ThaiVisa Forum Profile Reputation: A Worthy Goal?

Fookhaht

I've lately begun noticing the "profile reputation;"  the little green number (preceded by a '+')  just below one's avatar and above the post count.  It records the "likes" on your posts.   

As I look at the quality of my own posts and others', I have begun noticing a direct correlation.   I'm sure this is obvious to others, but frankly, I never took notice before.   The less thought I give to my posts, the more that number stays static; the more careful thought I put into my posts, the numbers start climbing.  

I don't write posts to get "likes."  I write them because I feel I have something to contribute.  However, it's nice to have a general indicator of the quality of my posts, and it has actually motivated me to put more quality into those posts (albeit I still come up with a few clunkers now and then).  

I grant that some posts get a lot of attention because of an extreme view or scandalous words/thoughts that draw in the fringe crowd; but I contend that these "spikes-in-likes" are the exception rather than the rule.  

In this regard, I've started looking at these "reputation points" of other posters, and have found interesting, if not obvious correlations:    

There are some members with impressive post counts (in the tens of thousands), but the "reputation points" are a very small percentage of their post counts.  As I peruse some of the post histories, I see a lot of shallow one-liners, or inconsequential contributions to the threads.  As a result, I now tend to pass over their posts (especially if long rants), saving my time and energy.  

On the other hand, there are a few members whose reputation points are way over their post counts.  I have started taking special notice of the value of these members' posts--and as I peruse back through their old posts, I can see that they are exceptionally valuable contributors to this forum.   As a result, I tend to now home in on their posts when I see them in a forum I am browsing.  Without fail, their comments are excellent contributions to the discussion at hand, with a high level of wisdom and advice.  

But more important than evaluating the overall contributions of others, this reputation point system is motivating ME to be a better-contributing member to ThaiVisa.  I believe one evidence of that will be a reputation number WAY over my post count, and that's a concrete goal I'm shooting for.  Not just for the numbers, but for the significance behind them.    

Side-note:  A nice little addition to the existing numbers would be an easily-programmable third number giving the ratio between reputation points and posting points, or a percentage of one over the other.   I believe this would highlight, even more, the value of these profile numbers and members' quality of contributions.    

Cheers,
Fookhaht

Edited by Fookhaht
Grammar correction.

May I submit to you an "honor role," so to speak, of some of our members whose reputations far outweighs their post counts?  

(This is representative, not comprehensive.  It doesn't include the newer member who may have 500 posts but 2,000 reputation points.) 

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.23.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.23.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.24.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 3.25.14 PM.png

Then there's that "dishonor role" which we will leave to your own research.  (Click far upper-right icon, click "members," click "sort by ....", then click "reputation."  It's an eye-opener!  :tongue: )  

Edited by Fookhaht

Not wishing to take anything away from the respected posters you mentioned, but "reputation" isn't really a reliable indicator of overall positive contribution to the forum.

For example - two members come to mind who contribute a vast amount of useful information. They are Ubonjoe (49,673 posts but just 14,924 Likes) and Sheryl (19,078 posts and a measly 7,747 Likes).

These two folks (and others) tend to be giving advice to individuals, so they may just gain single 'Likees" - as opposed to the trolls, jokers, misogynists, islamophobes, etc. who appeal to a wider audience and can gain 50+ likes for a single post.

Many more great posters here who are also undervalued - Too many to mention by name.

Just my two penn'orth worth.

Edited by chickenslegs

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

A general discussion on the principal/function is one thing, discussing individual members never ends well, so please dont do that if this thread is to remain open.

Feel free to delete/hide my #2 post if it tends to steer this discussion in the wrong direction.  As you intimated, my primary point is the principle/function of the reputation system.  

Edited by Fookhaht

22 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Not wishing to take anything away from the respected posters you mentioned, but "reputation" isn't really a reliable indicator of overall positive contribution to the forum.

For example - two members come to mind who contribute a vast amount of useful information. They are Ubonjoe (49,673 posts but just 14,924 Likes) and Sheryl (19,078 posts and a measly 7,747 Likes).

These two folks (and others) tend to be giving advice to individuals, so they may just gain single 'Likees" - as opposed to the trolls, jokers, misogynists, islamophobes, etc. who appeal to a wider audience and can gain 50+ likes for a single post.

Many more great posters here who are also undervalued - Too many to mention by name.

Just my two penn'orth worth.

Points well-taken.  I tend to hang on every word of Sheryl's and Ubonjoe's for the great amount of good advice and wisdom they share on this forum.   This discussion in no way is meant to demean their valuable contributions.   You're right, there's a gap in the logic of measuring the value of contributions ONLY by reputation/points ratios.  

Edited by Fookhaht

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, Fookhaht said:

hen There are some members with impressive post counts (in the tens of thousands), but the "reputation points" are a very small percentage of their post counts.

A thinking person should be aware that the forum was going for quite a number of years before they introduced the "like" system. Therefore, your thoughts about the two numbers correlating are way off for many Members who have been here for a long time.

