Travel to/from U.S. - Lengthy TSA Lines

mtls2005

Travel to/from U.S. - Lengthy TSA Lines

Not sure if everyone has heard: due to decreasing numbers of TSA screeners, fewer people enrolling in TSAPre, more people traveling and entering into a peak travel period, TSA security check-point lines at most U.S. airports are increasing. Wait times at major airports during peak travel times may be up to 60 minutes or more.

This is more an issue for those returning to the U.S. with an onward domestic connection, where including immigration, baggage claim, Customs, baggage re-check, navigating to a domestic terminal/gate, one has to clear TSA entering the domestic departure area.

Departing the U.S. it's less of a concern, just plan to arrive at the airport early, as you only have to clear TSA at your initial departure point. For on-ward domestic or international flights you will already be 'air-side'.

Maybe build in at least a 3 hour layover for international to domestic connections, when returning from Thailand to the U.S.

Familiarize yourself with follow-on flights for your destination in case you miss your flight.

Familiarize yourself with the airport layout, specifically international to domestic connections/procedures and security check-point locations. Sometimes you can clear at a different terminal, with a shorter line, and then walk 'air-side' to your terminal/gate.

Consider enrolling in TSAPre ($85/ 5 years) or even better Global Entry (which includes TSAPre, for $100/5 years). This process does require an on-site (TSA facility at many airports) interview and background check. Global Entry allows you to use a kiosk on entry, which speeds up clearing arriving immigration, and a fast-lane for Customs. TSAPre only covers certain airlines.

If you have airport-specific questions you can post them here, or just use Google or travel sites/boards like FlyerTalk, to get the skinny on current wait-times and potential work-arounds.

Head of security for TSA removed from post

The head of security for the U.S. Transportation Security Administration has been removed from his position, according to an internal TSA memo on Monday seen by Reuters, after the agency was criticized for long lines at airport security checkpoints.
Kelly Hoggan, who had served as TSA assistant administrator for security operations since May 2013, was replaced by his deputy, Darby LaJoye, who will serve on an acting basis, according to the memo from agency head Peter Neffenger.
Long security lines at U.S. airports this spring have frustrated travelers and caused thousands of passengers to miss flights. TSA has blamed the problem on a lack of security screeners and an increase in passenger volumes.
TSA precheck enrollment has taken off
Waiting in one line to avoid another.
Monday at Reagan National Airport's TSA pre-check enrollment center, people without an appointment were left waiting for hours.
Willie Simmons waited two hours to submit his fingerprints. "It will be worth it because it lasts for five years, so I think it will be. It won't be worth it for this trip coming up because I won't be able to use it, it looks like," said Simmons.

2 hour+ waits at Chicago ORD last week, more than 300 American Airlines passengers missed their flights. TSA had actually reduced their workforce coming into peak summer travel season...duh.

What really annoys the hell out of me are the always present boneheads who during the long wait, don't do anything to prepare in advance for the inspection, instead waiting until they at the bins to suddenly start fumbling around, emptying their pockets, digging for their laptop, removing their belt, untying their shoes and end up going through the detector two or three times before they finally clear. Meanwhile, the line stalls behind them.

I always put my wallet, phone watch and change into my carry-on long before I get to the head of the line. I make it a point to wear easy off-easy on shoes and choose clothing with no metal buttons. If people would just think a little bit as they wait instead of putting their brains in neutral, things would go a lot more smoothly.

What really annoys the hell out of me are the always present boneheads who during the long wait

Commonly referred to as "The Kettles" (Ma and Pa Kettle, from the 1940/50's films) only travel once or twice a year.

That's one benefit of TSAPre: no need to remove shows, no need to take out laptop/tablet/liquids, WTMD.

2 weeks ago I and my thai wife did round trip to USA and back to thailand, the waiting times at bangkok were longer than the arrival time in denver and departing time in LAX. this is personal experience and maybe we got lucky, it was the wife's first trip so she was a bit unprepared. what I saw in the TSA lines were many fliers not knowing how to go thru the checks, most had to go thru the scanners twice.

I've seen some average wait-times of 20 - 30 minutes, with max. wait-times of well over 3 hours (JFK).

In the past few years the TSA has pivoted away from "transportation security", fashioning themselves into a(nother) global, anti-terrorism intelligence agency.

Stories from June of last year...

