Rejected entry to Thailand because too many tourist visa

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Different strokes for different folks.

Not sure I understand what you are getting at mate. Immigration want me to able to show funds so I do, in cash. Cash that I have withdrawn from a bank in Thailand. The barter system predates the concept of money and is still in use today by everyone though they don't realize it as such. Give us a hand dragging that old tree stump out of the yard and then I'll fire up the BBQ and we can have a nice dinner. What is that if not the barter system?

7 hours ago, notmyself said:

Not sure I understand what you are getting at mate. Immigration want me to able to show funds so I do, in cash. Cash that I have withdrawn from a bank in Thailand. The barter system predates the concept of money and is still in use today by everyone though they don't realize it as such. Give us a hand dragging that old tree stump out of the yard and then I'll fire up the BBQ and we can have a nice dinner. What is that if not the barter system?

It only means that people live their lives in different ways.

Whatever makes you happy makes you happy.

Live and let live is another way to say it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blorg said:

The thing is, they don't know what they want

It would appear that different elements of the power-hierarchy want different things, hence the schizophrenic-seeming system in place.

On the one-hand, we hear the "quality tourist" talk, and people on international-flights are rejected for "not having enough cash" (who must then purchase return tickets from money they purportedly did not have).  On the other hand, we know that Thailand is actively recruiting relatively-poor tourists from China with free-visas, though we know that those staying long-term on serial Tourist-Visas spend far more into the Thai economy.  I do agree that Thailand would be foolish to go with the Bhutan system.  Comparisons to the "West" are not applicable - I outlined why here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/971858-rejected-entry-to-thailand-because-too-many-tourist-visa/?page=13#comment-11689870

As to the increase in the cash to show, I'm not sure why an occasional short-term visitor would bother getting a "tourist visa" good for 60-days.  Most staying over 30 days would likely need more than 20K Baht (bartering notwithstanding).  Those coming in for the weekend (Malaysians and Singaporeans and Indonesians) come in on Visa-Exempt or bilateral arrangements, and only need to show 10K Baht.  Well, they did, until the various "crackdown" steps on Visa-Exempts, which ignores how long a person has stayed in Thailand cumulatively - a policy which, again, shoots themselves in the foot economically, and makes Thailand seem like an "unfriendly" place for tourists, in general.

If the goal is keeping long-term stayers out, then the Retirement system must be scrapped, and those unwanted foreigners sent packing.  If that is not the goal, and more foreign-capital spending is desired, then the 50-year-old-minimum rule for Retirement should be scrapped.  If the goal is stopping illegal workers, then those from nearby countries should be scrutinized (as they are 99.9% of that problem) and the rest left alone - yet the land-border exempt policy is the reverse of this.

My point to suggesting an increase in funds to show, is simply this: If money is the issue - let us show more (100K Baht) and they don't have to worry about us "going broke" here or being tempted by low-paying Thai-jobs.  If that is not the issue, what is? 

• Like 1

@sharktooth - that has been gone over already, this new "hard" limit of two visa exempt entries per year only applies to land borders, yes, but immigration apparently have a "soft" limit which is unknown but speculated to be in the region of six over a number of years at which point a warning pops up on their computer to scrutinise you entry more carefully. It's not an outright "must reject" but "scrutinise". There are reports of people having problems and being questioned arriving by air who have "too many" prior visa exempt entries.

On 17/03/2017 at 8:43 PM, JackThompson said:

I've yet to hear of a case where a person was asked to show money, didn't have it, but was directed to withdraw it from an accessible ATM machine, so they could meet the entry-requirements. Does anyone really believe that is how things would happen?

I agree that this sounds unlikely, but in Thailand I have come to expect the unlikely and, frankly, nothing would surprise me!

On 17/03/2017 at 8:43 PM, JackThompson said:

I've yet to hear of a case where a person was asked to show money, didn't have it, but was directed to withdraw it from an accessible ATM machine, so they could meet the entry-requirements. Does anyone really believe that is how things would happen?

I agree that this sounds unlikely, but in Thailand I have come to expect the unlikely and, frankly, nothing would surprise me!

I really don't think it's a matter of them wanting foreign money... they do, but I think their thinking goes in this order:

1) Everyone is a criminal and want come to Thailand for bad reason

2) If they come for more than 30 days a year they must be bad bad bad

3) If they come for less than 30 days a year then they are good

4) Focus on people who come for less than 30 days a year, and get lots of them.

So yes, the mass Chinese tourists who come for 2-3 weeks a year are their ideal: Short time, spend money, get out.

Anyone who wants to stay more than 30 days they immediately think: Must be bad!  Proove you are not bad bad bad, then maybe we let you in.

It's a guilty until proven innocent policy in Thailand (At least, It appears, when it comes to matter of immigration).

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

I really don't think it's a matter of them wanting foreign money... they do, but I think their thinking goes in this order:

1) Everyone is a criminal and want come to Thailand for bad reason

2) If they come for more than 30 days a year they must be bad bad bad

3) If they come for less than 30 days a year then they are good

4) Focus on people who come for less than 30 days a year, and get lots of them.

5) People who don't come to Thailand but send only their money are very good foreigners. We love them.

(actually many do this :)

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

It's a guilty until proven innocent policy in Thailand (At least, It appears, when it comes to matter of immigration).ss

It's the same in most countries and most particular Western countries- you wouldn't be allowed re-enter any Western country repeatedly on tourist visas even if you could prove you weren't working there.

