West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Another great win against the lowly Hammers!

West Ham 0-4 Chelsea

Chelsea had Frank Lampard red-carded but romped to victory at West Ham.

Lampard's penalty after Salomon Kalou was fouled by Anton Ferdinand put his side ahead before Joe Cole angled in a precise shot for Chelsea's second.

Michael Ballack expertly half-volleyed in a third for the visitors, who had Lampard harshly red-carded for a push on Luis Boa Morte after 36 minutes.

Carlton Cole had a shot cleared off the line for West Ham but Ashley Cole's acute shot wrapped up Chelsea's win.

Blues boss Avram Grant had taken a swipe at the media in the run-up to the game, angry at negative coverage following the Carling Cup final loss to Tottenham.

And he showed little mercy with his team selection either as he made six changes to the starting XI.

The Blues should have been a goal up after two minutes when Nicolas Anelka had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

The Frenchman thought he had scored when he slotted home after John Terry's header had been parried.

But Chelsea did not have long to wait to take the lead, with Hammers centre-back Ferdinand conceding a penalty for a trip on Kalou.

Lampard stepped up to send Robert Green the wrong way for the first of three Chelsea goals in the space five minutes.

Joe Cole added a second, showing fine control before firing a shot into the far corner of the net, before Ballack lashed home a low shot after being picked out by a Lampard cross.

Chelsea had virtually sealed victory over the Hammers with just 22 minutes on the clock, showing more fluency and attacking flair than in 120 minutes of action against Spurs.

The home side did manage to test Petr Cech, the goalkeeper tipping over a Mark Noble shot.

But Chelsea remained untroubled, even after Lampard was red-carded.

The midfielder tangled on the ground with Boa Morte and then pushed the winger after appearing to get caught by a kick.

Referee Peter Walton consulted his assistant before brandishing his red card and then booked Ballack for his part in the melee that ensued.

Another Noble strike was headed away as the home side tried to capitalise on their numerical advantage, but Chelsea held out until half-time.

West Ham struggled to create chances, but Carlton Cole must have thought he had scored when he dinked the ball over the on-rushing Cech only for Terry to clear off the line.

Ashley Cole then made it 4-0 when he sidefooted home from a tight angle after Joe Cole's shot had been parried.

The goal was the sign for Hammers fans to start trudging for the exit, their team emphatically beaten.

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley:

"It's a really bad day for us and we feel dreadfully disappointed for us and the fans.

"My players have done fantastically well this season. We have had major injury problems. I'm not going to criticise them."

On the red card he said: "I did see Frank push out but it was a soft dismissal."

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"We will do everything to do it (win the title). I never give in and I will not start now at my age.

"We started very well and if it was not a red card maybe the score would have been higher.

"I am very happy. The players showed fighting spirit and passion."

West Ham: Green, Neill, Ferdinand, Upson, McCartney, Faubert (Solano 66), Noble, Mullins, Ljungberg, Boa Morte (Ashton 46), Cole (Zamora 65). Subs Not Used: Wright, Spector.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ballack, Makelele (Alex 84), Lampard, Kalou (Malouda 75), Anelka, Joe Cole (Essien 69). Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Drogba.

Sent Off: Lampard (36).

Booked: Ballack, Terry.

Goals: Lampard 17 pen, Joe Cole 20, Ballack 22, Ashley Cole 64.

Att: 34,969

Ref: Peter Walton (Northamptonshire).

1-1 today Gentlemen, 1-2 at Anfield, our first win in 1,000,000 years & then a sneaky 0-3 at <deleted> Fart Lane.. :D

I've got this idea that we're goint to win at Anfield too.

But there again:

"Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man."

Friedrich Nietzsche

:D

Great quote HH but as you know hope is always seen as the teasing, tantalising thing it really is, when we sing 'Bubbles' :o

Good point about the greatly inspiring 'Bubbles'.

Anyway, always look on the bright side of life. de dum, de dum, de dum, de dum.

