CNN: Bangkok has the best street food in the world

webfact

CNN: Bangkok has the best street food in the world

1603001-streetfood-bangkok.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha was delighted that Bangkok was chosen as the world’s Number One city with the best street food by CNN for the second year in a row.

Government spokesman Lt-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Thursday that the prime minister described street food as unique and a charm of Bangkok.

He added that the prime minister also called on street food vendors to maintain food hygiene and cleanliness of their food and the environment of their food stalls and to cooperate with city officials in ensuring order.

CNN reported that it is impossible to avoid street food in Bangkok where sidewalk vendors in different parts of the city operate on a fixed rotation.

Some take care of the breakfast crowd with sweet soymilk and bean curd while others dish up fragrant rice and poached chicken for lunch. The late-night crowd offers everything from phad thai noodles to grilled satay.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cnn-bangkok-best-street-food-world/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-17

I don't doubt it, but it's their thing innit? Street food is everywhere. We tended to stop doing this so much in our countries due to people graduating to cooking their own food in their own kitchen and all the rules and regs. The only gripes I have with street food here are the hygiene (rats convention), overused oils and overused favourings (+MSG).

The street food is actually very nice! For everyone that dares to try it, that will say!
Relly cheap for a good portion of food, actually made out of somebody that loves it. Mostly they always treat you with a smile too, that makes the food taste even better!

3 hours ago, TSF said:

Thai street food is OK but the street food in Malaysia (in particular Penang) & Singapore is way better.

agree about Singapore, but nearly 5 times the price? Penang is good. But not so in other Malaysian places.

I love Thai street food but am wary of hygene.

Thai street food is OK but the street food in Malaysia (in particular Penang) & Singapore is way better.

No way Penang street food is better.
Been feew times in P. Always looked for foods even googled it and yt it. Its just chinese food and offten when served by chineses its dirty with surprises in it. Bit of plastic bit of hair etc..... And its much less only few popular spots. Nothing special and was dissapointed.

I followed his foot steps. I was after good indian the one he recommends in vid. It tasty but very low on hygiene side. Then u got indians next to u eating with hands.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thai street food is the best in the World based upon taste and cost. I have eaten it for 50 years and never sick. However, I did eat in a very upscale restaurant and was quite sick from food poisoning. Those who eat it build up anti bodies against strains of bacteria. 

Since so many people like street food- the Bangkok Administration may want to stop bothering honest vendors who provide a popular service.

In answer to the poster who indicated CNN was propagating 'fake news'- I suggest he listen to fox news who are famous for  'alterative facts'.  For every CNN error- I could come up with the equivalent on other news outlets. It proves nothing except that most 'news shows' are not about the news but about ratings and money. You will never see Donald Trump even venture into a street food outlet anywhere in the World. He is afraid of his own shadow. President Obama has eaten street food in Asia.

Edited by Thaidream

best food ?????? just came back from BKK, I saw a street food store cutting roasted pork on a chopping board but the chopping board also had a lot of raw meat on it, I think she just cut some raw meat and then put the cooked roasted pork on the same board .

Also I stopped at one petrol station, wanted to eat there, the food store lady asked me what did I want to eat, she just picked her ear and the fingers still rubbing together, I was sick seeing that. I would not eat at those store anymore.

street food vendors in Bangkok are slowly but surely being eliminated.... 

the upper-class areas like paragon/ siam square  have been devoid of street food vendors for awhile 

Allot of vendors who use to frequent the Asok area are disappearing also. 

Cops in bangkok need to get serious about cracking down on cars and trucks spewing out thick black smoke.

Edited by speckio

Good Lord People- when you eat food on the street- don't expect the cleanliness of the Oriental Hotel.  The price is cheap; so are the surroundings.  Those who can't handle street food- go to higher priced restaurants if you want. I will continue to eat street food because I like it. This is Thailand- not New York or London.  

All a matter of taste.  I try to avoid it because it's made so close to car fumes.  I avoided it in Hong Kong too.

I don't doubt it, but it's their thing innit? Street food is everywhere. We tended to stop doing this so much in our countries due to people graduating to cooking their own food in their own kitchen and all the rules and regs. The only gripes I have with street food here are the hygiene (rats convention), overused oils and overused favourings (+MSG).

What does it matter if you are already breathing the fumes? Breathing will draw a thousand times more fumes than what will stick to a piece of chicken

6 hours ago, TSF said:

The food overthere is indeed more tasty but the stalls/foodcourts in Penang are just as filthy, old, crappy as in Thailand.

I love to eat streetfood but not from filthy stalls or filthy wet floors where soidogs/cats/rats hang around as well.

Lately BKK has many more real foodtrucks like in the West but they are parked on big markets. And many of them have no english menu/prices at all so i have no idea what they're cooking. 

They should just rent the shops along the sidewalks and convert them in to takeaway restaurants/snackshops...sell through the window and it would be perfect.

1 hour ago, payttayasquirt said:

What does it matter if you are already breathing the fumes? Breathing will draw a thousand times more fumes than what will stick to a piece of chicken

So because I'm breathing dirty air, i should also eat dirty food instead of going into a restaurant to eat clean food.  Makes sense to me.

So because I'm breathing dirty air, i should also eat dirty food instead of going into a restaurant to eat clean food.  Makes sense to me .

Well yeah. Your lungs are polluted dude it's in your system. That's doing a thousand times more damage than chicken soup being eaten in the same environment.

Your logic is bizarre.

.. Errrm never mind