Chiang Rai police take in major haul in latest drug bust

webfact

Chiang Rai police take in major haul in latest drug bust

CHIANG RAI, 8 September 2016 (NNT) – Chiang Rai police have reported the apprehension of a drug trading ring with 500,000 pills of methamphetamine and 7 kilograms of heroin seized. 

Mae Sai Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Songkris Ontrakrai led a joint police and military force to intercept drug smugglers found operating in Huay Krai subdistrict. 

Authorities seized a black Honda with Chiang Rai license plates carrying 5 large bags containing a range of narcotics. They were also able to arrest a man so far only named Arjoh likely of Myanmar citizenship, another man named Arsoh also from Myanmar and two possible ring leaders, one named Abdullah Buena from Narathiwat province and an unnamed woman from Chiang Rai province. 

The seizure uncovered 500,000 pills of methamphetamine, 60 kilograms of amphetamine and 7 kilograms of heroin. 

Initial questioning has revealed the group picked up the haul from the Thai-Myanmar border in an area populated by the Lahu people. The group is being further interrogated for leads to other members of their ring. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-08

On 9/8/2016 at 4:14 PM, bark said:

50 years for them all.

I don't agree. If drugs were categorized by the degree of harm they cause, heroin and speed would rank no more severe than alcohol or pharma drugs.   Would you like everyone involved in the alcohol and pharma businesses to get 50 years?   And before you say no, let me add that the people who make and enforce the drug laws are people who use alcohol and pharma drugs.  Sounds like a conflict of interest.

Illegal drugs should be treated as social issues, not criminal.  Lots would change if that happened, not least:  Drug king pins would go out of business, cops wouldn't have access to as many bribes, drugs would be purer.  needles would be less-likely shared, and probably most important:  people with drug-taking problems wouldn't be afraid to go to clinics to get help.

Of the thousands of people I've met over the years, probably 90% have experimented with drugs, and probably 90% of those folks got clean after that. Many of them are now health food fanatics who live cleaner lives than the people making and upholding the laws.   People go through phases.  Some people try a drug one night, and then never use it again.  With current laws, if they're caught experimenting with that drug on that one night, they're subject to extremely harsh penalties and/or (if caught in some parts of SE Asia): being killed by state authorities.

On 9/9/2559 at 10:09 PM, boomerangutang said:

I don't agree. If drugs were categorized by the degree of harm they cause, heroin and speed would rank no more severe than alcohol or pharma drugs.   Would you like everyone involved in the alcohol and pharma businesses to get 50 years?   And before you say no, let me add that the people who make and enforce the drug laws are people who use alcohol and pharma drugs.  Sounds like a conflict of interest.

Illegal drugs should be treated as social issues, not criminal.  Lots would change if that happened, not least:  Drug king pins would go out of business, cops wouldn't have access to as many bribes, drugs would be purer.  needles would be less-likely shared, and probably most important:  people with drug-taking problems wouldn't be afraid to go to clinics to get help.

Of the thousands of people I've met over the years, probably 90% have experimented with drugs, and probably 90% of those folks got clean after that. Many of them are now health food fanatics who live cleaner lives than the people making and upholding the laws.   People go through phases.  Some people try a drug one night, and then never use it again.  With current laws, if they're caught experimenting with that drug on that one night, they're subject to extremely harsh penalties and/or (if caught in some parts of SE Asia): being killed by state authorities.

This guy was selling for two years. I didn't make these drugs illegal ! But They are. Simple fact.

There are laws for a reason. And if someone tries a drug one or two times and stops, great. But we are talking about a dealer; who was selling in a Foreign country. He got caught; hope he dies in jail.

Think about what his parents are going through, these past  two years. Does he care ?

How much worse is that dealer than Trump, who sells the #1 most dangerous drug in the world:  booze, in the form of vodka.  Incidentally, Trump won't drink his own products.  Why?  Am not sure, I didn't ask him.  He might say it's because vodka can destroy families, can wreck a person's career and body, and often leads to wife beating and vehicle wrecks.    Is that better than the bad effects of the drug the hill triber was caught dealing?  You tell me.