Suvarnabhumi Airport security officer arrested for stealing Bt6,000 from American tourist

webfact

Airport security officer arrested for stealing Bt6,000 from tourist

By The Nation

svb.jpg.fe57c34c3ed4c24fb7985fa9807cf728.jpg

FILE photo

A security officer manning an x-ray machine at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport was arrested on Tuesday evening for allegedly stealing Bt6,000 from the bag of an American tourist.

Thanat Monthonrat, 25, a security officer employed by a private firm, was arrested at 6.30pm promptly after the 89-year-old tourist told a team of patrol security officers that six Bt1,000 notes had disappeared from his bag, which was scanned by Thanat.

The tourist filed the complaint a few minutes after his bag was scanned. The security team then searched Thanat, who was still manning the x-ray machine, and found the money.

Thanat initially denied the charge but the incident was captured on a security camera at the spot.

He allegedly admitted that he wanted money to return to his home province as he found the work too tough. He has been hired for less than a month.

Kittipong Kittikhchorn, deputy director of the airport, said he had summoned an executive of the private security firm and warned the company to be more careful in selecting staff.

Kittipong said the airport’s security measures meet international standards and what happened was an issue related to an individual.

The deputy director said the tourist had left on a plane before the matter was resolved, so the money would be wired to him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30342425

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-04
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

Kittipong Kittikhchorn, deputy director of the airport, said he had summoned an executive of the private security firm and warned the company to be more careful in selecting staff.

Kittipong said the airport’s security measures meet international standards and what happened was an issue related to an individual.

So if it was because of the actions of an 'individual' thieving employee, why did he bother to bother the "executive of the private security firm" with a summons?

I wonder who awarded the contract to the "private security firm"?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

That about sums up half of them

Might not be the best paying but I'm sure it beats the labouring job back home in the sun

Yep, seems its easy to attain the title "security officer" these days!

Suvarnabhumi airport ‘s baggage scanning worker arrested for stealing passenger’s cash

By Thai PBS

baggage-scanning-worker.jpg

Police yesterday (Apr 3) arrested a baggage scanning worker for stealing 6,000 baht in cash from an 89-year-old American passenger on Wednesday night at Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

The worker employed by a private company handling carry-on baggage security check at the airport was identified as Thanat.

The arrest came after the passenger lodged complaint with the airport’s security guards that his Thai currency banknotes amounted to 6,000 baht went missing from his baggage a few minutes after it went through the X-ray scanner at the departure lounge.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suvarnabhumi-airport-s-baggage-scanning-worker-arrested-stealing-passengers-cash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-04

There was an incident a few weeks back that prompted a statement by airport authorities notifying  the security companies to improve screening by security guards with warning that repeated thefts by its guards could result in losing their concession contract in the future.

Of course nothing will happen even after this latest incident. The security companies are safe in the knowledge their concession contracts would never be cancelled because of the related complex distribution lists. It was only a contrived warning intended to cover their own asses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

That about sums up half of them

Might not be the best paying but I'm sure it beats the labouring job back home in the sun

Couldn't even last a month

Needs a job at the supermarket, where he can hide in among the merchandise  pretending to be busy while actually  playing on his phone. 

No concept of 'hard work'... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

It would seem over the past few months that several individuals have been involved. Nothing tarnishes the national reputation more than being ripped off at the airport. 

Being ripped off at the nation's largest airport is bad. But to be ripped off by the airport security personnel? ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Don't be so quick to slag off Thailand about airport theft.

Heathrow, was known as 'Theifrow' for years.

Yes ,,, but and a big but,

this happened at security not at baggage handling.

A very big security issue

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Months back I read a posting on a community webboard about this (not TV).

Now well out of sight, before approaching the x ray machines, I take all the cash out of my wallet and push it down deep inside one of my pants pockets. 

Go through the X ray machine and move away a bit, find somewhere a bit secluded, check nobody is looking and return the cash to my wallet.  If needed go into a toilet cubicle and return the cash to the wallet.

I have been doing that for years. Notes not coins.

They have been stealing banknotes out of hand luggage in the x-ray machine for years. I don't know about this case but in the past it was definitely organised and went up the chain to supervisor level.

• Like 1

Scanning luggage was too TOUGH for him...

Well to a certain extend I would blame the Security Company for hiring a lazy guy who is obviously even after 6 month on the job too damn stupid to know that he is under CCTV.

I wouldn't hire a moron like him to be a doorman of a nail studio.

• Like 1