Two days down, nearly 100 deaths

rooster59

8 minutes ago, superal said:

So when I got level with the stations I looked in and guess what I could not believe what I saw , 4  policemen sitting at a table that was loaded with bottles of beer and all drinking .

Picture or quite frankly, it never happened.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One has to realise that Thailand is the current world champion for traffic deaths and holding onto a world record is not within a military junta's control. Usually, an army is known for its discipline and rigid obedience to the rules and regulations of the country. Thailand has none of this and therefore incompetence cannot be relied on to solve the problem.

While Western countries have decided not to compete in Death race 2017 by initiating sensible methods of lowering their death race points, Thailand can boast of being a hub and will not give up the title easily. Yes, technology could lower the death rate and lower corruption by sending a summons automatically for speeding or lane changing offences but will Thais actually want to give up the title so easily?

15 minutes ago, superal said:

Near to my house police set up 2 new check stations and when I drove past them yesterday early evening they had these multi coloured vertical strip lights mounted in the road and were so bright that they made seeing the road very difficult . So when I got level with the stations I looked in and guess what I could not believe what I saw , 4  policemen sitting at a table that was loaded with bottles of beer and all drinking . I told this to my partner and she said no problem as it is the new year . I said they are supposed to be stopping drivers and checking for D.U.I.  not joining in , unless of course they got their instructions muddled up . 

I'm guess that you haven't been driving long in LOS.

It's normal for check points not to be manned at night and the lights to be left on, as a warning of the obstruction in the road.

While the beer isn't usual, it is new year and as they are off duty, just doing what everyone else is doing after work hours at this time of year.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Picture or quite frankly, it never happened.

Not sure what you mean , is it tongue in cheek ,  take a picture ?  putting my freedom at risk ?  have you started celebrating already ?

Decreasing congestion will only raise average speed leading to more collisions. The roads are badly designed with no separation between different sorts of traffic like trucks, motorcycles and pedal cycles, dangerous U turn junctions, endemic red light running, lack of roundabouts (traffic circles) overtired drivers and selfish attitude might is right. Drivers are untrained, unpoliced, and fatalistic in their attitudes. Government is weak and posturing, with unrealistically low penalties and no real supervision of police activities or implementation of collision avoidance measures. 

If this continues, Thailand will forever head the list of most dangerous countries to drive.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm guess that you haven't been driving long in LOS.

It's normal for check points not to be manned at night and the lights to be left on, as a warning of the obstruction in the road.

While the beer isn't usual, it is new year and as they are off duty, just doing what everyone else is doing after work hours at this time of year.

I have been driving here for 6 years but not seen lights so bright as those I quoted , secondly why do you assume they were off duty ? It was a live 24 hour check point  and how were they going to travel after the drink ?   get a taxi ?

20 minutes ago, superal said:

Near to my house police set up 2 new check stations and when I drove past them yesterday early evening they had these multi coloured vertical strip lights mounted in the road and were so bright that they made seeing the road very difficult . So when I got level with the stations I looked in and guess what I could not believe what I saw , 4  policemen sitting at a table that was loaded with bottles of beer and all drinking . I told this to my partner and she said no problem as it is the new year . I said they are supposed to be stopping drivers and checking for D.U.I.  not joining in , unless of course they got their instructions muddled up . 

Reminds me of a 'funny' story.

Whilst on holiday here a couple of decades ago, I was 'forced' into renting a scooter.  I was terrified, traveled v slowly and so coming back late at night after an evening meal, lost sight of those with whom I was with at a roundabout.

I'd had a couple of drinks/had no idea of the way 'home', and so parked off the roundabout and burst into tears!  (Yes, I'm female and can be pathetic at times...)  After a few minutes, hubby/brother etc. came back to find me and it was mentioned that the police (on another intersection of the roundabout) had obviously had far more to drink than me!

I can almost laugh about it nowadays....

It's kind of funny seeing the authorities dance around root causes 

How about a lack of proper driver education, traffic law enforcement, an apparent tolerance for drunk driving, a lack of safety regulations (i.e. van/bus drivers allowed to work too long) and maybe a dearth of good old fashioned common sense?  

4 hours ago, connda said:

I believe I read that the daily average in Thailand is either 61 or 66 fatalities per day.  So the daily carnage toll is down.  The news agencies should keep that daily statistic as a comparison. 

Facts and fiction.......Everybody seems to be quoting from two different sources.

the sixty plus deaths a day come from international monitoring agencies, who came up with 24000 plus deaths per year... but these numbers won’t be available until november/ December 2018.

lower numbers come from Thai road monitoring agencies, which, for example, reported about 10,000 deaths last year....or about 27 per day, on average.... including a 7/7/7 spike of between 42 (lowest)to 87 (highest on day 5). It is these same agencies that are giving us the daily carnage numbers now

so... until the truth emerges at the end of next year (nov 2018).... the relevant (by the same gathering/ reporting body) daily average, for comparisons, should be taken as 27

here are some numbers from Richard.barrow.com

B8E3E927-0875-40F7-AE55-E2AD6CAE9A1D.png

Edited by farcanell

1 hour ago, Face Rip said:

It's kind of funny seeing the authorities dance around root causes 

How about a lack of proper driver education, traffic law enforcement, an apparent tolerance for drunk driving, a lack of safety regulations (i.e. van/bus drivers allowed to work too long) and maybe a dearth of good old fashioned common sense?  

Perhaps it's all about the great education, or the lack of it? !?

Let's start to blame a little wannabe general for it. 

