Cabinet allocates Bt300m for Thailand to host MotoGP for three years

snoop1130

Cabinet allocates Bt300m for Thailand to host MotoGP for three years

By The Nation

d9b1299d9264fabd1191151df45573db.jpeg

The Cabinet has approved a Bt300-million budget to cover the licensing fee for Thailand to host a MotoGP annually from 2018 to 2020.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavarangkul said Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting had agreed to pay for the licence fee, costing Bt100 million a year, of the FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix, which is the premier class of motorcycle road racing. 

As to organisation costs, the government is seeking support from the private sector, with details to be announced later, she added.

Buriram United International Circuit will be the competition venue for the first MotoGP in Thailand, which is expected to be held early next year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30309790

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-21

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Is this the same as they are hosting the Formula 1 Grand Prix?  Let's see if they do actually host it.  Thailand is extremely good at spruiking they are going to host major international sporting events.

I am not sure that they understand  what they are hosting, a good start would be to actually show the next season on Thai TV, as of now regardless of their intentions they show neither F1 or MotoGP yet expect to host actual races ..............................sorry I'm missing something, sounds like a lot of hot air and wishful thinking

you want to host these world events then at least start to show them on Thai TV

56 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

more smoke and mirrors, they need to improve the ticket buying options first, the WSB tickets are a night mare if you do not live here.

agree, but maybe Moto GP will be better organised. More hotels would be good as well.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

For this major event, I would say that a city of Buriram´s caliber would be a perfect choise! I´m sure I´ve missed some essential information somewhere!?

What you may be missing is a very new excellent circuit built by a chap that loves motor racing and especially bikes. Venue sorted, infrastructure  needs help.

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

more smoke and mirrors, they need to improve the ticket buying options first, the WSB tickets are a night mare if you do not live here.

Friend bought great WSB tickets at the gate.

Plenty available.

No nightmare, sir.

Pray this happens .Would be great not having to go out of the country to see it. I'm sure there would be a few hiccups first year but after that should be a success.

As for F1 you can keep it. Usually dull as hell unless it rains !!

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I am not sure that they understand  what they are hosting, a good start would be to actually show the next season on Thai TV, as of now regardless of their intentions they show neither F1 or MotoGP yet expect to host actual races ..............................sorry I'm missing something, sounds like a lot of hot air and wishful thinking

you want to host these world events then at least start to show them on Thai TV

Most countries nowadays do not show sporting events on terrestrial TV maybe the odd football game etc, most are on satellite TV Thailand included.

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

For this major event, I would say that a city of Buriram´s caliber would be a perfect choise! I´m sure I´ve missed some essential information somewhere!?

Time for those with significant others in Buriram to invest in superior lodging for the visitors... or kick out the in-laws and put at least one aircon and a hot shower in the existing hovel.

25 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Pray this happens .Would be great not having to go out of the country to see it. I'm sure there would be a few hiccups first year but after that should be a success.

Agreed. Went to a MotoGP in Malaysia and the thrill was lost with the +3 hour commute back to KL. The second time, we stayed in KL and watched it on the telly. The year after that, it was available from just about any hole-in-the-wall watering hole in LOS.

Sepang can keep F1.

The Japanese Super GT series has been held at the circuit for 2 straight years, I believe it has been very successful and the venue is up to standards. Teams even flew in their own "pretties" from japan.

Too bad the drive there takes 5 hours or so. It would be perfect if it was located closer to bangkok.

31 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

No track in Thailand conforms to F1requirements,

including Buriram.

Agree on dullness.

Some races no car passes another.

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Time for those with significant others in Buriram to invest in superior lodging for the visitors... or kick out the in-laws and put at least one aircon and a hot shower in the existing hovel.

Agreed. Went to a MotoGP in Malaysia and the thrill was lost with the +3 hour commute back to KL. The second time, we stayed in KL and watched it on the telly. The year after that, it was available from just about any hole-in-the-wall watering hole in LOS.

Sepang can keep F1.

Yeah the commute put me off going and getting back is a nightmare most people say. Start praying !! :smile:

32 minutes ago, papa al said:

No track in Thailand conforms to F1requirements,

including Buriram.

Agree on dullness.

Some races no car passes another.

Im sure it is up to moto gp standard though as it was upgraded last year I think in hope that F1 would come.

Also look at the cost to get moto gp to come to a country to race vs F1 .Moto gp far better value for money and they hardly stop a race when it rains unlike the F1 babies who cry after a few drops of rain !! 

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Friend bought great WSB tickets at the gate.

Plenty available.

