Thai Transport clarifies imposing higher standards to obtain new driving licence

webfact

Transport clarifies imposing higher standards to obtain new driving licence

155_Driving.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Transport yesterday said the proposed new ministerial regulation that will impose higher standards in obtaining new driving licence won't be enforced soon but at least a year later.

The assurance came as the ministry is introducing new driving permit qualification standards requiring all new applicants to pass a certain number of hours of instruction.

The proposed introduction has caused a stir among the public, prompting the ministry to come out to clarify.

The ministry’s spokesman Jirut Visarljit said the public should not be overly concerned as many formalities will have to be passed before the proposed ministerial regulation is put into practice.

According to the spokesman, the new regulation stipulates that new applicants for driver license will now be required to pass a minimum of 15 hours of instruction at qualified private driving schools before receiving their permits.

Furthermore, current drivers who wish to renew their driving license will also now be required to undergo at least 1 hour instruction as well.

However he said the problem is that at present, there are only 95 driving schools in 60 provinces in Thailand that have been approved by the Land Transport Department.

As for the fees that will be charged for driving instruction, he said the Land Transport Department has stated that no specific amount has been approved but a maximum ceiling of 6,000 baht per course has already been agreed upon.

Commenting on the complaints Transport Minister Arkom Termpitthayapaisith stated that the ministerial regulation was a necessary and vital step towards raising driving standards in the country in order to lower traffic accidents.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-clarifies-imposing-higher-standards-obtain-new-driving-licence/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-16

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Transport yesterday said the proposed new ministerial regulation that will impose higher standards in obtaining new driving licence won't be enforced soon but at least a year later.

Not like the Government to delay important things. :shock1:

ha ha, just too funny, so as and advance driver and qualified instructor driving for some 40 odd years I am going to have to listen to some unqualified Thai telling me how to drive and pay for the pleasure

they really need to think this through

The only way to improve road safety in Thailand in through regulation and law enforcement

As for training well I have no argument for new first time applicants, but the renewal process is a waste of resource and makes absolutely no sense.

Those that are wanting to work in the public transport sector should be required to hold a different licence and go through a more intense higher level of training to attain it.

What really puzzles me is the fact that all Thailand has to do is copy a tried and tested system like already exists in the UK, but no, they have to try and invent something of their own and constantly make asses of themselves

As for improving road safety, 90% of accidents here are caused by people who know they are doing something wrong, they already know the rules but for some reason want to break them, this is very clearly an enforcement issue

Enforce the laws and punish those that break them, repeat offenders - ban them and make them take the test again, the message will eventually get through

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

new applicants for driver license will now be required to pass a minimum of 15 hours of instruction at qualified private driving schools

My wife couldn't drive a ten-penny nail into a piece of cornbread when I met her, so I had her do a 40 hour driving class in a stick-shift.

She still can't drive a manual transmission vehicle, but does pretty good with an automatic.

This just in:   For RENEWALS they want to require the 15 hours as well.  See caption above the below photo.  Previously, they said only 1 hour training for renewals.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 2.41.06 PM.png

Edited by Fookhaht

39 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

This just in:   For RENEWALS they want to require the 15 hours as well.  See caption above the below photo.  Previously, they said only 1 hour training for renewals.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 2.41.06 PM.png

wait so i have to go to driving school to learn how to drive after driving for 30 years? hahahahaha

and it won't make one jot of difference because responsible adults will continue driving safely whilst "real" Thai men will carry on making their own rules

Edited by GeorgeCross

15 Hours of training may be better than now but still pitifully inadequate.

I see examples of bad driving from many people who have clearly been driving for many years but who have no respect whatsoever for the rules of the road.

They only ever have to worry currently if they have an accident, as the police roadside checks are a sad joke and do nothing to improve road safety.

Until such time as the police actually enforce the rules, the accidents, injuries and deaths will continue unabated.

9 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

15 Hours of training may be better than now but still pitifully inadequate.

I see examples of bad driving from many people who have clearly been driving for many years but who have no respect whatsoever for the rules of the road.

They only ever have to worry currently if they have an accident, as the police roadside checks are a sad joke and do nothing to improve road safety.

Until such time as the police actually enforce the rules, the accidents, injuries and deaths will continue unabated.

exactly

This approach is indicating that Thailands authorities believe that the horrific road traffic accident record is down to people not being aware of the rules, that thinking is flawed, they know the rules but just ignore them because they can get away with it

2 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Just like reversing on a highway having missed one's exit.

I can recall a few times where it might have been safer/quicker to back up on the expressway (I'd missed my exit).

I drove on to the next exit, thinking I'd make a U-Turn & wound up in the 4th or 5th dimension.

It added HOURS on to my trip.

Edited by jaywalker

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Furthermore, current drivers who wish to renew their driving license will also now be required to undergo at least 1 hour instruction as well.

What does this mean? We are already looking this funny video and have some tests. Do we have to drive or answer some Theory-Tests as well?

I would suggest the most likely outcome of requiring 15 hours of training before attaining your license will in fact result in a greater percentage of people driving without a license. The tougher you make the rules and the more you enforce them the more criminals you will create but the problems will remain. If the Police enforced the Road rules and indeed follow them themselves to set the example then you will begin to see improvements. My opinion on tightening licensing requirements is you simply create a larger percentage of unlicensed people on your roads.

Edited by Kiwiken

When they tightened up the UK driving test (and introduced a theory test as well) a pal who was with the Driving Standards Agency or whatever it is called told me that there was a significant increase in the number of people taking out provisional ( learner ) licenses and never exchanging them for a full license. In other words they failed the test but just carried on driving...

Edited by JAG

They should also enact a law that all vehicle drivers are obliged to ensure that their vehicles are technically functioning.
a. That the lighting system works and is also switched on in darkness.
b. That the brakes are working. 
c. That the tires still have a profile.
Too many idiots drive around here on their motorcycles at night without light.
Many want to save money and do not take care for safety-relevant repairs.

24 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

They should also enact a law that all vehicle drivers are obliged to ensure that their vehicles are technically functioning.
a. That the lighting system works and is also switched on in darkness.
b. That the brakes are working. 
c. That the tires still have a profile.
Too many idiots drive around here on their motorcycles at night without light.
Many want to save money and do not take care for safety-relevant repairs.

Hahahahaha, keep on dreaming!

Somchai loves his blue led-lights...they are far more important than a working headlight or indicators.

Well, with a policeforce like there is now nothing is going to work....