Trump to try to steady campaign with economic speech

webfact

Trump to try to steady campaign with economic speech

By LAURIE KELLMAN and JILL COLVIN

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump is trying to shift from a disastrous stretch of his presidential campaign to one focused on policy and party unity. But even as his allies speak of lessons the political newcomer has learned, two of his staunchest Republican critics warn that he could be heading for losses in a pair of battleground states.

Trump is set to deliver an economic speech on Monday to the prestigious Detroit Economic Club in his effort to step past his spats over the past 10 days with the Muslim-American parents of a slain Army captain and the leaders of a Republican Party he has promised to unite.

"Mr. Trump on Monday will lay out a vision that's a growth economic plan" that will focus on cutting taxes, cutting regulation, energy development and boosting middle-class wages, campaign chairman Paul Manafort said in remarks broadcast Sunday on Fox Business. "When we do that, we're comfortable that we can get the agenda and the narrative of the campaign back on where it belongs, which is comparing the tepid economy under Obama and Clinton, versus the kind of growth economy that Mr. Trump wants to build."

What came before Monday's speech, Manafort suggested, doesn't count in the race to Election Day on Nov. 8. "It's a three-month campaign," he said.

Trump may have done irreversible damage in two critical states, Arizona and Ohio, with an approach to immigration reform that some say is divisive, two fellow Republicans say. Trump wants to build a wall between the United States and Mexico and now says he wants to suspend immigration from "terror countries" — though he has yet to say what those are.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who lost the Republican nomination to Trump, has not endorsed the billionaire and skipped the party's convention in Cleveland, said Trump faces a difficult climb in a state that's a must-win for Republican presidential candidates.

"He's going to win parts of Ohio, where people are really hurting. There will be sections he will win because people are angry, frustrated and haven't heard any answers," Kasich said on CNN's "State of the Union." ''But I still think it's difficult if you are dividing, to be able to win in Ohio. I think it's really, really difficult."

In an interview on CBS's "Face the Nation," Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said, "Yes, it is possible" that Democrat Hillary Clinton could beat Trump in his state, noting that Bill Clinton won Arizona in 1996 and that Hispanics represent about a third of the Arizona population.

"You can't just throw platitudes out there about a wall or about Mexico paying for it and then be taken seriously here," Flake said.

Clinton is expected to deliver her own economic plan to the Detroit Economic Club on Thursday.

That's who Republicans want to see Trump fighting — the former senator and secretary of state, not Republicans and others. It's a message furious senior members of the party carried to Trump privately and publicly in the days after Trump last week refused in a Washington Post interview to endorse the re-election bids of House Speaker Paul Ryan, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire. The trio had strongly disapproved of Trump's fight with Khizr and Ghazala Khan, Muslim-Americans whose son, Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed in Iraq in 2004.

On Friday at a Wisconsin rally not attended by Ryan or Gov. Scott Walker, Trump reversed course and endorsed all three lawmakers, saying, "We have to unite."

"If you look at the last few days, I think he's gotten the messages," former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said on "Fox News Sunday." ''It's very tricky if you've never run for public office, to jump from being a businessman to being one of the two leaders fighting for the presidency, and he's made some mistakes."

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said on ABC's "This Week" that Trump's endorsements show he "has the ability and the understanding to realize that there are going to be disagreements and you've got to be able to reach out to the entire party."

___

Associated Press writer Anne Flaherty contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-08

Too little too late I think, regarding the 'endorsements'. I look forward to hearing what Trump the businessman is going to put in front of the DEC. Will it be bluster or will it be something of substance and real value. I would hope it is something special as his claim to be able to sort out the USA's financial problems depend on his self claimed business acumen. I kind of think that any President is incapable of sorting out the USA's financial problems until one of them grows a pair and gets rid of the Federal Reserve and it's fabricated debt that it now holds as a noose around the neck of the USA.

