Buying a small car advice

I'm looking at buying a small car (mostly looking at new).

Top two choices are Toyota Yaris and Mazda 2. But I'm also look at the Honda Jazz, Nissan Note, and maybe the MG3 (not so sure about the brand) and Ford Fiesta.  I've driven the 1st three. The Mazda drives wonderfully but it's smaller than the others. The Yaris is fine but it doesn't have a lot of power. Larger cars are out of my budget. Jazz has this eco mode that reduces power to the engine and the engine shutoff at stoplights that I can't stand, unless it can all be disabled. I'd be driving in Bangkok on weekends and also out of the city on weekends.

If you know a lot about cars, what is your opinion on these particular models?

Additional questions:

How are the reputations of these companies in Thailand, especially Toyota and Mazda?

How is the service that the dealerships provide for new cars? Toyota salesman was trying to tell me that the quality of service provided by Mazda was not so good.  Not sure if this was a sales tactic or if he was speaking from experience.

What about the roadside assistance by these companies? Are they reliable? Do they offer good English support?

How negotiable is price here? I have read it's not really negotiable but the Mazda salesman was willing to come down on price a bit for a higher trim level. I didn't ask the others for any discounts because I assumed that they would throw in extras but not provide discounts.

Are there any particular dealerships that are better than others?

If I get a "non-standard" color (Yaris comes in green and orange, for example), will I have a harder time selling it in a few years? Should I stick with grey/white/black if I want to sell it in 2-4 years?

Thanks

If you are thinking in resale a few years down the line, get the color that would appeal to most people .

All of the above Car makes are fine and I would buy any of them. As far as power is concerned, it all depends on your driving style and age.

When I was younger and testosterone driven, power was important to me, now that I am older . Not so much! 

I recently purchased a Mitsubishi Mirage. When we left Thailand we sold our Chevy Colorado (big mistake)  we ended coming back to Thailand often, and renting which quickly became a hussle and expensive. So we decided to buy an inexpensive car to leave here for when we come. 

A family friend owns a  used car lot in KK and told as she had Michu. mirage that was a good deal, 2014 only 30K on the clock, clean like new.  I was concerned about the small 1.2L engine (never had a car with such small engine).

Long story short. LOVE IT for around towne, even went on some long trips. When we come back to Thailand full time (spring 2019) we are planning to get the new a Ford Everest , I suspect the ladies in the house will prefer driving the Mitsubishi around town.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If you are thinking in resale a few years down the line, get the color that would appeal to most people .

All of the above Car makes are fine and I would buy any of them. As far as power is concerned, it all depends on your driving style and age.

When I was younger and testosterone driven, power was important to me, now that I am older . Not so much! 

I recently purchased a Mitsubishi Mirage. When we left Thailand we sold our Chevy Colorado (big mistake)  we ended coming back to Thailand often, and renting which quickly became a hussle and expensive. So we decided to buy an inexpensive car to leave here for when we come. 

A family friend owns a  used car lot in KK and told as she had Michu. mirage that was a good deal, 2014 only 30K on the clock, clean like new.  I was concerned about the small 1.2L engine (never had a car with such small engine).

Long story short. LOVE IT for around towne, even went on some long trips. When we come back to Thailand full time (spring 2019) we are planning to get the new a Ford Everest , I suspect the ladies in the house will prefer driving the Mitsubishi around town.

Thanks for your input. I'm really only concerned about power for highway driving and in the mountains. I rented something small the last time I was in Chiang Mai, I believe it was a Yaris, and it was struggling up the steep mountain roads even in lowest gear. Of course I won't be very much mountain driving, maybe weekends in Khao Yai or something or a longer road trip to the north.

I would think white/grey/silver/black will appeal to the most people here in Thailand, yeh?

2 minutes ago, Madgee said:

Check out the new model 2018 Suzuki Swift ………….. A very nice little car with a deceptive amount of room inside.

Thanks! I'll add it to my list! I'm in no rush, checking out a few cars each weekend.  How does the size compare to the Mazda 2? I thought it was more of a Honda Brio/Nissan March size, which is a bit smaller than I want.

