughter anywhere, for the record. Couldn't make them see sense so gave up trying. Idiotic in my opinion.

Its the same here.... my In Laws won't use Seat-belts themselves, so I can't trust them to use the Child Seat with my Son.

While in my car in the past, they have seen my son crying in his car seat and told me he doesn't like it, we should take him out. My response was that he'd like it a lot less if I had an accident and he got hurt... It took a while, but that have come round to my way of thinking, or rather, they accept to do this my way as they have seen a total and utter non-compromise approach when it comes to my Son's safety....

He can ride a bike, fall off, scape himself etc and when don't go running to pick him up or mother him.. but he has a helmet. A broken wrist wouldn't bother me... it happens, but head injuries are very different.

We can let kids be kids, play tough, get hurt, get dirty etc without risking their life... Car seats are one of these common sense approaches where flexibility is not an option.

However, in places like Singapore & Japan we've used taxi's without a car seat etc... simply because there was no other viable option at the time.

Where there are viable and cost effective safer alternatives ignoring child safety is inexcusable.

I used to ride school buses as a kid in the US back in the day. No seat belts. I haven't ridden on a bus back in the states in a long time, but don't recall seat belts on them.

Well life moves on and we have learned that accidents have causes, injuries and deaths in accidents can be significantly reduced by a few very simple safety precautions.

The efficacy of these methods, seat belts, motorcycle hemets, vehicle, tire, break and light maintenance, drug and alcohol limits for drivers is well proven and coded in law.

Thailand has these laws but a poor record of enforcement and appaulingly high road death and injury rates.

The OP makes an factual observation on the matter of transport safety in Thailand and you leap on him and accuse him of "Thai Bashing".

Your alternative to the well proven methods of improving road safety is to hark back to some imagined idylic period when kids all happily bounced around in the back of pop's station waggon.

I guess you missed the tragedy that befell many and unecessarilly occurs daily in Thailand of people killed and injured in road accidents. Deaths and injuries that are avoidable.

You tell us you don't have children but that if you did you would not let them ride a motorcycle, these are similar thoughts I had before I had children. Then my kids came along and, as I was warned, everything changes.

As parents we naturally become concerned about child safety, the future, the environment, the world our children and other children grow up in. Our children connect us to others in a way we can't imagine before they came along.

The OP and others who observe and comment on problems in Thailand are not as you are so keen to claim "Thai Bashers" they are people who are genuinely concerned becase they care.

A parent of children in Thailand is committed to this place and must concern themselves with a whole range of issues in a way those without children can't even imagine.

Edited by GuestHouse

Growing up as a kid in the country in the US what I see here in Thailand is really no different then what I did as a kid.and young adult. In fact my first pick up truck we used to load 10 people in the back to go to parties. We used to ride dirt bikes without helmets and have one passenger on the handlebars and one on the back riding home from school or work. BMX bikes the same way. Is it safe....not really but is it wrong, I do not think so. People do what they do. I personally think the US has over governed everything now to the point kids and many adults do not even leave their house. They are fat, no risk taking, brain dead gnomes..There is no fun or excitement unless you consider finishing level 5 on Recon4 video game excitement or cheering for some winner on Dancing with the stars. in the end people will die from their decisions or risks but why in the US are we are trying to save everybody is beyond me. Darwin candidates are good for thinning the gene pool.

As for what Fookthat said on the front page, yes there is excellent public transportation all over outside BKK but keep in mind, if you can save 10 baht riding on the back of a scooter with a friend what do you think they will do? I know I would hop a ride without a 2nd thought. Heck just yesterday in a pinch I hopped a Motorcycle taxi in BKK rush hour as I had to get across town quickly. I enjoyed it.

2 things regarding your last paragraph.

Firstly, no way is there excellent transportation outside of Bangkok and in rural Thailand which covers a vast area. You will be lucky to find much public transport outside of the cities, towns and larger villages simply because there is not the demand for it.

Secondly you live in BKK which does have excellent public transport. However BKK is not the only place in Thailand and perhaps only about 10% of the population live there. The rest of the population live in the remaining 520,xxx km of Thailand.

Thais and Farang alike, I could show examples near me where they will wear a helmet on the main roads in the daytime, but remove them as soon as they get onto the back roads (even while mid journey) where they're not expecting to get a fine - same at night time - no police no helmet.

Why farang come Thailand and talk for farangs on internet and always say Thai no good ?....

Thailand not same same farangland, if come Thailand and say Thai no good...why not stay in farangland, but farang come Thailand for lady and get drunk for beer

And ur point?????

Why farang come Thailand and talk for farangs on internet and always say Thai no good ?....

