Fastest Car/Truck you have Owned

canthai55

Just now, JAFO said:

Dyno HP was 1487HP, Chassis Dyno was 1228 RWHP and 1137 Ft Lbs tq. Car 60 ft at about 1.32 to 1.35. Best we could do with a street tire. It was a handful to drive and launch. Burned up quite a few trannies staging it. We could not use all the power. If we tuned it up too much it just blew the tires off. 

1228whp is a ridiculous amount of power, I imagine it would be very difficult to drive on the street when on boost. Sounds like a lot of fun on the track though. Would love to see something like that at the local Thai drag strip. I went to the one in Surat Thani and there was mostly diesel pick up trucks and motorbikes. I was the only farang in the whole place. Great fun to race against the Thai locals.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, madhav said:

200mph trap speed is insanely quick. What sort of hp did it have? 91mm turbo is huge! 

Additionally, the car was all steel except fiberglass hood. Had all the factory glass and the windows rolled up and down. That was all part of the rules for the class. The funny part was the rules stated the car could weight 3150, we ran at 200lbs more as we needed to add weight in the trunk to plant the damn thing. If I could have taken the weight out of it and ran a 10.5w slick we could have run mid 7's at likely 220mph but it was not safe at that speed. In fact it wasn't safe at the speeds we were running. I finally got nipped by the NHRA as my cage in the car was certified to 7.50et and 185 MPH. I decided to walk away as it would have cost me close to $20K to take out all the mild steel and replace with CrMo and a funny car cage. Felt it was time to exit. Loved every minute of it.

2 minutes ago, madhav said:

1228whp is a ridiculous amount of power, I imagine it would be very difficult to drive on the street when on boost. Sounds like a lot of fun on the track though. Would love to see something like that at the local Thai drag strip. I went to the one in Surat Thani and there was mostly diesel pick up trucks and motorbikes. I was the only farang in the whole place. Great fun to race against the Thai locals.

I have been there as well and watched the trucks.  Some run really good as well, I love Turbo power. I was also impressed with some of the flying gas can 2 stroke motorcycles. Yeeeehaw. I considered building a car here. I think at this point I would rather be a crew chief and tuner. Its cheaper by far. LOL!

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

I have been there as well and watched the trucks.  Some run really good as well, I love Turbo power. I was also impressed with some of the flying gas can 2 stroke motorcycles. Yeeeehaw. I considered building a car here. I think at this point I would rather be a crew chief and tuner. Its cheaper by far. LOL!

Yeah it is an expensive hobby. Although labour here in Thailand is so cheap.

Installed a single turbo setup on my 2JZ cefiro running E85, tuned on a HKS ecu etc for a small fraction of what it would have cost in the west. Sold it about a month ago, but miss the power.

Very tempted to try turbocharging the UZ platform next. Although I Just want something reliable and comfortable. These old cars always need so much maintenance and in the end they cease to be able to actually serve their purpose as proper transport.

A report of an XJS V12 top speed of 157MPH/254KPH here, FWIW: https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Jaguar/7811/Jaguar-XJS-R-60-V12.html

Maybe the car I've had that was the most fun to drive was a 1968 Pontiac LeMans, 350 CI, 4-speed, with a quadrajet. All stock. I have no idea what the top speed of the thing might have been, but it was fun to floor it stop sign to stop sign and feel myself being pushed deep into the bucket seat, and checking how much the fuel gauge had moved in that one city block. A long time ago, back when gas was cheap in the US.

Maybe the fastest car I had was a 1970 Camaro, though I can't tell you how fast it might have gone. Nothing stock about it, though. Previous owner had taken a high performance 427 out of a boat and put it into the car, along with a Pontiac rear end. Again, kinda fun to drive, but I've no idea what engine mods had been done to it at this point. A cam, of course, and a Holley carb as I recall, along with headers. But I can't be more specific than that.

The problem was that I lived in California, and California had begun implementing pretty strict smog laws at that time. So in fact, I could never get that Camaro past smog checks, which wasn't much fun. And so I never actually managed to transfer it into my name, which wasn't much fun. I finally sold it to a guy who "had connections" somehow, and who was certain he could get it past the smog people. :sad: Had similar problems with a 1967 Camaro. 327 4-speed in that case, but it had headers and an adapter to fit a two barrel carb on top of a four barrel manifold. (This was after gasoline had first started to become expensive, and sometimes scarce, so going for mileage at that point). I did get that one past smog tests at one point, but got arguments in different years.