No nightmare, sir.

If I was coming from another country I would want my tickets prior to flying, buying at the gate no thanks. I would want the grandstand of my choice not the leftovers.

2 hours ago, alant said:

What you may be missing is a very new excellent circuit built by a chap that loves motor racing and especially bikes. Venue sorted, infrastructure  needs help.

I agree with you on both points. The circuit is excellent from a spectator viewing perspective but the infrastructure is almost non-existent.

At the World Superbike this year there were no race programs on sale, in 2016 they actually had some but ran out by the second day. The small amount of merchandise that's on sale is 90% Buriram United football shirts and the concession stands are almost useless.

The bric website could also be a lot better.

I thought that they had held one motogp race there, the BT sport motogp commentators were talking about the circuit last season and saying how much they enjoyed it there and were hoping to return.

Let's for the sake of argument that this actually comes to pass. With the two days of practice, one day for qualifying and the actual race on the Sunday where are the tens of thousand of people going to stay??? In Buriram??? That city simply does not have the available rooms to accomodate the fans and you know right well Newin will make sure all his special friends will have first go at what is available. So where to for the unlucky fans, Surin, Prasat, Si Sa Ket? Get real, only Surin might be able to handle it but the commute to and from the Circuit would be a nightmare. Drive up from Bangkok on race day??? Yeah right. Fly in on race day?? Not unless you will enjoy sitting in traffic that is not moving as the Airport is a good 30 minutes from the Circuit. When pigs fly will Moto GP come to Buriram.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

4 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

If I was coming from another country I would want my tickets prior to flying, buying at the gate no thanks. I would want the grandstand of my choice not the leftovers.

1. Why?

2. Tickets at gate for great seats in both grandstands.

But if you really like whining about things & inventing problems, sure,

!! WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!.

Sheesh.

8 minutes ago, papa al said:

1. Why?

2. Tickets at gate for great seats in both grandstands.

But if you really like whining about things & inventing problems, sure,

!! WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!.

Sheesh.

You clearly have never been to a properly organised Moto GP event, there will be many thousands more people than the 2nd rate WSB there is no comparison, it will be a complete nightmare getting tickets at the gate, No Thanks, will watch Fox Sports on TV, there are also no where near enough hotels in the area, it will be a total fiasco unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

You clearly have never been to a properly organised Moto GP event, there will be many thousands more people than the 2nd rate WSB there is no comparison, it will be a complete nightmare getting tickets at the gate, No Thanks, will watch Fox Sports on TV, there are also no where near enough hotels in the area, it will be a total fiasco unfortunately.

I don't think there will be many thousands more people - they might want to come but the fact is, once all the tickets are sold then that's it, you can't have any more and the grandstand was full the other week for the World Super Bike. I booked my hotel in Buri Ram a couple of months in advance but there were still some rooms available on the Thursday before. So having dealt with a capacity crowd at the Superbikes then dealing with a capacity crowd at a Moto GP will be no different unless they decide to add temporary stands and increase the capacity. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not surprising since the guy who owns/built the circuit also owns the footie team.

Yes I know he owns the circuit. I also know that he has a large shop at the football stadium that sells Buriram United football team merchandise. You'd think it wouldn't take a marketing genius to come up with the idea of selling something that would appeal to motor racing fans in addition to his football shirts, especially when you can buy them anywhere in Buri Ram.

13 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I don't think there will be many thousands more people - they might want to come but the fact is, once all the tickets are sold then that's it, you can't have any more and the grandstand was full the other week for the World Super Bike. I booked my hotel in Buri Ram a couple of months in advance but there were still some rooms available on the Thursday before. So having dealt with a capacity crowd at the Superbikes then dealing with a capacity crowd at a Moto GP will be no different unless they decide to add temporary stands and increase the capacity. 

The demand for Moto GP will be at least 3 times WSB there is no comparison. 

10 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

The demand for Moto GP will be at least 3 times WSB there is no comparison. 

The point I tried to make in my last post is that it doesn't matter what the demand is, once they reach capacity, that's it, and at the Superbikes they had a capacity crowd. So, unless they add temporary stands and increase capacity they will have no problem hosting the event, regardless of whether its Superbikes or Moto GP.

6 hours ago, nahkit said:

Yes I know he owns the circuit. I also know that he has a large shop at the football stadium that sells Buriram United football team merchandise. You'd think it wouldn't take a marketing genius to come up with the idea of selling something that would appeal to motor racing fans in addition to his football shirts, especially when you can buy them anywhere in Buri Ram.

But that would cost money.