Thailand has a plan to attract millions of Indian travelers: Bollywood stars

snoop1130

Thailand has a plan to attract millions of Indian travelers: Bollywood stars

By Coconuts Bangkok

qwertyhgv.JPG

“Happy New Year,” a 2014 Bollywood drama, set a record by collecting around US$7.3 million in the first day of screening.

Thailand is getting serious about increasing the number of Indian travelers in the country, and it plans do so by using Bollywood stars.  

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said on Sunday that the ministry is preparing to hire Bollywood stars to promote tourist attractions in Thailand and draw high-spending tourists from Southern India.

With AirAsia recently launching a new route between Tiruchirappalli and Bangkok, there are more than 20,000 new plane seats available per week to brings travelers from Southern India to Thailand, Daily News reported.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thailand-plan-attract-millions-indian-travelers-bollywood-stars/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-8-7

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"According to a wage report issued in 2012 by the United Nations' International Labour Organization (ILO), India ranked 69 out of 72 countries listed, with the average monthly wage equivalent to $295 U.S. dollars or just over 18,117 rupees. The countries with lower wages than India include the Philippines, Pakistan and Tajikistan"

currently you get 0.52 baht for 1 rupee......that wage is then 9,000 baht a month ....remind you of any where ? about what I see 7/11 employees getting.....I don't see them rushing off to buy flights to Kerala for 2 weeks ?

24 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

With AirAsia recently launching a new route between Tiruchirappalli and Bangkok, there are more than 20,000 new plane seats available per week to brings travelers from Southern India to Thailand, Daily News reported.

They're going to feel at home in the urine puddles at Don Muang immigration.

12 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Sales of drinking straws will escalate !

The TAT stupid ideas just keep on flowing. Now we have an Indian Bollywood Hub.

I am sure the Indians will be delighted to spend 4 hours queuing at immigration after they stagger exhausted off the plane from Kolkata and busting for a pee. 

The only reason the TAT lady has a job is because she is related. A nepotic appointment by the big enchilada.

Those millions of Indian travelers will spend fortune here... like thousands of dollars (combined)

After the obligatory half day to pass immigration at the airport

Meanwhile the stupiditos from farangland (where money drop from the sky) spending thousands of dollars per week each will find other places

Always very funny to see foreigners in a country ranting at other foreigners!!...perhaps it gives a erroneous feeling of better integration?....

Just remember for the locals, all farangs are in put in the same bucket!...the walking ATM bucket that is!!

Edited by observer90210

16 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Always very funny to see foreigners in a country ranting at other foreigners!!...perhaps it gives a erroneous feeling of better integration?....

Just remember for the locals, all farangs are in put in the same bucket!

First - nope, the locals make huge differences between let's say Indian and Australian

Hell, they even make huge differences between Isaan Thai and Bangkok Thai

From Stickman

"The low season is generally considered to be from the end of Songkran until November with a spike in July and August as Europeans descend on Thailand for their summer holidays.  Word is there has not been much of a spike from European visitors this year so it could be a quiet run in the bars from now through September"

"From two Bangkok bar bosses comes comment this week that the number of Japanese visiting the gogo bar areas has been in decline for a while.  Those bars the Japanese are known to frequent just aren’t seeing the numbers they used to.  Whether this is due to the Japanese losing interest for the same reasons as farangs (higher prices for drinks and barfines, poor attitudes, more girls who cannot be barfined), or whether there is another reason, I have no idea."

Obviously only minority is interested in the red light district life, but the fact is that the people with money understand what they should get for their money.

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The TAT stupid ideas just keep on flowing. Now we have an Indian Bollywood Hub.

I am sure the Indians will be delighted to spend 4 hours queuing at immigration after they stagger exhausted off the plane from Kolkata and busting for a pee. 

The only reason the TAT lady has a job is because she is related. A nepotic appointment by the big enchilada.

The MOT lady has been at this game a long time.

http://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/destination-of-the-week/thailand-to-focus-on-sport-wedding-and-wellness-to-attract-indian-tourists/

"Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said on Sunday that the ministry is preparing to hire Bollywood stars to promote tourist attractions in Thailand and draw high-spending tourists from Southern India."