Thailand could cut off back-to-back tourist visas entirely, that they don't sort of indicates that they do see a value in some long term tourist visa stayers, but it's understandable that they pay people who are here an extended period a bit more scrutiny.

In terms of "guilty until proven innocent" the difference is you have no inherent right to stay in a country other than your own one...

Edited by blorg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blorg said:

Thailand could cut off back-to-back tourist visas entirely, that they don't sort of indicates that they do see a value in some long term tourist visa stayers

Difficult to compare 2 weeks tourists against long term tourist visa stayers. As for me, I don't visit souvenir shops, don't need hotels and so on. On the other hand I rent a condo where I know the landlord is happy for every each tenant. Others buy a house or condo. I pay my monthly internet bill, laundry, bought several vehicles and so on. Sure, I spent much less as an "expat" as i were a few weeks tourist in the past. However, places like Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya.... suffer when less long stay tourist are coming, particularly this kind of long term tourists are quite helpful to the local economy during the low season. Many expats have a GF and they get supported by the foreigner. I guess this expenses are nowhere recorded.

Due the many changes in visa rules, its shy away as well common western tourists which actually aren't affected by this. But it spreads uncertainty. Ok, if Thailand go for Chinese mass tourists, good luck with that. There will be an point, when Chinese tourists move further to another destination.

May be there will come a time where Thailand regret how they deal it with tourists. But I doubt about that.

On my 5th entry last year i got pulled aside, and told computer had flagged me for to many entrys. They wanted to see proof that i worked in my own country. 

Did a 6th holiday last year, no question asked.

Just got home from my first trip this year, he did spend some time looking over my entry stamps. Asked for my purpose for coming, said holiday. No further question asked. 

Been seaching internet for solid advise/rule, but always end up with various stories. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tubbygold said:

On my 5th entry last year i got pulled aside, and told computer had flagged me for to many entrys. They wanted to see proof that i worked in my own country. 

Did a 6th holiday last year, no question asked.

Just got home from my first trip this year, he did spend some time looking over my entry stamps. Asked for my purpose for coming, said holiday. No further question asked. 

Been seaching internet for solid advise/rule, but always end up with various stories. 

The rules is that there isnt any,as long as you dont just fly out and back in again strait away.No one kan give you any better advice then to get a propper visa to be on the safe side.

I would say do as you are ,as long as you have proof of income from a country outside and proof of residence with you.I am doing just the same with no problems so far.Been pulled aside but nothing else.It is not us they are after but people with worse intentions.I am spending more time outside then inside the country,so maybe that could be guideline.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

I presume you can carry any currency (or travellers cheques) so long as it is the equavalent of 20,000 baht, right?

Yes you can but it must be a currency you can exchange here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can but it must be a currency you can exchange here.

A Single 1000CHF Note should cover it (32,000 THB or so), and take up very little space.

Difficult to convert (due to size) but the intent is to carry it, not convert it.

46 minutes ago, JayBird said:

A Single 1000CHF Note should cover it (32,000 THB or so), and take up very little space.

Difficult to convert (due to size) but the intent is to carry it, not convert it.

The Swiss franc can be exchanged here so not a problem.

The 20k baht requirement is meant to show you have funds to live on here. If it was a currency that could not be exchanged for Baht they would not accept it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The Swiss franc can be exchanged here so not a problem.

The 20k baht requirement is meant to show you have funds to live on here. If it was a currency that could not be exchanged for Baht they would not accept it.

I've traded CHF notes without problem.  But I'm not sure if they would accept the 1000 CHF note (a single note with denomination of 1000 CHF) without a problem.  Haven't tried yet, might one day :P

I do expect the head branches of banks at their foreign exchange section to handle it fine tho.  Perhaps they would look at it for a while ....

But yes, its a thin piece of paper so very easy to keep in a dedicated place purely for presentation to IO (perhaps hide it in your passport wallet).  That way you don't have to worry about carrying around a bundle.  Feel sorry for americans with only 100$ notes. 

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ok, no one bring Scottish pounds. Actually I've seen one booth ever offer to exchange Scottish pounds but the exchange rate was worse than the English pounds.

Superrich will exchange Scottish notes at very close to the exchange rate for regular UK notes.

23 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I've traded CHF notes without problem.  But I'm not sure if they would accept the 1000 CHF note (a single note with denomination of 1000 CHF) without a problem.  Haven't tried yet, might one day :P

I do expect the head branches of banks at their foreign exchange section to handle it fine tho.  Perhaps they would look at it for a while ....

But yes, its a thin piece of paper so very easy to keep in a dedicated place purely for presentation to IO (perhaps hide it in your passport wallet).  That way you don't have to worry about carrying around a bundle.  Feel sorry for americans with only 100$ notes. 

6 $100 dollar notes hardly takes much room 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2017 at 2:52 PM, Chivas said:

I'm neither rich or poor but simply would never contemplate travelling 6000 miles without at least £2000 in hard cash every time no exceptions. Who the hell travels that distance and relies solely on cards.

Hell even back home I dont leave house without walking around money of £500 or so

What has the distance got to do with anything? 600 miles or 6,000 miles would be much the same. I've never carried £2,000 in cash when travelling and never would. I think it's plain stupid to carry that amount of money unnecessarily and I have never encountered a problem withdrawing cash that couldn't be solved in around 10 minutes with a call to my bank. Let's assume one has a couple of ATM/Debit cards and at least one credit card - I would say there is 0% possiblity they would all stop working at the same time and certainly not for so long that you would need £2,000 in cash to cover your expenses. 

• Like 1