Thailand not same same farangland, if come Thailand and say Thai no good...why not stay in farangland, but farang come Thailand for lady and get drunk for beer

Farang come for sex because so many Thai woman are so soon easy to have sex with.

Think about that.

Yet another stupid generalisation about Thailand.

Not at all, I'm refering to the westerners that come for sex, thought that was obvious.

For those that come for sex it's given away like hot cakes, the Elephant man could get laid in Thailand.

Still men walk around like they have achieved something.

Then why did you not say so. Many of the westerners I know came because they were sent by their companies to do an expat job. I was sent here for nearly 4 years from 1994 to 1997. I was also sent by my company to Mexico, Chile, Venezuela, Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Egypt, Kuwait, Sri Lanka and Portugal. When I quit and went contracting I went to Holland, Belgium, UK, France, Germany, Thailand, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand before finally retiring in Thailand.

Does visiting those countries make me a sex tourist?

As I said of your post before, yet another stupid generalisation about Thailand.

quote from your post

"Not at all, I'm refering to the westerners that come for sex, thought that was obvious.

For those that come for sex it's given away like hot cakes, the Elephant man could get laid in Thailand."

If that was what you meant to say then why didn't you say so in the first place.

She said we all come for sex, she is judging farang, but she forgot to take note of who is giving them the sex.

Many things are just normal as that's what they see their whole life, when they spend time in farangland they often see how selfish and disgusting it is to endanger their childrens lives the way they do.

Such unsavory self righteous indignation. I'm sure the Thais love their children as much, if not more, than you do. You're a disgusting human being.

So thais love their children more.

You will not find my children without a seatbelt or helmet.

Sitting on the drivers lap etc.

Even thais that can afford a baby capsule often don't.

What you call love i call selfish.

Many can do far better despite their situation.

You're pushing a ridiculous position, mostly to boast about your parental skills (who cares on an anonymous forum). So tell me, there are parents who are way overprotective of their children, to the point of not letting them be normal children. Does that mean they love their kids more than other folks? Of course not. If and when I have kids, I won't let them ride a motorcycle. But it doesn't mean I love my kids more than those who does.

That's my opinion, you endanger your kids, that means your love of self is greater then the love of the children.

You never endanger kids in a vehicle ever.

Thais and Farang alike, I could show examples near me where they will wear a helmet on the main roads in the daytime, but remove them as soon as they get onto the back roads (even while mid journey) where they're not expecting to get a fine - same at night time - no police no helmet.

Thailand is way too hot to wear a helmet.

Professional drivers and race car drivers all use seat belts. Just sayin'. A seatbelt has saved my life. Been traveling in Asia since 1974.

The children you see standing on the scooters are not children. They're "airbags." pretty sad.

It has a lot to do with the convenience that presents itself at the time they are in need of transportation or get invited to come along for the ride.

Next: They do not think about the possible consequences relative to the dangers they are subjecting themselves.

If they do it does not change their course of action or conduct.

Next: They are risk takers far more so than what us foreigners are while the various forms of possible endangerment would be on our minds....but not on their minds....and if it is on some of their minds it does not change their course of action or conduct

Next: They are more of a monkey see monkey do type of society and collective mentality.

While we would stand back and contemplate the dangerous ramifications they do not hesitate to do what everyone else is doing and jump on and off they go... where as a higher percent of the foreigners will step back and say:

I will pass and find a slower or safer way to arrive alive thanks.

Plus very few off them think safety and ask that other people practice safety along with them.

The driver of the truck seen in the OP would probably never think to tell all the kids in the back to sit down and hang on tight while more pointedly he will not drive safe and cautious under the circumstances rather drive like he usually does as if no one is in the back relative to the potential dangers of an over loaded pick up truck with 10 school children crowded in the back.....unfortunately it simply does not register on their minds

Other than that many of them would not have much other choice as they are poor or somewhat poor and have to do with what ever they have or have available to them and hope for the best as it beats walking in the blistering hot sun.

Cheers

Professional drivers and race car drivers all use seat belts. Just sayin'. A seatbelt has saved my life. Been traveling in Asia since 1974.

The children you see standing on the scooters are not children. They're "airbags." pretty sad.

I have only a scooter, and quite happy to let gf ride and I'm passenger (even without any alcohol I still tend to be passenger more than in control, on perhaps a 9/1 ratio).

