• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DMC1 said:

19th every year, never changes

I would think so too, but I saw this weird national announcement saying it's from the 13th to the 20th this year, so I'm wondering if some people are going to be confused and continue with the liquid assaults past the 19th. :shock1:

2 hours ago, abab said:

Nice vlog from a warrior to allow people who haven't seen anyone throwing water this year, to see some fun :-)

Looks like no confiscation of PVC pipes this year.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Looks like no confiscation of PVC pipes this year.

I wish I could give you some information from around the bar areas, but as far as the rest of Pattaya is concerned....

I've been out on my motorcycle all week (house hunting - talk about bad timing) and haven't been wet yet - including today (Sunday). I've been to Big C Extra (riding from Pratumnak area) every day this week and managed to avoid getting wet. I've had a few close calls, but it seems rather subdued. I avoid 2nd Road and Soi Buakhao, but it's been OK on Pattaya Tai, Pattaya Klang, 3rd Road, Thepprasit, Thappraya and Sukhumvit Roads. There are a few Thai people throwing water on most of the side sois, but they mostly leave you alone if you ask them too.

3 more days to go. I'll be out again over the next 2 days and will stay at home all day on 19.

I've been out on my push bike this morning. Soi Yume, Arunothai, Khopai, back streets of Thepprasit, Jomtien 2nd road, Jomtien beach road, Thappraya, South pattaya, 2nd road, pattaya Klang. All pretty quiet, nice ride. No one playing water, even the karaoke bars from the previous night were quiet. Usually lots of drunk kids on Khopai in the mornings.

As Tropo said above I have pretty much gone about my normal business this Songkran but I will also pop out on the 19th. Even on the 19th the past couple of years it seemed to be slow to get going on 3rd road areas.

3 hours ago, DMC1 said:

I've been out on my push bike this morning. Soi Yume, Arunothai, Khopai, back streets of Thepprasit, Jomtien 2nd road, Jomtien beach road, Thappraya, South pattaya, 2nd road, pattaya Klang. All pretty quiet, nice ride. No one playing water, even the karaoke bars from the previous night were quiet. Usually lots of drunk kids on Khopai in the mornings.

As Tropo said above I have pretty much gone about my normal business this Songkran but I will also pop out on the 19th. Even on the 19th the past couple of years it seemed to be slow to get going on 3rd road areas.

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to hear how you go on 19. I'll stay home all day but will venture out later in the evening.

7 minutes ago, BESTY1985 said:

Just wanted to say that this has got old really rather quickly, day 1 it was amusing but now it is just a massive inconvenience. 

Yep, most of us have "played" at least one Songkran - it gets old very quickly, but it's the inconvenience over such a long period that makes this thread so useful. Before JSixpack started this thread several years back, Songkran threads were nothing more than flame threads. Now we have good information as it's happening.

2 minutes ago, BESTY1985 said:

It's just dawned on me how screwed I am; I need to get from Pattaya to BKK on the 19th. Is it really as bad as everyone says? I am near Jomtien beach.  

It's that bad and worse. Best bet is to go very early in the morning, earlier the better: 4 AM if you can manage it. Mr. T is your friend. :)

Just wanted to say that this has got old really rather quickly, day 1 it was amusing but now it is just a massive inconvenience. 

Haha yes you have to be a 'special' kind of person to enjoy it for 8-9 consecutive days

We have so far stayed completely out of it but tomorrow we will get the guns out and go play in the afternoon.

Only do it because of my son, if he was not around, I would just stay home the next 2 days, the fridge is stocked up with food.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Isn't there something in the news saying they will keep a lane clear for traffic on Sukhumvit?

For emergency vehicles. Should make traffic even worse if they actually do that.

19 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

For emergency vehicles. Should make traffic even worse if they actually do that.

Yeah, that makes sense.

But at least there might be some chance that emergency cases can get to a hospital. 

Decided to just go with the flow this year and for the most part haven't had  major issues.  Sure I got drenched a few times which was an, "oh well" moment.  Even decided to walk through the worst areas as exercise clocking 20k over 2 days.