So much for cars... Living in California and being at least something of at least a wannabe gearhead, I gave up on trying to hotrod cars around 1975-1980, and switched to motorcycles. I tinkered, cafe'ed and chopped lots of motorcycles some years ago, and that was all great fun. Was always fond of 750 Nortons, though they weren't terribly fast. The fastest bikes I had there, however, were the Ducati 900SS and Suzuki Bandit 1200. Both had top speeds of around 145-150MPH (reported in roadtests, etc). The Ducati was great fun to ride as it had had the intake and exhaust opened up. Made a heck of a thunder and lightening kind of racket, with the sound of the dry clutch thrown in for good measure. I got it up to 120MPH or so one time, at which point I felt the need to hang on tightly. Which brings me to the Suzuki 1200 Bandit. Not much need to "hang on" with that bike. Felt completely different. One reviewer somewhere described it as like being on a comfortable sofa. Long nose, higher windshield. It was quite easy to hit speeds of 120MPH on California freeways and not even realize you were going that fast. So in terms of actual, usable speed, I'll have to give the nod to that big old Suzuki... Never really liked it all that much, for whatever reason,  but there was no problem cruising at considerable speed on the thing.

Current motorcycle is a 2016 Yamaha MT-09. 850cc 6-speed. Faster bikes out there, but 400,000 Baht is about the most I'd be willing to spend on a bike. More HP and torque than that Suzuki had back in the day. The MT-09 will do 0-100KPH in 2.7 seconds, and has a speed limited top speed of around 255KPH, as I recall. I can't say thus far. I've had it to 107KPH in first, 150 in second, and around 180KPH (111MPH-ish?) in third. I haven't been anywhere in Thailand with enough road yet to really test it beyond that (but do recall a stretch of road near Si Saket that I could visit again sometime...).  Have seen videos of a stock MT-09 doing 205KPH in fourth, but I haven't done that yet. The small windscreen I have on it does a really good job of deflecting wind and such. It felt pretty stable on the highway at 180. I know I can take it faster, no problem. I do plan on visiting AP Racing down in Bangkok for an ECU re-flash (and other fiddling) at some point in the near future. A facebook video (Do you need to login? Couldn't find it on youtube) from AP Racing (below) of a modded MT-09 dyno test shows a dyno top speed of at least 289KPH, looks like. Dunno if I could drop a tooth on the rear sprocket and get it to dyno test at 300KPH or not. Might try it. Not that I will ever actually go that fast here in Thailand. Maybe, on a track or runway or something. But there aren't any cop-free roads really supporting that kind of speed around here. Doesn't matter, really. It's one thing to try to get a machine running in a reasonably optimal manner, performance wise. Quite another to actually use all that performance safely and responsibly.

The other vehicle here is a Nissan diesel pickup. Most exciting thing about it is that it's a truck, and I can carry lots and lots of stuff! Otherwise, I was surprised at all the torque the thing has. Accidentally found myself going 165KPH (102MPH?) on a country highway once. Slowed right down when I saw that. I'm not a kid anymore. :smile:

Edited by RedQualia

426? Damn those Dodges could run. Hated them...lol. OK, hated Fords too...lol. I drove my roommate's '69 Roadrunner for awhile until he got new legs and thought he could still drive 4 spd. End of Roadrunner. Even those damned Dodge Darts were bad, well the factory cheated on the HP rating. I still took home a trophy from one in my '70 Cheville. He was actually faster, I just drove better.

10 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

426? Damn those Dodges could run. Hated them...lol. OK, hated Fords too...lol. I drove my roommate's '69 Roadrunner for awhile until he got new legs and thought he could still drive 4 spd. End of Roadrunner. Even those damned Dodge Darts were bad, well the factory cheated on the HP rating. I still took home a trophy from one in my '70 Cheville. He was actually faster, I just drove better.

Yea, something about old Mopars I really like. I eventually put a stroker kit in the Dodge. Bumped it up to 472 and dyno'ed out at 550hp. Best sounding engine ever IMHO. This is the car it was in.

My 64 Dodge.jpg

12 hours ago, sgtsabai said:

TA, about damn time you started showing the real stuff! Holding back for the right opportunity were you? Now explain to the audience what that monster would do, oh yea!

Like I said, it was not a race car, it was 100% street car that ended up quick, well l tinkered with it for over 20 years.

I bought it as a "basket case" in 1984 (England), didn't know what I was buying but just needed a V8. It was advertised as a 455ci with 4 on the floor, l later found it was the original factory 400ci engine, no Internet then. Of course it was a slug, low compression, low HP and daft rear end gears. So put 3.90's in the axle and sourced a pair of 1968 HC heads, plus a few other bits. Now the heavy weight could MOVE.

