Question for the plumbers re blocked sink.

giddyup

The sink in the bathroom has an unusual (to me) fitting at the bottom of the outlet. I have to regularly unscrew and empty this fitting as it seems to get full of what looks like toothpaste rinsings. Why this causes the sink to block I'm not really sure, all I know is when I clear it out the water runs freely again. This fitting looks as though it replaces what would normally be a U bend type trap, and perhaps there's not space to install one because of the doors on the vanity unit. Any suggestions as to how I can overcome this regular blockage? Not cleaning my teeth isn't an option. I hope my pics make the fitting clear.

post-130068-0-32884900-1469260557_thumb.

post-130068-0-70155000-1469260580_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

Looks like the normal trap - but the Teflon tape should not be needed if in good shape with normal washers. It is designed to unscrew the bottom to remove gunk/blockage. Pipe from sink drain should extend below lowest point of horizontal pipe and the outside water runs through that pipe to drain. There are U bend and plastic hose type drains that could be used in an out if sight area such as this. But normally a pan of boiling water down the sink drain will take care of most blockages.

Looks like the normal trap - but the Teflon tape should not be needed if in good shape with normal washers. It is designed to unscrew the bottom to remove gunk/blockage. Pipe from sink drain should extend below lowest point of horizontal pipe and the outside water runs through that pipe to drain. There are U bend and plastic hose type drains that could be used in an out if sight area such as this. But normally a pan of boiling water down the sink drain will take care of most blockages.

What I don't understand is that the pipe itself doesn't block, it's just that the trap get full of gunk, but nothing solid, so not sure why that actually prevents the flow of water.

it would seem that it blocks frequently because whilst you unlock by tacking off the sump fixture the whole fixture never gets fully flushed may i suggest a good dose of soda crystals preferable left to soak over night should deep clean

my wife has bought these crystals locally known as nam fire/hon caution with use it will burn your skin if you make contact evil stuff but sure works well

it would seem that it blocks frequently because whilst you unlock by tacking off the sump fixture the whole fixture never gets fully flushed may i suggest a good dose of soda crystals preferable left to soak over night should deep clean

my wife has bought these crystals locally known as nam fire/hon caution with use it will burn your skin if you make contact evil stuff but sure works well

No, tried that. Only thing that seems to restore the flow of water is to take off the trap and empty it, which is a bit of a pain to do every couple of weeks. Pouring boiling water down the sink doesn't seem to work either.

No, tried that. Only thing that seems to restore the flow of water is to take off the trap and empty it, which is a bit of a pain to do every couple of weeks. Pouring boiling water down the sink doesn't seem to work either.

ok sorry i should have explained empty the system first then soak with the magic medicine

giddyup---I have the same problems & I use a very strong drain clearer ---you can buy the commercial ones MR Mussel etc--but if you go to a decent hardware store you can buy the crystals, these are very strong, you pour a certain amount in, then pour boiling water----your can hear the renumbering /gurgling, and sometimes it spits up a bit , so be careful of the eyes. Clears away (eats away everything--hair tooth past all the other gunk that my daughters put down there ) Tesco use to sell it, but they then went over to the more commercial brands.......................coffee1.gif

** I think they are hydrochloric acid crystals

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hydrocrolick+acid+cystals+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tTuTV5CxELCo8wfPhrDYBw#q=hydrochloric+acid+crystals

Edited by oxo1947

these types of 'traps', a more elegant version of the old 's -bend', will not clean out in normal day - to - day use. particularly in the kitchen where you flush grease and fat this trap is bound to clog.

tell me, does this drain into a pipe / contained sewer system or just out into an open trench?

these types of 'traps', a more elegant version of the old 's -bend', will not clean out in normal day - to - day use. particularly in the kitchen where you flush grease and fat this trap is bound to clog.

tell me, does this drain into a pipe / contained sewer system or just out into an open trench?

It's in the bathroom, not kitchen, and the only things to go down the drain are soap, toothpaste and water. The sink drains into the septic system, which is an underground tank, which is nearly empty.

ok sorry i should have explained empty the system first then soak with the magic medicine

It's not the pipe that is blocked that causes the problem, it's when the trap gets full of gunk. and no amount of crystals will empty that.

my final input i think just renew the complete trap and pipe jobs a goodn

Not sure what that would achieve unless a different set-up was used. Job for someone a bit more experienced than me I think.

soap and toothpaste make a lot of gluey gunk. mixed in: some of your partner's super - strong black hairs.

the reason i was asking where the pipe drains to is: only sewer - plumbed connections need 's - traps'. they are to prevent foul gas to emit back up through your plumbing.

so, solution #1: eliminate the 'smart - trap' and replace it with a proper 's' trap.

or

#2: do away with the trap altogether and put up with the stink...

you can keep the basin plug in to alleviate.

a lot of free advice for you to contemplate - or ignore.