Saw no accidents, couple close calls, and most seemed to be enjoying themselves. The water wasn't welcomed but somewhat refreshing.  Wish others didn't get off creating discomfort in others with icing the water but "oh well".  Some beautiful girls with sweet bodyies dancing on tables isn't all bad - :)

My take away is probably the same as most on this thread.  The Thais seemed to be out to have fun with a group of friends and are very young.  The older foreigners were solo or with GF and about half sincerely looked to be enjoying themselves.  Like I mentioned, I get the young Thais. The vast majority are just walking with friends and dancing . Why older foreigners  with a big squirt gun enjoy themselves for endless hours is mind boggling.  

I love having fun with my hobbies, sex, drinking, etc.  Going to a vendor and excitedly buying a big squirt gun to "squirt" others seems odd.  In the end, to each his own and this year has been manageable.  

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Decided to just go with the flow this year and for the most part haven't had  major issues.  Sure I got drenched a few times which was an, "oh well" moment.  Even decided to walk through the worst areas as exercise clocking 20k over 2 days.

Saw no accidents, couple close calls, and most seemed to be enjoying themselves. The water wasn't welcomed but somewhat refreshing.  Wish others didn't get off creating discomfort in others with icing the water but "oh well".  Some beautiful girls with sweet bodyies dancing on tables isn't all bad - :)

My take away is probably the same as most on this thread.  The Thais seemed to be out to have fun with a group of friends and are very young.  The older foreigners were solo or with GF and about half sincerely looked to be enjoying themselves.  Like I mentioned, I get the young Thais. The vast majority are just walking with friends and dancing . Why older foreigners  with a big squirt gun enjoy themselves for endless hours is mind boggling.  

I love having fun with my hobbies, sex, drinking, etc.  Going to a vendor and excitedly buying a big squirt gun to "squirt" others seems odd.  In the end, to each his own and this year has been manageable.  

2 days? How about the 11th? Did Songkran start on the 11th as usual or was it the 12th this year?

Seem a milder Songkran than even last year?

Were all the usual areas affected? Beach Rd & 2nd Rd . . . .

Traffic worse or better? Seems overall traffic was worse--more Thais cruising around.

How about the Taliban trucks w/ barrels of ice water & revelers menacing all? See them cruising around?

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

2 days? How about the 11th? Did Songkran start on the 11th as usual or was it the 12th this year?

Seem a milder Songkran than even last year?

Were all the usual areas affected? Beach Rd & 2nd Rd . . . .

Traffic worse or better? Seems overall traffic was worse--more Thais cruising around.

How about the Taliban trucks w/ barrels of ice water & revelers menacing all? See them cruising around?

I only exercised outside 2 days.  Not sure about last year.  I remember being frustrated and miserable but can't remember the crowd size.  

Usually no problem travelling in most locations before 10am.  Afternoon is still ok in most areas other than the beach road, walking, street, Soi 7, Diana, Metro...  I have been able to go shopping at Big C and go to health clubs throughout the day with little risk.

I see the trucks but other than being squirted, they haven't focused on me.  I have tried to stay my distance which in most cases is easy.  

I'm going out now in a swimming attire and expect today will be out of hand but will endure it for one last day.  Probably walk 5-10k around beach road.   Walking on the sidewalk along beach has not been bad.  All the action is on the road itself or the bars.

Just came home from down town. Beach road closed in its whole length so we parked the scooter on central Pattaya road and did a walk on beach road towards the north end (no so crowded there).

Everybody playing with water, the police confiscated all the mud buckets (good), on the walk way no water splashing due to all the stalls. 

Then we walked back and passed central Pat road and we tried walking towards Central (next to the police station) but it was just too crowed for us so we escaped beach road via one of the small sois (soi8?) and there was water war big time going on in there. My son didn't like the cold water and the mud so he thankfully had enough so we headed home again.

Total +3 hours out, traffic crazy because all the pick-up trucks stops at the intense water war areas and exchange salvos, a bit risky riding the scooter but we off-course all 3 wear good helmets and the speed never exceeded 40km/h.  

If they could just strictly limit this madness to 1 day, it could actually be fun but I don't like the way it's done in Pattaya where it slowly starts in the bar areas and then builds up over a week to the grand finale today. 1 day only next year, no mud, no ice water, thanks.

Grateful it's over until next year, well for us it is, will not leave our house until tomorrow where all is back to normal again.

Edited by guzzi850m2