Clinton, Trump to square off on national security issues

webfact

Clinton, Trump to square off on national security issues

By JULIE PACE and STEVE PEOPLES

NEW YORK (AP) — Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will take the same stage for the first time Wednesday night, aiming to position themselves as best prepared to lead in turbulent times and warning that their opponent would put the country at risk.

Questioned back-to-back but not face-to-face, the presidential foes will address an audience of veterans and active-duty troops — and a national TV audience — from the decommissioned USS Intrepid, which is now a floating museum in New York. The "commander in chief" national security forum, hosted by NBC, will serve as something of a preview for voters of the candidates' highly anticipated trio of debates later this fall.

Ahead of the forum, Trump rolled out a new plan to boost military spending by tens of billions of dollars, including major increases in the number of active troops, fighter planes, Navy ships and submarines. The Republican also said that, if elected, he would give military leaders 30 days to formulate a multipronged plan to defeat the Islamic State group.

"This will require military warfare, but also cyberwarfare, financial warfare and ideological warfare," Trump said during an address in Philadelphia.

Democrat Clinton has spent much of the summer trying to paint Trump as ill-prepared to be commander in chief and too unpredictable to make decisions that put American service members in harm's way. Her case has been bolstered by numerous Republican national security experts who have spoken out against their party's nominee, including former Defense Secretary William Cohen who announced his support for Clinton on Wednesday.

Said Clinton: "They know they can count on me to be the kind of commander in chief who will protect our country and our troops, and they know they cannot count on Donald Trump."

Trump did get a vote of confidence from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who was asked Wednesday whether the GOP nominee can be trusted with nuclear weapons.

"The answer is yes," McConnell told reporters.

Trump is trying to turn questions about commander in chief qualifications around on Clinton, who spent four years as President Barack Obama's secretary of state. He's zeroed in on her controversial email practices at the State Department, calling her private email server "reckless."

Clinton could also be vulnerable to Americans' worries about terrorism — particularly the Islamic State's designs on the West — and criticism that Obama hasn't done enough to combat extremism emanating from the Middle East. While she's articulated an anti-Islamic State plan that is more aggressive than Obama's, she's largely in line with the president on foreign policy.

Trump's address in Philadelphia also included plans to eliminate deep spending cuts known as the "sequester" that were enacted when Congress failed to reach a budget compromise in 2011. Republicans and Democrats voted for the automatic, across-the board cuts that affected both military and domestic programs, though the White House has long pressed Congress to lift the spending limits.

Trump expressed support for the sequester in interviews in 2013 — even describing them as too small — but seemed to suggest at the time that military spending should be exempt.

A senior adviser said ahead of the speech that Trump would make sure the additional spending was fully paid for but did not explain how.

The United States currently spends more than $600 billion a year on the military, more than the next seven countries combined.

Even before promising a huge boost in military spending, Trump's plans to cut taxes, expand infrastructure spending and leave untouched entitlement programs such as Social Security already threaten to add trillions of dollars to the federal deficit.

___

Associated Press writers Jill Colvin and Erica Werner in Washington and Jonathan Lemire in New York contributed to this report.

___

Pace reported from Washington.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-08

More Crooked Hillary lies from the Forum:

"No evidence that my system was hacked, just speculation." [Recent FBI release shows that the server had in fact been breached]

"Info was not marked. When I communicated about classified, I communicated on another system very carefully. I take it very seriously. [This is a lie, the FBI has already said she had unsecured email that were marked classified and the others were also classified by content] "

Don't know how anyone can say they have faith in Clinton after 30 + years of lies and non-productivity...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

More Crooked Hillary lies from the Forum:

"No evidence that my system was hacked, just speculation." [Recent FBI release shows that the server had in fact been breached]

"Info was not marked. When I communicated about classified, I communicated on another system very carefully. I take it very seriously. [This is a lie, the FBI has already said she had unsecured email that were marked classified and the others were also classified by content] "

Don't know how anyone can say they have faith in Clinton after 30 + years of lies and non-productivity...:thumbsup:

Not even trying to respond to the thread, just launch the daily specious attack on HRC? Come on, man. You're just phoning it in now. Don't give up now, we're so close.

The thought of Donald Trump as Commander in Chief should send chills up and down the spine of every American. He knows nothing about foreign or domestic policy for that matter. Nothing.  And not really interested in learning. Can't learn. Doesn't read anything. An 8th grader with a civics course under his belt knows more that Trump and the wingnuts want to hand him the nuclear codes. Oh my Buddha. 

"Trump would make sure the additional spending was fully paid for but did not explain how." Of course not! Because he's clueless! 

"Trump did get a vote of confidence from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who was asked Wednesday whether the GOP nominee can be trusted with nuclear weapons. "The answer is yes," McConnell told reporters."  Well, that's all I needed.  :(

She lost it last night with Matt Lauer: :)

Snaps at Matt Lauer at Presidential Forum

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton appeared caught off guard during the Commander in Chief presidential forum, snapping at Matt Lauer after he tried to speed up her answer.

