SURVEY: Do you plan on staying in Thailand permanently?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you plan to remain in Thailand permanently?  

448 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A recurring theme in regards to 'permanent' plans seems to be the 'don't invest what you can't afford to lose' conundrum. I intend on staying as permanently as permitted but I have zero intention of purchasing property or investing any sum of money in Thailand. There are far better ways to make your money work for you and if you have a decent sum accumulated your investments will more than cover rent/bills etc. In my mind this, and the fact that rentals are so ridiculously cheap, would keep me from ever outplaying capital on which I wouldn't see a return.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now hit up all the SEA countries.  I think Thailand, although has a few pitfalls, is much better then the other options.

The guys I have known who are going back home or going to God forbid Cambodia to live, unfortunately have money issues.

I am lucky I do not.

Thailand forever!!

Edited by bkk6060

1 hour ago, gios50hk said:

Oh I forgot to mention....moronic idiots

right you are! 11 years of Thaivisa has given me an insight how many moronic Farangs exist in this country who made decisions based on wrong assumptions or their very own plain stupid thinking, getting burnt in many ways and then air their self-inflicted frustration by accusing the (alleged) xenophonic Thais having caused their misery and spreading with ridiculous outbursts doom and gloom prophecies. yawnnnnn...:coffee1: 

12 minutes ago, swissbie said:

Yeah, ok, I'm somewhat confused about the "age related problems are best resolved back home". Fairly good doctors and hospitals here, age related problems like rheumatism or arthritis are much easier dealt with in warm/hot climate - and, besides, I couldn't afford a decent health insurance in my home country anymore (and no, i'm well funded here, no financal problems..).

Sure, I see where the confusion lays, 

As I said everyone's situation is different, some are well funded, others have a solid family support here, some both. For those who do not have both it is wise to make provisions, and for those who have both it is important to consider the possibility  that both could change.

When I say support systems, I don't only  mean  medical. Old age presents many challenges.

Medical , mobility, mental faculties,  etc etc., In addition here in Thailand we have residence and communications challenges, .

Back home, there are systems that might not be available to as in thailand to deal with many of the above challenges. 

In Thailand privately purchased medical insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions and it might become prohibitively expensive or not available at an old age. 

Back home in the US after age 65 madicare covers most medical need. I am sure other countries have similar programs for their citizens.

Back home we don't have a communications challenge,  there are many senior citizens  assistance programs, and we do not face residency challenges.

Because of the above reasons , I am of the opinion that one needs to maintain the return option open.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

right you are! 11 years of Thaivisa has given me an insight how many moronic Farangs exist in this country who made decisions based on wrong assumptions or their very own plain stupid thinking, getting burnt in many ways and then air their self-inflicted frustration by accusing the (alleged) xenophonic Thais having caused their misery and spreading with ridiculous outbursts doom and gloom prophecies. yawnnnnn...:coffee1: 

Seems like pretty much a worldwide issue, not just here.

Some sense of superiority I guess to be negative in silly minds when in truth it is sad insecurities and like you said, poor decisions.

First visited Thailand late '60s. Worked here in the 80's for 5 years before transferring to Taiwan. Retired late 90's and returned to Thailand with my Thai wife, to whom I have been happily married for nearly 30 years. We have lived here ever since splitting our time between our homes in Bangkok and Rayong. No intention of living anywhere else, least of all my country of birth, England, which unsurprisingly I cannot identify with anymore. 

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Not belittling, just being realistic. You are under 50 so you won`t be eligible for a retirement visa, your only options is to either marry your Thai girlfriend and get a married to a Thai spouse visa or as a director of a company or an employee under the Thai rules for foreigners working in Thailand.

And what happens if the relationship with your girlfriend does not work out and she won`t marry you, how do you intend to stay in Thailand? What type of work does she expect to obtain in Thailand? There are millions of Thai women in Thailand who have university degrees and can`t find decent paying jobs. Can you guarantee your passive income every month for the next 40 years?  How much do you think the cost of living will be in Thailand in the next 20 years?

Not being sarcastic or flaming, it`s as I said; what can go wrong and I`ve heard all this before? Good luck.

I'm open to your thoughts, just not the way they were presented. But now we're on the same page so here's my plan  (and it is just a plan not set in stone)

I will be 41 by the time I relocate. I plan on initially arriving on an METV which I can extend to 9 months if done correctly. That will get me to 42+. After this I will apply for a ED visa to study Thai language (genuine student) which from all information I've gotten I can extend 3 times for 3 years total. This gets me to 45.

On completion of the ED I'll then pay for a 5 year Thai Elite Visa which will get me through to 50 when I will qualify for an extension based on retirement. 

If any of the legislation changes, I'm denied an ED for any reason I'll just got with the Elite a Visa as required.

My future with my girlfriend is inconsequential to my plans whether it works or not. I'm self sufficient either way.

She is completing her Masters Degree in Business/Finance here in Melbourne so I feel that she won't be one of millions as you say. She is fluent in English and obviously Thai and she is extremely ambitious (something that seems to be lacking in young Thais.) This may be considered a biased opinion and I can accept that.

