Two killed as oil tanker overturns and explodes

rooster59

Two killed as oil tanker overturns and explodes

By The Sunday Nation

387dc2390c35a8a23ef08359e5c713be.jpeg

A driver and his helper were killed when their oil tanker burst into flames after it overturned on a road in Rayong yesterday morning.

Police said the accident happened on the Ban Bueng-Klaeng road in Moo 2 village in Tambon Payubnai in Rayong’s Wan Chang district. Witnessed told police that the oil tanker crashed into a motorcycle after one its tyres burst and it overturned. They saw the driver and his helper trying to climb out but the tanker burst into flames before they could escape. Police are yet to identify the two victims.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30323644

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-13

Petrol or other inflammable liquid tankers rarely catch fire after collisions in the U.K. or US. 

Are construction/safety standards for Thai tankers different to other countries?

i appreciate maintenance/overloading  is neglected which may explain the burst tyre, but the intrinsic safety of the fuel container should be ensured.

2 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I was expecting  to read a story about a ship. You know an oil Tanker?

, not a truck that was carrying oil.  Sorry I forgot I was reading a Thai news

story

Geezer

Well if it was unrefined oil than it is unlikely it would have caught fire anyway.  Maybe they mean a petroleum product tanker

Reminds me of 24th Sept 1990 a day that still haunts me when 500m from where I was standing an LPG tanker exploded in which 90 souls perished. One woman known to me lives to this day, shielded by her father who protected her using his body as a shield from the radiant heat. Sadly he did not make it. RiP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Bangkok_gas_explosion

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Petrol or other inflammable liquid tankers rarely catch fire after collisions in the U.K. or US. 

Are construction/safety standards for Thai tankers different to other countries?

i appreciate maintenance/overloading  is neglected which may explain the burst tyre, but the intrinsic safety of the fuel container should be ensured.

About 6 years ago, one was involved with a collision with a vehicle on the Laem Chabang Bypass. Same result. Fireball and the tanker was completely burnt out. You could seee the flames and smoke from a long way away.

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

The vast majority of Tank Trucks in Thailand have no equipment installed to prevent a massive fuel leak if the Truck rolls over, they are simply 20 - 30,000 liter capacity tanks bolted onto a truck chassis (with maybe several separate Compartments each containing 4 - 5,000 liters of mixed Product - Diesel, various grades of Petroleum etc.). Usually they have locally made hatch covers which simply pop open under the stress of a crash or rollover.

Patrick

The vast majority of Tank Trucks in Thailand have no equipment installed to prevent a massive fuel leak if the Truck rolls over, they are simply 20 - 30,000 liter capacity tanks bolted onto a truck chassis (with maybe several separate Compartments each containing 4 - 5,000 liters of mixed Product - Diesel, various grades of Petroleum etc.). Usually they have locally made hatch covers which simply pop open under the stress of a crash or rollover.

Patrick

You mean the minority surely, they are fine, sure some around villages can be iffy,but PTT ,Shell etc are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, Ace of Pop said:

You mean the minority surely, they are fine, sure some around villages can be iffy,but PTT ,Shell etc are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No I mean the majority.

Yes, Companies like Shell and PTT have some properly equipped Trucks of their own but not many - they use local Transport Companies extensively - these are the Trucks that are ill-equipped in the case of an accident.

Certainly there are some Transport Contractors who have properly equipped Trucks too, but again, not many.

In addition many Retail Petrol stations are individually owned and the owner often has his own locally assembled Truck to collect Product from the nearest Terminal as and when he runs low on Stock, buying or retro-fitting a Bottom Loading Truck is expensive so they try to avoid the expense.

Finally most Loading Terminals outside Bangkok and the 5 surrounding Provinces are still Top Loading Product, not Bottom Loading and you cannot realistically install the required Safety Equipment on a Top Loading Truck, nor can a Bottom Loading Truck be Loaded at most Terminals outside Bangkok and the 5 Provinces simply because the Terminal itself is not equipped to Bottom Load Trucks.

Patrick

Oil tanker!  In Thailand, that could mean anything.  If it was carrying a flammable liquid like petrol, I suspect the fumes were ignited by the driver's/helper's cigarette.  H&S only applies to "me, me, me" here.

However, RiP to the two guys; a horrible way to go.

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

IMG_1879.PNG.51df29c9d78e23a0c6374469fbb0fe47.PNG

maybe you are are trying to subotage the discussion!!??

3 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Mistky they are doubke skinned but maybe not here in Thailand. Maybe someone can throw some light on this

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

after one its tyres burst

this happens quite often in this kingdom. Because of rough roads?, High temperatures? Bad quality?

Probably not but because there is no profile to be seen on the tyres since many years already. And who cares ? Mr. Nobody!:sick:

2 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Mistky they are doubke skinned but maybe not here in Thailand. Maybe someone can throw some light on this

VERY few Diesel / Petroleum Tank Trucks worldwide are "double skinned" - it's simply too expensive to 1) Construct such a Tank and 2) Bear the fuel expense of carrying such extra weight in the Truck when the Truck Owner /Operator is trying to reduce Costs and increase profit.

Overall it's cheaper and far more effective to install proper Safety Equipment on a standard, single wall Bottom Loading Tank Truck.

That said you will commonly find "double skinned" Tanks used in Europe and the U.S. in Underground Storage situations (for example in Service Station installations etc.). With properly installed equipment these will provide a defence / warning about developing leaks from / into the underground tank to prevent pollution, product or soil contamination etc..

However sadly these are not yet at all common in Thailand!

Patrick

15 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

story

Geezer

Bad headline. Tank truck or something, but "Tanker' is a ship, however capsized would be for a ship not overturned.

Tyre burst should not cause an overturn without any other factors.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

On 8/13/2017 at 10:46 AM, Classic Ray said:

A partially full tanker is more dangerous than one fully loaded as fumes are what usually ignites. I recall a tanker caught fire under an overpass in California the overpass was shut down until it was re built due to damage from the heat. 

If highway vehicles are subjected to same safety standards as bangkok city busses it is surprising there are not more such mishaps. Every day it seems I see busses with chunks of rubber missing from tires on busses.