Why the TSA catches your water bottle, but guns and bombs get through

Last week, agents at U.S. airport security checkpoints intercepted 45 guns, an assortment of knives and brass knuckles, and several deactivated hand grenades. Two weeks ago, the count was 53 guns, and the week before that, it was 57. And if you’ve ever tried to slip through with a bottle of water, well, you probably got caught.
This week, the acting head of the Transportation Security Administration got bounced from his job because in 95 percent of test cases, real guns or fake bombs made it past the TSA.
That left some travelers asking whether it’s safe to fly and others wondering whether security measures they often find strict and intrusive are as lax as those test results suggest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/why-the-tsa-catches-your-water-bottle-but-guns-and-bombs-get-through/2015/06/03/7e0596fc-0a07-11e5-95fd-d580f1c5d44e_story.html

TSA acting head reassigned following airport security breaches

The acting head of the Transportation Security Administration has been removed from his job, one of a number of steps being taken to restore confidence in the agency following news reports that undercover security agents had penetrated airport security on 67 occasions.
Melvin Carraway was reassigned to the Office of State and Local Law Enforcement at the Department of Homeland Security headquarters. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Tuesday that the TSA’s acting deputy director, Mark Hatfield, will step in to lead the agency until a new administrator is confirmed.
Johnson is moving swiftly to address concerns raised after a critical inspector general’s report identified significant issues with TSA security procedures. In addition to reassigning Carraway, Johnson said he has directed the TSA’s leadership to revise the agency’s standard operating procedures to address specific vulnerabilities identified in the report.
Why are we spending $7 billion on TSA?
News that the Transportation Security Administration missed a whopping 95% of guns and bombs in recent airport security "red team" tests was justifiably shocking. It's clear that we're not getting value for the $7 billion we're paying the TSA annually.
But there's another conclusion, inescapable and disturbing to many, but good news all around: We don't need $7 billion worth of airport security. These results demonstrate that there isn't much risk of airplane terrorism, and we should ratchet security down to pre-9/11 levels.
We don't need perfect airport security. We just need security that's good enough to dissuade someone from building a plot around evading it. If you're caught with a gun or a bomb, the TSA will detain you and call the FBI. Under those circumstances, even a medium chance of getting caught is enough to dissuade a sane terrorist. A 95% failure rate is too high, but a 20% one isn't.

What always makes me wonder is how you easily enter the US no TSA there

Also coming from countries with almost no outgoing security wouldn't the entry gates be the ones to watch?

But leaving the US? TSA up the kazoo. I tend to think they in reality are looking for undeclared cash leaving

not threats...obviously since so many test threats slip thru regardless.

Which would be better served? Increase entry security denying any terrorist/undesirable entry

Or stop them when they want to leave? Does not seem a hard choice to me anyway

What always makes me wonder is how you easily enter the US no TSA there Also coming from countries with almost no outgoing security wouldn't the entry gates be the ones to watch? But leaving the US? TSA up the kazoo. I tend to think they in reality are looking for undeclared cash leaving not threats...obviously since so many test threats slip thru regardless. Which would be better served? Increase entry security denying any terrorist/undesirable entry Or stop them when they want to leave? Does not seem a hard choice to me anyway

I encountered extra security at Suvarnabhumi a little over a year ago on a flight to Canada connecting at Sea Tac. After clearing Thai security Delta had set up additional screening before entering the gate. I am one of those that is annoyed by rude security like the type you find employed by the TSA. Not sure what they do now, because I would rather not fly through the U.S anymore.

What always makes me wonder is how you easily enter the US no TSA there Also coming from countries with almost no outgoing security wouldn't the entry gates be the ones to watch?

Flights into the U.S. are monitored by APIS, and passenger manifests are transmitted to the U.S. as the plane departs, screened and special greetings can be arranged. I've been on a few flights, where all passengers are held on the plane on arrival in the U.S.

If you are connecting domestically then you will have to clear TSA.

Departing any U.S. airport, whether for domestic or international destinations, requires clearing TSA at your first airport.

I suspect those that want to enter the U.S. "under the radar" may do so via land, or sea?

Now if we could stop those nasty perfessors, and their Al Gee Bra. I know Math is scary, but seriously...

Passenger Fears Professor Doing Math Is A Terrorist, Delays Flight 2 Hours

A flight was delayed for more than two hours on Thursday after a paranoid passenger suspected a professor writing out math equations was a terrorist, the academic says.
American Airlines confirmed with The Huffington Post that the Thursday evening flight from Philadelphia to Syracuse was delayed after a female passenger said she was sick and “expressed some concerns” about the behavior of a male passenger. Spokesman Casey Norton could not confirm the names of either person on the Air Wisconsin-operated flight due to privacy regulations.

I'm no fan of 'security theater'. If all that confiscated material is so dangerous, why do they dump it in nearby bins?

I always laugh when I read somebody ranting about 20 minute lines at Suvarnabhumi.....20 minutes at a US airport??..., that's on a very good day!.

I encountered something unusual late last year. I was flying Bangkok to Detroit via Doha, Bahrain. To my surprise, US CBP had an immigration checkpoint at Doha, set up like any in the US. I filled out the usual immigration form, passed through both Immigration and Customs inspection and boarded the flight. When we arrived in Detroit, we walked directly into arrivals; no further checkpoints or screening.

I fly to the US a lot as a courier and that is the first and only time I have experienced C&I at a foreign departure point. Has anybody else experienced this at any other airport?

Flights into the U.S. are monitored by APIS, and passenger manifests are transmitted to the U.S. as the plane departs, screened and special greetings can be arranged. I've been on a few flights, where all passengers are held on the plane on arrival in the U.S.

