"Sack the lot of them!" - Angry Thais online slam Pattaya council over dolphin roundabout plans and delays

webfact

"Sack the lot of them!" - Angry Thais online slam Pattaya council over dolphin roundabout plans and delays

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

PATTAYA: -- Thais took to Facebook to have a go at the Pattaya authorities as yet another meeting was held at an expensive hotel to discuss the issue of the dolphin roundabout.

Some asked what they were doing meeting in a hotel - don't they have meeting rooms at city hall?

It just seemed like another excuse to talk and have an expensive junket.

Others called for the entire council to be sacked.

While many called for the plan to take out the controversial roundabout to be scrapped.

An online petition calling for that has garnered many hundreds of signatures while the authorities say that it is necessary to improve traffic flow.

The roundabout was built in 1995 but now traffic lights are on the agenda at a cost of 6.9 million baht.

Now, despite the fact that the authority said that the plans would go ahead despite public opposition there was a meeting of public and business leaders at the Sabai Resort to go over the plans again and discuss the matter once more .

In response to a Sophon Cable report about the meeting Thais online voiced their disapproval:

Somboon Sitsingchai said in frustration at the latest discussions: "Sack the whole lot of them".

Uthai Na Na Klua commented: "Don't you have any meeting rooms? Why do you have to meet in a hotel?"

Other said: We don't want more red lights - give us back our roundabout.

Arphon Sirithatthamrong said: "Just because we have department stores now doesn't mean our dolphins have to move out".

While Sompong suggested a plan that even the council are unlikely to consider: "Leave the roundabout but put in lights too...".

While MamMam was cross about the lack of consultation: "Why don't they ask the people what they want", she said.

A spokesman last week said that was not on the agenda.

Which begged the question as to why they still felt it necessary to meet on Tuesday to talk about the plans.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-16

roundabouts would improve some of the traffic congestion in Pattaya, the people making these decisions really have no clue, what qualifications or expertise do they possess that enables them to come to these conclusions, I can only conclude one thing (as already suggested by another TVF member) money, these constant hair brained projects are dreamed up so that there is a budget for something and we all know what happens then.   

How many times do you find yourself sitting at a red light and there is no traffic coming from the green light side

16 minutes ago, LennyW said:

I wonder how many of those "officials" involved in these meetings actually know how to use a roundabout......not many i suspect!!

Its not only the "officials" who don't know how to use a roundabout and therein lies the problem. I have nearly been wiped out a few times by morons there who don't understand you give way to your right, to traffic already on it. It doesn't need a meeting in an expensive hotel to work that out. I am pretty sure that the necessary signs and diagrams explaining the way to use it would cost a lot less than the proposed traffic lights, that will just make congestion worse. A good, cheap and sensible solution would of course remove the excuse for expensive junkets, so it probably wont happen.

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

I wonder how many of those "officials" involved in these meetings actually know how to use a roundabout......not many i suspect!!

Easy, for roundabouts in Thailand, give way to Big TOn Trucks, Crazy Buses, Mini-Buses, Trucks, Vans, Lorries, Rich his0 BMWs, Mercedes, Motorcycles, basically everyone if you value your life while driving here. 

Cheers. 

5 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

This is a roundabout isn't it? All this fuss over a roundabout really?

A roundabout you can drive around. In this you can't. Some stupid Thai construction.

Teach Thais to drive in a roundabout and open the closed lane. Then it will work. Roundabouts works very good everywhere except in Thailand.

Guess why!!

Was it there only from 1995.....??  My first thoughts were thats not right much earlier....??

Edited that is wrong.....I walked around the side of it walking up the hill towards Naklua the day after Ayrton Senna was killed and that was May 1994

Edited by Chivas

6 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

This is a roundabout isn't it? All this fuss over a roundabout really?

The problem is most Thais do not know how to use a roundabout. In most countries the traffic at roundabouts FLOW. Not in Thailand. It becomes a place for deadlock. I've never seen a roundabout with traffic lights. It, sorta, defeats the purpose. Maybe the problem is, in this case, is that it is not a true roundabout! Traffic coming from Naklua are not allowed to use the roundabout to turn right into Beach Rd. They are diverted another 1000 meters up the road before they can come back. Very progressive thinking by the Pattaya traffic authorities. 

Get the boys in brown to enforce the law, i.e. whoever is inside the roundabout has priority over whoever wants to enter. Do a proper roundabout - free of charge - and start writing juicy tickets. Good for the state's coffers at ZERO investment. 

But most likely someone inside the city hall has some traffic lights on offer, THB 6.9 million is not to be sneezed at - and if you see how all those lights work wonders on the dark side, along the entire railway roads or further up at the municipality administration - all traffic lights have one thing in common - they do NOT work!

Go figure 

9 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

The problem is most Thais do not know how to use a roundabout. In most countries the traffic at roundabouts FLOW. Not in Thailand. It becomes a place for deadlock. I've never seen a roundabout with traffic lights. It, sorta, defeats the purpose. Maybe the problem is, in this case, is that it is not a true roundabout! Traffic coming from Naklua are not allowed to use the roundabout to turn right into Beach Rd. They are diverted another 1000 meters up the road before they can come back. Very progressive thinking by the Pattaya traffic authorities. 

Roundabouts with traffic lights are very common in the UK. The lights are usually scheduled to handle the busy times, when roundabouts become less efficient.

The fact that Thai drivers and perhaps some visitors do not know how to use the roundabout is reason enough to get rid of it. People have been killed on it before. Sadly they aren't too great with traffic lights either.

The council are a 100% correct,.

Remove the roundabout immediately.

Thai drivers are not intelligent enough,   in road skills to effectively make any gains

in higher traffic flow from the use of a roundabout, they even make a traffic jams 

on the roundabouts.

Amazing Thailand.  :thumbsup: