Iran claims to have copied a captured US drone

rooster59

Iran claims to have copied a captured US drone

606x341_345494.jpg

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard has built a new attack drone which is similar to a US unmanned aerial vehicle captured five years ago, Iranian media reported on Saturday.

The semi-official Tasnim news agency says the “Saegheh” (Thunderbolt) drone is similar to the RQ-170 Sentinel spy drone.

According to General Amir Hajizadeh, the commander of the Guard’s aerospace, Saegheh is a long-range drone capable of carrying four smart and precision-guided bombs.

Iran claimed to have shot down an RQ-170 drone in December 2011 and broadcast footage of the recovered aircraft. It also claims to have captured three ScanEagle drones.

Last year Iran said it had successfully tested a replica of the RQ-170.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-02

If the technology is there one way or another countries that desire to gain access will gain access regardless of the main issues in society like food shelter over the head proper medical facilities good education for the kids job market for the youth all in all a healthy lifestyle..the government's instead of needing to address these issues feel threatened ( right or wrong ) & then they go on spending huge amounts on defense..in the end the normal guy loses no matter if it's a country like US or a country like Iran..

10 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

It would be funny if they forgot to change the target list settings and it took out an ayatollah or two  

Even better than that, by default the targets are set remotely.  From consoles in Langley or Miramar.

5 minutes ago, johnnywishbone said:

Israel could neutralize Irans military potential in a heartbeat if they chose to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had 50 years of free military aid to the tune of 3 Billion a year and a considerable arsenal of nuclear weapons of an undisclosed number I am sure you are absolutely correct. In fact they could do the same to many many other countries. Just who should we be afraid of?

Iran will have copied the physical airframe of the UAV they will not have been copying the source code of autopilot systems, weapons systems, navigation systems etc etc. If they tested one it would be for show and on Remote Control mode only, i.e. a big flying model aircraft with no systems inside capable of providing autonomous flight.

Some good news for Iran and the rest of the world. I hope they share the information with other nations.

And copying the drone wil have taught them the weak spots so they can disable more US drones . Sharing that information can be a game changer in the illegal drone wars of the US.

I have even less concern for Iran than I did before.   If the Chinese had gotten that drone, it would have been copied long, long, long ago and would now be mass produced and sold in Walmart.    

The Iranians are really not nearly as bright as I thought they were.  

It is beyond me how these sharia scumbags could put up an adequate defense against any modern fighting force, said force unshackled by armchair warrior bureaucratic generated rules of engagement.
Saw it first hand in Viet Nam.
Politicians rarely get gut shot or feel the bayonet.
And that's a <deleted> shame.
Rich mans war
Poor mans fight.
But the are some who run towards
The sound of the gun.
Reasons of the heart.
If I have to explain,
You wouldn't understand.
JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good news for Iran and the rest of the world. I hope they share the information with other nations.
And copying the drone wil have taught them the weak spots so they can disable more US drones . Sharing that information can be a game changer in the illegal drone wars of the US.

Yeah because daesh is so wonderful.

I have even less concern for Iran than I did before.   If the Chinese had gotten that drone, it would have been copied long, long, long ago and would now be mass produced and sold in Walmart.    

The Iranians are really not nearly as bright as I thought they were.  

Not sure about that. They appear to me a very bright people though saddled with a horrid regime.

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

The Attack of the Clones?  What's next?   The Death Star?

7 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Having had 50 years of free military aid to the tune of 3 Billion a year and a considerable arsenal of nuclear weapons of an undisclosed number I am sure you are absolutely correct. In fact they could do the same to many many other countries. Just who should we be afraid of?

Iran will have copied the physical airframe of the UAV they will not have been copying the source code of autopilot systems, weapons systems, navigation systems etc etc. If they tested one it would be for show and on Remote Control mode only, i.e. a big flying model aircraft with no systems inside capable of providing autonomous flight.

Have you never heard of "reverse engineering" - this is probably why it took them 5 years as the drone has fairly complex hardware and firmware which would take a lot of effort to break down and provide equipment that duplicates the functions of the original.

But in any event, it is not necessary for it to be identical and it does not take that much extra effort to make the thing work reasonably well. Most of the basic functions are well known and now they will have models that function in a similar manner as the original.

However, 5 years is long time in this business and the US drones are now even more sophisticated, so presumably they can easily outfly and eliminate older models when they are encountered. Not to mention other counter measures.

I do love how the anti-drone mob whine about them being "unsporting" to terrorists and their families and how they stoke terrorist feelings, etc. How much better would it be to carpet bomb them instead of precision targeting individual bad guys?

They are winning anti-terrorist tool and that is why they are hated.

But will we hear similar whines when Iran starts using drones to take out their enemies ?

Edited by MiKT

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

And the military capability of ALL middle eastern countries If they chose.  

No I'm sorry to say they could not disable Saudi Arabia. I'm not even sure which side the US would be on if that happened.

4 minutes ago, surangw said:

U.S. should have installed a fail safe ( anti tampering) explosive in the drones 

or inbuilt defects (on demand maybe? )  sort of how defective plans were made available for Soviet spys,

which led to the useless TU144 aircraft failures