But, it kept destroying clutch's, so l imported a twin plate clutch/flywheel combo which was brilliant until, with the aid of new street drag tyres, it left most of the gearbox on the black top. :sad:

Enter the TH400 manual auto.

Then the engine BLOCK broke............:post-4641-1156693976:

I could write a book on my woes so will keep it short. Time to build a bullet proof engine. Found 70 400ci block, 69 crank, I used Bill Miller alloy rods, forged slugs, roller rockers, moly and ARP everything, plus loads of other stuff, and converted to internally balanced. To be honest I over cammed it for the available street user friendly  torque converter as it's power band was now 4800 to 6800 rpm, so had to settle for the excellent B&M 3600 stall Super Holeshot.

Now the car would run 12's, which l thought was OK when l saw what similar rides could not do.

Launch torque was the problem.

So I fabricated my own N2O system to fill that torque gap at launch, together with a Jacobs Electronics N2O controller, problem with that was when activated it only delivered 50% at lower rpm and l was still fooling with the thing to get it 100% but never got the chance to race again..

Anyhooooo, my chum had a Camaro, SB 350, 6-71 blower topped with a 100hp N2O, we squared up, he was off the line like a shot, but over the run l was catching him up which told me l was making some serious HP. I ran 11.5 at 121mph through the mufflers (dual 3.5in over axle with Edelbrock Victor race boxes) on street tyres.

Sadly a messy divorce ended my quest for a 10 second street Transam heavy weight, l would have done it..Photo-0041.jpg

Edited by transam

A couple of years back, when I relocated here to LOS, I tearfully parted with my Ford Falcon XR6 turbo. For those non Aussies it's a 4.0 lt factory turbo, OHC, straight 6.

Although I was on the very wrong side of 60, I still couldn't help myself. Bigger injectors, flowed turbo, additional fuel pump. Uprated intercooler & associated plumbing. Remapped computer. 90 mm exhaust. Was making 325 Kw at the wheels. That's 436 BHP. Well in excess of 500 at the flywheel.

My gonads were only big enough to 235 KPH. It was still winding up at that speed but I didn't possess the intestinal fortitude to continue.

Ah, the memories.

Fast is all a matter pf perspective. Are we talking 0 - 60 mph? Top speed?

Or the old test done in the 60s 0 to 100 to 0. 

What may "feel fast" may be a different story when measured by timing equipment.  Transam will attest to this as well as he has had lots of experience in this field as well. 

In my day the fastest street car I had was a 1949 Anglia chopped and channeled with a supercharged 454 big block chevy. Ran 9s at over 150 mph.

Later on I owned a F40 Ferrari. You can't compare the two. Each one was a different driving experience.

Remember that horsepower gives you mph while torque gives you a fast et. It is a delicate balance of the two that determine the "ride" you get. Just ask anyone who has been to the salt flats. There is a big difference between a short 1/4 mile run and a timed 5 mile run. All these guys now running 2000 HP will tell you that the hardest thing is to get that power to the ground. Lots of tire smoke maybe entertainment for some but in the end you want that power to move you ahead towards the finish line.

3 minutes ago, sbcbuilder said:

Fast is all a matter pf perspective. Are we talking 0 - 60 mph? Top speed?

Or the old test done in the 60s 0 to 100 to 0. 

What may "feel fast" may be a different story when measured by timing equipment.  Transam will attest to this as well as he has had lots of experience in this field as well. 

In my day the fastest street car I had was a 1949 Anglia chopped and channeled with a supercharged 454 big block chevy. Ran 9s at over 150 mph.

Later on I owned a F40 Ferrari. You can't compare the two. Each one was a different driving experience.

Remember that horsepower gives you mph while torque gives you a fast et. It is a delicate balance of the two that determine the "ride" you get. Just ask anyone who has been to the salt flats. There is a big difference between a short 1/4 mile run and a timed 5 mile run. All these guys now running 2000 HP will tell you that the hardest thing is to get that power to the ground. Lots of tire smoke maybe entertainment for some but in the end you want that power to move you ahead towards the finish line.

How true.....On the quarter my dinosaur trounced a Ferrari and a Lambo....Of course on the road it would be a different mater, but these guys learned something...

Sorry for posting so many photos but living in Korat there are no car guys up here to share these with. This is the fastest car I have owned in Thailand.  1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass. When I got it, it had a 1JZ turbo 6. Moved out Ok but sounded like crap. It needed a V8. I couldn't afford to import an American crate engine so a friend in Bangkok had a mechanic with a 4 liter Lexus V8 complete with headers. So I traded the 6 and 40,000 baht to get the V8 installed. I figure it had about 300hp and could chirp the tires shifting from 1st to 2nd. Sure got a lot of looks. Could blow the doors off of anything up here......of course that's not saying a lot. lol

Byron's 65 Cutlass.JPG

Lexus motor in the Cutlass.png

Never saw any of those do anything on the strip, you know, standing start stuff....

