Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

17 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I love watching Princess Anne sing "Flower of Scotland" and not the English one at Scotland england rugby games.

Braveheart has been labelled one of the most historically inaccurate movies ever made.

(Have you noticed how many films Mel Gibson depicts himself being tortures in?)

however Scotland's right to self determination is hard to argue against.......any future move to do this will have to avoid the undemocratic faults exposed by 
Brexit referendum. It needs to be on the US model, I'd suggest.

I fully intend to follow Scotland out of the UK if they go and become a fully fledged citizen - (as I currently am ) of the EU.

I think many people in the UK are going to seek citizenship elsewhere if Brexit goes through.

After Brexit of any kind the country will be more bitterly divided than at any time in the past 500 years.

6 hours ago, nontabury said:

And was’t it a Lancastrian who designed the modern kilt.

And if your so knowledgeable, from where does this ancient  kilt originate?

2EA0E758-0E27-4B3A-82BC-BCE257AB3613.jpeg

According to wiki, the Lancashire invention was the walking kilt and came 200 years later than the belted plaid worn in Scotland, the main difference in the walking kilt was that the pleats were sewn in.  

To find the true origins of the kilt then we have to look much further back to the fustanella, still worn by the Greeks and Balkan militaries in ceremonies and having Roman or even ancient Greek origin, it is most likely that the Scots took inspiration for their dress in the Balkans, as there they also wore long socks with garters and also played the bagpipes.  Something that we do not dispute that the Romans brought Scotland were the bagpipes, the kilt is for some reason a little harder to give up though, and staunch nationalists deny that the kilt is just a Scottish version of the fustanella and claim that Scots invented the 'Great Kilt', apparently it is fundamentally different through its complexity of plaits or something, however, for me though it all starts getting a bit boring at that point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nontabury said:

My understanding was that tartan was not something even remotely common, and that the notion of clan tartans was 'invented' by Sir Walter Scott (him of Ivanhoe, Rob Roy fame etc) as a literary device, but it gained romantic traction and was adopted by the canny Scots.

7 hours ago, nontabury said:

2EA0E758-0E27-4B3A-82BC-BCE257AB3613.jpeg

With a post like thatto, you are inevitably going to make a fool of yourself...not just showing your historical ignorance but failing to address how it relates to a debate about Brexit.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I despise the UK government, crown, and what they've done to Scotland, which could have been as rich as Norway, if it hadn't Benn for the thieving English.

I have to disagree with you fully on this post. Your argument should not be with the English, Welsh, or Northern Irish, who have all endured the same callous disregard from successive Tory and Labour governments.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I have to disagree with you fully on this post. Your argument should not be with the English, Welsh, or Northern Irish, who have all endured the same callous disregard from successive Tory and Labour governments.

The northern Irish????? Study your history!

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

The northern Irish????? Study your history!

Should I have listed every nation that has suffered at the hands of the UK? That might be a long list.

Or are you referring to the troubles? If so, my post was regarding economic sabotage from Westminster only; I was not referring to any internecine activities.

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

My understanding was that tartan was not something even remotely common, and that the notion of clan tartans was 'invented' by Sir Walter Scott (him of Ivanhoe, Rob Roy fame etc) as a literary device, but it gained romantic traction and was adopted by the canny Scots.

Clan tartan is suspected to be an entirely modern invention, dating from this time you speak of when it was reserected.  We know that ribbons were used as a battlefield identifier and so we can presume that tartan wasn't also being used.  However, when you bear in mind the times of past, when weaving was done at a village level, when dyes were a precious commodity, and patterns were something passed mother to daughter, I think it can also be assumed that at least some clans would have all been wearing matching tartan.  But their clans tartan may have also matched another clans tartan, and even if it was unique, in a time when available dyes were less varied and less vibrant, with all the variation in hues of green and brown that you could make, it may not have been enough to produce a tartan that served the purpose of identification of the clan, even if they had of wanted to.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Brexit is really funny :  new UK passport will be printed in France

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43489462

Tendering rules as per EU directive...

Though the French company came in with a tender of £120m less than the UK one assuming if it was for a 10 year contract therefore assume 60 million passports that's a saving of £2 each passport, how much do they cost to make? 

personally I have concerns over security as whats to stop some leaving by the backdoor... 

• Like 2

More evidence of the democratic legitimacy of the European Commission.

Juncker on the brink: EU FAILS to meet deadline to explain how ally Selmayr was hired

JEAN Claude-Juncker’s European Commission has failed to meet a deadline to answer key questions about the controversial appointment of Martin Selmayr as secretary-general and MEPs have warned they are prepared to postpone the EU’s general budget until the situation is resolved.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/936413/eu-jean-claude-juncker-martin-selmayr-european-commission

• Like 2

Nothing to to do with Brexit.

You must be  Remoaner because you have failed to read/recognize the fact that Gemalto has a factory in Fareham. 

De la Rue are compounding their greed with sensationalism.

This De La Rue...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337944/British-passports-abroad-costing-100-jobs-100-million-taxpayers.html

The whole passport thing is just a massive distraction from the real issues that need facing, the same as the fish, not really significant in the great meaning of Brexit but emotional triggers stirring up hysteria on both sides.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, aright said:

How dare you?  Back doors are for Greeks!!!!

A former colleague used to regale us with tales from work in the housing department.  “Come and smell my back passage” would have us creased up long enough for him to drink up and make a Sharp Exit before the bill came.

12 minutes ago, aright said:

How dare you?  Back doors are for Greeks!!!!

6 hours ago, aright said:

More evidence of the democratic legitimacy of the European Commission.

Juncker on the brink: EU FAILS to meet deadline to explain how ally Selmayr was hired

JEAN Claude-Juncker’s European Commission has failed to meet a deadline to answer key questions about the controversial appointment of Martin Selmayr as secretary-general and MEPs have warned they are prepared to postpone the EU’s general budget until the situation is resolved.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/936413/eu-jean-claude-juncker-martin-selmayr-european-commission

The other side of the coin - not so shiny - always ignored by our luvvy duvvies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Nothing to to do with Brexit.

You must be  Remoaner because you have failed to read/recognize the fact that Gemalto has a factory in Fareham. 

De la Rue are compounding their greed with sensationalism.

You couldn't get a more street level British name than de la Rue!

5 hours ago, nontabury said:

A French/ Dutch company have been awarded the contract, however I beleive the passports will be produced in their factory,  situated in Poland. Where wages are significantly lower than in the U.K. Hence they managed to undercut the British tender. Of course as we now know, the governments of Holland,France, Spain and Italy do not allow their passports to be printed outside their countries, stating security needs. Proving that once again the British are mugs.

Only 52% of us ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

When the source of this kind of misinformation is a remainer you seem to accept that misinformation without question.  

Sorry, too good a gag! When Nontabury leaves an open goal I feel an overwhelming sense of duty.