From the outline in the OP, it sounds like Trump will propose a plan similar/identical to his fellow Republican; Brownback of Kansas.    Brownback recently did the things mentioned in the OP, and it essentially bankrupted Kansas.  They can't pay for basis public services.

Trump declared recently; "I'm great with debt"  Yes, that's true.  He's great with borrowing massive amounts and not paying back.  He's also great at forcing lending institutions to 'take a haircut' when he won't pay back his obligations.  Can't wait until he tells China, Saudis, Russians, European countries, and every other country with massive investments in the US, to "take a haircut."

1 minute ago, boomerangutang said:

Trusting Trump with being responsible with money is like trusting a little kid to not touch anything in a fudge factory after all the adults have left the room.

Why does this bring Willy Wonka to my mind? :)

This man's only stated credential is that he is an excellent businessman. the truth is he is not. He has been in bankruptcy several times; his Trump university was a failure and is now being sued by former students based upon being sold a lie; his land deals involve using the eminent domain law to force middle Americans out of their homes; he refuses to lay out his tax returns for scrutiny knowing they will show how inept he is.

I will be interested to listen to his economic plan but from what I have already gleaned it will be a tax reduction for corporate America; and peanuts for the working people. He  just doesn't realize that what is needed is a complete reform of the whole taxation system so wealth can be redistributed from the 1% to the 99%. When he starts talking about this- he might start to get some credibility- it won't happen though- he is one of the 1% and he won't let loose of any of his wealth unless someone prys it from his greedy hands. As Warren Buffet , one of the wealthiest people in the World, once said- "There is something wrong, when my secretary pays more in taxes than I do."

Although Trump has got further than anyone imagined, the moment he talked about banning Muslims from entering the US and building a wall it was obvious that he would never have a chance of becoming the President.  Statements like that attracts the rednecks and fuels the anger but when it comes to it most people will not be part of the self destruction of the United States.

If Clinton was anything like a suitable candidate then Trump would have been toast long ago. As it is, as bad as she is, she is streets better than the moronic Trump. 

7 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

(disregard above quote box - can't delete it)

From the OP title:   Trump to try to steady campaign..........

That's like Trump trying to stem the sinking of the Titanic (republican party) by stuffing deck chairs (vacuous excuses) into the gaping breach (refutations of his lies).

Trump will read the speech written for him by others off a teleprompter.  It's likely he won't mean any of the words that come out of his mouth or even understand the implications of the policies he's advocating.  

And yes, it's already too late.  He can't win and each passing day is like watching a car accident in slow motion.

I hope his fanboys are happy now that we're all looking down the barrel of President Obama's third term.  Remember that you supported Trump because "he tells it like it is".  

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

(disregard above quote box - can't delete it)

From the OP title:   Trump to try to steady campaign..........

That's like Trump trying to stem the sinking of the Titanic (republican party) by stuffing deck chairs (vacuous excuses) into the gaping breach (refutations of his lies).

OT. Just use the backspace button and you will remove the quote box. 

4 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Trump will read the speech written for him by others off a teleprompter.

I wish he would, rather than make it up as he goes along. Obama is a master at that. And he didn't mean what he said either - it's all about the votes.

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Donald Trump’s Economic Plan: ‘I Want to Jump Start America

is

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-rIace/2016/08/08/donald-trumps-economic-plan-want-jump-start-america/

Great speech.  Terrific plan.  Globalists can go pound sand! :)

OK, I suppose  it's possible for someone to think it was a great speech.  But to consider that to be a terrific plan?  Get real.

Trump's plan was a random collection of bits and pieces of other actual economic plans.  It had no overarching coherent theory and offered no details on how he would fund the proposed spending cuts.  Oh, that's right he claimed it's all going to be funded by "renegotiating bad trade deals".  Sure.  It's all a con.  

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSHjOXoYvbAtrFTbFWhJt

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/08/08/donald-trumps-economic-plan-want-jump-start-america/

The most specific parts of Trump's plan were giveaways to the wealthy. He wants to abolish inheritance taxes. Right now, these effect only 5400 American families. In other words, the .01 percent.  He's going to drastically cut corporate taxes even more than Paul Ryan proposes. And he's proposing a childcare tax credit which sounds good until you realize that the only people it's going to help are those who itemize their deductions. That's 30% of American taxpayers.- those with more money.  

Oh, and no proposal on the minimum wage.

Speech seemed a bit rambling and simplistic (shocker), but maybe that's the point?

Fact checking...

Trump's economic speech: CNN's Reality Check Team vets the claims

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/08/news/economy/trump-economic-reality-check/

FACT CHECK: Donald Trump Unveils His Economic Plan In Major Detroit Speech

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/08/488816816/donald-trump-looks-to-turn-the-page-on-bad-week-with-economic-speech

Fact-Checking Donald Trump’s Economic Speech

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/us/politics/donald-trump-fact-check.html

Hey, he had a day when he didn't screw up.  When he goes teleprompter he loses his entertainment value,

Give him another few days.  Hillary and her vp are going to be busting their butts the next few weeks fundraising.  I heard today that the Clinton campaign is running a lot of ads during the Olympics, some of them consist solely of Trump clips of him contradicting himself.

5 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Hey, he had a day when he didn't screw up.  When he goes teleprompter he loses his entertainment value,

Give him another few days.  Hillary and her vp are going to be busting their butts the next few weeks fundraising.  I heard today that the Clinton campaign is running a lot of ads during the Olympics, some of them consist solely of Trump clips of him contradicting himself.

Yeah if he acted like that at his "normal" monster truck style rallies, the racist bozos that show up for them would just stop going. The "real" trump is at those rallies.

He might as well have just said "I'm going to make rich people like me a whole lot richer, believe me, believe me, and you're too dumb to understand, too dumb, too dumb".

And the sad thing is that they are.

:blink:

13 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSHjOXoYvbAtrFTbFWhJt

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/08/08/donald-trumps-economic-plan-want-jump-start-america/

Thank you for your reply, I was waiting for hours to get a big laugh! Once again thank you.  And when i'm at it, please tell me why it was such a great speech, and where will he get the money from to do all these things he is prommissing his fan boys?

there is not ONE economic in the world that will say his BS can work. But than, you are a real trumpeteer and don't understand logic. 

1 minute ago, dutchisaan said:

Thank you for your reply, I was waiting for hours to get a big laugh! Once again thank you.

And when i'm at it, please tell me why it was such a great speech, and where will he get the money from to do all these things he is prommissing his fan boys?

there is not ONE economic in the world that will say his BS can work.

But than, you are a real trumpeteer and don't understand logic.

He also believes that Republican convention was a big success. 

On 8/8/2016 at 10:45 AM, boomerangutang said:

From the outline in the OP, it sounds like Trump will propose a plan similar/identical to his fellow Republican; Brownback of Kansas.    Brownback recently did the things mentioned in the OP, and it essentially bankrupted Kansas.  They can't pay for basis public services.

Trump declared recently; "I'm great with debt"  Yes, that's true.  He's great with borrowing massive amounts and not paying back.  He's also great at forcing lending institutions to 'take a haircut' when he won't pay back his obligations.  Can't wait until he tells China, Saudis, Russians, European countries, and every other country with massive investments in the US, to "take a haircut."

What a shame Obama didn't do the same when Mr Henry Paulson was crying poor shortly after the GFC 2008!........

As for the other countries you mention..........They're already making their own break away forays....eg...gold buying

Note;.....I know gold is not the be all and end all...

56 minutes ago, Nasrullah said:

What a shame Obama didn't do the same when Mr Henry Paulson was crying poor shortly after the GFC 2008!........

You think bankrupting everybody else was going to fix a broken, consumer-driven US economy?

You're a Trump voter, right?

1 hour ago, Nasrullah said:

As for the other countries you mention..........They're already making their own break away forays....eg...gold buying

Note;.....I know gold is not the be all and end all...

Are you aware that  Obama wasn't actually President in 2008?