"Thai teen, 16, took my dowry and I'm the third victim," complains Sisaket groom left in the lurch

webfact

"Thai teen, 16, took my dowry and I'm the third victim," complains Sisaket groom left in the lurch

561000002949101.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

An 18 year old Sisaket groom said he has been left in debt after his 16 year old bride left him with virtually nothing.

The couple were living together and the family of the girl, aged just 16, demanded that a marriage was arranged and 40,000 baht was paid.

This was done but a month later "Oil" was on her way. She gave "Boy" 1,000 baht saying she had spent the rest.

561000002949103.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Boy, from Rasisalai district, claims that he is the third victim of the scam that has netted Oil and her parents 120,000.

A poor villager, he will now be in debt for years to pay off a loan.

But Oil, from Kansarom district, and her folks have a different view of the case. They have claimed online defamation and gone to the government watchdog Damrongtham for justice.

Manager reported that it was the latest case of allegations of a bride disappearing with a dowry.

One last year featured more than a dozen men who thought they were married to the same woman.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-22
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

well lets hope  Boy recovers financially and has learned at a early age to rent instead of buy.

He tried a long lease. :crazy: Unfortunaltely the viechle was too damaged.

Edited by Get Real

2 hours ago, milwaukeeboy said:

Hmmm?  Who is more guilty?  In many countries, he is guilty of human trafficking and rape of a minor if he sampled the goods before paying the dowry.

The parents of the bride might also be guilty of some heinous crime.

They were living together and she was sixteen so not underage.  Looks like a scam by the family.    Thank goodness for their Buddhist morality or it could have been so much worse!

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of course, if the dowry - read parents selling their daughter - thing didn't exist then neither would the crime. Just part of the Face nonsense that consumes the Thais.

Yes a bit odd isn't it.  But my wife thought it was odd when she heard that in the UK it was the brides family that always paid for the wedding.  Of course it doesn't always happen that way as it doesn't always happen with a dowry in Thailand.  Certainly not in our case.  It did with her sister though who married a Thai man.  Obviously the dowry was returned immediately as my wife explained that it was only a tradition.   

11 hours ago, dunroaming said:

They were living together and she was sixteen so not underage.  Looks like a scam by the family.    Thank goodness for their Buddhist morality or it could have been so much worse!

True, I have read that most Thai dowries are ฿200,000. A bargain is not always such a bargain. 

On 3/22/2018 at 9:43 AM, webfact said:

The couple were living together and the family of the girl, aged just 16, demanded that a marriage was arranged and 40,000 baht was paid.

Bargain, sex with a 16 year old for less than the price of a new scooter!

Her third go as well, must be a fast worker.

Edited by MaeJoMTB