RCA case highlights problems of kids selling flowers/sweets at entertainment areas

webfact

RCA case highlights problems of kids selling flowers/sweets at entertainment areas

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Manager reported on a case of a member of the public extorted out of 2,000 baht after a child tried to sell roses to them late at RCA in Bangkok at the weekend.

The news media said that the problem of children - and their parents nearby - selling items such as garlands, sweets, inhalers and tissues was as big as ever.

It created annoyance among the public and needs to be stopped.

And it can often turn nasty as parents or guardians of the "child gangs" resort to violence to extort money from people having a quiet night out.

In the latest case featured on Facebook on the page of "Cash Sitipop Thaiutai" the poster said that a group of people had been at a pub.

They came out at 3am for something to eat and were approached by two children selling roses. They said they were not interested but the children persisted by standing their ground in defiance then even throwing the roses at the customer in mock anger.

They then started crying crocodile tears claiming they had been hit and ran off.

A mother came back and hit one of the group over the head with a shoe saying they had assaulted her child.

Fearing worse trouble the group of people coughed up 2,000 baht.

Netizens claimed it was a clear case of extortion - with many saying similar incidents had happened to them.

Many wondered if the people involved in the extortion were Thai, reported Manager.

A children's welfare group has called on parents to not let their children out at night.

But most members of the public realize it's a scam - and the parents are out with them ready to rip off the public.

Picture: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-16

Asia wide problem, that exploits kids, organised by adults and where the kids involved see next to none of the proceeds. People who buy from these kids are not doing the child a favour, they are simply prolonging and exacerbating the problem. With halfway decent policing, it could be stamped out rapidly, but the very same cops are probably profiting from it too.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Asia wide problem, that exploits kids, organised by adults and where the kids involved see next to none of the proceeds. People who buy from these kids are not doing the child a favour, they are simply prolonging and exacerbating the problem. With halfway decent policing, it could be stamped out rapidly, but the very same cops are probably profiting from it too.

Not only in Asia, same in Europe.

And many wondered if the children were Thai............

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another one they have been saying the same about, since I first visited in 1991 !

Still a problem .

They are nothing but an annoyance , I avoid the bars where these brats ply their trade .

They stand in the shadows , watching .

Say you were playing pool with a Thai lady from the bar , as soon as you would speak to her , the brats would be straight between you, shoving a bunch of flowers between your faces , even if you say no , they (or the old grandparents , more like) would just stand there next to you both , listening to the conversation .

So rude .

There was also a constant stream of kids and grandparents trying to sell you something , usually about every five minutes they would ask .

After seeming spending the best part of the night shaking my head and saying no to the brats , I decided to stop going to that bar

1 minute ago, ebean001 said:

I could be wrong but I would have dialed 191 immediately. Let the police take over. They normally know everything before they even get there.

I don't understand why "a group" would allow one woman to hit one of them with a shoe and then give her 2k.........why? No security outside this pub?

15 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Check around Kaosan Road , you can find many. As long as a buyers, this will never stop.

These children lives are not on the bed of roses anyway.

All involved in this trade because of money. Society is responsible.

Some foundation should rescue these children.

so let's found TV child protection foundation.
many spotters on the Forum anyway !
and we can contribute to the Country that is hosting us !

Obviously the sharpest tools are still in the shed?!?!
Jesus Christ!!! 
As long as I know - little kids are used as live cattle in these rip-off and begging scams.
Not even their own parents carry them all over the streets!

Wake up please! "Children's welfare group"...my a s s

6 hours ago, webfact said:

children's welfare group

Once I was walking and a girl (maybe 10-12 years old) came to me asking for money, I said no, but I made the mistake of sitting somewhere and keep talking to her (like where are you parents, etc..). Finally, I had enough and I left,  and she start shouting "Are you crazy?" as I left with many people around (That was on a river side where people like to stroll), trying to imply I was some kind of pedophile.

Given that Thai children have to be up early for school (whatever happens in Nakorn Nowhere education is compulsory in Bankok) children on the streets at 3.00am are almost certainly illegal immigrants (who cannot be enrolled in Thai Schools). So this is part of a much wider problem than simply child beggars.

2 hours ago, KKr said:

so let's found TV child protection foundation.
many spotters on the Forum anyway !
and we can contribute to the Country that is hosting us !

We risk going to prison, fined or deported if we do that.... because we need to apply and go through all the security for setting up a foundation, money, banking, visas.... etc... and we would also be working.. which farangs are not allowed to do in Thailand and will have our visas stopped.

You even need a load of paperwork, permissions, etc, just to volunteer to do something totally free and as a service to the country that is 'hosting' us.

Isn't this just a case of poor Thai families using all their resources to eek out a living? Mum sells a bit of food, dad does a bit of taxi driving, kids do a bit of flower selling, etc. etc. The kids I see doing this always seem to be enjoying it, and making a few baht for the family at the same time.

Should we really be preaching to these families who live a life of genuine poverty?

Or am I being naïve?

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

RCA?? what RCA? the Radio Corporation of Amerika? in Bangkok?

I'm sorry, I don't live in Bangkok, always those abbreviations, is it the laziness or too much trouble?

Not meaning to be disparaging, this is the ThaiVisa forum and it is assumed members know a bit about Thailand.  RCA is a very popular entertainment area for younger folks in Bangkok.  I would think most large cities in many countries have similar names for these types of areas.

23 minutes ago, snooky said:

Not meaning to be disparaging, this is the ThaiVisa forum and it is assumed members know a bit about Thailand.  RCA is a very popular entertainment area for younger folks in Bangkok.  I would think most large cities in many countries have similar names for these types of areas.

Not meaning to be disparaging but I have been coming here since 2005 and lived here full time since 2011 and have no clue as to what RCA is, so perhaps you could enlighten us, not everyone lives in BKK you know. :mad:

28 minutes ago, snooky said:

Thanks for your explanation.

I lives here for long time, comes to BKK only for Pantip plaza.

I think it is not strange I don't know RCA in Thailand, being a technician, from long time ago, I know RCA only from the USA.

I was approached by 2 young girls in soi 7 Pattaya selling flowers

One was about 6 and the other about 8

I told them they shouldn't come into the bars as I was concerned about paedophile's molesting them

They abused and yelled  at me for trying to protect them

A bit sad really

18 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

I was approached by 2 young girls in soi 7 Pattaya selling flowers

One was about 6 and the other about 8

I told them they shouldn't come into the bars as I was concerned about paedophile's molesting them

They abused and yelled  at me for trying to protect them

A bit sad really

Perhaps they didn't agree with your well thought out point of view .... or maybe they had no idea what you were on about. 

I had a restaurant in patong beach for many years, i spent most nights kicking the kids and the old grandmothers out, i was sick of them pestering the customers, they used to just come in and lay flowers on the tables, then the grandma would get nasty when you kicked them out.