how to get to the Immigration Office/Promenada Mall by public transport?

neronimo

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

If Prom where on the route of one of the "special" non-red songthaews then the fare would be much less than 30 baht.  Sometimes I go to see expats admitted at Nakorn Ping hospital, just beyond Lanna golf course and can take the Mae Rim song thaew for 15 baht.  It picks up people near the Chang Puek bus station and Warorot market.

Yes and the Lampun songthaews with similar pricing go right by Big C, not far from Prom.  Of course they will stop anywhere you request.

But it is difficult to work it out if you want to call a songthaew a bus.:sick:

Edited by Dante99

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

If you want to go say Maya to Promenade, you alone, by tuk tuk then don't expect a 30Baht fare, totally unrealistic.

That's what I said, he won't charge 30 baht so there's no point in giving him a call.

We might as well call a red bus or taxi.

We are looking for cheaper options.

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

If Prom were on the route of one of the "special" non-red songthaews then the fare would be much less than 30 baht.  Sometimes I go to see expats admitted at Nakorn Ping hospital, just beyond Lanna golf course and can take the Mae Rim song thaew for 15 baht.  It picks up people near the Chang Puek bus station and Warorot market.

Prom is not on any special 'non-red bus' route but Big C just around the corner seem to be.Just have to figure out which bus goes there. I think it is along Chiangmai-Lampang highway.

Paying 60 baht is much cheaper than paying 400 baht for a round trip.

Edited by EricTh

On 6/24/2017 at 1:48 PM, Bill97 said:
On 6/24/2017 at 0:32 PM, EricTh said:

[/quote)

Excellent, now we need to find the bus that is not shared among passengers and is painted like Further.

There doesn't exist any Thai mini-bus that is not shared.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:53 AM, Dante99 said:

But it is difficult to work it out if you want to call a songthaew a bus.:sick:

I have to correct you again.

That is not an English word so it is basically just a 'Thai mini-bus' by using only English words.

Moreover, Tuk-tuk is just a 'Thai mini-taxi'.

They were the most common transportation in Thailand before the western style buses and taxis came along, I supposed.

Thai-styled mini-buses and mini-taxis are much more understandable to foreigners who are new to Thailand and who don't know a word of Thai...

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, Bill97 said:

You want to live in a world of English words, leave Thailand, Thai words rule here.

Really?

Next time when you go to immigration to renew whatever visa you have, try to speak to them in 100% Thai words. Only then I will believe you!

At least I don't mix Thai words with my English when speaking to native English speakers.

When I speak to native Thai, I try not to mix in any English words even with my limited Thai but it's very difficult.

Edited by EricTh

Really?

Next time when you go to immigration to renew whatever visa you have, try to speak to them in 100% Thai words. Only then I will believe you!

Been doing that at Immigration for several decades, quite easy actually. Really!!!
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, EricTh said:

Prom is not on any special 'non-red bus' route but Big C just around the corner seem to be.Just have to figure out which bus goes there. I think it is along Chiangmai-Lampang highway.

Hmmmm. Big C is hardly just around the corner .

The only local bus along the superhighway that I know of is the one that goes to Lamphun. It departs from Arcade.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only local bus along the superhighway that I know of is the one that goes to Lamphun. It departs from Arcade.

May I know what color is the mini-bus and does it stop along the highway? 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps:

1. Take the red song taow along superhighway and alight at the big PTT station outside of the Big C complex.

2. Perhaps ask a red song taow driver if there are any red song taows that travel along the superhighway, turn left at the PTT station and stop right outside of the actual big C premises - 1 or 2 minutes walk into the complex. If there are ask for a number of route or whatever.

3. In any event, pretty much always there are 3, 4 or more red song taows parked near the doors of the Big C Complex, ask one of them to them to take you to Promenada. How much - I don't know?

Apply for a ten year MM2H visa and move to Malaysia.  Problem solved.  Never have to go to Promenada again.  Once you submit your initial raft of application  documents you don't have to deal with their Immigration again.  No 90 day reports, notification beyond what you do at the airport when you enter or leave the country, etc.  Discussions about "dealing with Immigration" are just not a part of what expats in Malaysia talk about when they get together.  What a novice concept!

Just now, NancyL said:

Apply for a ten year MM2H visa and move to Malaysia.  

I think most forummers here are Islamophobic judging from their past reactions in another thread.

I thought you have already moved to Malaysia, why are you still renewing your retirement visa, may I politely ask.

Edited by EricTh

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

3. In any event, pretty much always there are 3, 4 or more red song taows parked near the doors of the Big C Complex, ask one of them to them to take you to Promenada. How much - I don't know?

Switching red mini-buses is not an option. Once they see that you are a farang, they will charge more. A direct route (with a short walk) is always cheaper.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think most forummers here are Islamophobic judging from their past reactions in another thread.