Spurs lost 4-1

Geordies lost 1-0

Villa only gained a point

Reo Coker injured

Lampard sent off

Sears scored for the U18's

Beware Scousers of the bite from the wounded animal. :D

Just hope our nuts are still entact! :D Talking of the dog's <deleted>, I hope Curbish gives Freddie Sears a run out from the bench at Anfield because we don't look like scoring with Deano at the moment. He just seems off the pace. What's going on in training? :D

1-1 today Gentlemen, 1-2 at Anfield, our first win in 1,000,000 years & then a sneaky 0-3 at <deleted> Fart Lane.. :D

But there again:

Friedrich Nietzsche

Great quote HH but as you know hope is always seen as the teasing, tantalising thing it really is, when we sing 'Bubbles' :o

Spurs lost 4-1

Geordies lost 1-0

Reo Coker injured

Lampard sent off

Beware Scousers of the bite from the wounded animal. B)

Just hope our nuts are still entact! :D Talking of the dog's <deleted>, I hope Curbish gives Freddie Sears a run out from the bench at Anfield because we don't look like scoring with Deano at the moment. He just seems off the pace. What's going on in training? :D

l think Curbishley has done a great job for us, but l think yesterday highlighted his lack of tactics, by the time Ashton came on at half time we were 3 down, surely he has to stop playing this one up front and maybe start Ashton and Cole in a 4-4-2. Ashton needs minutes on the pitch, but right now l don't think he deserves his place, what about giving the boy Sears a go ???

Still seeing Lampard get sent off softens the blow of losing by 4 !!!!! :D:D

But there again:

Friedrich Nietzsche

Spurs lost 4-1

Geordies lost 1-0

Reo Coker injured

Lampard sent off

Beware Scousers of the bite from the wounded animal. B)

l think Curbishley has done a great job for us, but l think yesterday highlighted his lack of tactics, by the time Ashton came on at half time we were 3 down, surely he has to stop playing this one up front and maybe start Ashton and Cole in a 4-4-2. Ashton needs minutes on the pitch, but right now l don't think he deserves his place, what about giving the boy Sears a go ???

Still seeing Lampard get sent off softens the blow of losing by 4 !!!!! :D:D

But to be fair, we hadn't done an awful lo wrong to be 4-0 down. Silly mistake by Ferdinand and what was Green thinking about for their third ? Still got to ask why LBM over Ashton ? Time for Ashton and Zamora with a run out for Sears I reckon.

Admittedly, although Curbs has done very well with what he's had at his disposal, this 40 points and the fizzling out does have a certain Charltonesque feel about it. Glad that those 'supporters' who might have booed the team slunked out after they scored their third though.

Another great win against the lowly Hammers!

West Ham 0-4 Chelsea

Chelsea had Frank Lampard red-carded but romped to victory at West Ham.

Lampard's penalty after Salomon Kalou was fouled by Anton Ferdinand put his side ahead before Joe Cole angled in a precise shot for Chelsea's second.

Michael Ballack expertly half-volleyed in a third for the visitors, who had Lampard harshly red-carded for a push on Luis Boa Morte after 36 minutes.

Carlton Cole had a shot cleared off the line for West Ham but Ashley Cole's acute shot wrapped up Chelsea's win.

Blues boss Avram Grant had taken a swipe at the media in the run-up to the game, angry at negative coverage following the Carling Cup final loss to Tottenham.

And he showed little mercy with his team selection either as he made six changes to the starting XI.

The Blues should have been a goal up after two minutes when Nicolas Anelka had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

The Frenchman thought he had scored when he slotted home after John Terry's header had been parried.

But Chelsea did not have long to wait to take the lead, with Hammers centre-back Ferdinand conceding a penalty for a trip on Kalou.

Lampard stepped up to send Robert Green the wrong way for the first of three Chelsea goals in the space five minutes.

Joe Cole added a second, showing fine control before firing a shot into the far corner of the net, before Ballack lashed home a low shot after being picked out by a Lampard cross.

Chelsea had virtually sealed victory over the Hammers with just 22 minutes on the clock, showing more fluency and attacking flair than in 120 minutes of action against Spurs.

The home side did manage to test Petr Cech, the goalkeeper tipping over a Mark Noble shot.

But Chelsea remained untroubled, even after Lampard was red-carded.

