Ford Everest Battery Drain Issue

Hi There,

Is anyone having issues with their Ford Everest battery going flat when not using the car for a short period?

I have the 2016 3.2 Titanium+ model.

Last year I was away for 2 weeks and when I got back it was totally dead.  No problem as it was at my house and I charged it over night.  It has been fine since.

However, today I got back to the airport where my car had been sat for 10 days - dead battery. 

I have left nothing on in the car.  Dodgy battery?

Cheers.

Make sure you get the right size/specification battery when you replace it. My wife got a standard replacement battery for her Focus it worked to start with but the car then had intermittent problems and ultimately broke down. It turns out the battery was too small and there are a lot of electrics in the Focus. As a new Everest owner I know there are a lot of electric gadgets in the vehicle. My first port of call would be Ford. On average I find batteries last me about 2 years here.

1 hour ago, angryfarang said:

The truck is 6 months old.

As trans said something draining the battery,  could be a number of things, faulty switch, a light staying on, or if you have had after market stuff fitted like an alarm maybe.

Auto electric shop should find it if not a duff battery, get ford check it out on warranty.

Whichever way go back to Ford.  You have a years warranty on the battery. And a 3-year warranty on most of the rest ... If you haven't added anything electrical you don't have a warranty problem, if you have remove it first.  I believe that the 12V plugins remain live so if you have a car cam plugged into them....

Just book the car in for checking... it could be a charging system fault ... it has a smart charge system.  

As you are in Bangkok ... book it in at Ford ChaengWattana. There is a guy there called Angelo who speaks english and very with it technically. I find the garage an exception to Fords normal service.  If you want his LINE PM me. They work 7-days but he is not always there on a Sunday.

If your battery has gone flat the charging system may need setting up again.   

Edited by JAS21

That's about normal I would say.

The thing will drain over a week or so. When you close the door with the key the alarm will set, and it'll start to drain.

If I leave my Fortuner with the alarm on it's just about buggered after 2 weeks.

The only way round it is unclick the bonnet/hood lock everything with key then disconnect the + side of battery. On returning open the door with key open B/Hood and replace +. It wont of cause have anything on electric wise. So suggest you get yourself fitted a peddle lock.

N/B keep draining the battery will eventually bugger it.   

Thanks for the replies.  It's going in for it's first service tomorrow, so they will check it out then.

It's definitely not the charging system.  I drove it home from the airport yesterday (40km drive) and yesterday and first thing this morning it's fine, turns over strong.   It must be something draining it.  It could possibly be the cam, I didn't thing to unplug that, but it normally goes off and on with the car ignition.  The only thing I leave are the lights and windscreen wipers set on auto.  Plus, it has an alarm.

I guess if I'm going to leave it for a while anywhere, the best option is to pull the battery connection, which is no major hassle.

It's highly unlikely that it's the alarm draining the battery, its estimated that it would take two months to drain the battery, the discharge is so miniscule. However we have a Mazda BT50 and after only six months the battery showed problems but Mazda replaced it free of charge and we've had no problems since.

17 minutes ago, angryfarang said:

I guess I could always replace the battery, that would eliminate it as being the issue.   I'll see if Ford will do it under warranty.

I can also check the drain on the battery with my voltmeter, see if that shows anything.

Please see your PM ... don't disconnect the battery ... even just to check the leakage current.  Let Ford sort it

Edited by JAS21

9 hours ago, fredob43 said:

That's about normal I would say.

The thing will drain over a week or so. When you close the door with the key the alarm will set, and it'll start to drain.

If I leave my Fortuner with the alarm on it's just about buggered after 2 weeks.

The only way round it is unclick the bonnet/hood lock everything with key then disconnect the + side of battery. On returning open the door with key open B/Hood and replace +. It wont of cause have anything on electric wise. So suggest you get yourself fitted a peddle lock.

N/B keep draining the battery will eventually bugger it.   

Just saying don't sound right to me,  in my village Mr Norway has a Fortuner and he don't use it much, leaves it in Phitsanulok car-park 2 weeks or more when he goes Bkk now and again, it's a couple of years old and he doesn't have any problems with it at all.

When l had my Vigo l could leave it parked for a couple of months and it would be OK with alarm on.

In the past I have had a ride that had a "drain", though the alternator worked fine it itself caused the "drain"...Very naughty....

When the ignition on rides are turned off there are still a few items still receiving a supply, so an investigation must be made by Ford. But first thing is to do an Amp test on the battery to establish stored available Amps..

34 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I'm guessing if fords honest about checking the battery there is a bad cell. If that's not it I've got two more guesses,lol.

