Kerry accuses Assad of 'massacre' in Aleppo

rooster59

Kerry accuses Assad of 'massacre' in Aleppo

606x341_352526.jpg

As the world watches the unfolding evacuation of Aleppo, US Secretary of State John Kerry has expressed moral outrage, accusing President Bashar al Assad and his forces of ‘‘carrying out nothing short of a massacre’‘ in the war-torn city.

Speaking from Washington, Kerry also accused Assad’s allies, Russia, Iran and Hezbollah, of aiding and abetting in the slaughter.

“The Assad regime is actually carrying out nothing short of a massacre. And we have witnessed indiscriminate slaughter, not accidents of war, not collateral damage, but frankly purposeful, a cynical policy of terrorising civilians.”

While Kerry urged the Syrian leadership to make a strategic decision and return to peace talks in Geneva, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced on Thursday that Turkey, which had helped broker the evacuation of Aleppo, was ready to receive its most vulnerable civilians.

Speaking in Ankara during talks with Slovenia’s President Borut Pahor, Erdogan said: “If necessary, we will take some part of those who have left and bring them to Turkey, children, the elderly, those who are really in difficult conditions and place them in camps and houses, if they are available. We will provide them with a peaceful environment.”

The UN’s peace envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, says around 50,000 people still remain in eastern Aleppo.

Just under a third of those are said to include rebel fighters and their family members.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-17

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

Bit rich considering they are funding militant ISIS groups... the only people gaining anything from this war are the arms manufacturers, certainly isn't the people of Syria 

Assad use to support terrorists also.  And Russia is the one making the most money from weapons sales.  And soon, rebuilding what they bombed.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n07/peter-neumann/suspects-into-collaborators

In the years that preceded the uprising, Assad and his intelligence services took the view that jihad could be nurtured and manipulated to serve the Syrian government’s aims. It was then that foreign jihadists first entered the country and helped to build the structures and supply lines that are now being used to fight the government. To that extent Assad is fighting an enemy he helped to create.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/04/syria-war-showroom-russian-arms-sales-160406135130398.html

Syria's war: A showroom for Russian arms sales

Moscow's arms exports hit a record $14.5bn in 2015 with orders surging to $56bn, according to President Putin.

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

Bit rich considering they are funding militant ISIS groups... the only people gaining anything from this war are the arms manufacturers, certainly isn't the people of Syria 

Assad isn't hurtin. There was a link given in a previous post on Assad a true eye opener but then its its news and can news be believable anymore in any way shape or form. None of the parties involved come in with clean hands. There are about 3 polarized units. None of them dealing from a humanitarian viewpoint only political and self serving. The people stuck in Aleppo are the pawns on the chess board of life.

31 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Assad isn't hurtin. There was a link given in a previous post on Assad a true eye opener but then its its news and can news be believable anymore in any way shape or form. None of the parties involved come in with clean hands. There are about 3 polarized units. None of them dealing from a humanitarian viewpoint only political and self serving. The people stuck in Aleppo are the pawns on the chess board of life.

That building is real. It's been reported about many times over the years by many news outlets.  Designed by a Japanese architect.  Not sure why that story wouldn't be true????

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

That building is real. It's been reported about many times over the years by many news outlets.  Designed by a Japanese architect.  Not sure why that story wouldn't be true????

What is the truth anymore. I think I will be like Jack Benny and start lying about my age. Could I pass for 39?? and yes I believe you you have never ever given me reason to believe otherwise. You are one of the true gentlemen on TV never an unkind word. I hope you win poster of the year. I take the mean words with a grain of salt and kill them with kindness in return works every time. There are really some "lets have a shootout" guys on here.  

Edited by elgordo38

6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

What is the truth anymore. I think I will be like Jack Benny and start lying about my age. Could I pass for 39?? and yes I believe you you have never ever given me reason to believe otherwise. You are one of the true gentlemen on TV never an unkind word. I hope you win poster of the year. I take the mean words with a grain of salt and kill them with kindness in return works every time. There are really some "lets have a shootout" guys on here.  

I enjoy the discussions, hate the "shootout" arguments!  Many times, I just post news links.  And yes, it's getting harder and harder to figure out what's true and what's not.  I've found a pretty good source for this.  Take a peek.  Many things posted here fall under the fake news category.  Great sites if you are not sure if something is true or not.  Tough times!!!!  But I do like the (peaceful) debates.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/facebook-gets-serious-about-fighting-fake-news/19020/

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

"US Secretary of State John Kerry has expressed moral outrage"...  And "all they are is dust in the wind".  Obama's lack of policy and Kerry's words "all they are is dust in the wind".

John Kerry is morally outraged. Now has he produced the evidence of these massacres that so outrage his morals?

With this and Obama spouting off about hacking, again providing no tangible evidence, the current American administration is looking foolish. Not the best way to end their administration.