Thailand the hub of crass statements

While on average the income is low, India has a huge income disparity. With over 1.2bn people in the country there is quite a potential of high spending travelors from there coming to Thailand. I have met quite a few Indians through business and found them to be very friendly, open minded and well mannered. From our talks they seem to enjoy a very different kind of travel when in Thailand or elsewhere - compared to say Chinese tour groups.  Nice restaurants, hotels, culture, sport activites, buying expensive souveniers etc. It's sure not the average Indian citizen - but they still have the potential numbers to impact Thai tourism.

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Just remember for the locals, all farangs are in put in the same bucket!...the walking ATM bucket that is!!

Just to point out that 'farangs' is generally agreed to mean 'Westerners', there are plenty of foreigners who aren't called farangs, and IME many Thais have a different term for South-Asian peoples, which I won't repeat here as I consider it to be racist.

The arrival of mass-tourism from the sub-continent is nothing new, I used to fly to the UK on Jet-Airways via BOM/DEL a few years back, and the flights from/to BKK were packed with happy holidaying Indians, the atmosphere reminded me of charter-flights to Spain in the 70s/80s, all very good-humoured. And I also recall their evident delight, discovering relatively-clean sea-water & beaches, as groups of Indians descended from their chartered speedboats onto Tawaen Beach on Koh Larn.  Happy holidaymakers ! :smile:

So in this case the TAT is getting in-front of a parade which left long ago, to claim the credit for a trend which is already underway, I only hope the Thai tourist-industry is ready for it ?  And that AAT will be talking to Immigration, about how to avoid scenes like those recently seen at Don Muang, that's not the way to encourage tourism to continue to grow ! :wink:

TAT making another mistake.  Going after mass tourism rather than quality tourists....who spend more money.  Another way to ruin the environment and historical sights here in Thailand.  Mass tourism isn't the way to go.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

TAT making another mistake.  Going after mass tourism rather than quality tourists....who spend more money.  Another way to ruin the environment and historical sights here in Thailand.  Mass tourism isn't the way to go.

What manner of quality tourism does Thailand offer after a gander at the current state of affairs?

They are blessed with cheap mass market tourist to keep their nose above the muck in the cess pool.

42 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Can anyone imagine thousands of Indians waiting 4+ hours at Donmeuang....at 2am.!!...

They will be laying all over the floors.

Once in Changi airport singapore there were also loads of indians all over the floors. When the security saw that all of them had to stand up..

Great. Another "Visa on Arrival" country. Maybe they should just make China and India "Visa Exempt", and stamp them in for 15 days?

For advertising, I'd suggest the arriving immigration hall at DMK break out into a massive bollywood dance number.

Great. Another "Visa on Arrival" country. Maybe they should just make China and India "Visa Exempt", and stamp them in for 15 days?

For advertising, I'd suggest the arriving immigration hall at DMK break out into a massive bollywood dance number.

It would make sense if they're serious about attracting more Indian tourists. Presumably they'd then get 30 days.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Well said. It gives them a (false) sense of superiority - something they could never feel back in Falagistan. 

These tourists, Indian and Chinese, may not spend thousands of Baht a night in soapy bars, beer bars, brothels, etc. but they do help to keep hotel occupancy up; restaurants full; bus and taxi companies on the roads; etc. This in turn keeps a lot of staff in employment. 

They, too, are just as entitled to a holiday abroad. 

Edited by djayz

10 hours ago, JohnLick said:

Those millions of Indian travelers will spend fortune here... like thousands of dollars (combined)

After the obligatory half day to pass immigration at the airport

Meanwhile the stupiditos from farangland (where money drop from the sky) spending thousands of dollars per week each will find other places

Don't forget the begpackers population is increased in Thailand. An average Indian family spending anywhere between 3000-5000 USD in 3-5 days trip to Thailand.

8 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Don't forget the begpackers population is increased in Thailand. An average Indian family spending anywhere between 3000-5000 USD in 3-5 days trip to Thailand.

Their penchant for flat panel televisions would account to most of their spending if the trend is still prevalent.

Good times ahead for retailers. 

Edited by BasalBanality