The midfielder tangled on the ground with Boa Morte and then pushed the winger after appearing to get caught by a kick.

Referee Peter Walton consulted his assistant before brandishing his red card and then booked Ballack for his part in the melee that ensued.

Another Noble strike was headed away as the home side tried to capitalise on their numerical advantage, but Chelsea held out until half-time.

West Ham struggled to create chances, but Carlton Cole must have thought he had scored when he dinked the ball over the on-rushing Cech only for Terry to clear off the line.

Ashley Cole then made it 4-0 when he sidefooted home from a tight angle after Joe Cole's shot had been parried.

The goal was the sign for Hammers fans to start trudging for the exit, their team emphatically beaten.

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley:

"It's a really bad day for us and we feel dreadfully disappointed for us and the fans.

"My players have done fantastically well this season. We have had major injury problems. I'm not going to criticise them."

On the red card he said: "I did see Frank push out but it was a soft dismissal."

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"We will do everything to do it (win the title). I never give in and I will not start now at my age.

"We started very well and if it was not a red card maybe the score would have been higher.

"I am very happy. The players showed fighting spirit and passion."

West Ham: Green, Neill, Ferdinand, Upson, McCartney, Faubert (Solano 66), Noble, Mullins, Ljungberg, Boa Morte (Ashton 46), Cole (Zamora 65). Subs Not Used: Wright, Spector.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ballack, Makelele (Alex 84), Lampard, Kalou (Malouda 75), Anelka, Joe Cole (Essien 69). Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Drogba.

Sent Off: Lampard (36).

Booked: Ballack, Terry.

Goals: Lampard 17 pen, Joe Cole 20, Ballack 22, Ashley Cole 64.

Att: 34,969

Ref: Peter Walton (Northamptonshire).

Thanks fopr that Seapok, i'm sure we wouldnt have realised unless you posted that... :o

Very dissapointing to see the Crowd streaming away after Ca$hley cole scored the 4th.

Never say die lads.

I might not say die but i will say that last night was worse than Saturday, & that saying something. For the first time ever i actually contemplated turning the TV off after about 65 mins last night, i didn't & i never have done that or walk out of a Match before the Ref blew his whistle but i was very, very dissapointed with our performance, quality level, Managerial decisions, defending, attacking & just about everything else i could be dissapointed with, i was..A bad, bad day at the Office in the game before argubly our biggest of the Season, they better raise themselves & put in a better performancve, with a much improved result on Sunday, or the Manager will feel the heat of the Fans & the Man who has invested his millions into the Club.

A quick question for hammers fans

What do you think of Freddie Ljunberg :o ( is he just picking up his wages )????.

Every time he played against us whilst with the gooners he was a bloody pain in the hoop but after watching him play against us last night I reckon he is well past it , he was absolute sh#te :D .

I hope maybe he is just coming back from an injury or something but he was awful last night and seen as he is only 30 he should have a few more seasons left at the top level and give West Ham a few good performances.

What do you think of Freddie Ljunberg :o ( is he just picking up his wages )????.

Every time he played against us whilst with the gooners he was a bloody pain in the hoop but after watching him play against us last night I reckon he is well past it , he was absolute sh#te :D .

I hope maybe he is just coming back from an injury or something but he was awful last night and seen as he is only 30 he should have a few more seasons left at the top level and give West Ham a few good performances.

Strangely enough, he is the one player who has put in a good performance over the last few weeks, although yes he was flat yesterday but there were worse culprits than him. Luca Neil gave a terrible display, as did Mullins, Solano, Anton. It was a flat display which became more toe curling-from a Hammers perspective-as the evening wore on. Credit to 'Pool you were up for it and scored some good goals yesterday. If they put another display like this against Tottenham, at the weekend, the natives will be very restless. :D Good luck for the Inter game, by the way :D

Strangely enough, he is the one player who has put in a good performance over the last few weeks, although yes he was flat yesterday but there were worse culprits than him. Luca Neil gave a terrible display, as did Mullins, Solano, Anton. It was a flat display which became more toe curling-from a Hammers perspective-as the evening wore on. Credit to 'Pool you were up for it and scored some good goals yesterday. If they put another display like this against Tottenham, at the weekend, the natives will be very restless. :DGood luck for the Inter game, by the way :D

Cheers Keddy :D .