1 minute ago, emgthailand said:

Thanks for your input. I'm really only concerned about power for highway driving and in the mountains. I rented something small the last time I was in Chiang Mai, I believe it was a Yaris, and it was struggling up the steep mountain roads even in lowest gear. Of course I won't be very much mountain driving, maybe weekends in Khao Yai or something or a longer road trip to the north.

I would think white/grey/silver/black will appeal to the most people here in Thailand, yeh?

I Have not driven on mountains  but we went to the Khon Kaen zoo and water park which is on top a a very steep hill, and indeed it was slow go with four adults in the car, but we had no problem getting to the top and the road was such that you could not go fast anyway.

So the question is how much mountain road driving you will be doing,  

and is it worth the investment on a bigger engine?

We were fine in the Highway. No problem going as fast as you want.

We drove to Nong Khai which is a three hour trip from Khon Kaen again with four adults in the car  and we were cruising at 120K effortlessly. we could have gone faster, but 120k was fine for as. 

You are right about the colors, Any car I ever bought was those colors.

The Misubusi  is blue but it was such a good deal and we never plan to sell it, when we come back and buy the Ford we will simply let her sister drive it when we don't need it (our houses are next to each other.)

Lovely girl, we love her to death, as it is she drives it more than we do anyway LOL (she has an old Nissan Sunny, indestructible car, but I wouldn't trust it for long hauls)

22 minutes ago, rhodie said:

All the small cars go well and not much difference in the end, unless you are unlucky.

There was a recent anger from Ford owners on auto gearbox problems in their Fiesta. Maybe check it out.  But best of all I like this from rhodie;

All politicians should serve only two terms, one term in office and one term in jail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

^^^^

PS: when you decide in a car, before you buy it,see if you can rent a similar car for a couple of days.

I've rented a lot, and it's always a Yaris, a Vios, a Honda City, and occasionally a Jazz.  I don't know of rental agencies which offer other car brands. I stick with the big ones - mostly Hertz, occasionally Avis. Thai-rent-a-car in Phuket.

2 hours ago, rhodie said:

Toyota or Honda, white or black. You won't look back. And auto only. Best resale. But, up to you. Choose what you like. All the small cars go well and not much difference in the end, unless you are unlucky.

Thanks for your input. Sounds like everywhere else, Toyota and Honda always have the best resale value ?

• Like 2

I think Toyota and Honda win the reliability and Service thing.

For the get up and go, perhaps spend a few ours on the PC and look up HP/TQ of each ride and their 0-60 times, not saying you want a quick car but it will give you an indication of usable power. All the info is out there..:stoner:

Yaris has a small boot (trunk). Fiesta has a less than good rep. for its auto box and many poor service stories in Thailand.

Owned a modern Fiesta in another country, ECO 1.1 engine and manual box. Went up our mountains fine but could be sluggish on the motorway fully laden, overtaking uphill while heavy was a non event at those speeds.

Jazz has the largest boot, a deciding factor for me but maybe your needs differ.

For resale, black, silver, White and an auto box.

If a pick-up floats your boat you get better value, the lower ones in the range are similarly priced, lower tax etc.

I was sitting in the Toyota garage for a service and had a look at the Yaris Ativ - looks a lot bigger than the old Yaris -( not a small boot at all)- was most impressed - also Toyota seemed to have upped their safety features- you get some of the new electronics and seven air bags - much better than Honda or Mazda ( although I am a total Mazda fan as they drive well- swapped  my 2 for a CHR Hybrid- which is fantastic)

I just happen to have a price list Yaris Alti - 479,000 to 635,000 .

I don’t go into this colour resale advice - if you planning to own the car for years - why on earth worry. White and silver - so boring. Black metallic can look good. 

Otherwise if you want funky yellow or whatever go for it.  There are many more brightly coloured cars on the road. 

Mazda service was not so good , but so far the Toyota garage seem very professional. 

Not  sure about MG - they are certainly marketing and have scored very well in reliability- but the interiors are truly ghastly and cheap looking . 

Good luck .

