battery for camry hybrids

padgebkk

I have a 2011 Camry Hybrid. A new Hybrid battery costs 100,000 baht from Toyota. The battery for the engine cost 10,000 baht. I heard of a reputable (?) firm in Bangkok that does Hybrid replacements for 50,000 baht - all guaranteed and supposedly better quality than the Toyota original. Unfortunately, I have no contact details. Can anyone help me on this? And pleases, don't get into a conversation about the pros and cons of Hybrid Technology.

15 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

Are you really foolish enough to risk all those expensive electronics/motor/controllers in your car just to save 50K baht ??? Guarantee in thailand ? hahahahahahahahaha 

batteries  didnt  last  long  then

The battery should still be under warranty. 

Once of the guys at work just had the batteries replaced in his Camry and Toyota advised there is a 10 year warranty on the battery. 

1 hour ago, wow64 said:

The battery should still be under warranty. 

Once of the guys at work just had the batteries replaced in his Camry and Toyota advised there is a 10 year warranty on the battery. 

Yes ... that is correct... and during that period they will replace any duff ones...

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Yes ... that is correct... and during that period they will replace any duff ones...

I'm not sure the earlier versions had a 10 year warranty. Friend of mine was going to buy one years ago, but toyota wouldn't tell him how much the battery cost. He ended up with a teana which he still has. 

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I'm not sure the earlier versions had a 10 year warranty. Friend of mine was going to buy one years ago, but toyota wouldn't tell him how much the battery cost. He ended up with a teana which he still has. 

OK ... I looked a buying one new in 2015 and that is what Toyota told me then...

• 10 year warranty in thailand ? might want to check the law on that one. I would have a shop open the battery compartment and check all the terminals you could just have some corrosion on them and a good cleaning will restore your power. Its just a bank of NIMH cells strung together by connectors and any of them could be bad.

They are not rubbish but I wouldnt buy one. Another couple of things to check before buying a new battery is the cooling fan and controller for the battery box and then check the charging rate from the controller to the battery, maybe its not charging them enough. I cant see the whole bank being bad maybe a few cells which can be replaced much cheaper.

23 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:
  • 10 year warranty in thailand ? might want to check the law on that one. I would have a shop open the battery compartment and check all the terminals you could just have some corrosion on them and a good cleaning will restore your power. Its just a bank of NIMH cells strung together by connectors and any of them could be bad.

Both the current accord and nissan x-trail give 10 year warranties on their hybrid batteries.

As has been mentioned, your hybrid battery should have a 10yr warranty on it. My coworker just replaced his using that warranty 2 weeks ago. He did have to wait a few weeks for the new pack to come in to his dealer. Contact your local dealer, if not helpful contact Toyota Thailand.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2017 at 11:37 AM, Hereinthailand said:

Are you really foolish enough to risk all those expensive electronics/motor/controllers in your car just to save 50K baht ??? Guarantee in thailand ? hahahahahahahahaha 

Mate, get over it.The batteries are made over in this neck of the woods anyway.

A hell of a lot of things are MADE here.

You're confusing poor workmanship at the service level with manufactured items by accredited firms at the production level.

Have a think ...can you think of anything that is made in Thailand and is world class material?

I can.

your scooter and pickup most likely made here.

But getting back to the Service level ...

Sure, there's a lot of dodgies ... I can attest to that.

But, come on, a battery changeover isn't rocket science ... the hard part is getting the best quality at the right price.

Toyota here in Chiang Rai quoted 20,000 baht to change out the 12 volt battery ... A Panasonic D26 Maintenance free.

My wife called Panasonic in Bangkok and was quoted 2,000 baht for the exact same battery from Panasonic ... internal duplicates, save for a temperature sensor on the Toyota Battery, and a label saying it passed the Toyota QC.

As a further guide, no 2011 Camry will have GPS updates installed ... why? ... because it runs off a CD and Toyota want 20,000 baht for an update disc.

Cool, huh?

But fear not. I will be reading the Toyota warranty most carefully before doing anything.

But some happy news now ...

I checked out the car after Songhran (all this drama happened while I was in Bang Saray. By the time I got back, it was all a done deal, repaired (?) by Toyota). The car just would not accelerate. Put your foot to the floor and nothing happened. Trouble there was, there was carpet piece had worked its way up behind a linkage and the floor was a long way away.

Problem solved.

As to this battery saga ...

I have monitored the small one. It has never gone below 12.7 volts, after days of standing idle.

The Traction battery is showing good on the Display graph ... very good, as  matter of fact. Holds it's charge well, and never drained, once you get moving.

Anyway all, that's it for me ... I'll see youse in some other thread, I guess.

Have good, all

Just now, padgebkk said:

Mate, get over it.The batteries are made over in this neck of the woods anyway.

A hell of a lot of things are MADE here.

You're confusing poor workmanship at the service level with manufactured items by accredited firms at the production level.

Have a think ...can you think of anything that is made in Thailand and is world class material?

I can.

your scooter and pickup most likely made here.

But getting back to the Service level ...

Sure, there's a lot of dodgies ... I can attest to that.

But, come on, a battery changeover isn't rocket science ... the hard part is getting the best quality at the right price.

Toyota here in Chiang Rai quoted 20,000 baht to change out the 12 volt battery ... A Panasonic D26 Maintenance free.

My wife called Panasonic in Bangkok and was quoted 2,000 baht for the exact same battery from Panasonic ... internal duplicates, save for a temperature sensor on the Toyota Battery, and a label saying it passed the Toyota QC.

As a further guide, no 2011 Camry will have GPS updates installed ... why? ... because it runs off a CD and Toyota want 20,000 baht for an update disc.

Cool, huh?

But fear not. I will be reading the Toyota warranty most carefully before doing anything.

But some happy news now ...

I checked out the car after Songhran (all this drama happened while I was in Bang Saray. By the time I got back, it was all a done deal, repaired (?) by Toyota). The car just would not accelerate. Put your foot to the floor and nothing happened. Trouble there was, there was carpet piece had worked its way up behind a linkage and the floor was a long way away.

Problem solved.

As to this battery saga ...

I have monitored the small one. It has never gone below 12.7 volts, after days of standing idle.

The Traction battery is showing good on the Display graph ... very good, as  matter of fact. Holds it's charge well, and never drained, once you get moving.

Anyway all, that's it for me ... I'll see youse in some other thread, I guess.

Have good, all

Sorry guys, one last thing ...

This is a great car to drive ... if I get a few more years out of the batteries, I will have no qualms forking out for a new set ...

Was a 100,000 baht worth of fuel saved in 6 years, or is the environment any cleaner taking into consideration replacement batteries and the recycling of the old ones, or is all just a "feelgood factor"?