To be fair on Freddie last night was the first time I've seen him play a full 90 minutes for West Ham live and maybe it wasnt the best game to judge him on .

It was just a bit of a shock for me to see how much Riise dominated him after seeing Freddie turn over Riise numerous times when playing for the gooners.

Ljungberg has been better ( he wasn't too good at all in the first half of the season, was injured, fleeting appearences etc ) over the last 6 or so Games but is not a shadow of the Player he was at Arsenal..

Tottenham 4-0 West Ham

By Saj Chowdhury

Berbatov's double effectively put the game beyond West Ham

Two first-half goals from Dimitar Berbatov helped ease Spurs to victory over 10-man West Ham.

Both of Berbatov's goals came in the first 10 minutes and both were headers from Tom Huddlestone free-kicks.

Things took a turn for the worse for the visitors when Luis Boa Morte was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge on Aaron Lennon.

Substitute Gilberto drilled in the third before Darren Bent made it 4-0 with a header from Alan Hutton's cross.

The result could have been very different had West Ham taken advantage of another piece of ungainly goalkeeping from Paul Robinson in the fifth minute.

The England shot-stopper could only parry Freddie Ljungberg's 25-yard effort, although he was alert enough to prevent Dean Ashton from pouncing on the loose ball.

Robinson also dived at the feet of Boa Morte before Bobby Zamora's shot was deflected over towards the end of a mad scramble.

606: DEBATE

What did you think of the result?

Just three minutes later, Spurs opened the scoring when Huddlestone, in the team for the injured Jermaine Jenas, delivered a cracking ball from the right for Berbatov to score past Robert Green.

And shortly after the restart, talisman Berbatov grabbed his and his side's second when he bulleted in another Huddlestone free-kick, this time from the left.

Huddlestone came close to scoring himself but headed over Lennon's dinked cross from the right while the marauding Steed Malbranque drilled a shot four yards wide after a typical surge to the edge of the area.

As Tottenham pressed forward, Alan Curbishley's side became increasingly frustrated.

Boa Morte makes his way off the pitch after seeing red

That frustration led to niggly fouls, one of them resulting in a red card for Boa Morte.

The Portuguese player was shown a second yellow after a late tackle on Lennon after already being booked for a foul on Huddlestone.

That was essentially game over for the Hammers.

Spurs became more lax after the break but could afford to given their opponents' lack of fight.

Ashton had a half-chance deflected over from six yards midway through the second half before he was replaced by Carlton Cole.

But the home side landed a knockout combination in the final few minutes thanks to substitutes Gilberto and Bent.

First, Gilberto made amends for his mistake against PSV in midweek by finding Green's left-hand corner after Lennon dummied Pascal Chimbonda's pass.

Then Bent headed in Hutton's cross from the right to make the scoreline emphatic.

Reports in Sunday's papers suggested that Curbishley could find himself out of a job in the summer. This result will not have helped to quell the rumours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spurs first-team coach Gus Poyet:

"We were looking for reaction from the players and we got that reaction.

He added: "The early goals from Dimitar Berbatov helped our team as did the sending off of Luis Boa Morte.

"Boa Morte was making too many fouls and that's why he was sent off. But with 10 men they did make it hard."

I guess the Carling Cup parade went a little bit wrong then last night Gents ?? :D

COME ON YOU IRONS.. :D

I'd rather shit on them....

All together now lads......

He's only a poor little hammer................... :o

I guess the Carling Cup parade went a little bit wrong then last night Gents ?? :D

I'm sure you would, after you've had a dodgy Lasagne yeah which you blamed for bottling against us 2 years ago yeah ??

You'll never make the top 4, you'll always be 2 bob & living on Micky Mouse Cup wins, making Mugs glorifying a 5-1 win over a rival teams reserve side & you're still 5 points below us in the League..

Big Club my arse... :D

COME ON PSV...

