Soldiers and police heroes pull minivan driver from burning wreckage

webfact

Soldiers and police heroes pull minivan driver from burning wreckage

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SATTAHIP: -- A group of soldiers and police friends saved a driver's life when they pulled him from the burning wreckage of his minivan that had hit a tree and burst into flames.

Huay Yai cops, medics and firemen who arrived on the scene on Route 331 Sattahip - Ratchasima Road in Bang Lamung district found the van completely ablaze.

The fire was soon extinguished but the driver Suthat Janthong, 34, had already been saved and taken to hospital.

Suphak Wongjan, an airman, said that he and some other soldiers and police friends had been passing and saw the fire starting to take hold. They rushed over and pulled the injured driver from his seat.

Within seconds the fire had engulfed the vehicle. Suphak said the driver would have been burned alive without their intervention.

Police said that the Bangkok registered van was on its way to Rayong.

They don't know at this stage why the van left the road and hit the tree but both drunkenness and falling asleep at the wheel are possibilities, reported Daily News.

There were no reports of other vehicles being involved.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-08

Fair play to Suphak and the others who pulled the driver out. He is very lucky to be alive. Risking your self to pull someone from a burning vehicle takes courage and decisive action. Too many times after accidents you see people standing around doing nothing. I hope he gets recognition for his bravery.

Saving the life of one of those nutcase minivan drivers is a bit of a mixed blessing. Thankfully, Somchai didn't have anyone else in the van when he left the road, as per usual MO.

Shackling these drivers into their vehicles (projectiles), like the old Galley war ships might actually encourage a more responsible attitude to road safety, other road users, and dare I say it, their "customers" -gritting their teeth as their van undertakes and swerves all over the road.

Hoping Somchai finds his way into another profession after his lucky escape.

"They don't know at this stage why the van left the road and hit the tree"

The driver cleared up any misunderstanding: "The tree wouldn't move out of the way, and when I braked, the brakes failed too. Thank you to my army friends"

On 8.6.2560 at 3:00 PM, hobobo said:

"They don't know at this stage why the van left the road and hit the tree"

The driver cleared up any misunderstanding: "The tree wouldn't move out of the way, and when I braked, the brakes failed too. Thank you to my army friends"

Did the tree hit the minivan or the minivan the tree ?

Sounds like it has nothing to do with the Thai art of driving.

Oh, those trees...