I thought you have already moved to Malaysia, why are you still renewing your retirement visa, may I politely ask.

Nope, haven't moved yet.  Still have some commitments keeping us here.  Planning to apply for the visa next month.  

You know, not every state in Malaysia is majority Muslim.  

In my case Malaysia will not happen because of "MoneyPhobia".  In the MM2H (My Malaysia 2nd Home) program one has to deposit a large amount of money(at last check it was about $53,000 USD) and retirement income has to be direct deposited into a Malaysian Bank account(my retirement plan will not do this).  Otherwise I would  love to be in Penanag.

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

May I know what color is the mini-bus and does it stop along the highway? 

I said it's a "bus", not a "mini-bus".

If I remember correctly it's green and it stops and picks up on demand, so it should stop along the highway, as long as it is safe to do so.

Some years since I used it so not guaranteeing that it even exists anymore, but I would expect it does.

Given the hassle of getting to Arcade and the walk from the highway to Promenada, I think one would have to be fairly desperate to use that route. Catching it back to Arcade would probably not be possible either, as one has to cross the superhighway, and I don't know if there is a pedestrian over pass near there.

Bottom line- public transport in C M anywhere outside the city center is pretty rubbish.

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

In my case Malaysia will not happen because of "MoneyPhobia".  In the MM2H (My Malaysia 2nd Home) program one has to deposit a large amount of money(at last check it was about $53,000 USD) and retirement income has to be direct deposited into a Malaysian Bank account(my retirement plan will not do this).  Otherwise I would  love to be in Penanag.

Malaysia is not as popular a choice ( IMO ) as Thailand for a reason. I've been to Penang and I couldn't wait to get out of the place. I was going for 3 days and I left 2 days early. Hated it.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I said it's a "bus", not a "mini-bus".

If I remember correctly it's green and it stops and picks up on demand, so it should stop along the highway, as long as it is safe to do so.

There is another option which is the Chang Puek bus station for those who live nearer there.

There is another option which is the Chang Puek bus station for those who live nearer there.

Right if you want to go North. Last time I was there they did not have service going South. Do you know for a fact that they do now ?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Bottom line- public transport in C M anywhere outside the city center is pretty rubbish.

The Thai government wanted to build a public light rail network in Chiang Mai similar to Bangkok BTS but it was met with opposition from the 'red mini-buses' and the taxis gang. Obviously, this group is making good money.

Why is it that all the taxis in Chiang Mai don't want to use the meters when they are supposed to use the meter by law?

Just now, Bill97 said:

Right if you want to go North. Last time I was there they did not have service going South. Do you know for a fact that they do now ?

The last time I was there, I did see a mini-van with the word 'Chiang Mai-Lamphun'. It's not a bus but a mini-van with air-conditioner.

I'll double check with the drivers  the next time I am there.

Edited by EricTh

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The Thai government wanted to build a public light rail network in Chiang Mai similar to Bangkok BTS but it was met with opposition from the 'red mini-buses' and the taxis gang. Obviously, this group is making good money.

Why is it that all the taxis in Chiang Mai don't want to use the meters when they are supposed to use the meter by law?

For the same reason taxi meters in Pattaya won't use the meter.

Sometimes it's very hard to "love" Thailand.

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The last time I was there, I did see a mini-van with the word 'Chiang Mai-Lamphun'. It's not a bus but a mini-van with air-conditioner.

I'll double check with the drivers  the next time I am there.

If that is a purple mini-van to Lamphun it probably goes on the old road which is far away from Promenada.

There is a purple AC mini-bus that goes from Wanarot market, but as said it goes along the old road.

2 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

What states are not and what is the majority in them? Just a couple of examples would be appreciated.

I'm not going to look up the stats, but I would expect some areas to have a high Asian ( Chinese/ Indian ) population relative to others, but majority? I would doubt that.

I'm not going to look up the stats, but I would expect some areas to have a high Asian ( Chinese/ Indian ) population relative to others, but majority? I would doubt that.

I tried to find stats but only found ethnic breakdown which showed only two states were not majority ethnic Malay, KL and Penang, I think it was. Sure some ethnic Malay may not be Muslim but probably not too many.

Let's see what Nancy comes up with.

On 6/29/2017 at 5:01 PM, EricTh said:

That is not an English word so it is basically just a 'Thai mini-bus' by using only English words.

Song is Thai for two

Thaew* is Thai for row.

Songthaew is a transportation vehicle with 2 rows of seats in the back compartment.  In addition, there are the very different (from songthaews and from each other) minibuses and minivans.

*Many variations on spelling.

Would suggest you use Uber or Grab, ask driver to wait while you pop your head into immigration and assess how long you'll be, go back and tell the driver who may choose to wait or give his/her phone number. For the driver's safety, as mentioned above, sit in the front seat as though you are a friend not a customer.  There is a distinct threat of physical harm to them from the local taxi/tuktuk mafia.