I'm sure you would, after you've had a dodgy Lasagne yeah which you blamed for bottling against us 2 years ago yeah ??

You'll never make the top 4, you'll always be 2 bob & living on Micky Mouse Cup wins, making Mugs glorifying a 5-1 win over a rival teams reserve side & you're still 5 points below us in the League..

COME ON PSV...

Well we gave you a 20 point head start , and we will finish above you .... :D

This season hasn't been great , but we will probably be the only Prem team to win a domestic competition trophy this year, still in with a shout in the UEFA cup and have handed out beatings to the other 3 London Prem teams , I reckon if WHU did that ever , it would go on record as their best ever year , but you can blow a few bubbles , and dribbles dreaming about it me old rusty little toy hammer.... :D

Calling 3 European cups , and 8 FA cups micky mouse is quite a compliment coming from a team who's last cup in over 28 years was the Inter-Dildo cup , Bless......... B)

ps 11th Richest Football club in the world.........that's fairly big IMO.... :D

Edited by chonabot

I guess the Carling Cup parade went a little bit wrong then last night Gents ?? B)

COME ON PSV...

This season hasn't been great , but we will probably be the only Prem team to win a domestic competition trophy this year, still in with a shout in the UEFA cup and have handed out beatings to the other 3 London Prem teams , I reckon if WHU did that ever , it would go on record as their best ever year , but you can blow a few bubbles , and dribbles dreaming about it me old rusty little toy hammer.... :D

Calling 3 European cups , and 8 FA cups micky mouse is quite a compliment coming from a team who's last cup in over 28 years was the Inter-Dildo cup , Bless......... :D

Isn't it time you had a 'Barmitzvah' though you probably haven't reached 13, yet :D

Isn't it time you had a 'Barmitzvah' though you probably haven't reached 13, yet :o

That's better , stick to the personal insults , stay away from the footballing facts :D

ps I was moderating this forum when you were still doing the backstroke in Trevor Brooking's disabled brother's left nut... :D

Edited by chonabot

Isn't it time you had a 'Barmitzvah' though you probably haven't reached 13, yet :o

That's better , stick to the personal insults , stay away from the footballing facts :D

ps I was moderating this forum when you were still doing the backstroke in Trevor Brooking's disabled brother's left nut... :D

Oh Really, The first game I went to was Tottenham v West Ham United in the League cup about Autumn 1975. As for moderating the forum are you going to put that up there with Tottenham's massive achievements in the last couple of decades. :D

Isn't it time you had a 'Barmitzvah' though you probably haven't reached 13, yet :D

Oh Really, The first game I went to was Tottenham v West Ham United in the League cup about Autumn 1975. As for moderating the forum are you going to put that up there with Tottenham's massive achievements in the last couple of decades. :D

Calm down gramps! I was just replying in kind , banter and all that :D

My first game was when we beat Wolves in the UEFA cup final , but I'm sure there were people on this forum that have seen both teams before us...... :o

My first game was when we beat Wolves in the UEFA cup final , but I'm sure there were people on this forum that have seen both teams before us...... :o

That makes you slightly younger than Ralph Coates but with the same sweep-over hairdo :D

ps I was moderating this forum when you were still doing the backstroke in Trevor Brooking's disabled brother's left nut... B)

That makes you slightly younger than Ralph Coates but with the same sweep-over hairdo :D

Shhh! Why do you think I wear the skull cap...? :D

That's better , stick to the personal insults , stay away from the footballing facts B)

Shhh! Why do you think I wear the skull cap...? :D

zon zion mit mazel! :D

Calling 3 European cups , and 8 FA cups micky mouse is quite a compliment coming from a team who's last cup in over 28 years was the Inter-Dildo cup , Bless......... :D

Zou houden van om PSV te bedanken. :o

& for those of you who are confused, the " 3 European Cups " as cbot mentions T*ttenham winning, is now known as the Champions League & of course no, they've never ever won it at all, for the record of course.. :D

Prior to the goal, the Hammers looked the more likely to score with Ashton guilty of fluffing up his lines on a couple of occasions.

