Honda Monkey - a Bargian

bkmbkk

I wouldn't pay 25k THB for that.  They are rolling status symbols and bling-bling for the new generations.  Relatively useless as a motorcycle imho.  So she paid a lot of money for the glitz.  Sorry man.  I feel your pain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bandito said:

I too see it as bragging.

A single picture of that contraption should have been enough.

You saw an oppurtunity to show off your BMW and all your motorcycles.

Look at my possesions, this is called bragging.

We are not looking especially at a motorcycle forum as we get the TVF newsletter in the mail.

Paying Baht 115,000- for that thing is also bragging.

I see - so I should have taken the Monkey out of the driveway and taken a pic of it somewhere where I must make sure there are no other vehicles. 

Than you could feel comfortable I just used my last savings on her new bike.

What had happened if I caught a Ducati in the background by mistake ?

Is my dogs arse also considered bragging in some weird way ? - I also have a dog.

Sorry that TV fills your mail box with this off time waste. 

That explain why I should not post pic in a dedicated bike forum.

The money spent on the Monkey now really feels like bragging.

Yet I may not even be my money spent on it - now what ?

I'm still confused.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, connda said:

I wouldn't pay 25k THB for that.  They are rolling status symbols and bling-bling for the new generations.  Relatively useless as a motorcycle imho.  So she paid a lot of money for the glitz.  Sorry man.  I feel your pain.

I agree  - I would not myself have bought it at that price

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

You might not need to cry, some of those Monkey bikes are very rare and very collectable, you need to check it out as I do not know that much about them - Get the frame and engine numbers and do a search, you might be surprised.

I haven't checked the story about this new Monkey.

I do know it has nothing to do with the original one that was smaller / different in many ways.

I am told  only 5000 pcs are made, and no more will be made, but I have no idea weather that is fact or not.

If it is true this bike may not loose as much in value as other bikes.

Big deal.  For my first motorbike in Thailand, a 2nd hand Honda Click, I actually paid 120k THB.

Sounds too stupid, I know, please listen to the whole story.

Bought a 2nd hand Hyundai which gave me a lot of headache and problems, so finally I was happy to trade that crappy car for a Honda Click. The Click is still in my posession, 40+ thousand kms on the clock and running like a charm, reminding me of my mistake of buying such a lousy car. ?

26 minutes ago, bkmbkk said:

I do know it has nothing to do with the original one that was smaller / different in many ways.

I am told  only 5000 pcs are made, and no more will be made, but I have no idea weather that is fact or not.

Best to keep it in your living room for decoration and a good laugh.

It all depends ....

If the 115,000 baht is your money, then have a good laugh for being such a gullible foreigner.
If the 115,000 baht is her money, then start to cry as soon she will be asking money from you....

Wow, there are so many jealous/bitter people in this thread... guys this is about the Honda Monkey, a fun little bike. Don't read so much into the OPs post...

32 minutes ago, papa al said:

Is this Monkey bike a new model?

The Honda Monkey of course is an old classic but this one is a new iteration of it announced in 2017: http://www.hondaprokevin.com/honda-monkey-125-concept-motorcycle-mini-trail-bike-vintage-retro

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bkmbkk said:

Rest assured they will make more of them if there is money to be made from the gullible.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:05 PM, bkmbkk said:

Just realized my dog is showing his asx over the front fender - I"m sure of his opinion.

Maybe you should find a new girlfriend! I wouldn't pay 20k for that ........

7 hours ago, naboo said:

Give the OP a break. He's got some money, but this thread isn't about that. This could have been an interesting discussion about Honda's new show pony, but you're all so jealous it's not happened.

You understand the thread - so does most of the guys reading here I'm sure.

There are a few sour grapes. but they should not be allowed to destroy a otherwise good forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

I quite like it.  Would I pay that; maybe if I was going to get a return on it. 

Can I afford it? 

Yes,  but I don't own a Monkey to ride it.  I am a large guy and my wife is larger and my brother-in-law is way larger again at 120kg. My Father-in-law would look great on it but coming home Mao Mak Mak with a gik on the back would not go down well with Mum. 

In Thailand,  we collect things.  We have seven bikes at home;  selling three this week to buy a new bigger  bike.  Just painted the Mazda Ute bright hot lipstick pink (she was my wife's first car) an will look a real right turd in that.

Thailand is a great place to collect stuff. No need to be jealous as many of the people here have worked very hard to get what they have and spend it on what they want.  

Amen.

I may add many of us still work hard,

Your Father in law can ride it .but forget the chick on the back .with or without Mum waiting to greet him - there are not much space on the seat and no rear foot rests.

• Like 2

I think this new Monkey bike is cool. I liked the original and almost bought one a couple of years before I came here. I was quite surprised it was 99,000 Baht though considering it's based on the 70,000 Baht MSX but if people like it and have the money then why not? Unless you're a giant these little bikes are fine for popping up the shops or the local noodle shop for a bite to eat. You can do longer trips on them as well - at Songkran I rode my old 2007 KSR from Bangkok to Korat to beat the traffic and it was fine, quite enjoyed the trip actually. Left early, took the back roads, stopped once for gas and did it in around 4.5 hours.

I don't think they're limiting numbers of this Monkey though. I think they'll make as many as they can sell so I wouldn't expect them to hold their value much more than anything else. I think the OP's gf paid more because they've just been released and the dealers probably can't get that many. Once supply catches up with demand then I'd expect to pay RRP. Happens a lot when new scooters are released etc. People pay extra because they don't want to wait or they want to be the only person who has one for a couple of months. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bkmbkk said:

Time will tell regarding sales numbers / prices.

What is based on the MXS  ?

I see 2 different bikes.

Ok maybe fork but what else ?

Engine, forks, wheels, brakes, frame all look the same to me. I'd imagine the electrics, switch gear etc. are the same. It's basically the MSX with a different subframe with a Monkey seat, swingarm and twin shocks.

Looks more premium so I'd expect 10-15k more but 30k more was a bit much IMO. Nice bike though.

This makes me feel better about myself considering the Stallion 400. I need a get around bike till I buy my Triumph.

I bet the Monkey is a blast, if value isn't a concern I recommend laughing.

You've got a beemer for christ sakes.........laugh.....definitely laugh. 

Edited by EVENKEEL

I got the chance to see one in the flesh and sit on it today as I went to Bigwing Phuket to check on a part I ordered and they happened to have a Monkey in the showroom. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It looks great in the flesh and actually was very comfy to sit on (the seat is huge and super soft). I think it was much better to sit on than the MSX because there it feels more cramped and my knees are in a bad spot re the tank/fairing. No issue with that on the Monkey. Fit'n'finish was pretty decent, much better than the usual scooter though with a bit more effort it could have been really really nice. The price was 99k so no surcharge like they gave the OPs wife and the staff also wasn't aware that the bike would be on limited production so not sure if the other dealer just pulled a stunt with that.

Unfortunately the usability is really really limited as the seat is just a tad bit too small to fit two people, what a bummer! Otherwise I would have put it on the list of things to consider as a fun run-around. BTW for falangs you'd definitely have to swap out the suspension or at least springs, they were way way too soft for me. They didn't have test rides unfortunately.