Regrets I've had a few but then again – How about you

Once Bitten

Interesting post, Once Bitten, and it made me think back on my life as I'm now just about on my 70th birthday, however I can't say that I regret much at all as life has been a series of adventures and mostly good times.

I say this even though I left my grammar school at aged 15 and started work in a brickworks, which was not the best start to one's working life, however from there I went from strength to strength after learning a trade and managed to work in exciting and dangerous places, all the while increasing my knowledge and training and retraining whenever necessary. In the end I was the chief manager of an investment division in a bank, more or less running this as a company within a company as I was responsible for starting it along with a colleague, responsible for $2 billion of funds under management, thousands of clients and direct staff of around 40 people.........then I gave it all away and came here!!

I can only regret the things which I had control over and although I would have liked a normal family life and upbringing, this wasn't to be the case, however I did what I had to do to get by and it seems to have worked out okay.

I suppose the more I think about it the more regrets I could have, but two always come to mind: – I should never have got married in 1977 as it was the biggest mistake of my life, this to a woman who wanted to change me from the minute I moved her into my house, so this only lasted about 2.5 years and they were not pleasant years.

The second regret was not taking up the opportunity to go for a trial at QPR; this when the club scouts had already watched me a few times and made an approach to the manager of my club because they thought I had potential. I declined the opportunity because I was then doing an apprenticeship and because I didn't have the self-confidence to believe I was good enough, when I should have let them be the judge.

In signing off I would add that during my working life I was a "driven man" and whilst that was good in a way because it brought results, it also meant that I worked long hours and although I enjoyed the work mostly, it also affected my health, so work/life balance for me was never in play, when it should have been.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Regrets I've had a few but then again

Me well l've done what's in the song 

I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
But more, much more than this
I did it my way
Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

• Like 2

You went through life and did as you wanted as you went along.  Buying a Ford Capri instead of a house, drinking instead of exercising, un-smart 2nd marriage etc.  I can relate.

But you (meaning we) don't know what the future holds -- what I'm getting at in particular here is we don't know if we will live long enough to regret our past.  Some of us lived like there was no tomorrow because, well, maybe there would be no tomorrow!  Not necessarily regarding nuclear war, biological disaster etc, but more likely changing lanes without double-checking the blindspot not seeing the cement truck that will dispatch you to the pearly gates (or the furnace).

I'm in the age range of your gang, and when I was teens through 30 I had the impression I would be dead by 30.  No particular reason (like a terminal ailment), just thought that way.  Maybe I can blame Peter Townsend :wink:   Funny thing is I've met a number of people my age and a bit younger who went through their youth with the same idea.  Mind you, it wasn't a morbid feeling of "here comes death" but rather a matter-of-fact bit of knowledge.  One day, at the ripe old age of 32, it dawned on me "hey, I'm still here!'  It sparked a re-evaluation and I ended up going to university.

Live long, and if you're so inclined, prosper.

• Like 1

When I look back, which is rare because I prefer to live in the present, I consider myself fortunate, I've kind of rolled along enjoying life. Sure had to work, but consider this was perhaps a good thing to keep me out of even more mischief :smile:

Thailand becomes another interesting chapter, if it unfolds well, or, improves on the previous chapters, as it appears may well be the case, I shall be very fortunate indeed.

Yes the Edith Piaf song sure strikes a chord.

• Like 1

My biggest regret is now letting other people into my life.
  I had an exceptional good life.But I was lonely. I ate right very little junk food. I exercised running 10 mile races,racquetball,squash. Raced sailboats on the weekends in the winter, Raced sailboats on wednesday nights in the summer. Cruised the Pacific northwest all the way to Alaska. I was off cruising on fridays till sunday in the summers,crabbing,shrimping,catching salmon and cod. Holdays in Mexico and Thailand very  January. I bought and sold houses at a whim.When the carpets were dirty I sold the house rather than vacuum.I hated domestic work.
  I seldom worked past lunch time.
 But I did t all alone. Singlehanded my 27 footer.Travelled alone,lived alone. Always had GF,s but did not take who ever it was at the time with me treavelling,racing or cruising.GF,s were for dining, and light social activity
 I should have got married. Now I am married I realize how much more I could have enjoyed what I did if I had shared it.
Oh don't worry there is a 50% chance you will be sharing it all a few years down the track [emoji16]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a balcony nearby with your name on it.  The biggest cop-out of all is 

"every thing that happens in your life is meant to happen , sort of your destiny type of thing 

Loosers who don't plan and take care of business often say this to console themselves. 

Women especially love that "we broke up but everything has a reason". Yeah the reason was you were a selfish <deleted> and you will die alone unless you change. 

You have all these regrets and the whole story started sitting in a bar with bunch of the same guys. All wallowing in your own misery but masking it as a night out with the boys. Then one of you will die but by the weekend it will be business as usual. Remember no matter where you go there you are. Drinking won't change that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

My biggest regret is now letting other people into my life.

I had an exceptional good life.But I was lonely. I ate right very little junk food. I exercised running 10 mile races,racquetball,squash. Raced sailboats on the weekends in the winter, Raced sailboats on wednesday nights in the summer. Cruised the Pacific northwest all the way to Alaska. I was off cruising on fridays till sunday in the summers,crabbing,shrimping,catching salmon and cod. Holdays in Mexico and Thailand very  January. I bought and sold houses at a whim.When the carpets were dirty I sold the house rather than vacuum.I hated domestic work.

I seldom worked past lunch time.

But I did t all alone. Singlehanded my 27 footer.Travelled alone,lived alone. Always had GF,s but did not take who ever it was at the time with me treavelling,racing or cruising.GF,s were for dining, and light social activity

I should have got married. Now I am married I realize how much more I could have enjoyed what I did if I had shared it.

Maybe.  You came out well..

The quote about Karma.. maybe, but the education and better bucks sounds good. Good You made it this far.. (all of You)

I like the story from bricklayer to money manager..

Aloha from me in landpoor (landrich?) Hawaii (I live on my own land, but I'm poor as a kitten..

Robots took over me business!

Drum machines!  (Alohz)

• Like 1