As an example, I already had something in the order of 5000-6000 posts when that system started. (My posting activity has declined significantly in recent years.) I'm not suggesting I would have had a much bigger count of "likes", my posts then were mainly droll one liners, but other posters were certainly worthy of recognition.. 

The system can also be manipulated by some who covert the greenie!

Where, when and what you post makes a huge difference in the amount of credos you can accumulate, and there are people who know how to chase them.

Without mentioning names, some make a point of following the News Forum, getting in early to make the first post, and expressing a populous opinion. An early "hang em high" post is always certain to collect a large number of "likes".

Being part of one of the many cliques, who have come and gone over the years, in the General and Pub Forums means you have a camaraderie of mates who will award each other profusely no matter how silly the utterances. Conversely posters who mainly stay in some of the more staid local forums, dispensing advice and discussing local issues, rarely play the "greenie" game.

Some have accumulated huge tallies by reproducing jokes in that forum to keep all amused.

Others have achieved them through sheer weight of post numbers, or through appealing to specific political or socioeconomic groups.

I do have to admit, I never understood the cult of the Costas!

Edited by Old Croc

On 2/17/2017 at 10:33 PM, chickenslegs said:

I agree. It is not. I have noticed that many with a high number of "likes" post in the news section and their responses tend to be cynical one liners and yet some will get 50 likes or more for the response.  Clearly the "Like" button isn't linked to content quality.  It also seems to get more Likes you have to post early in the new thread.  Doesn't matter content.

There are some outstanding contributors that I enjoy reading what they post to the forum and various threads. 

11 hours ago, grollies said:

How about a 'dislike' button?

When they introduced the system it was discussed. In fact it may even have been introduced temporarily. I'm not sure now.

It was thought it would be abused by haters and forum enemies, so was discarded. 

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

When they introduced the system it was discussed. In fact it may even have been introduced temporarily. I'm not sure now.

It was thought it would be abused by haters and forum enemies, so was discarded. 

True... far too open to abuse.

Negative votes/point/karma are a guaranteed world of drama. I am senior staff at what was a large and active gaming community and the user complaints and fights that came from people giving others negative points was a constant source of headaches, fights (revenge ripping, friends ganging up to get back at some one) and tears. So we got rid of it. People take reputation far too seriously even though it doesn't exactly do a good job on representing quality. To an extend it indicates popularity but even then it's best taken with a truckload of salt.

Edited by Donutz

14 minutes ago, Donutz said:

People take reputation far too seriously even though it doesn't exactly do a good job on representing quality. To an extend it indicates popularity but even then it's best taken with a truckload of salt.

I gave that a like. :thumbsup:

If you want a lot of likes be early to a thread and say something puerile, racist, sarcastic or genuinely funny. A combination of these will do it doesn't matter if it is coarse or in good humor. The less words the better, one liners get the most likes. There is poster here with 10,000 likes who only ever comes out with one liners that belittle others in some way. Most people probably know who I mean it is never a debate or thought out discussion. So be snide to your fellow posters.

Avoid making informative posts that are more than a paragraph long if the thread is over a page long. The posters that bend over backwards to give help in places like the visa sections get no love at all. If you want your likes to exceed your posts you have to keep things dumbed down. I made a thread about this awhile back as well in the pub.

Another gold mine of likes is go to any of the more political threads and say something that is obvious and people will simply agree on. If it is a Trump thread see what way the thread is going and then choose a side. You don't have to stay on the same side all the time. People love to hear what they agree with and if you can deliver you get a lot of likes. Again be border line hateful regardless of which side you support on that day.

So for example if you can manage to be anti Trump in one thread and anti-immigrant in another you can appeal to two groups who spew vitriol on opposite sides of the spectrum. Posts that are sarcastic and incite anger are loved by those on either side of the political spectrum. Put politics beside and unify the hatred. :)

Add in an occasional, thoughtful post here and there but not too often. Basically worrying about the amount of likes you have is too much of a pain in the ass and your most thoughtful content will generally be rewarded the least.

The site should have down votes where people don't see who down votes something and it is just subtracted from the likes until it hits zero or is even collapsed and deleted. Quora uses this method and it is a good way to get rid of garbage and trolling. Quora has very few trolls because stupid crap gets collapsed by bots when something collapses. It is a good system because nobody can complain the mods did it, the users trigger content to be deleted by bots and the cream can rise to the top.

This is a very interesting discussion and I am glad that I have stumbled across it.

I used to be a member of a classical music forum-a relatively innocuous subject one would expect but no..the "dislike" button abusers turned it into an overpopulated Skinner box,forming cliques,playing personal politics and generally showing signs of a grandiose monomania which is all too apparent on the internet at times.

At the end of the day who,in their right mind,would give a flying squirrel about whether Wilhelm Furtwangler was a better conductor than Claudio Abbado?Or whetherJ.S Bach wrote ditties for Beyonce- or is Madonna really Mozart's mother?Not to mention whether Beethoven would have voted for Donald Trump....

So,I do not check out any participants reputation here and pretty much take every contribution as it comes,and give a "like" for any post that I find interesting in and of itself.I find the whole experience much more enjoyable that way.