Not sure what that would achieve unless a different set-up was used. Job for someone a bit more experienced than me I think.

if you can't even deal with the most basic advice - "renew the complete trap and pipe " - don't ask for help and just get a plumber to fix this for you.

unhappy i have wasted my time replying to you.

if you can't even deal with the most basic advice - "renew the complete trap and pipe " - don't ask for help and just get a plumber to fix this for you.

Hey, get off your high horse. I already said that renewing the whole set-up would be a job for someone more experienced that me. Hardly ground breaking advice BTW.

soap and toothpaste make a lot of gluey gunk. mixed in: some of your partner's super - strong black hairs.

the reason i was asking where the pipe drains to is: only sewer - plumbed connections need 's - traps'. they are to prevent foul gas to emit back up through your plumbing.

so, solution #1: eliminate the 'smart - trap' and replace it with a proper 's' trap.

or

#2: do away with the trap altogether and put up with the stink...

you can keep the basin plug in to alleviate.

a lot of free advice for you to contemplate - or ignore.

No "strong black hairs" that bathroom is exclusively mine, and as my hair is only 1/2" long and doesn't get washed in the sink, I doubt that is a contributing factor.

Hey, get off your high horse. I already said that renewing the whole set-up would be a job for someone more experienced that me. Hardly ground breaking advice BTW.

no horse in my stable, high or low.

i think you got all the advice needed to deal with this yourself.

and if you feel challenged ask for an expert - if you can find one.

no hard feelings, mate, all good. thumbsup.gif

I had a similar problem, because mine was not installed properly. The vertical pipe was right to the bottom of the bowl. It only needs to be beliw the horizontal pipe. I cut an inch or so off the vertical, and problem solved.

I had a similar problem, because mine was not installed properly. The vertical pipe was right to the bottom of the bowl. It only needs to be beliw the horizontal pipe. I cut an inch or so off the vertical, and problem solved.

You may have hit the nail on the head. When I remove the bowl tomorrow I'll have a look and see how far the vertical pipe extends, if it goes past the horizontal pipe I can see why it would create problems. Cheers. Just to clarify, how is the vertical pipe fixed to the sink drain? Does the sink need to be removed to undo the vertical pipe?

Edited by giddyup

Waste sticky rice washed down the sink <deleted> it all up....I have the T-shirt ....sad.png ....I told her, DO NOT BUNG THAT STUFF DOWN THERE....She still does it......coffee1.gif

We don't wash the dishes in the bathroom, we have a kitchen sink for that.

Waste sticky rice washed down the sink <deleted> it all up....I have the T-shirt ....sad.png ....I told her, DO NOT BUNG THAT STUFF DOWN THERE....She still does it......coffee1.gif

Your posh eh.........giggle.gif

Actually have running water as well, we're the envy of the neighbours.

I have read all the responses and will not bore you further with such a simple solution.

However i will enlighten everyone. These are bottle traps and perfect for basins without a pedestal.

The gunk is what we all know soap hair shaving and froom time to time they need cleaning.

Solution simple go an buy 1kg of sodium hydroxide and just usually need a spoonful to get everything flowing. 40bt/kg

I do mine about every 3week

No need for a new trap set up at all if its not leaking...but just check the outlet has a fall othrwise it will encourage the gunk to rest in the horizontal pipe.

post-150623-14692724818209_thumb.jpg

I'd suggest replacing your sediment trap with what called a "P" trap. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_ trust me thats your best answer..

Waste sticky rice washed down the sink feeeeeeeeerks it all up....I have the T-shirt ....sad.png ....I told her, DO NOT BUNG THAT STUFF DOWN THERE....She still does it......coffee1.gif

Your posh eh.........giggle.gif

Actually have running water as well, we're the envy of the neighbours.

a pity you are not envied for your listening skills/pluming prowess

I'd suggest replacing your sediment trap with what called a "P" trap. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_ trust me thats your best answer..

Can't find anything to do with a P trap in your link, but plenty of info here https://www.google.co.th/search?q=plumbing+p+trap&biw=1366&bih=608&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjMs4HpvInOAhWIqo8KHW_ZAbgQsAQIGQ

That's the same set-up we have in the ensuite bathroom, never had an ounce of trouble with that.

Edited by giddyup

You may have hit the nail on the head. When I remove the bowl tomorrow I'll have a look and see how far the vertical pipe extends, if it goes past the horizontal pipe I can see why it would create problems. Cheers. Just to clarify, how is the vertical pipe fixed to the sink drain? Does the sink need to be removed to undo the vertical pipe?
It needs to go a bit past to create the water trap. Otherwise smells will come up and out of the plug hole. The pipe screws onto the sink. Edited by Goanna

It needs to go a bit past to create the water trap. Otherwise smells will come up and out of the plug hole. The pipe screws onto the sink.

I have a feeling it goes well past and that why gunk gets trapped in the bowl, there's not enough space to flush it out.

from my experience with that model of trap - be very careful, as the 'metal' it's made from is very brittle, and not much stronger than chromed-plastic

Professional total replacement is the only option (I) would take...