Safety concerns

Bob102

I used to live and teach in Thailand for about four years back in 2006. I met my wife, who is Thai, during this time and we had a son together. The three of us moved back to the US in 2010 and had another son here in 2013. My wife is planning to take the boys to Thailand for about a month this summer while I remain here and continue working. I am not feeling very comfortable with her traveling alone -- woman traveling alone with two Thai/American boys, ages 3 and 9. She will be staying in Bangkok and visiting family in Sisaket. The last time I visited Thailand was about 5 years ago to attend my father-in-law's funeral; he was hit by a speeding truck while traveling on motorbike in Sisaket. I worry about everything from the loosely enforced traffic laws, especially in the countryside, to losing our rowdy 3-year old in Bangkok. Someone please tell me that my concerns are unfounded. 

I don't share your concern. Thailand is not an overly dangerous country per se.

Your wife is Thai, speaks the language, knows her way.

The boys are too small to ride on a motorbike (maybe you should urge your wife not to ride one).

In Si Sa Ket the boys will be little princes being looked after by all the family, grannys, aunts etc.

(do they speak Thai?)

Make sure your wife takes a reasonably safe transport from Bangkok to Si Sa Ket (flight to Ubon and being picked up by the family).

Cut the Bangkok stay as short as possible.

Do you really think Thailand is more dangerous than the USA?  

Let them have a great and happy holiday. Focus on the positive, not the negative. I have always believed that we have a big say in how our future evolves simply by the things we focus on.

In other words....the thing we focus on becomes our reality.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Do you really think Thailand is more dangerous than the USA?  

Let them have a great and happy holiday. Focus on the positive, not the negative. I have always believed that we have a big say in how our future evolves simply by the things we focus on.

In other words....the thing we focus on becomes our reality.

Thailand is more dangerous, considering traffic deaths (and those numbers under reported) and gun violence higher than US. That said, chances are still very low that anything bad will happen. Life always involves risk taking

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

Thailand is more dangerous, considering traffic deaths (and those numbers under reported) and gun violence higher than US. That said, chances are still very low that anything bad will happen. Life always involves risk taking

US is FAR more dangerous in virtually every regard;

here in Thailand, one's odds of being arrested, incarcerated, or just shot by police are FAR less than US-

the only thing really truly dangerous here is driving and transportation

14 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

US is FAR more dangerous in virtually every regard;

here in Thailand, one's odds of being arrested, incarcerated, or just shot by police are FAR less than US-

the only thing really truly dangerous here is driving and transportation

Did you miss part about them living in the US since 2010?  No mention "of being arrested, incarcerated, or just shot by police"...  Duh!

Scaremongering drivel!

On 6/8/2017 at 6:30 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I don't share your concern. Thailand is not an overly dangerous country per se.

Your wife is Thai, speaks the language, knows her way.

The boys are too small to ride on a motorbike (maybe you should urge your wife not to ride one).

In Si Sa Ket the boys will be little princes being looked after by all the family, grannys, aunts etc.

(do they speak Thai?)

Make sure your wife takes a reasonably safe transport from Bangkok to Si Sa Ket (flight to Ubon and being picked up by the family).

Cut the Bangkok stay as short as possible.

I agree with khunBENQ, you wife will probably know Thailand a lot better than you – and I agree with recommendations for transportation, just make sure your wife has funds enough for choosing safe transport.

1 hour ago, rijb said:

Did you miss part about them living in the US since 2010?  No mention "of being arrested, incarcerated, or just shot by police"...  Duh!

And most people living in or visiting Thailand are not involved in traffic accidents or otherwise victims of any dangerous situation.

Just today members of Congress have been shot in Washington DC and some shoddily constructed residential building in West London went up in flames in a matter of a few minutes. Danger exists everywhere, but whether Thailand, the US or UK, the majority of people are not affected.  Duh.

Edited by Suradit69

I think your wife knows how to get around Thailand was her home for a long time. Make sure they are all covered by accident or health insurance and read the fine print. Some travel insurance will not pay for injuries on a motorbike unless wearing a helmut or having an International Driving Permit (You can get one at AAA)

Health insurance nescessary as could come down with dengue fever or even bacteria problems from bad water , Make  sure they have coverage that covers overseas.

make smart choices like not ride a motorbike or motorcycle taxi. Get her to use Uber / Grabtaxi when in Bangkok. Don't jay walk .... Bangkok is pretty safe if you just take small precautions. If you are in the country side, then yes pray to buddha for some protection.

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

make smart choices like not ride a motorbike or motorcycle taxi. Get her to use Uber / Grabtaxi when in Bangkok. Don't jay walk .... Bangkok is pretty safe if you just take small precautions. If you are in the country side, then yes pray to buddha for some protection.

Buddha has a hearingproblem.