Video: last moments of pick-up driver in head on collision with ten wheeler

rooster59

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't look like an overtaking manoeuvre to me. The pick-up was a long way behind the lorry and didn't gain any distance on it. Seems it just drifted to the right, regardless of oncoming traffic (which, due to the long left hand bend, could be seen from a long way back - just look to the left of the lorry in front of the pick-up) which to me suggests sleep or inattention.

Edit to say Chickenlegs just posted the same above but...

Doesn't look like an overtaking move. Not close enough to the truck in front nor fast enough. Looks like his attention was focussed on something other than the road ahead and he drifted over into the oncoming traffic.

Edited by MW72
Same as previous poster

Obviously distracted by something? Seems like a safe overtake of the camera vehicle but then he brakes twice for no apparent reason then drifts into the path of the truck. Yes, did the camera car do a runner?

Edited by bdenner

I have stopped to assist in accidents a couple of times and i always question myself whether i would again in the future. I don't worry about being blamed, but its damn dangerous with other lunatics on the road not seeing the accident in advance and hurtling through the scene. 

If i do stop next time i will make sure i drive considerably past the accident then walk back. If children were in my car i would definitely contemplate not stopping.

What a bizarre driving behaviour (but not uncommon here). He seemed to start overtaking a good 50m behind the vehicle in front and not react to the oncoming truck. It may be the angle but I suspect he was distracted/not concentrating as he was overtaking. Very sad.

5 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

Dont think he fell asleep. My guess is he was distracted and focussed on either the radio, gps, phone, beverage, cigarette or whatever else can distract driving.

RIP

For some, in Thailand, just driving is a distraction. 

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

A dash cam can solve the problem of who caused it. But if you do stop to assist someone, and they die. Then that can be a problem. I think that's why a lot don't get involved too. And panic about spirits rising from the dead. They just keep away and look. 

The main reason Thais don't stop at accidents is they don't have any medical skills to render any assistance, they just look for a few seconds then move on!!

11 hours ago, wxpwzrd said:

Actively braking just before he pulls the typical stupid move here? Doubt he fell asleep. 

Must have been faulty breaks , or the driver falling asleep

think the locals . Not one would come to the conclusion, it was diabolical driving .

one more " inevitable "

I'm guessing drugs or alcohol , he was clearly not focused and half awake?

I see it every day when I'm out driving my car so nothing new here. I try to keep a distance and also try to avoid two-lane roads in Thailand because of this .   

12 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

They sure do have a great belief in reincarnation I see stupid driving daily and you have to have two pairs of eyes and assume they are all stupid (which is often the case)

Dont worry it wont be long before a muppet arrives and tells you you dont understand what road safety is

13 hours ago, Pomthai said:

And it looks as though the camera car doesn't even stop, just squeezes on past the inside of the wreckage and pulls out as if to continue journey. :sad:

Think I might have done the same. I have no great wish to see mangled bodies spurting blood all over the place.

16 hours ago, berybert said:

Think I might have done the same. I have no great wish to see mangled bodies spurting blood all over the place.

Neither do I, but you could save someone's life by stopping and checking the situation. It could be as simple as lifting someone chin from their chest to overcome suffocation. 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, wxpwzrd said:

Actively braking just before he pulls the typical stupid move here? Doubt he fell asleep. 

There's a slight L/H  curve,  he just pulled out, with the truck in front he couldn't see what was coming the otherway.

Just amazingly stupid driving.

I can't count how many times I've seen drivers trying to pass someone recklessly, even on blind road bends

with complete disregard for safety or life...

You give them keys to a car and they think they know how to drive.

Most of these people should not have driving licenses, or be allowed to be on the road driving!!!

Sad! 

On 3/11/2017 at 11:15 AM, Pomthai said:

And it looks as though the camera car doesn't even stop, just squeezes on past the inside of the wreckage and pulls out as if to continue journey. :sad:

Err the sensible thing to do in a crash if possible is drive through then stop- you are then not blocking the road for emergency vehicles . The vehicle can be seen slowing as the video cuts out.  What it 'looks like' is based purely on your armchair judgement- the reality appears to be somewhat different. 

How can the leave those idiots behind the wheel is beyond me.  The figure they own the road.  I don't know how many times I avoided accidents by driving defensively.  They are working hard to become # 1 in the world for road accident, keep up the good work.  Freakin idiots.