Unless of course they do present better information than someone at the CIA told us so.

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I enjoy the discussions, hate the "shootout" arguments!  Many times, I just post news links.  And yes, it's getting harder and harder to figure out what's true and what's not.  I've found a pretty good source for this.  Take a peek.  Many things posted here fall under the fake news category.  Great sites if you are not sure if something is true or not.  Tough times!!!!  But I do like the (peaceful) debates.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/facebook-gets-serious-about-fighting-fake-news/19020/

Yes fake news is getting to be like fake boobs harder and harder to detect. News links are a little harder to argue with. Carry on up the Khyber old chap. 

22 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

so why doesn't Kerry also  express his horror at the crimes going on in Eritrea by the government against its people?

these people are so transparent and it's nothing to do with humanitarian concerns at all:sleepy:

He has:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201012130186.html

http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article60828

But what's this got to do with Syria?

26 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

so why doesn't Kerry also  express his horror at the crimes going on in Eritrea by the government against its people?

these people are so transparent and it's nothing to do with humanitarian concerns at all:sleepy:

They are trying to prioritize their humanitarian concerns. The one in Syria has many influential opponents/players. Eritrea on the other hand although important hardly  creates a blip on their Richter scale of political importantness. Yes its a cruel world. 

18 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Can you please stop with the partisan rhetoric. The US government has been rather good at not funding any group associated with ISIL. The hawks of the GOP  like McCain and Graham had a different position, but  the US was quite ethical in its actions.

8 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

The US government has, and this thread is about Syria. Deal with this issue please.

President Obama was rather honest in his statement that the US  would not intervene because any intervention would have required a full occupation of Syria. As the Iraq adventuure has demonstrated, that would not have worked. The reality is that the Syrians and the Russians have  effected mass murder. It is the responsibility of the rest of the world to act. it is not the responsiblity of the USA to act alone. The Arab world has to step up and take responsibility for this madness.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The reality is that the Syrians and the Russians have  effected mass murder. It is the responsibility of the rest of the world to act. it is not the responsiblity of the USA to act alone. The Arab world has to step up and take responsibility for this madness.

your looking at this all wrong! It is Arab Killing Arab, The Russians are just helping out a little. :whistling:

Assad has a professional army, but also another part of his army contains a majority of Syrian civilian volunteers. 3/4 of these volunteers are Sunni. The rest is Shia, Christian, Alawite, Alevite,etc.

Hezbollah exist of Christians, Shia and Sunni members.

The side of Assad counts thus Syrians, Ottomans, Arabs, Jews, Armenians, Palestinians, Russians, Iranians and many others.

Suggesting that it's a sectarian or religious war is not rational. It's not even a civil war, but should be defined as an attempt to regime change.

We didn't hear a lot about the shelling of western Aleppo and its citizens by foreign mercenaries of Al Nusra. 11.000 citizens died in the last 4 years.

Let's not forget that the US was not able to differentiate the US sponsored 'moderate' rebels from the more radical ones not so long ago. It's clear that all factions fought together, which makes the claim from OP ridiculous...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

18 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

Assad has a professional army, but also another part of his army contains a majority of Syrian civilian volunteers. 3/4 of these volunteers are Sunni. The rest is Shia, Christian, Alawite, Alevite,etc.

Hezbollah exist of Christians, Shia and Sunni members.

The side of Assad counts thus Syrians, Ottomans, Arabs, Jews, Armenians, Palestinians, Russians, Iranians and many others.

Suggesting that it's a sectarian or religious war is not rational. It's not even a civil war, but should be defined as an attempt to regime change.

We didn't hear a lot about the shelling of western Aleppo and its citizens by foreign mercenaries of Al Nusra. 11.000 citizens died in the last 4 years.

Let's not forget that the US was not able to differentiate the US sponsored 'moderate' rebels from the more radical ones not so long ago. It's clear that all factions fought together, which makes the claim from OP ridiculous...

Isn't that what a civil war is?  An attempt at regime change? LOL.

Assad's army is in shambles.  Without Iran and Russia, he'd be done.

The number one party responsible for deaths is the government.  No denying that.

http://www.iamsyria.org/the-main-parties-killing-civilians-in-syria.html

The Syrian Network For Human Rights (SNHR) reports on the six main parties that are killing civilians in Syria and the death toll percentage distribution among them. All parties have killed less than 15,000 Syrian civilians, except for the Syrian Regime who have killed over 188,000. 

20 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Assad use to support terrorists also.  And Russia is the one making the most money from weapons sales.  And soon, rebuilding what they bombed.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n07/peter-neumann/suspects-into-collaborators

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/04/syria-war-showroom-russian-arms-sales-160406135130398.html

Cant hold a candle to US ams sales, not even close. Don't go looking for stats as the US is a bit secretive about their sales.