She has close friends in recruiting in BKK and they're of the belief she'll get a decent start when it comes to work on her return. 

My passive income. Well nothing is guaranteed, especially when it comes to the share market. I have a very diversified portfolio with a mix of Australian & International shares (not all blue chip), tactical income funds, speculative resources and property. I've concentrated on neither dividend paying nor capital growth securities but a mixture of the two.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have a cash component of which I could comfortably live off for the best part of two decades at the figure stated. This more than gives me the breathing room to pull back from the market, reinvest or wait it out should there be another downturn similar to recent times (and we are overdue for one!)

While the cost of living is forever climbing I have a monthly budget in mind based on time I have spent in country (I've rented a condo previously, spent time in tourist centres, cities and in the sticks) and that budget is nowhere near the 100K฿ that I have allowed for. I have a car and motorcycle purchase covered.

I'm not a spendthrift in everyday life and I have a very close relationship with my money so I don't spend anything without a budget and planning. Even the crazy amounts of cash I've burnt through in Pattaya at times have all been previously allowed for.

I'm not foolish enough to not believe the arse can fall out of the market or things can change in a heart beat but I  have contingencies in place and I'm not sailing close to the wind in the first instance.

Feel free to poke some holes or bring up anything else CF, the best way to learn or improve on things is open yourself to cristcim, constructive or otherwise, from someone that is impartial.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems like pretty much a worldwide issue, not just here.

Some sense of superiority I guess to be negative in silly minds when in truth it is sad insecurities and like you said, poor decisions.

and the desperate attempt to scare others with ridiculous gloom&doom forecasts, e.g. "the shit will hit the fan anytime from now!"

1 hour ago, amvet said:

It appears that the great silent majority of Thai Visa have bet on it as the 72% stay above seems to indicate.  Wow 72% higher that I would have guessed reading all of the carping about Thailand here.  Nice to see, for the most part people are pleased enough to stay even with all the little problems. 

You hit the nail on the head with great silent majority. I would add they are the hugely happy majority that unlike the noisome 30%, they don't feel the need to post about how their innate weaknesses, insecurities, social inadequacies, narrow-mindedness and bigotry sets them at odds daily with the locals, their lifestyle, culture and politics .

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Why not plan on being in Thailand and your home country in the future? Maybe 50/50 or some other percentage. Seems it would be a  popular option for  many posters. 

To be quite honest, I cannot afford to live in the US, in retirement, at least not as comfortable as living here currently. I'll not go on as it does not take much picking at the scab after 41 years as an educator. Poor choice, financially to decide to teach in a Southeastern state, known for lack of support for education.

3 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

You must know my family in England. Seriously I know what you mean and totally agree with you 

I have that same issue.  Friends and family don't seem to grasp that it's significantly cheaper for them to come to Thailand than it is for me to go back the other way.  So basically, I just drop friends and family.  I've returned once - now, quid pro quo.  But in 9 years - not one person has.  
So much for familial and bonds of friendship.  You find out what 'true friends' and 'true family' really are!  

Keep in mind that over time people change their minds, or life events such as health or immigration difficulties, changes their minds for them.

I moved over here with a high level feeling that I wanted it to be for life.

Now, I would prefer to repatriate but after such a long time, it's going to be difficult so I'm not sure I ever will.

So I guess my "plan" is repatriate, but my reality has a good chance of being different.

My point being a poll like this can't really reflect personal complexities. 

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

i can't think of any case without the option to return. all what is needed is the money for the flight.

Way, way back when I was running wild with a similar bunch of oilfield trash, weekend warrior, two-week millionaire sorts living way beyond our means every two months in what was truly a hedonists paradise on earth, the standard 'last resort' escape plan was always going to be funded with the 5 baht gold chain.

"Thai gold... It isn't just for your girlfriend anymore."

9 minutes ago, Naam said:

i can't think of any case without the option to return. all what is needed is the money for the flight.

I would respectfully disagree.

many that have burned bridges and or have liquidated assets to fund their Thai escape, once exiting the plane might find themselves priced out of the housing market, not having any friends, and no credit, all not desirable situations IMO. 

Having been outside the UK for around half my working life I doubt I could fit in now.

Infinitely happy here, settled with a lovely (age appropriate) lady, local grandkids (Wifey's from previous marriage, no kids of our own), decent job.

Sadly got stuffed by the LM Fund or I would have retired by now, such is life.

Another pessimist that can't believe someone else has the ability to do something they can't.

I 100% guarantee I have enough assets and liquid cash to last me a lifetime in Thailand. I haven't had to work for 3 years now living in Australia and I could quite easily afford to continue my life here in the same fashion. I have a passive income of 100K฿ Per month now, enough cash to live on that budget for 20+ years and this is without including the sale of my inner city Melbourne home.
Obviously health insurance and any unexpected costs will be no issue. 

I have a university educated thai girlfriend already here in Australia who will be working on our return so that'll lesson the budget pressure, if you could call it that, even further. Do I need to go further?

In future maybe make a polite enquiry of someone rather than trying to belittle them straight off the bat?