Of course, they only get the special greeting if they haven't managed to blow the plane up mid-air whilst crying Allahu Akbar.

Shoe bombs, belt bombs, bombs in small bottles of water and of breast milk, they're all a real and terrifying threat to airplane safety, or so the powers-that-be tell us. And we the sheeple go along with this security farce.

It's as if joined up thinking (or, for that matter, joined up writing) is completely beyond the mental competence of the people that are charged with flight security.

I always laugh when I read somebody ranting about 20 minute lines at Suvarnabhumi.....20 minutes at a US airport??..., that's on a very good day!.

I encountered something unusual late last year. I was flying Bangkok to Detroit via Doha, Bahrain. To my surprise, US CBP had an immigration checkpoint at Doha, set up like any in the US. I filled out the usual immigration form, passed through both Immigration and Customs inspection and boarded the flight. When we arrived in Detroit, we walked directly into arrivals; no further checkpoints or screening.

I fly to the US a lot as a courier and that is the first and only time I have experienced C&I at a foreign departure point. Has anybody else experienced this at any other airport?

Are you sure it wasn't Abu Dhabi? I know that there is a pre-clearance facility there, much like Canada, Ireland, and some spots in the Caribbean...

Just came back from 1 week LAX, LAS, RNO, SFO. I have global entry but did not see any of these epic lines that have been reported.

Trillions for wars of convenience and billions for unneeded and inoperative weapons systems like the F-35 and so-called Littoral Combat Ships like USS Zumwalt.

But go to airport and miss a flight due to lines hous long?

#freedumb

BA had a similar deal with their flights from LCY (London City) to JFK using an all-business class A318. Since the plane needed more fuel for the trip to the US (headwinds), it would land in Shannon (Eire) and while topping up, passengers would disembark and clear US Immigration before getting back on the plane. In JFK, it was treated like a domestic arrival. Due to tailwinds, the return flight was non-stop. Not sure if it still exists. They reduced it from 2 flights/day to only 1/day that had pre-clearance due to the US Immigration guys working shorter hours at Shannon, ie. the second flight would stop for gas but the pax stayed onboard and would clear Immigration at JFK as normal.

Head of security for TSA removed from post

The head of security for the U.S. Transportation Security Administration has been removed from his position, according to an internal TSA memo on Monday seen by Reuters, after the agency was criticized for long lines at airport security checkpoints.
Kelly Hoggan, who had served as TSA assistant administrator for security operations since May 2013, was replaced by his deputy, Darby LaJoye, who will serve on an acting basis, according to the memo from agency head Peter Neffenger.
Long security lines at U.S. airports this spring have frustrated travelers and caused thousands of passengers to miss flights. TSA has blamed the problem on a lack of security screeners and an increase in passenger volumes.

TSA acting head reassigned following airport security breaches

The acting head of the Transportation Security Administration has been removed from his job, one of a number of steps being taken to restore confidence in the agency following news reports that undercover security agents had penetrated airport security on 67 occasions.
Melvin Carraway was reassigned to the Office of State and Local Law Enforcement at the Department of Homeland Security headquarters. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said Tuesday that the TSA’s acting deputy director, Mark Hatfield, will step in to lead the agency until a new administrator is confirmed.
Johnson is moving swiftly to address concerns raised after a critical inspector general’s report identified significant issues with TSA security procedures. In addition to reassigning Carraway, Johnson said he has directed the TSA’s leadership to revise the agency’s standard operating procedures to address specific vulnerabilities identified in the report.

For a federal agency that is supposed to be a cornerstone of US border protection, the shambolic management of it belies it's alleged importance. Twice in two years, different 'acting' heads of the TSA have shitcanned different 'acting' deputy administrators, replacing them with their respective subordinates.

Loads of actors IMHO. A TSA appointment is obviously a bit of a poison chalice.

U.S. C.P.B. Pre-clearance Locations:

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

If you have an onward domestic flight, even after being pre-cleared at a foreign location, you will still have to clear TSA for your onward domestic flight(s).

This is a long weekend in the U.S., but peak travel will ramp up from mid-June.

After shake-up, TSA wait times in Chicago drop to less than 10 minutes: city

Average security wait times at Chicago airports have dropped to eight minutes at O'Hare and nine minutes at Midway, following a management shake-up and the addition of more TSA staff, city officials said Friday.
But don't get too comfortable — peak wait times at the airports are much higher than average waits, though lower than they were. Peak times, which tend to be in the morning at both airports, were 42 minutes at O'Hare International Airport between May 15 and Sunday, down from 105 minutes in the first half of the month. Peak wait times at Midway were 44 minutes from May 15 to Sunday, down from 65 minutes, according to the city.
The Transportation Security Administration is still advising people to arrive at the airport well before their flights — two hours for domestic travel, and three hours for international, said agency spokesman Michael McCarthy.

Are you sure it wasn't Abu Dhabi? I know that there is a pre-clearance facility there, much like Canada, Ireland, and some spots in the Caribbean...

I think you are correct about it having been Abu Dhabi, not Doha. My error.

Archived