Military 3 Bangkok Taxi Mafia 0 - army dupes drivers in classic sting!

rooster59

Military 3 Bangkok Taxi Mafia 0 - army dupes drivers in classic sting!

taxi.PNG

Image: Daily News

A cunning military sting resulted in the arrest of three Bangkok taxi drivers who had been extorting money from the public and overcharging.

When they realized they had been conned by the army their faces dropped and paled in disbelief.

The army had heard complaints about the drivers who parked in an area near a bridge in Thanyaburi of Pathum Thani north of the capital.

They had been ripping off the public, making threats and overcharging. So army commander Surachai Jai-eua set up a sting to entrap them.

Surachai sent in three of his men who pretended to be vulnerable foreign migrant workers. They got in a cab driven by  39 year old Khajorn "Pui" Bunsoongnern.

The soldiers asked to be taken to Klong 4 market but instead of driving off the driver took the bait immediately and turned round to ask:

"Do you have your paperwork in order to be working in Thailand?"

The crafty soldiers went along with the ruse saying that in fact they did not have their documents in order.

The driver then demanded 1,500 baht from each of them and locked all the doors of the cab to stop them getting out.

The men said they could only pay 1,000 and the driver asked to speak to their boss who employed them.

They gave the number of commander Surachai who played his role as well as the extortion sum was settled at 1,000 baht person.

As this was going on two other taxi drivers, who were in on the extortion racket and making threats, were also surrounding the vehicle.

At this point Surachai and other soldiers and land transport officials moved in to detain the three drivers.

Commander Surchai said: "Their faces paled when we moved in and they realized they had been conned. They could hardly believe it".

Arrested were Pui and his mates Tawatchai "Joe" Wonsanga, 37, and Sorasak "Erk" Phonphakha, 34.

Their three taxis were also taken away from them.

They all had their licenses removed by the land transport department and were handed over to the local police for prosecution.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-10

1 hour ago, inactiveposter said:

Waiting to find out the punishment. Will we ever hear?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

No brainer here.. a 1,000 bah fine, and don't do it again wiggling of the finger....

Now i got it!

For ripping off tourists at airports a max. fine of 2000 is about it plus 30 days no license to drive taxi at the airport.

For ripping off foreign labourers they loose the license on the spot and forever i assume.

These are real bad maffia practises and i wish them a long time in jail.

let all the army guys take Taxis in BKK one day in regular clothes.......

photos , taxi numbers etc of all the drivers who do not stop, not use meter etc

then all the taxis taken off the road for 30 days for "safety checks"

all the honest drivers can now make a decent living , as there or 2-3 times the taxis that are really needed on BKK roads.......

dream on ....I know

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

The taxi drivers were handed over to the RTP for prosecution:cheesy:

What a waste of time, 500 baht fine, now be good boys do not do again.

try to read:

They all had their licenses removed by the land transport department 

9 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

try to read:

They all had their licenses removed by the land transport department 

I can read, you did n ot read my post correctly.

The 500 baht comment was about the usual RTP fines for taxi drivers.

Maybe too early for you to understand sarcasm.

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

try to read:

Yer its a job well done--- we should give credit when they do something, that's such a lot of money for a transient worker.

Another place they have cleared up is the swampy Airport--it's amazing, I used to hate getting a taxi there with the argument about Meters---it's a thing of the past now with this new system.... Sorry a little bit off thread.......:coffee1:

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I can read, you did n ot read my post correctly.

The 500 baht comment was about the usual RTP fines for taxi drivers.

Maybe too early for you to understand sarcasm.

Not to early to understand sarcasm but I don't like it when people feel the need to moan when something good happens.

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Not the sort of work most military men are involved in, but hard to argue against the result.

I bet the cops love to see the army doing the job of the police  :smile:

I have heard, and of course have no idea if this might be true, there is no love lost between the RTP and the RTA.

So one might presume the police don't really like the army interfering into what is clearly their side of the fence.

On the other hand, maybe this cooperation is just the medicine needed.

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Not the sort of work most military men are involved in, but hard to argue against the result.

I bet the cops love to see the army doing the job of the police  :smile:

I guess the cops hate the army reducing their income  by the part that they use to get from the  taxi drivers