13 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I was sitting in the Toyota garage for a service and had a look at the Yaris Ativ - looks a lot bigger than the old Yaris -( not a small boot at all)- was most impressed - also Toyota seemed to have upped their safety features- you get some of the new electronics and seven air bags - much better than Honda or Mazda ( although I am a total Mazda fan as they drive well- swapped  my 2 for a CHR Hybrid- which is fantastic)

I just happen to have a price list Yaris Alti - 479,000 to 635,000 .

I don’t go into this colour resale advice - if you planning to own the car for years - why on earth worry. White and silver - so boring. Black metallic can look good. 

Otherwise if you want funky yellow or whatever go for it.  There are many more brightly coloured cars on the road. 

Mazda service was not so good , but so far the Toyota garage seem very professional. 

Not  sure about MG - they are certainly marketing and have scored very well in reliability- but the interiors are truly ghastly and cheap looking . 

Good luck .

Have the Chinese MG been around long enough to talk about reliability..?

Just now, transam said:

Have the Chinese MG been around long enough to talk about reliability..?

Not sure how many years now?

Was only thinking of those surveys that are published every year back home in the UK- they did well. ( I seem to remember better than BMW !) 

I have not heard they have any problems? I may be wrong . 

5 minutes ago, tonboy said:

Buy a second hand pick-up, 4 cab, 3 liter engine. Keeps its value. Bought an Isuzu D-max a year ago. Fast, reliable, strong and safe. 
Will not see me in one of those small cars here. Not really safe on highways if something happens.

I do tend to agree...Even in her Civic I ain't as happy as in my Vigo 4x4......:stoner:

I have  a 2016 Mazda 2 sedan......very nice car, lots of pep with a auto trans that you can flip to manual in the hills.  Great gas mileage.   Only thing is I'm looking for something bigger like a CRV, X-Trail.  However those will cost more, use more gas, cost more to clean etc.  It would be mainly for crash protection......one of the smaller cars would be smushed by all the pick-ups and SUVs around Thailand.   I can't buy until we sell a house......so am holding on for what I think will be a remake of the X-Trail in 2020.  I really love the new CH-R but the wife hates the styling.   Take a look at it, I think it beats everything in its class right now and has many of the newer electronic features.  also for less than 1 million baht you can get it in a Hybrid.  CH-R has some great color combos unlike Honda where it's white/silver/black......ugh.  Same with Toyota....old style, old colors, old interior.....I wonder what they do with all their profits.  Must have been plowing them into the CH-R .  I did look at the Yaris sedan, the ATIV.  Looks pretty good and could compete with the Mazda......Also I think depending on your likes and dislikes the Honda BRV and Mobilio are interesting......would buy a BR-V if there was a little more class in the interior.  Honda City is boooring and B-in law has one that's two or three years old.  Leather interior is definitely not wearing well.....looks really drab.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonboy said:

Buy a second hand pick-up, 4 cab, 3 liter engine. Keeps its value. Bought an Isuzu D-max a year ago. Fast, reliable, strong and safe. 
Will not see me in one of those small cars here. Not really safe on highways if something happens.

Just because it is larger - does not mean it is safer - D Max only has a **** rating and some scores for child safety and pedestrian safety are  low.

Yaris has a ***** rating . 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Just because it is larger - does not mean it is safer - D Max only has a **** rating and some scores for child safety and pedestrian safety are  low.

Yaris has a ***** rating . 

Your small rides will go under my legs in a side shunt, my ride will take you out in a side shunt..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Oh well - I’m sure you know what they say about guys with big cars .

Never mind the safety testing and ratings .

Big cars have safety ratings too, big cars also have much greater energy force in a collision too....All a matter of Physics..

31 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

So a Vigo Trucks safer than a  Camry, ah well.

yes, the Vigo truck is safer than the Camry. Unlike the old days when all vehicles were built on a full length chassis which gave the vehicles the safety strength in collisions with the heavier weights and the higher fuel use now only your light trucks and some big American and British cars with a very few European cars have the full length chassis now which gives it the strength as all front wheel drive cars have lost that chassis strength because their strength now comes from the pressed metal floor pan which does not have the same strength as a full length chassis. This is the price that you pay for better fuel economy, the lighter the weight of the vehicle the cheaper it is to run. The sacrifice is the strength and safety

• Haha 1