Not to sound like a pessimist but ฿100k a month isn't exactly THAT much. Many, if not most farangs in Thailand, including myself have more than 100k and I can easily tell you with the future-expenses you have ahead of you you will soon begin to wish you had a little more.

- House/Condo
- Interior/exterior - Furniture, kitchenware, garden etc
- Car and/or motorbike
- Food, gasoline, alcohol?, cigarettes?, beauty- and toilet products and cleaning products +++
- Pets?
- Insurances
- Taxes
- Bills- Electricity, water, TV, Internet ++
- Money for you and your wife/girls
- Taking the family on holiday or out eating
- If you get kids then that will cost a lot too
- Currency variations - It can vary by ฿20k in just a couple of months. Its currently down by around 30% from just a couple of years ago (it was over 40%)
- ... and other unforeseen expenses such as medical bills, funerals, weddings, damages, corrupt officials, your wife's local traditional bs, something comes up with your business +++

It's a long list my friend. Sure, some of this may not apply to you, and your lady may be less expensive than others but even then you'll still wish you had more than 100K. I have plenty of friends here who also have more than 100k and I don't know of anyone of them who are not short on cash once in a while, including myself, hence why some of them even work in Thailand in addition to having 125k+ in pension (or business).

You're completely underestimating the cost of living in Thailand. Simple as that. Not to mention over decades of years. And its getting more and more expensive here every year. The 12th (or was it the 16th?) September taxes on a large variety of products will increase. Last year taxes for business owners doubled (?), as well as other things. Next year taxes will increase somewhere, and so it will continue every year as well as price increase on products and services. Land prices have increased with like 200-1000% in about a decade, depending where the land is located.

Not trying to scare you off here. Just being very realistic with you. You can absolutely live a comfortable life on 100k in Thailand, its really all up to you, but I'm just giving you a heads up on how it is for the vast majority of farangs being married to a Thai and living here. And finding a poor farmgirl isn't any cheaper, rather the opposite, as not just the girl will rely on your money, but her family will too, at leased there will be some additional expenses there.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You hit the nail on the head with great silent majority. I would add they are the hugely happy majority that unlike the noisome 30%, they don't feel the need to post about how their innate weaknesses, insecurities, social inadequacies, narrow-mindedness and bigotry sets them at odds daily with the locals, their lifestyle, culture and politics .

Could you kindly keep all my little foibles out of this conversation :cheesy:

6 minutes ago, HOAX said:

<snip> And its getting more and more expensive here every year. The 12th (or was it the 16th?) September taxes on a large variety of products will increase. <snip2>

According to the OP of another ThaiNews topic:

"These new tax brackets cover goods such as alcohol, cigarettes and playing cards."

Oh no!! 

Here since 2001 with many visits prior, returned to Oz for a couple of years for wife to study, become an Ozzie and returned with an extra mouth to feed. Current plan is now to return in about 4 years for son to attend high school and further study.  To be honest not really looking forward to it financially, but also not happy about ongoing schooling and his future in Thailand, so all in all the better option is to depart Thailand for a legitimate and sound reason. 

15 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

According to the OP of another ThaiNews topic:

"These new tax brackets cover goods such as alcohol, cigarettes and playing cards."

Oh no!! 

The playing cards will be the big killer - what a bugger.... 

Thailand has been very good to me,been here for 30 years now,did a lot of travelling

when i was younger,and settled down here,actually i was on my way to Costa Rica,

the long way round,ended up in Chiang Mai and loved it,everything i wanted was here,

sure things have changed,some for the better,some not,like traffic and building everywhere,

Never been back to UK,don't think i could get my head around the changes there,and the

weather is mostly shit,bought my burial plot here,so will just stay ,rot away and be part

of Thailand, but not for a few more years I hope.

regards Worgeordie

56 minutes ago, connda said:

I have that same issue.  Friends and family don't seem to grasp that it's significantly cheaper for them to come to Thailand than it is for me to go back the other way.  So basically, I just drop friends and family.  I've returned once - now, quid pro quo.  But in 9 years - not one person has.  
So much for familial and bonds of friendship.  You find out what 'true friends' and 'true family' really are!  

I have been in Thailand for over 30 years and never had a member of my family come over to visit

51 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I would respectfully disagree.

many that have burned bridges and or have liquidated assets to fund their Thai escape, once exiting the plane might find themselves priced out of the housing market, not having any friends, and no credit, all not desirable situations IMO. 

if their situation in Thailand is less desirable the choice is an easy one. please tell me what assets one needs to liquidate to escape to Thailand and why should the liquid proceeds of these assets have disappeared? priced out of the housing market? tough luck! rent if you can't buy. live in the Ozarks if you can't afford Manhattan or Beverly Hills.

3 hours ago, gios50hk said:

Rampant corruption, tyrannical leader & government, overt racism, home to the largest assortment of criminals, scam artists, conmen and other low-life scum on the planet, total lack of judicial and legal system, world's worst motorists for starters .......shall I go on?

So you don't stay in Thailand obviously, or do you ?