Having had an accident with a car pulling out in front of me when I was solo a few years ago (police were there by pure luck, saw everything and I was declared innocent fwiw), and going clean over the handlebars and the bonnet/hood of the car (thankyou helmet for being there when it mattered), I was projecting what would happen if we had a collision together. One day visiting a friend she almost missed the stopping point and braked quite aggressively. No harm done at all, though I was ejected from seating position, but it immediately became clear that should such an event happen I wouldn't go over the top of her as I had anticipated, but she would become my 'air bag' and be fishing her ribs out of some major organs.

Get real. Do you think people would be jamming themselves onto a truck if they had a Mercedes sitting in their garage? Do you really have to ask such a question? And ask it on a farang forum no less?

Again, no perception, Jeez! It is those who are too poor but to risk their lives that I'm writing about! You know, those who can't afford the Merc. Like most of the population.

Geez man, listen to yourself. Ok, let's discuss this rationally. We all take risks every day, in varying degrees. Freedom of choice and all that. You know this...it's called living your life. Let me give you an example: motorcycles. Personally, I wouldn't ride one. It's just more risk than I'm willing to take. But I have a choice. There are those who don't...as well as those who ride for enjoyment. I'm fine with that. I will not judge others for the choices they make.

Why then, do YOU feel a need to judge others for the choices they make? If you can answer intelligently and don't cop-out by bringing up children, I'm happy to listen.

You STILL don't get it. I wasn't judging anyone. I was pointing out that those who overload their bikes/vehicles have no choice but to do so because of poverty and/or lack of local transport. Tell me how that translates to judging people. On second thoughts don't bother. You and I obviously live on different planets.

Ok, Barry, I get you. Perhaps your intention wasn't to judge/bash. But you should realize that threads such as this bring out the self-righteous whackjobs in droves.

Professional race car drivers also wear helmets, fire retardant suits, gloves, and all manner of protective gear. Would you advocate that for everyday drivers? I always wear a seat belt, mostly because it's the law. But after 40 years of driving, I can honestly say it's never saved my life. I was in a couple of fairly serious accidents while in college back home. Wasn't wearing my seat belt both times, walked away both times. I grew up in the west, so I too have drank the kool-aid that insurance companies have been selling. But let's not get carried away.

Thailand is way too hot to wear a helmet.

No no no! It is a cuiture thing. I have spent time in Bali on many occasions, and they have a law, like in Thailand, that motorcyclists must wear a helmet. There, 98 percent do. In Thailand 98 percent do not. And Bali is just as hot as Thailand. But there they have respect for the law and enough active brain cells to know the law is to protect them. In Thailand no-one has any respect for any law. We all know that. It's a culture thing.

Why you come to farang forum and call farang bad? Why you not stay home and learn English gooder. Then come on farang forum to say Farang no good...

By the way the OP didn't insult Thailand in any way. He was just asking some very valid questions regarding road safety and the mentality of people here. Common Sense really...

And Finally, many Thai people go to live in Farangland and guess what they do? Constantly complain about food, weather ,laws, people's attitudes etc...

People like to complain... You are the one who brought race into the topic. You need to take a serious look at yourself and stop trolling!!!

"Why you not stay home and learn English gooder"

Pots and kettles spring to mind here..

I was joking, you tool. That's why I wrote 'gooder' instead of better! You're obviously not very intelligent if you didn't realise that. I was taking the piss out of his pigeon English. Doh....

...and public transport outside of Bangkok is often poor to non-existent...

This part is hogwash. Apparently the poster has never been outside of Bangkok.

Buses, songthaews, sam-lors, and some motorcycle taxis go virtually everywhere in the sticks outside of medium to small towns.

In fact, the only downside in going back to my home country (supposedly "developed") to visit, is that public transportation out in the countryside is not as convenient as within Thailand.

The reason you see these overloaded motorcycles and pick up trucks is strictly due to convenience. Same mentality as throwing plastic rubbish all over the roadsides.

Most of these people/families could afford the 9 baht to go up to 15 or 20 km. on a local songthaew. Need to go further? The pickup truck driver charges more than what they'd pay for dirt-cheap public transportation.

What they like is the door-to-door service on their own schedule.

Bangkok Barry is absolutely correct when he says that public transport is poor to non-existent outside of the bigger villages and towns.

Obviously you don't live in rural Thailand. Where I live in rural Khampaeng Phet I would have to travel 6 km to the "big" village just to find the 2 motorcycle taxis or the 3 or 4 baht buses. The baht bus will take me another 60 km to KPP provided that I am not in a hurry. There is a direct bus service 9 times a day to BKK but you have to get to the big village first. There is NO direct bus service to KPP.

There are NO songteaws or sam-lors out here until you reach the main village and I suspect the same will apply in most rural areas.

How do kids get to school? Either in a pickup truck, on a scooter self driven with 2 or 3 others or on Mum and Dads motorbike.