Just a bunch of talk by Kerry.  The facts are this would have been settled and over had the west stayed out of it.  I don't think anybody was dumb enough to believe that Russia was going to give up that strategic position without a major fight. So yes I believe it is mostly about arms sales, these salesmen on both sides could care less about the dead and dying.    Greed rules, always has, and always will.

15 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Cant hold a candle to US ams sales, not even close. Don't go looking for stats as the US is a bit secretive about their sales.

The stats are widely published, and quoted on this forum.  But not sure what it's got to do with this topic.  The #1 provider of arms to Syria is Russia, which is also well documented.

9 minutes ago, narak34 said:

Without U.S, Turkey and Saudi Arabia, there wouldn't even be a civil war.

Number one government responsible is the United States that put all this in motion. And for what? Is Libya such a beacon of democracy now? Yeah I didn't think so.

Ummm....I do believe the problems started with a brutal dictator called Assad.  Why don't we see civil wars like this in the Western countries?  Because they don't have dictators like this.  Can't blame the US for everything bad that happens around the world.  Though many try.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The stats are widely published, and quoted on this forum.  But not sure what it's got to do with this topic.  The #1 provider of arms to Syria is Russia, which is also well documented.

Sorry but I wasn't the one posting Russia's total world arms sales was I.  And if you think the total US arms sales are published anywhere you are very gullible.

4 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Sorry but I wasn't the one posting Russia's total world arms sales was I.  And if you think the total US arms sales are published anywhere you are very gullible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_industry

One of dozens of sites listing arms sales.  Don't forget, the US government doesn't make them.  Private companies do.  Same in many other countries.

French military has built in Syria a military camp close to Kobane. The US did the same close to the Jordanian border, but on Syrian soil. US special forces have been noticed with Kurdish patches on their uniforms. UK and Canadian forces are also present.

Turkish troops have entered since long the Syrian and Iraqi territory.

Israel bombed again on Syrian soil about 2 weeks ago.

All these democratic governments hailed the killing of Assad even if the majority of Syrian still supports their president.

Don't try to convince me that the above is in fact required to denominate a 'civil war'.

And euh, majority of Assads opponents are not Syrians. They are well equipped and better paid.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_industry

One of dozens of sites listing arms sales.  Don't forget, the US government doesn't make them.  Private companies do.  Same in many other countries.

Same as your house, you didn't build it but it is yours to sell. The US government decides all foreign sales of weapons, And many are not documented.

3 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

French military has built a military camp close to Kobane. The US did the same close to the Jordanian border, but on Syrian soil. US special forces have been noticed with Kurdish patches on their uniforms. UK and Canadian forces are also present.

Turkish troops have entered since long the Syrian and Iraqi territory.

Israel bombed again on Syrian soil about 2 weeks ago.

All these democratic governments hailed the killing of Assad even if the majority of Syrian still supports their president.

Don't try to convince me that the above is in fact required to denominate a 'civil war'.

And euh, majority of Assads opponents are not Syrians. They are well equipped and better paid.

Not sure what this has to do with the OP.  And guess what?  A majority of the supporters of Assad are not Syrian either! LOL  And they are well equipped and better paid also! LOL

http://news.sky.com/story/revealed-russias-secret-syria-mercenaries-10529248

For the equivalent of £3,000 a month, they say they were thrown into pitch battles and firefights with rebel factions - including Islamic State.

http://orient-news.net/en/news_show/115036/0/Looking-back-in-anger-The-story-of-an-Assad-mercenary

20 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I believe you but retain a modem of skepticism in most things I read today. Its left over from the time of my grandmother who said often believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see. Now with Facebook and other media tools presenting false facts its a case of sifting through junk to reach the jewels. You have always posted in a believable manner thus I believe. Thus it boils down to trust. 

Majority of insurgents fighting in Aleppo were non-Syrians who took the local Syrian population as hostage.

That's not a civil war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war

Claiming a 'massacre' is not correct. It's rather hypocritical if you evaluate objectively what's happened in Mosul under the US coalition forces...civilians and truces were not a priority...

I believe you but retain a modem of skepticism in most things I read today. Its left over from the time of my grandmother who said often believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see. Now with Facebook and other media tools presenting false facts its a case of sifting through junk to reach the jewels. You have always posted in a believable manner thus I believe. Thus it boils down to trust. 

The palace counts more than one building. The Syrian republican guards have their HQ over there.

The palace is also equipped with lodgements for domestic or diplomatic guests. Bill Clinton slept there in the 90's when he visited Assad sr.

The palace counts also a conference room for meetings or seminars.

A small proportion is dedicated for the presidential family.

Defamation on a president for his use or occupation of an official service building is not really on topic too...

Knowing that the Assad family lived in an average condo in Damascus and all children went with regular public transportation to a French public school.

Nice try.