The setting was a drive in restaurant in a U-shape parking lot. ALL street machines. You back in to a space if there is one and watch the parade. Guy pulls through with a '65 Ford Falcon Sprint, jacked up gasser style, ladder bars, street slicks, and does a wheelie for about 1 second, then idles through. I have come up through the right time.

European cars are designed to go round corners

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

It does look like a Chevy big block and Sonny's is known for big blocks, been around for a long time.

The 355 small block in my old '79 Chevy 4X4 was built by Procell's in Orange, Texas. They had a few record holders etc. in their day. Wanted my '02 SS bad but wouldn't sponsor to the degree I wanted. Quincy was an old classmate of mine and his brother built the engine basically for torque. Busting snow, climbing mountains and hauling elk out across no road country. Damn strong. Headers, 3 angle valve job  and a little shave on the World heads, polished ported, relived, blueprinted, Competition Cams roller rocker cam, Eldebrock carb and manifold, later built to specs. 850 cfm quadrajet, flowmasters with 3 in. exhaust, and other "stuff" I can't even remember now. I had to change jetting when I moved from 8,000 ft. down to sea level but oh brother did the HP come out. It was a beast and many a rice burner learned the rusted old beat up truck was a real sleeper at the stop lite drags. Hard time getting all the HP/torque to the rear wheel through the running gear and was basically only good for the 1/8th. Once got behind 2 Z-28's at a crossroad stop lite with plenty of room ahead. When they came off the line I was right on their tail and stayed that way all the way through most of what would have been the 1/4. The look on the face in the Z-28 rear view mirror-priceless....lol.

22 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

It does look like a Chevy big block and Sonny's is known for big blocks, been around for a long time.

The 355 small block in my old '79 Chevy 4X4 was built by Procell's in Orange, Texas. They had a few record holders etc. in their day. Wanted my '02 SS bad but wouldn't sponsor to the degree I wanted. Quincy was an old classmate of mine and his brother built the engine basically for torque. Busting snow, climbing mountains and hauling elk out across no road country. Damn strong. Headers, 3 angle valve job  and a little shave on the World heads, polished ported, relived, blueprinted, Competition Cams roller rocker cam, Eldebrock carb and manifold, later built to specs. 850 cfm quadrajet, flowmasters with 3 in. exhaust, and other "stuff" I can't even remember now. I had to change jetting when I moved from 8,000 ft. down to sea level but oh brother did the HP come out. It was a beast and many a rice burner learned the rusted old beat up truck was a real sleeper at the stop lite drags. Hard time getting all the HP/torque to the rear wheel through the running gear and was basically only good for the 1/8th. Once got behind 2 Z-28's at a crossroad stop lite with plenty of room ahead. When they came off the line I was right on their tail and stayed that way all the way through most of what would have been the 1/4. The look on the face in the Z-28 rear view mirror-priceless....lol.

Dollar for dollar you can't beat a small block Chevy for speed. In the 70's I had a Keith Black 327 in a 57 Chevy 210. Ran 11:80s all day long straight off the street. All I had to do was open the dump tubes and go.

Now a days you can buy a SBC 383 with 435hp for around $7,000US. My 426 Hemi with 465hp cost me $17,000US. That's more than a lot of guys have in their complete cars.

20 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I never did that, 5-bearing crank thing, but such surgery kits were advertised in the magazines.

No, no rocket.

Fairly plain brushing up.

Increasing compression through slicing down the cylinder head.

Increasing cylinder volume/bore through honing/drilling.

Lighter weight rods and pistons.

Rebuild of carbs and intake manifold stuff

More square camshafts and stone hard springs and pushrods to go (+valves to go) (or go all the way to OHC)

ignition stuff to go

this gets you a long long way

Yet does nothing for top end speed.

2 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Dollar for dollar you can't beat a small block Chevy for speed. In the 70's I had a Keith Black 327 in a 57 Chevy 210. Ran 11:80s all day long straight off the street. All I had to do was open the dump tubes and go.

Now a days you can buy a SBC 383 with 435hp for around $7,000US. My 426 Hemi with 465hp cost me $17,000US. That's more than a lot of guys have in their complete cars.

We imported a totally brand new GM ZZ383 SB.....At the time it was 425hp out of the box...