Clinton appeared surprised after Lauer grilled her regarding her judgement for using a private email server and challenged her on whether she used her email to send classified information.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/09/07/hillary-on-defense-snaps-at-matt-lauer-at-presidential-forum/

Just trying to run out the clock.  What a dishonest woman...:facepalm:

8 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

She lost it last night with Matt Lauer: :)

Matt Lauer needs to go back to daytime cooking interviews. Matt was terrible. His performance as a moderator was laughable. He doesn't belong in this type of political fray. No fact checking, stupid soft ball questions and getting way off track on Hillary's emails. It was Matt himself that started with the emails and let it go on for ten minutes. It forced Hillary to "speed up" answers on other topics like ISIS and foreign policy. I hope never to see Matt Lauer anywhere near the election again.

Critics Pan Matt Lauer:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/07/media/matt-lauer-nbc-commander-in-chief-forum/

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/7/12842856/matt-lauer-trump-clinton

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

So Trump has closed the gap somewhat.  I have ordered a new hat made of pancakes just in case I have to eat it!!   Seriously though, at least this makes it more interesting to watch.  Can't wait for the head to head debates 

That's right it was you who promised to eat your hat if Trump becomes Prez. Could be interesting! Will you video that?

Edited by Linzz

What Trump knows about national security would fill a thimble, maybe, ok 1/2, what Clinton gets right about national security would fill a thimble, probably the rest of the Trump's. The 2 worst candidates ever. Both are walking disasters for America and the world. How low can you go?

8 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

What Trump knows about national security would fill a thimble, maybe, ok 1/2, what Clinton gets right about national security would fill a thimble, probably the rest of the Trump's. The 2 worst candidates ever. Both are walking disasters for America and the world. How low can you go?

Yeah, Trump's big military reveal..."ask the generals to develop a plan within 30 days about how to defeat and destroy ISIS."

Wow, why didn't anyone think to ask the military on how to defeat ISIS. I am sure the generals are just sitting on a ton of ideas and not implementing any of them. You just need to ask! Brilliant!

Well, now as that has been settled, we can all sleep safe.

Edited by Silurian

3 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Yeah, Trump's big military reveal..."ask the generals to develop a plan within 30 days about how to defeat and destroy ISIS."

Wow, why didn't anyone think to ask the military on how to defeat ISIS. I am sure the generals are just sitting on a ton of ideas and not implementing any of them. You just need to ask! Brilliant!

Well, now as that has been settled, we can all sleep safe.

Well it looks like there might be a lot of military personnel that have ideas but Obama does not listen to them, could be why the military mostly favor Trump 

38 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

The only polls he's not doing so good in are the ones curated by the resident cut and paster. :)

Take a look at a variety of polls versus one poll, one snapshot in time. Go to below webste that shows a variety of polls.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

2 hours ago, Linzz said:

That's right it was you who promised to eat your hat if Trump becomes Prez. Could be interesting! Will you video that?

There will certainly be stills if not a video.  It will be entitled man eats hat made of pancakes.  How about you?  What will you eat if Trump loses and will we see the video?  Or do you feel it is too much of a risk for you? 

7 hours ago, dunroaming said:

There will certainly be stills if not a video.  It will be entitled man eats hat made of pancakes.  How about you?  What will you eat if Trump loses and will we see the video?  Or do you feel it is too much of a risk for you? 

I see, you want to draw me in to share your risk. You thought of the idea and made the grand gesture, so you follow through. I have never made any predictions about this election and still don't. Unlike so many on here, I'm not a betting man.. I can only say it's Hillary's election to lose and Trump's to win. But I see you are already making preparations for defeat and how you will get around it. If Trump wins be a man of your convictions and eat your real hat. You never said in the beginning, "If Trump wins, I'll eat a pancake hat."  Well you wouldn't would you because that would sound lame.

Politico Concedes: Hillary Clinton Looked ‘Uncertain’ in Commander-in-Chief Forum

“Clinton wobbled on style,” Politico conceded. “She looks uncertain.”

Politico also criticized Donald Trump, per usual.

Trump gave a full discussion of his policy proposals in a performance that was well-received by the studio audience, which was largely comprised of veterans:

Whereas Trump came out the clear Leader: :)

Off-topic posts have been removed.  

There will be no more public warnings to stay on topic.   There will, however, be suspensions.   The nonsensical deflection is against forum rules; it's called trolling.  

Talk about phoning it in!  Crooked Hillary needed a little coaching during the Forum via an earwig! :lol:

Hillary Clinton wore an ear phone at Commander-in-Chief Forum

hillary-clinton-ear-piece-9-7-2016.jpg?w

james-woods-tweet1.jpg?w=500&h=439

https://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2016/09/08/hillary-wore-an-ear-phone-at-commander-in-chief-forum/

She's so old and worn out she needs 'stealth coaching'! :lol: