Warning: credit card fraud after using my card at Living Index Mall in Pattaya

Kitmakmak

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Absolutely, without the code, valid only a few minute, sent by SMS by my bank,  impossible to use the card online.

My Kasikorn debit card uses the SMS code thingy for AliExpress, Amazon, some online hotel and airplane reservations, but not charges from Lazada and others.

I do get an SMS immediately upon any activity on the card, usually before I've even reached for the money in the ATM, or signed the ticket at BigC.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the credit card company is not the bank - whilst the bank seems to be the point of contact for all issues regarding the credit card. My credit card is from my home country, but I use it in many countries. They send an SMS to my home country phone number when "a suspicious transaction is made", but this is useless if I'm abroad (most of the time). I've told them to send an automated email every time I use my credit card, but nothing like that has happened. 

The requirement to have additional passcodes (like "verified by visa") when making a purchase online comes from the vendor to protect their reputation - it is at their request, not visa or your bank. It should be compulsory imo.

The process to cancel credit cards and replace them is a pita. Not to mention all payments that are linked to it for automated payment have to be updated. I would recommend keeping a list of all of those companies that you have that option with because there is always some I forget. Some are only payments once a year and without any other notification, they can get lost. Then you try and use something about it only to find you didn't update the credit card details 3 years ago and you don't have the insurance / or whatever you thought you had.

29 minutes ago, impulse said:

My Kasikorn debit card uses the SMS code thingy for AliExpress, Amazon, some online hotel and airplane reservations, but not charges from Lazada and others.

I do get an SMS immediately upon any activity on the card, usually before I've even reached for the money in the ATM, or signed the ticket at BigC.

I do not know why, I do buy on Lazada almost every single month, have to put this SMS code every single time.

I must say I have been lucky so far.
Not once found any irregularities with my credit cards and I use them in thailand very frequently. 
Only used them at places with good reputation.  Heck, never had a problem using them to pay for my bin in a few well known agogo's.

I rarely if ever use my either American or Thai credit or debit cards in LOS. I do everything in cash by withdrawing from the same ATMs at the bank.

Very few problems. 

A few years back I used my American credit card at a travel agency for a large purchase and it was cancelled for security reasons.

i didn't want to have them mail me a new one here so got by without it until I got back to the USA .

So I keep it simple. 

22 hours ago, james1995 said:

What sane person uses credit cards in thailand(carders paradise)??:shock1:   I'm afraid to even carry an atm card anymore without having it wrapped up in several layers of aluminum foil.

Just about everyone I know, and hundreds more I don't but observe using them do. Credit cards, atm cards. 

Have you heard of the word "paranoia"? Well, you're taking it to new heights.

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Just Google "remove CVV" and you will get thousand on pages about that, like this one

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pf/remove-cvv-code-prevent-misuse-110062700039_1.html

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not living in India and that is 7 years old //

How is the location/country important?

For the majority of cards (Visa, MasterCard,...) they work the same way in most countries. (Except maybe in the USA who were 20 years late on chip cards by example).

How is the age of the article important?

The CVV/CVC system must be 15 or 20 years old, so very probably you can find on the web articles 15 years old who recommend to erase or mask this code from your cards to avoid online fraud. You certainly can find articles from 2017 too, because this is still a valid recommendation nowadays.

I personally always masked them on my cards. Never get any fraud with my cards, and never had any problem using my cards with masked CVV in no-online shops.

On 29/5/2560 at 9:32 PM, Pattaya46 said:

I am very perplex every time I read such stories... :unsure:

For many years I have to always confirm any online purchase with a code the bank send me by SMS, for all the cards I had, from different banks. Sometimes double check with 3-D Secure Visa or similar.  So are there still banks that don't use such systems ?

Also the CVV is required - at least with my cards - for any online use. So how is it possible that someone can so easily buy software online in the USA ??

:unsure:

My bank would have a great deal of difficulty SMSing me as I don't use a phone overseas, so there is no way to reach me. My risk, I suppose, but I can go online and check occasionally to see if something bad going on.

What is a CVV?

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My bank would have a great deal of difficulty SMSing me as I don't use a phone overseas, so there is no way to reach me. My risk, I suppose, but I can go online and check occasionally to see if something bad going on.

What is a CVV?

Card Verification Value, the 3 -4 digit number on the back of the card. Next time, I'll be giving you complete instructions on how to use Google.

22 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Just about everyone I know, and hundreds more I don't but observe using them do. Credit cards, atm cards. 

Have you heard of the word "paranoia"? Well, you're taking it to new heights.

I think it was Henry Kissinger who said even paranoids have enemies.

I have used my 3 Kasikorn cards an 1 card from Bangkok bank , almost daily for 7 years. Never had a problem. And I have also done my shopping at Index mall , I highly doubt the staff would sell your CC information.
You did online shopping in the past so most likely it could have happened online or someone hacked into your account.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 8:13 AM, steven100 said:

Same here, I think it was another TV member ( Bazza  )  who said it was best to have a metal covering around your CC.

So I wrap them in alfoil 5 times ...  and keep a 1 meter safety barrier from anyone ......   apparently they can get your details just by brushing past you. :shock1:

Sorry but I get this image of someone jumping  from side to side on the sidewalk trying to maintain that 1 meter distance with each passerby.    How on earth do you manage  a distance when standing in a que?

On 6/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, watcharacters said:

Sorry but I get this image of someone jumping  from side to side on the sidewalk trying to maintain that 1 meter distance with each passerby.    How on earth do you manage  a distance when standing in a que?

Actually, they can not get your visa details from the contactless visa. But if enabled, they can charge your contactless visa for small amounts a few times without needing your 
PIN. And no, a 1m distance is not required to avoid your card being scanned, the device needs to be within 10cm to work correctly (NFC specs).

If you want to be sure, you can do tests using a mobile phone that supports NFC. It will give you exactly the distance between your phone and card for it to work. 
With a samsung S4 mini, the distance was less then 2 cm, I also tested it with my access badge and the distance was about 5 cm.

On 5/31/2017 at 5:19 PM, bazza73 said:

I think it was Henry Kissinger who said even paranoids have enemies.

He worked for  one of the most paranoid people in history and should qualify on that  statement.

Kind of cool for me that Mr. Kissoff ( Dr. Strangelove, or how I learned to love the bomb) is still vertical and breathing.

There is virtually  no guarantee on protection or privacy.