Best cheap physical Anti-Theft device for older pickup ?

Dear fellow Thaivisa.com posters,

I am wondering ;

What would be the best cheap physical Anti-Theft device for an older pickup ?

I saw in a discount shop an Anti-Theft device which is a Clamp System that goes around 1 wheel only ;

I sells for around THB 700, .... I think    8-)

Thanking u all in advance for ur recommendations & cautions.

Our Man in the Tropics

i was just going to suggest that system,

but it may not be practical if you use the pickup daily.

another thing you can do is to re-rout ignition cable to a button on the panel

that you have to flip on in order to start the engine,

perhaps in coordination with a horn for not doing it for extra oomph

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

i was just going to suggest that system,

but it may not be practical if you use the pickup daily.

another thing you can do is to re-rout ignition cable to a button on the panel

that you have to flip on in order to start the engine,

perhaps in coordination with a horn for not doing it for extra oomph

I would need to get auto-electric technician for that ;

Must be careful about modifying the auto-electrics ;

Lest fire etc.

But, yes, I should get some immobiliser & tracker system anyway.

I do not understand what u mean about the horn part of the system which u propose ;

Perhaps u can elaborate.

Regards,

54 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

I would need to get auto-electric technician for that ;

Must be careful about modifying the auto-electrics ;

Lest fire etc.

But, yes, I should get some immobiliser & tracker system anyway.

I do not understand what u mean about the horn part of the system which u propose ;

Perhaps u can elaborate.

Regards,

i meant a signal goes off if the start sequence is not adhered to,

yes, i didnt refer to a mechanic cause it sounded like you wanted a DIY solution

for price

53 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i meant a signal goes off if the start sequence is not adhered to,

yes, i didnt refer to a mechanic cause it sounded like you wanted a DIY solution

for price

Good thinking with both points.

Yes, initially, I want DIY solution :

I must get something DIY pending the Auto-Elec work.

How to disable the Signal / Alert / Alarm when it activates ?

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

12 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Looks smart !

Where available for purchase in Thailand ?

How many THB ?

If your search in a local car part shop/workshop fails, you can resort to the unavoidable lazada online shipment.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gcl04-white-i9669325-s12118459.html

"hot deal" 249 Baht from 790.

Other online shops also show original prices of about 800 Baht (seems a bit expensive for such).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

If your search in a local car part shop/workshop fails, you can resort to the unavoidable lazada online shipment.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gcl04-white-i9669325-s12118459.html

"hot deal" 249 Baht from 790.

Other online shops also show original prices of about 800 Baht (seems a bit expensive for such).

Many thanks,

I only found ur post now.

I will order this item from Lazada.

And, I am still interested in all else which gets posted.

Cheers.

have a  hidden on/off switch fitted inside the cab of the car spliced into to the power wire to the fuel pump..the car will still crank when the switch is in the off position but with no fuel going to the engine it will not start..had one fitted to my old banger cost 500 baht

Edited by johnnyonesock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnyonesock said:

have a  hidden on/off switch fitted inside the cab of the car spliced into to the power wire to the fuel pump..the car will still crank when the switch is in the off position but with no fuel going to the engine it will not start..had one fitted to my old banger cost 500 baht

So you come back to your car which has not been stolen, and the would-be thieves have left you with a flat battery.

• Like 1

Just curious, not trying to be a jerk, but where in Thailand would one desire anti-theft devices for your car or motorbike?

In Chiang Rai, I'd never worry about bars on house windows, car alarms or anti-theft devices.

I lock my bicycle up as I've heard of a couple bikes gone missing, but no concern about vehicles or house.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Just curious, not trying to be a jerk, but where in Thailand would one desire anti-theft devices for your car or motorbike?

In Chiang Rai, I'd never worry about bars on house windows, car alarms or anti-theft devices.

I lock my bicycle up as I've heard of a couple bikes gone missing, but no concern about vehicles or house.

3 thieves tried to steal my neighbors ole scooter,

only reason they decided to leave it behind was i came out with a baseball bat

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Everywhere ;

Many thieves travel around the country to steal motorcycles & cars & pickups.

Thieves also break into bedrooms even though they know a couple are sleeping there.

My first thought also was baseball bat..., but easiest is a Cut-out switch (but I would not have it so it flattens the battery -?)

With the switch in operation ignition feed is dead, flip switch on and away you go - easy. 

But an alarm is so cheap and easy to install these days on an old banger so just fit one of them with full enclosure and various pin options (covers different on/off protection on auxiliary items) or if you are a real tight ass just pop the hood and pull ignition coil lead lol... thats free!