If you are good at guessing ... can you guess what this red coloured switch is for in the picture below as that is a picture  of his battery ... lol ... and looking at the picture maybe part of the problem is the dirty surface ...

Battery.jpg

Edited by JAS21

34 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

If you are good at guessing ... can you guess what this red coloured switch is for in the picture below as that is a picture  of his battery ... lol ... and looking at the picture maybe part of the problem is the dirty surface ...

Battery.jpg

My fun ride I fitted a battery isolation switch. Every time I parked up it was switched, l hid it behind the rear number plate which was hinged to also access the fuel tank filler neck

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Just saying don't sound right to me,  in my village Mr Norway has a Fortuner and he don't use it much, leaves it in Phitsanulok car-park 2 weeks or more when he goes Bkk now and again, it's a couple of years old and he doesn't have any problems with it at all.

When l had my Vigo l could leave it parked for a couple of months and it would be OK with alarm on.

I can only say as I have found.

Used to leave the Spivo unlocked with a cover over, on the odd times I had to come back to the UK also connected a charger.

The wife used to turn that on 3/4 times a week for a minimum of 2 hour a time.

Result it was always flat on arriving back??? Couple of trips and the battery was buggered.

My Spivo has lights flashing bottom of dash permanently 24/7. Think it's something to do with alarm. That alone cant be the problem so it must be other things connected by Toyota on the Spivo that run it down.

Now I just cover and take the + off, no charger weeks later still fine.

Must admit that my Vigo was different kettle of fish never a flat battery no matter how long I left it.

N/B I have a top of the range sealed battery. And it's spotless has a pressure clean every 2 week if not more. So it's nothing to do with what Jas21 suggested it might be.

Edited by fredob43

Battery.jpg.87d0cd2ef1d0ce73a4bf8fe8f65e2197.jpg

Remote mechanics starter switch is all I've got for that one. The top of the battery looks to have fluid stain as possibly the battery boiled over? Not what I envisioned a 6 month old battery to look like. Also I noticed the battery was made in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Remote mechanics starter switch is all I've got for that one. The top of the battery looks to have fluid stain as possibly the battery boiled over? Not what I envisioned a 6 month old battery to look like. Also I noticed the battery was made in Thailand.

I'll let AF tell you what that is. 

Yes the top of the battery does look tatty for six months. The Battery is a re-badged  Bosch Silver Calcium, same as mine. Mine is now 15months old and has not given any problem.

I've had a look at the levels inside my battery and there is a huge space between the battery top and the fluid level. Because it's MF Ford don't even check the level at service. MF batteries have quite a depth of fluid above the plates and my experience is that they just don't need topping up...ever   

16 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Result it was always flat on arriving back??? Couple of trips and the battery was buggered.

Strange happenings !!   How did you get it recharged if your charger did not work.

16 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Now I just cover and take the + off, no charger weeks later still fine.

OK now that said would say you have drainage problem,  and not be alarmist mate would like it if you get it checked out.

15 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Also I noticed the battery was made in Thailand.

Not sure why you say that, l've had in 5 different vehicles Thai made batteries with stating made under licence for Japanese companies for over 12 years, never a problem on bikes and scoots, other than me leaving interior lights on in cars. :thumbsup:

Hook up voltmeter to battery. Start pulling fuses one by one. When the circuit causing the drain is discovered it will be easy to spot. And by how much. Then basic math will tell you how long this drain can go on for until battery is flat.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Strange happenings !!   How did you get it recharged if your charger did not work.

OK now that said would say you have drainage problem,  and not be alarmist mate would like it if you get it checked out.

Don't know about anyone else but this is my second post the last one didn't go in after I had submitted it. In total has taken me well over 1/2 and hour to put this in that's if it eventually does.

All I'm getting with TV is this page cant be displayed or the wed page cant be displayed. Just about peed off with TV. Rant over. Every other site's are fine so has to be TV.

Right K/S. 

I didn't say that the charger didn't charge I said that the battery went flat even with it connected.

Have had all the electrics checked and all seems fine. I don't have a clue as to why it does it but it does. N/B I can leave it week sometimes and it'll show it's fully charged also starts on the button well key. It's just if I leave it for over that I have the problem.

20 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Just about peed off with TV. Rant over. Every other site's are fine so has to be TV.

I guess your not alone, I have download speeds of over 40 Mb and it plays up slow sometimes on TV

1 minute ago, transam said:

Yesterday was a bad day to load stuff here, today back to normal...:smile:

Trans ...do you not have that the wrong way around ... yesterday was a normal day and today ......

1 hour ago, transam said:

Yesterday was a bad day to load stuff here, today back to normal...:smile:

Still playing up for me but nothing to complain about, TV said notice above threads about the Tapatalk thingy maybe the cause.