Blood tests--Problem

oxo1947

Does any one have the same problem--its seems just difficult to get blood from me. This is not just at the blood clinic, had the same problem on the operating table at Bumrungrad hospital, anaesthetist had to go around and swap arms. I want to do some tests now but the last three times they have not been able to take a blood sample at the Clinic (different ones) about 3 days before I go.....drink lots of water take lot more Vit e and some aspirin try to thin the blood as much as possible--the last successful one was at a hospital where they had me sitting with my arm hanging down before the nurse done it on her third try. I'm 70 --is there any tips on making it easier--I dont like it being taken from the back of the hand--but in some places that seems to be the only place they have success. 

I have had a similar problem all my live. The never can find my veins/arteries in my arms. I have looked like a junky after getting blood tests many times. Most of the time they have better luck using my hands (hurts more though).

Same problem must have had 50 needles into me in last six months, for either IV or blood out, even for MRIs with dye sometimes almost impossible to find the vein, and on one of the many they gave up, in India if I remember correctly

Sometimes my hands and arms have been black and blue

I carry a small spray of local anaesthetic so at least I can reduce the pain, makes the nurses smile ! and request a neat tequila shot but so far not yet got one

Don't take aspirin for this!!!

It will in no way help locate a vein, but it will lead you to bruise more afterwards.

Some people's veins are deep, other people's veins literally "hide" (i.e. they constrict as soon as a needle pierces the skin).

Making sure the tourniquet is applied tightly enough (bit not so tightly that it obliterates the pulse), hanging the arm down and waiting a bit before trying (which in my experience here they fail to do) , all help. Applications of heat are also helpful but good luck persuading anyone here to do that.

Even with all that, may still end up having to take from the hand.

Weight loss and exercise both help makeveins more prominent/easy to locate.

Besides the veins on the back of the hand, there is a vein located along the side of the wrist near the thumb that is usually pretty easy to get, called the "intern's vein" for that reason.  See if you can locate it when the tourniquet is on and if so, point it out to them. I notice that Thais seem nto to use this for soem reason.

For drawing blood what is important is not being able to see the vein but being able to feel it. Something that stands up a bit and is easily palpated is ideal.

Every time I need a blood test in any Thai hospital it is a nightmare to find a vein.
I get two blood test/year at my home village practician and he has zero issue, no need for a tourniquet or whatever. Something is wrong with Thai nursing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, tartempion said:

Every time I need a blood test in any Thai hospital it is a nightmare to find a vein.
I get two blood test/year at my home village practician and he has zero issue, no need for a tourniquet or whatever. Something is wrong with Thai nursing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

So go home, simple

No its not that simple a1007----wish that it was as I visit my Daughters in Oz at least once every two years----Same results in Oz only they (by their rules)can only try a few times then must tell you to go---Blood clinics I am referring to. I dont find the medical staff unprofessional here---as I just quoted in my post it also happened in the operating room in Bumrungrad hospital ---you really can not get much better trained people than there. I think It's as Sheryl said.....

"Some people's veins are deep, other people's veins literally "hide" (i.e. they constrict as soon as a needle pierces the skin)".--- Sheryl

Yer at the sight of a needle....mine run and hide...................:coffee1:

I have the same problem occasionally, but my GP said that he learnt an old trick when he was doing his training at hospital, and he takes it from where my arm meets my elbow if that makes any sense, i.e. if you turn your wrist upside down and bend your arm upwards as if to flex your bicep, then go to the outer of the crease of either your left or right arm, depending on which one your flexing, and its literally on the crease, but slightly down a about the thickness of your thumbnail.

So whenever I go for a blood test at one of those blood place, I tell them that I must have small veins because everyone has trouble finding them, so if they want too, they can go to where my doctor goes, some take up the advice, others try their way 1st, sometimes it works, other times they then go to where my doctor goes and sometimes I want to slap those ones 555

So go home, simple

Idiotic reply that is.
I get checked twice year in home country, zero issues.
Sometimes I get sick in Thailand and need blood test, had a bronchitis in January needing intraveineous antibiotic, same two years ago for a prostate infection. Here in Thailand it is always a botched job. I live here for 15 years, can't remember a single blood puncture without issues.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/4/2017 at 8:08 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I have the same problem occasionally, but my GP said that he learnt an old trick when he was doing his training at hospital, and he takes it from where my arm meets my elbow if that makes any sense, i.e. if you turn your wrist upside down and bend your arm upwards as if to flex your bicep, then go to the outer of the crease of either your left or right arm, depending on which one your flexing, and its literally on the crease, but slightly down a about the thickness of your thumbnail.

So whenever I go for a blood test at one of those blood place, I tell them that I must have small veins because everyone has trouble finding them, so if they want too, they can go to where my doctor goes, some take up the advice, others try their way 1st, sometimes it works, other times they then go to where my doctor goes and sometimes I want to slap those ones 555

This is the "sweet spot" for me.  In my mid-thirties, I underwent a fruitless series of IVF treatments that involved daily blood testing during a week or so each month.  Over the course of several years.  The phlebotomist who did this was a real pro and we went thru every trick discussed in this thread to try to get sufficient blood samples.  Ahead of every IVF procedure, they'd need an extraordinary amount of blood and one time they asked for a re-do, because the technician had dropped the tray of tubes on the way to the lab.

After all the needles sticks, I developed a very nice callous in the sweet spot and it's very nice to show technicians now where to go for a blood sample.

Archived