How do farm workers travel? They get picked up by a pickup truck and delivered top the fields and return home the same way. Most of them don't have the luxury of door to door transport. If you miss the pickup truck then there is no work and no pay for the day.

How does my son get to school in KPP? He gets the minibus that leaves at 05.40 and brings him home just before 6 pm.

How old is your son? Do you think its a good idea to entrust him into the care of the local mini bus driver/ teaching assistants? They often forget to wake up kids and leave them to suffocate in the heat. It happened again last week where they left a three year old in the back of a van. Poor girl was found seven hours later!

Why you come to farang forum and call farang bad? Why you not stay home and learn English gooder. Then come on farang forum to say Farang no good...

By the way the OP didn't insult Thailand in any way. He was just asking some very valid questions regarding road safety and the mentality of people here. Common Sense really...

And Finally, many Thai people go to live in Farangland and guess what they do? Constantly complain about food, weather ,laws, people's attitudes etc...

People like to complain... You are the one who brought race into the topic. You need to take a serious look at yourself and stop trolling!!!

"Why you not stay home and learn English gooder"

Pots and kettles spring to mind here..

Not very intelligent?? There is a lot of poor English in this forum as it is often not their first language

so sometimes you don't give it another thought.

I was joking, you tool. That's why I wrote 'gooder' instead of better! You're obviously not very intelligent if you didn't realise that. I was taking the piss out of his pigeon English. Doh....

pls let us know where "farangland" is on your map of the world
Bangkok, Pattaya and Chang Mai.

Epic westerner pretending to be Thai and speaking bar girl Engrish [emoji23]

Farang come for sex because so many Thai woman are so soon easy to have sex with.

Think about that.

Yet another stupid generalisation about Thailand.

Not at all, I'm refering to the westerners that come for sex, thought that was obvious.

For those that come for sex it's given away like hot cakes, the Elephant man could get laid in Thailand.

Still men walk around like they have achieved something.

Maybe they have achieved getting away from the Elephant woman?

I think it's fun to sit in the bed of a pickup, not for hours but a short ride is fine.

What i don't understand is why they never wear sunglasses in the truck as eyeprotection.

In BKK they transport the constructionworkers in the back of a big sanddumptruck. 40 of them have to stand in the back of the truck.

...and public transport outside of Bangkok is often poor to non-existent...

This part is hogwash. Apparently the poster has never been outside of Bangkok.

Buses, songthaews, sam-lors, and some motorcycle taxis go virtually everywhere in the sticks outside of medium to small towns.

In fact, the only downside in going back to my home country (supposedly "developed") to visit, is that public transportation out in the countryside is not as convenient as within Thailand.

The reason you see these overloaded motorcycles and pick up trucks is strictly due to convenience. Same mentality as throwing plastic rubbish all over the roadsides.

Most of these people/families could afford the 9 baht to go up to 15 or 20 km. on a local songthaew. Need to go further? The pickup truck driver charges more than what they'd pay for dirt-cheap public transportation.

What they like is the door-to-door service on their own schedule.

Bangkok Barry is absolutely correct when he says that public transport is poor to non-existent outside of the bigger villages and towns.

Obviously you don't live in rural Thailand. Where I live in rural Khampaeng Phet I would have to travel 6 km to the "big" village just to find the 2 motorcycle taxis or the 3 or 4 baht buses. The baht bus will take me another 60 km to KPP provided that I am not in a hurry. There is a direct bus service 9 times a day to BKK but you have to get to the big village first. There is NO direct bus service to KPP.

There are NO songteaws or sam-lors out here until you reach the main village and I suspect the same will apply in most rural areas.

How do kids get to school? Either in a pickup truck, on a scooter self driven with 2 or 3 others or on Mum and Dads motorbike.

How do farm workers travel? They get picked up by a pickup truck and delivered top the fields and return home the same way. Most of them don't have the luxury of door to door transport. If you miss the pickup truck then there is no work and no pay for the day.

How does my son get to school in KPP? He gets the minibus that leaves at 05.40 and brings him home just before 6 pm.

How old is your son? Do you think its a good idea to entrust him into the care of the local mini bus driver/ teaching assistants? They often forget to wake up kids and leave them to suffocate in the heat. It happened again last week where they left a three year old in the back of a van. Poor girl was found seven hours later!

My son is 12 and has been travelling on school buses since he was 5. How else will he be able to get to school 65 km away?

Do you have any idea how many children travel on school buses/mini buses/pickups etc every school day in Thailand and how many times children have died of heat stroke in a locked van in the past 5 years?