Edited by jenny2017

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am always keeping my eye on the speedometer when in Aus, that includes fixed red light cameras, etc, etc and don't drink more than 2 middies in an hour

Yes but it does make driving in oz unpleasant as you are constantly watching for police and their electronics. I enjoy driving more in Thailand even though it is more dangerous.

4 hours ago, connda said:

Yeah, it's incredibly suicidal behavior which seems to have a cultural component.  I've never seen vehicles merge onto a thoroughfare without looking anywhere else I've driven in the world.  Sure, occasionally you'll see someone do it in a Western country, and you think to yourself, "Wow, that was stupid and if a cop was around he'd be getting a ticket."  Here in Thailand pulling out without looking is the norm.  And when it happens, who is that most at risk?  Motorcycle riders.  I can only imagine the amount of carnage that is caused by just this one example of highly dangerous driving behavior that is standard here in Thailand.  Failing to either stop or yield at intersections and then turning onto the main roads without even a glance at oncoming traffic.

yes that standard driving where I live, it seems to stem from I own the road so get out of my way, if you crash it is your fault

3 hours ago, soistalker said:

I have an idea: Allow 15% of minivans to be owned and operated by foreigners. After a full year,  if (haha, if) the rate of accidents and deaths are significantly lower than that for Thai minivan driver's, increase the foreigner owned and operated minivans to 30%. Increase each year. I guarantee you the accident rate will be cut in half.

This will save lives and take jobs away from vehicular homicide/manslaughter Thai "drivers."

Good idea.  Except that each of the first batch of farang drivers will be beaten to a pulp by the other 85%

A solution is self driving cars if they are as good as some make out. But I see a problem in Thailand in that the Thais would not like them as it would stop their silly/dangerous antics. They would be too impatient to have one.

The other solution would be to build a big wall around Bangkok and not let the city people out (a personal rant as it is bedlam on the roads up here at the moment)

A recent ban on people riding in the back of pick ups was relaxed for the time being supposedly  and there was even mention I am told of people not being allowed to sit in the back of a pick up cab of which there is a bench seat and no seat belts and is intended for cargo . I think that is going a little bit too far too soon . Maybe a directive to have restraints fitted in a given time .  Last of all if I was given the option of sitting in the back of a pick up or ride pillion on a motor bike for a 3 hour journey I would take the pick up every time . Motor bikes are the biggest risk and account for over 70% of fatalities .

28 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Not even 100 ? What a shame. I live in a Number One Country.....related to road deaths.....so try more.

Actually nobody cares. And the govt.? Talking about rings and watches.......Happy New Year, Thailand

Well you need to get the priorities right... 

5 hours ago, connda said:

Yeah, it's incredibly suicidal behavior which seems to have a cultural component.  I've never seen vehicles merge onto a thoroughfare without looking anywhere else I've driven in the world.  Sure, occasionally you'll see someone do it in a Western country, and you think to yourself, "Wow, that was stupid and if a cop was around he'd be getting a ticket."  Here in Thailand pulling out without looking is the norm.  And when it happens, who is that most at risk?  Motorcycle riders.  I can only imagine the amount of carnage that is caused by just this one example of highly dangerous driving behavior that is standard here in Thailand.  Failing to either stop or yield at intersections and then turning onto the main roads without even a glance at oncoming traffic.

Yes agree about not looking right before entering a road, have now seen many Falangs now doing it, I always beep my horn when seeing this, but then the Falangs take this as road rage and respond with not very nice gestures, education from school level would be a big help for the next generation, but passing a motor bike test to start with would be a good idea

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Yes but it does make driving in oz unpleasant as you are constantly watching for police and their electronics. I enjoy driving more in Thailand even though it is more dangerous.

R u serious mate, I don't even wear a seat belt...................I'm free, don't even look at the speedo, but do keep it under 100 in the bush here. as for the fine every now and again, I could just salute the officer, 200 baht, 400 baht, have a great day officer...lol

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

And all the time you’re looking at the speedo because of draconian speed limits set 50 years ago for crap cars, you’re not looking at the road ! 

But you can't argue about the fact that it does reduce deaths on the roads, as annoying and stressful as it is driving on the the roads not to get booked.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

A central reservation with U turns has recently been built where I live :sad:.

Far more dangerous for various reasons, but the main one is it's hard to see oncoming traffic with vehicles turning in the opposite direction blocking the view.

And they seem to be built at random places without any logic whatsoever. I know of one in Kalasin that was closed and another opened further on, close to a bend so you can't see traffic approaching as to wait to turn. Lunacy. Block a safe one and build one that attracts accidents.

11 hours ago, DoctorG said:

92 will be considered as some sort of success by the authorities, but I doubt the affected families will share the satisfaction.

In a few days time some will be praising themselves for the slight drop in deaths just wait and see, there will be less there has to be less but will we ever know the true figures as can't upset the tourists can we, too many and those tourists will not come and die here will they.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Having the police force out in full, with breathalysers will bring the numbers down, but that is nothing to gloat about, it has to be a 24/7 thing, like in Australia, every police vehicle is a random breath tester RBT and they are literally everywhere, so to are red light cameras, speed cameras, radar detectors and anything else you can think of, step out of the speed limit and cop the heavy fines and loss of licence, and maybe jail time. Fear does have its effects. I am always keeping my eye on the speedometer when in Aus, that includes fixed red light cameras, etc, etc and don't drink more than 2 middies in an hour

Yeah...lets make it where we just come from........go back mate if it makes you feel comfortable .