Police order bars in Bangkok and Pattaya to close on Friday

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

We know what this day is, and it is a very sad time.  

We could not see the closure of bars was 'inevitable'.... because no official notice appears to have been given to the general public, including bar and shop owners... Thai or none Thai people alike were in confusion.  

The 'backlash' has nothing to do with what day it is.  The backlash is about the confusion, incompetence and general lack of organisation by the powers that be to communicate their orders with the rest of us.

'Some places being open'... in fact in my area 90 percent of the places were open... and they are mostly Thai places with no tourists.  The places that did not sell alcohol said it was their personal decision... out of respect and their personal beliefs, not because it was illegal.  

If it was make clear to the population that alcohol sales were or were not permitted on this day then we would have no reason to have any 'backlash'.  

Again my point is that given some places remained open - all well and good for anyone going out, as I did earlier this evening.

But for the significance of today - I was not surprised that plenty of bars and red light districts were ordered to close for tonight out of respect.  Everyone getting their knickers in a knot about late closure or no notice should have assumed this would happen on today of all days

1 minute ago, Argus Tuft said:

Again my point is that given some places remained open - all well and good for anyone going out, as I did earlier this evening.

But for the significance of today - I was not surprised that plenty of bars and red light districts were ordered to close for tonight out of respect.  Everyone getting their knickers in a knot about late closure or no notice should have assumed this would happen on today of all days

Are we supposed to be mind readers now? 

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

Why can't people have alcohol on a significant day?  So long as they are acting within the law, not having loud parties or making problems for people what is wrong with drinking alcohol?  

If the bars are all closes they will still drink at home anyway... perhaps more as they don't have to drive or pay bar bills. 

Don't people have alcohol at funerals?  

Again you're missing the point on THIS day, its not like other days.  There is no precedent for this.

Not disputing your reasoning on people acting within the law and not being disrespectful etc.  I myself was out earlier, and now home having another few drinks.

And the funeral comment is misguided.  This is the anniversary of HM passing, not his funeral.  Read the news reports here to see what this day meant to some

To anyone local paying attention, it was easy to know what day this was.

What WAS NOT easy to know, was just how the authorities would respond to the day in their imperial fashion. And if they were going to issue particular edicts, somehow, it doesn't strike me as unreasonable to expect that they might have noticed them a bit further in advance than haphazardly by late afternoon or evening site visits on the day of.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

A Thai friend who owns a restaurant here in Hua Hin told me bars are closed today, but she was wrong.

if you know Hua Hin, I would say 20% of the bars on Soi 94 were closed.

I am thinking this was by choice of the owners.

100% of the bars on Soi 80 were open.

Amazing what good memories the girls on Sol 80 have, I must have heard my name called out a dozen times before I got from one end of the soi to the other. :cheesy:

Edited by NCC1701A

1 hour ago, Argus Tuft said:

Perhaps you misunderstand me.

I count at least 7 comments complaining about the lack of info about closures today.

All I am saying is that given the circumstances on the importance of what today represents to this country - for places being closed down is no surprise.

No high horse, stop being so dramatic.

And yes today was very significant.  If you cannot understand this then you have no valid for reason for getting uptight about my post

Why are you uptight about people  commenting on closures? One half of the country is shut down and the other half (with the tourists) is kicking off as usual.

Thai beauracracy at it's finest, they don't deserve a break, today is a perfect example of their beauracratic shortcomings.

Ugh.  

Not uptight about the commenting on closures, not sure if I can make this any clearer.

Your post is probably the most succinct one in this thread.

My point is that everyone's surprised about it all, the lack of forewarning, the confusion.  Forget the lack of notice. Nobody could see this coming?  

2 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Where do you get the impression that anyone who has posted in this thread is an alcoholic?

I did not mention this thread did I ?  but try post 15 . 

2 minutes ago, balo said:

I did not mention this thread did I ?  but try post 15 . 

You posted in this thread. 

And BBG's tongue in cheek post hardly infers "too many alcoholics"

Jeez balo, I'm usually a fan of your posts but you shot yourself in the foot with this one :smile:

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I love living here because the incompetence, stupidity, inability to communicate or get anything right, totally uncoordinated way of doing things, gives me a good laugh every day and makes me realise I am not a total loss after all.

Actually, it isn't funny.

9 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Really surprised by the backlash on this.  It is the anniversary of the passing of HM.

Could none of you see that a closure of bars was inevitable today? Regardless of some places being open - this is just blind luck on the part of most of you.

This is one day to give the attacks on bureaucracy a rest methinks

You totally miss the point. The point is that bars etc were only being told on the day, even in some cases after a ban was supposed to have already been in operation. In the real world such a decision would have been made and announced weeks in advance, and also not applied in one place and not another. They certainly don't go around closing places halfway through the evening after not bothering to inform the places that they were not supposed to be open. It can hardly have come as a surprise that the anniversary was coming up. They've known for a year, but still couldn't get their act together.

So I'd say the 'attacks on bureaucracy are fully justified, wouldn't you?

5 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
8 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Really?  No, just supposed to have half a brain, knowledge of the country, and some common sense.

Maybe using your common sense you can explain why bars in Hua hin were not closed?

Try reading my other posts. I clearly acknowledged that not all places were closed. 

i thought is was common knowledge that bars had to shut from midnight thursday until midnight friday. this lot just trying it on, in Jomtien i was surprised to see bars open as i went to night market, on my return past at 7 pm all bars were shut, (only a day late) just shows they got no respect,and as to wearing clothing  etc, that did not last long, i wore my wrist band for one year just took it off, all this falseness is pathetic

Folks, always remember 2 things in Thailand.

1. TAT themselves coined the phrase Amazing Thailand- so be prepared to be amazed anytime.

2. Thaksin himself once said to his American business partner who felt he had been cheated by squarehead-

TIT, this is Thailand. old Bernard Trink was fond of quoting the phrase too.

nuff said. 

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

gives me a good laugh every day and makes me realise I am not a total loss after all.

Feels great to have someone to look down upon and laugh at... It truly is good for the soul, as Monty Python pointed out many years ago.

No shortage of Village Idiots in Thailand. Easy to spot. Wearing brown and begging for/demanding shillings.