SURVEY: The Royal Wedding -- did you watch or not?

Scott

SURVEY: The Royal Wedding -- did you watch or not?  

295 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Nobody actually reads posts.

The Queen always comes out top of the most respected woman in the world .

The Royals are more popular than ever - the republican movement is microscopic.

The concept that they cost the taxpayers vast amounts of money is flawed 

Explain - how much do they cost? 

If Trump a wonderful president ( that is the sort of thing the republicans think we should have instead of the Monarchy)  comes to London on a state visit - the costs will be far greater . Rather wonderfully in the UK we can go out on the streets and protest - he won’t do it . 

Will you all be up in arms - out on the streets whinging about new hospitals?

I think not .  

I have no interest in what in Trump did or didn't do, I just don't believe there is any need for Royalty in any country.

This is called freedom of speech.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lanista said:

I didnt know they were getting married till i saw a news bite yesterday arvo  but i had an early night so tragically missed it.

I bet the UK government  had that Russian  dissident released from Salisbury hospital  to coincide with the wedding. Great distraction.

Bo Jo and May basically lied through their corroded teeth .

Where's the Russian now?

Sounds like you are sorry that he didn't die - strange attitude.

• Like 1

There always seems to be this strange attitude whenever money is spent on any public event/project (see Apollo, etc)  that the money should not be spent until world poverty/disease has been eradicated. On that logic, no-one should be allowed any discretionary expenditure until the same ends have been achieve - any volunteers ?

Similarly, in the UK, the naysayers following the news (on an event that they allegedly had no interest in) were bleating about how much coverge it was getting and what about the Cuban air crash ? Quite bizarre. The only slightly amusing story from the anti-monarchy scene yesterday was that there was a convention of the Alliance of European Republican Movements held in London - 130 people turned up....

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/anti-royal-wedding-party-republicans-dream-monarchy-180519184649584.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was golfing then had a few beers at the 19th hole. Actually didn’t even realise they got married till I seen this post. Although even if I did I wouldn’t have watched it. Some family members in the UK watched it though. Good luck to them both. Harry comes across as a mans man and one of the boys. 

Edited by Tongjaw
Spelling mistake

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

No. No interest to me whatsoever apart from the conservative estimate of 30 million security money for the day the British tax payer has to find from somewhere. ().

Why not: "Please don't say all the extra tourism will pay for it there's a good lad" ?? 

I think the British will wish, they have every year such a low cost possibility to attrack so much tourism.

But I presume you OR are jealous OR cannot calculate and think OR a combination of all.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

The millions of pounds spent for this wedding could have just about built a new hospital. Royals are a dying race, time to move on and stop wasting endless amounts of taxpayers money for people who are mere figureheads for a country.

The VAT over the £ 500 million in additional turnover in the U.K, is already more as the total cost of that wedding. What extra tourists brougth in even a multifold of that amount.

But.. probably you did not learn that a small investment could be needed to gain a lot more ?

A Dutch old saying ( proverb) says: you have to throw out a small fish to catch a big one..

8 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

The VAT over the £ 500 million in additional turnover in the U.K, is already more as the total cost of that wedding. What extra tourists brougth in even a multifold of that amount.

But.. probably you did not learn that a small investment could be needed to gain a lot more ?

A Dutch old saying ( proverb) says: you have to throw out a small fish to catch a big one..

Heck , they should have one of those every week then! It can be something like the The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Edited by sirineou

I watched some video clips of the highlights. It was cool but I am wondering why there is such a big deal about the marriage of someone that will obviously never be a King. Yes, I get the history with Diana (will never forget that, I was in London during the mourning period) and I get the marrying a bi-racial American actress novelty, but still, he's not really up there in the rankings. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I didn't even realise she was half black till the media started screaming about how wonderful and modern it was for Harry to love a "black" woman.

I have seen many light till even dark brown persons, but NEVER a black one.

Even the mother of the bride has a middle-light brown skin. So  ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Megan was a brilliant actor in suits so the question is ..was this all a big act? I find it hard to believe that any normal person would be grinning ear to ear in every public appearance unless harry has it dangling near his knees :whistling:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jakethepeg said:

Megan was a brilliant actor in suits so the question is ..was this all a big act? I find it hard to believe that any normal person would be grinning ear to ear in every public appearance unless harry has it dangling near his knees :whistling:

Does it matter?!? 

Of course it's partly an act. We all act in real life. She's a pro. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I watched and enjoyed it.  I like the tv show 'Suits' so it was fun to see the actors from the show in attendance.  Beautiful day, beautiful pageantry, beautiful ceremony--except for the long-winded fellow American.  I don't need a long sermon at a wedding.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Those that enjoyed it, are neutral, are ambivalent or don't care either way, fair play, and these folks are in the majority.....no big deal. Those that are haters....well, don't let it make you lose sleep over or screw with your mental flux, as that would be foolish as it's not going away anything soon, let it be and deal with it because stuff in this world is never quite how you like/want it. 

• Like 2

Do we have to pay for the divorce too?  (collectively I mean since I'm no longer resident).  Will it be televised to give our commoners something to gossip about?

I left there 12 years ago and didn't care about them then, and nothing changed in that sense.  I have a handful of friends in UK that are way more important to me than this. 

"Never mind the...".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Much the same with me.  I am an American who has never visited England so I enjoyed seeing parts of Windsor Castle and the town.  Watching that beautiful antique car, and the horse-drawn carriage, which seemed to be quite a handful, was worth it alone.  I thought the music was beautiful and it was interesting to see the mix of guests invited.  I much admired Princess Diana so it was also enjoyable to see her youngest son marry and watch some history.  

If you can visit - the UK like anywhere has some good points and some bad. 

However there is no else quite like it - you can wander past castles etc with over a thousand years of history . The countryside has a quiet beauty - you can potter into a Saxon church - even a small village might have a Norman church - again going back to the 11th century . 

It’s that history and the knowledge of all the monarchs that we learn about as kids - it makes us who we are in a very small island. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, vogie said:

When they freeze their oap pensions, yet can afford to fork out £60 million of tax payers money for this charade it sorta leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

I don;t believe Harry has much to do  with pensions, it is covered by parliament. 

Kensington Palace paid for the core wedding, but taxpayers would have covered the security which was substantial. The people wanted to attend and wanted it to be available to the public .

I am sure it brought a lot of tourism to the country too.

A drop in the ocean compared to what the taxpayer has to pay into the EU.

• Like 2