22 minutes ago, Lokie said:

My first thought also was baseball bat..., but easiest is a Cut-out switch (but I would not have it so it flattens the battery -?)

With the switch in operation ignition feed is dead, flip switch on and away you go - easy. 

But an alarm is so cheap and easy to install these days on an old banger so just fit one of them with full enclosure and various pin options (covers different on/off protection on auxiliary items) or if you are a real tight ass just pop the hood and pull ignition coil lead lol... thats free!

I will seriously consider ur "Cheap Charlie" suggestion ;

But, given that everything is watched in Thailand,- I expect the likes of :

"What is that Falang doing over there under his pickup's hood ?"

"Oh, he must be pulling the ignition coil lead from would-be thief"

And, so each out-of-kilter action by a Falang becomes legendary ... 8-)

Still, I like this line of thinking ;

But, I need a discreet & durable versus "wear-&-tear" solution.

Anyway, I expect were my vehicle more modern that pulling that very cable would upset the Computer Management System [ or whatever it is called ] of the vehicle, & result in costly remedy.

But, as far as I know, my vehicle has very very little computer features ;

ABS ; Yes

Although it not working presently ;

I awaiting a replacement used sensor for rear of vehicle.

Various products (or ideas) here:  http://store.winner-intl.com/automotive-c8.aspx

Wheel locks, steering wheel locks, pedal-to-steering wheel locks, etc. Some could be easily made with a couple padlocks and some chain and/or pipe.

Heard of one guy who put a number of small toggle switches on the dash of his MG sportscar.  He had them wired in series but randomly oriented up/down.  One had to know the proper sequence, such as up-down-up-up-down. Could be wired to the ignition and/or fuel pump or in-line with whatever fuses would prevent the vehicle from starting or running.

You could easily add on a switch that routes power from the starter to the horn.  Wire it in parallel with the existing horn circuit.  Switch on, honks the horn whenever the starter is engaged.  Switch off, horn works like normal. Or you could wire it from most any other accessory circuit that is live when the ignition is on if it has power enough for the horn.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Everywhere ;

Many thieves travel around the country to steal motorcycles & cars & pickups.

Thieves also break into bedrooms even though they know a couple are sleeping there.

The reason for my post was I've never heard anyone's car or home being broken into in my area of Thailand.

15 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

I will seriously consider ur "Cheap Charlie" suggestion ;

But, given that everything is watched in Thailand,- I expect the likes of :

"What is that Falang doing over there under his pickup's hood ?"

"Oh, he must be pulling the ignition coil lead from would-be thief"

And, so each out-of-kilter action by a Falang becomes legendary ... 8-)

Still, I like this line of thinking ;

But, I need a discreet & durable versus "wear-&-tear" solution.

Anyway, I expect were my vehicle more modern that pulling that very cable would upset the Computer Management System [ or whatever it is called ] of the vehicle, & result in costly remedy.

But, as far as I know, my vehicle has very very little computer features ;

ABS ; Yes

Although it not working presently ;

I awaiting a replacement used sensor for rear of vehicle.

Then answer is a hidden (under dash/panel) simple two way cut  out switch wired to the ignition feed about 100 Baht max and 20  ins to fit

• Like 1

Many moons back I fitted a key switch behind the fuel filler flap. I cut into the relay feed wire to the starter motor. Yes I did have to run wires through the car to the switch which took a couple of hours but l thought it was a good deterrent that was never tried..

• Like 1

I created a great anti theft device when I was in England. Total cost 20 baht.

I cut the wire between the ignition and the starter and fitted an in-line fuse. When I parked the car, I opened the bonnet and simply took out the in-line fuse, hence unable to start the vehicle. When ready to proceed again, just reverse the process.

in line fuse.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, grkt said:

Car GPS costs $20 and anyway you won't stop anyone to steal your car if they really want, so amything else is useless.

I would not consider anything that will slow down thieves as useless.

What good is your GPS alone going to do if thieves have your car for a few hours before you discover its missing? You might get your car body back but missing a few items like drivetrain, interior, wheels & tires, body parts.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I created a great anti theft device when I was in England. Total cost 20 baht.

I cut the wire between the ignition and the starter and fitted an in-line fuse. When I parked the car, I opened the bonnet and simply took out the in-line fuse, hence unable to start the vehicle. When ready to proceed again, just reverse the process.

in line fuse.jpg

Very convenient ?