18 hours ago, JAFO said:

Fast and quick are a bit different. I had a SCCA 1969 Camaro Z/28 that ran incredibly quick lap times. The pic below is my 67 Nova SS that ran high 7's at 200 MPH in the 1/4 mile on a 12.5 ET street tire. It was street legal and I drove it on and off to the stores and weekends. It was a 331ci all aluminum SBC with a 91mm turbo.

JPNova_zpsiiap0n72.jpg

High 7's @ 200mph that don't sound right, how much did it weigh and what did it 60' @ ?

24 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

High 7's @ 200mph that don't sound right, how much did it weigh and what did it 60' @ ?

Post # 118 has a quick summary. Back 13 years ago when we built this thing everybody did BIG multi stage N20 kits, turbo cars were coming of age and they always left relatively lazy and then you poured on the power after the 330 ft mark and run big MPH. Easy to do with EFI and 160 lb injectors and an air to water intercooler. On avg it would run 190ish. 200 was not standard by any means but we did do it. We could never use all the power not with a Mickey Thompson 12.5 ET street tire.   There are guys running 190 - 200 now on drag radials which I find crazy but all turbo cars and many run twins now. 

46 minutes ago, transam said:

We imported a totally brand new GM ZZ383 SB.....At the time it was 425hp out of the box...

Must have done some head work since you bought yours as they are now up to 435hp. That's a lot of HP from a SB. I can remember when the bench mark use to be one HP per cubic inch, lol

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/sp383.html

Edited by Rdrokit

11 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Post # 118 has a quick summary. Back 13 years ago when we built this thing everybody did BIG multi stage N20 kits, turbo cars were coming of age and they always left relatively lazy and then you poured on the power after the 330 ft mark and run big MPH. Easy to do with EFI and 160 lb injectors and an air to water intercooler. On avg it would run 190ish. 200 was not standard by any means but we did do it. We could never use all the power not with a Mickey Thompson 12.5 ET street tire.   There are guys running 190 - 200 now on drag radials which I find crazy but all turbo cars and many run twins now. 

yeah ok, lazy 60' hurts the ET. If only you coulda stuck the power that 200mph should got you into real low 7's /high 6's.

Edited by Don Mega

Well I do not know about 6's but 7.30 -7.40 Absolutely. One day we were going to swap on some  33 x10.5W slicks and tune it up a bit and try and leave at 15 lbs of boost. (we typically left at 8 as the tires just could not take the power).The thought was try and hook up and pull a 1.15 to 1.17 60 ft. However NHRA techs were watching a few cars( mine being one) because we had been warned about our MPH and our chassis certs. My car was a mild steel mini tubbed deal and still had the full Nova front clip. No extended cage into the engine compartment either. They also didn't like I had all the factory glass in the car. I understood the safety aspect of it all. I had been warned a couple of times. This is why I decided to quit. I didn't want to do a full tubbed CrMo chassis. Cost was the biggest reason, the other to me it would no longer be a street car and I grew up street racing. Sadly the guy that bought the car grenaded the motor and damaged the car. I never saw it,  friends told me about it. 

18 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Well I do not know about 6's but 7.30 -7.40 Absolutely. One day we were going to swap on some  33 x10.5W slicks and tune it up a bit and try and leave at 15 lbs of boost. (we typically left at 8 as the tires just could not take the power).The thought was try and hook up and pull a 1.15 to 1.17 60 ft. However NHRA techs were watching a few cars( mine being one) because we had been warned about our MPH and our chassis certs. My car was a mild steel mini tubbed deal and still had the full Nova front clip. No extended cage into the engine compartment either. They also didn't like I had all the factory glass in the car. I understood the safety aspect of it all. I had been warned a couple of times. This is why I decided to quit. I didn't want to do a full tubbed CrMo chassis. Cost was the biggest reason, the other to me it would no longer be a street car and I grew up street racing. Sadly the guy that bought the car grenaded the motor and damaged the car. I never saw it,  friends told me about it. 

yuck small tire and lots of pork.

One HP per CU, long time ago. Back when I was in Jr. High and early High School my neighbor had a 57 FI Vette. 1 HP per CU. He was always tinkering with it and I'm sure the neighbors stayed pissed off when Larry uncorked the headers and let 'er rip while tuning. He left and went to college. Oh but so sorry neighbors, here I came with the 409, Pretty damn loud unplugged, sorry 'bout that...lol. Many, many yrs. later I stopped to talk to his younger brother who I ran around with after VN. Larry was there. He said "well I'll be damned", I was in the Camaro SS...lol. Poor man's Vette. Any of you hot-rodders remember Dan Cunningham who ran Vettes? Nat'l champ and record holder. Just a little shop but he knew how to make that small block sing.