He and his team were left to rue the miss when club-prodigy Sears, who had been on for about five minutes, met Ashton's square ball and fired in a shot that Friedel could only push back into the path of the grateful striker.

His celebration was almost as good as the youngster crossed his arms to symbolise the Hammers' badge

Sears for England. :o

Cheers HH. Uncanny the similarities with Tony Cottee's debut: the goal off a rebound etc. He looks like he has a bit of pace (searing) :D and looks like a well fed Luke Chadwick :o but hopefully with more stamina, ability etc . We've had a few flashes from youngsters in the past Bobby Barnes, Johnny Ayres (off the top of my ancient head) who didn't go on to make it just hope this kid will hold down a place. However when Bellend and CFC come back, he might have to be on the bench a lot. Thought Dean was MOTM from an under performing team which finished strongly in the second half. Couldn't understand why they brought Benny McCarthy on with 2 minutes to go. Anyway all's well that ends well and Come you Irons! :D

We've had a few flashes from youngsters in the past Bobby Barnes, Johnny Ayres (off the top of my ancient head) who didn't go on to make it just hope this kid will hold down a place.

Not sure about those two, keddie. Suprisingly, Little Ayris and Barnes both played 54 times each in the first team.

Ade Coker more fits the bill playing only 11 times. Roger Cross , 8 times. Stephen Death only one appearance in goal (never forget a name spelled like that). Eamonn Dolan,18. Dale Banton, 6. Lee Hodges, 6.

I'm sure that Matt Holland was another. But cant find any record of him. Perhaps he never played for the first team ? It was a mistake letting him go anyway, imo.

I think that your're right about a lot of bench warming when the senior players come back. I wouldn't be suprised if he went out on loan like Noble did and, blimey, Ephraim. Whose he out on loan to nowadays ?

We've had a few flashes from youngsters in the past Bobby Barnes, Johnny Ayres (off the top of my ancient head) who didn't go on to make it just hope this kid will hold down a place.

Not sure about those two, keddie. Suprisingly, Little Ayris and Barnes both played 54 times each in the first team.

Ade Coker more fits the bill playing only 11 times. Roger Cross , 8 times. Stephen Death only one appearance in goal (never forget a name spelled like that). Eamonn Dolan,18. Dale Banton, 6. Lee Hodges, 6.

I'm sure that Matt Holland was another. But cant find any record of him. Perhaps he never played for the first team ? It was a mistake letting him go anyway, imo.

I think that your're right about a lot of bench warming when the senior players come back. I wouldn't be suprised if he went out on loan like Noble did and, blimey, Ephraim. Whose he out on loan to nowadays ?

Matt Holland was a definate HH, also Ray Houghton don't forget..

Ashton was MOTM on Saturday, looked the Player i know he can be before the injury.

News of the World, 16th March

ALAN CURBISHLEY can return to Charlton if he is kicked out of West Ham.

A high-ranking board member has told Curbishley he would be ‘welcomed back' at The Valley.

Current boss Alan Pardew's position is being reviewed as Charlton fight for a Championship play-off spot.

Pressure

The board are upset that the team, relegated from the Premier League last season, are struggling to bounce straight back to the top flight

Curbishley is under mounting pressure at Upton Park, after a series of 4-0 league defeats by Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham, although they bounced back with a 2-1 win over Blackburn yesterday.

But the Hammers are floating in mid-table, with any hopes of European qualification all but over.

West Ham fans are also frustrated over Curbishley's preference for just one player up front, which often leaves hitman Dean Ashton, a scorer yesterday, on the bench.

Curbishley, who spent 15 seasons in charge of the Addicks, continues to be highly thought of by their chairman Richard Murray.

Well, as a Charlton fan, I really hope our board give AP another season to prove himself and I would imagine most Charlton fans would be praying the above is wrong. We really did have enough of AC

Pardew took us to the Play Off Final but lost it after being in charge not a full Season, then his first full Season in charge he took us to the Play Off Final & we did go back up, both times we were not playing that well, but both times we seemed to get better as the Season went on..

Are you playing ok at the moment or not really ??

Not sure if Pardew can be a good Premiership Manager but he seems to have a nack in the Championship..