Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

rooster59

15 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I still have no idea as to what the cabinet 'agreement' actually means, when it comes to:-

1) the 'open doors' policy

2) payments to the eu

3) ability to trade with non-eu countries

4) etc. etc.!

So I'm back to sitting on the fence until further information is released.

Hope there's no razor wire or HV up there Dick.

How's Muttley?

• Haha 1

The idea to give the UK a role collecting customs duties for the EU – an idea that has been dismissed as a non-starter.

The untested idea has run into a brick wall of opposition, partly because EU officials do not trust UK authorities. The European commission is taking legal action against the UK, having accused British official of lax customs controls that allowed fake Chinese goods to flood into European markets, losing the EU budget €2.7bn (£2.4bn). The UK border force is asleep at the wheel and it’s going to cost the taxpayer billions.

The new but necessary border control costs will be many times higher than the costs for the entire eu parliament.

• Like 2

Just now, sandyf said:

Only leavers think they have any real significance, the EU will continue irrespective any particular domestic issue. Those that want to see the breakup of a union should be looking closer to home.

Several more assumptions in a bottle with no true message. You really are hopeless.

3 hours ago, tebee said:

I agree it will probably be rejected  by the EU - but May has already compromised and breached her own red lines. The EU have proved themselves much more skilled negotiators than her and I can see them using this to extract still more concessions from her  - - of course if she is still a remainder at heart as you believe, this may be precisely what she wants.

I can't see the hard brexiters getting more support for their position soon and they seem to believe they can't prevale now, so I think they have been neutralized. 

I still think EEA+ CU is likely end result. May does not want to be remembered as the PM that lost one million British jobs, so brexit means brexit may just mean brexit in name only.

Pleased to see the FT  thinks the same too 

https://www.ft.com/content/07013fbe-8120-11e8-8e67-1e1a0846c475

The EEA route was the most obvious option from day one, options now have been severely restricted, almost take what she can get from the EU or take the DC route.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you not use the term "CU shackles", but of course you are perfectly free to deny the implication, will take that as read.

What is really boring is the stream of posts and opinion on the demise of the EU, like some sort of vindication for brexit. People should be more concerned about what is happening to the UK than the other side of the channel.

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Only leavers think they have any real significance, the EU will continue irrespective any particular domestic issue. Those that want to see the breakup of a union should be looking closer to home.

"People should be more concerned about what is happening to the UK than the other side of the channel."

"Only leavers think they have any real significance, the EU will continue irrespective any particular domestic issue."

Why? When I made my voting decision it was based as much on what the UK was moving toward, as what the UK was leaving behind. The federalist movement, the undemocratic, unaccountable, increasingly extreme right wing nature, disregard for the effects of the euro on southern members, unemployment ; In short the direction of travel of the EU to me was/is a major concern not a mere domestic issue as it is for you.

A top Brexiteer lawyer  has examined the document in detail - apparently we are now a vassal state with no power to change EU laws whilst remaining aligned to them. And that's if the EU agrees - anyway all she wants you to do is take away the top line message we are Leaving the EU -so wave your flag at that....

It was produced by Martin Howe QC, a leading barrister and expert in EU law who has delivered around 10 presentations to the ERG over the last two years. His legal opinion is:

https://www.scribd.com/document/383400078/Chequers-Briefing-Memo-draft-02#fullscreen&from_embed

This is his final damning conclusion.....

These proposals therefore lead directly to a worst-of-all-worlds “Black Hole” Brexit where the UK is stuck permanently as a vassal state in the EU’s legal and regulatory tarpit, still has to obey EU laws and ECJ rulings across vast areas, cannot develop an effective international trade policy or adapt our economy to take advantage of the freedom of Brexit, and has lost its vote and treaty vetos rights as an EU Member State

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Ain't it amazing that a lawyer has managed to scrutinise the 100 page document when MP's have not even seen it yet, The best they have seen is a 3 page summary.

Opening line

How does this fit in with

'' Examined the document in detail '' ?

Christ on a bike

Clever people these barristers wouldn't care to argue with one - anyway the full text of the Brexit sell-out will be along shortly - tis a dog's dinner to be sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

A top Brexiteer lawyer  has examined the document in detail - apparently we are now a vassal state with no power to change EU laws whilst remaining aligned to them. And that's if the EU agrees - anyway all she wants you to do is take away the top line message we are Leaving the EU -so wave your flag at that....

It was produced by Martin Howe QC, a leading barrister and expert in EU law who has delivered around 10 presentations to the ERG over the last two years. His legal opinion is:

https://www.scribd.com/document/383400078/Chequers-Briefing-Memo-draft-02#fullscreen&from_embed

This is his final damning conclusion.....

These proposals therefore lead directly to a worst-of-all-worlds “Black Hole” Brexit where the UK is stuck permanently as a vassal state in the EU’s legal and regulatory tarpit, still has to obey EU laws and ECJ rulings across vast areas, cannot develop an effective international trade policy or adapt our economy to take advantage of the freedom of Brexit, and has lost its vote and treaty vetos rights as an EU Member State

One of the 'Project Fear' predictions was that the UK would become an effective 'vassal state' subject to EU law but with no control over EU law. 

This is now dawning on Brexiteers and they act like they discovered it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Davis resigns

The British government is a total shambles ... why? Because despite any small majority in a referendum, Brexit is not a single majority concept, it is a losely combined mish-mash of disparate bigots, thugs and racists who having whipped up a few gullible or dispossessed followers now couldn't even agree on how to order a pizza.

Still waiting to hear something good about Brexit .....

And now Steve Baker too - who is next ?

18 hours ago, aright said:

"People should be more concerned about what is happening to the UK than the other side of the channel."

"Only leavers think they have any real significance, the EU will continue irrespective any particular domestic issue."

Why? When I made my voting decision it was based as much on what the UK was moving toward, as what the UK was leaving behind. The federalist movement, the undemocratic, unaccountable, increasingly extreme right wing nature, disregard for the effects of the euro on southern members, unemployment ; In short the direction of travel of the EU to me was/is a major concern not a mere domestic issue as it is for you.

Feel free to change context. 

You are expressing a personal opinion, my comment was addressed at the barrage of posts we get on other countries problems.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It will be interesting to see who will be next to resign. It just shows that TM has no intention of getting the UK out of the EU and she is a puppet of the EU. Something I was always suspicious of.

Her meeting with Merkel on Thursday tells you all you need to know.

• Like 2

The federalist movement, the undemocratic, unaccountable, increasingly extreme right wing nature, disregard for the effects of the euro on southern members, unemployment

Feel free to change context. 

You are expressing a personal opinion, my comment was addressed at the barrage of posts we get on other countries problems.

So other cross channel countries so called domestic problems shouldn't be raised then because they  aren't an EU problem?

Hopeless! 

Edited by aright
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, aright said:

So other cross channel countries so called domestic problems shouldn't be raised then because they  aren't an EU problem?

Hopeless! 

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

The federalist movement, the undemocratic, unaccountable, increasingly extreme right wing nature, disregard for the effects of the euro on southern members, unemployment

I said no such thing so do not go off at a tangent with misquotes and stop trying to change the context of the original point.

The brexit negotiations will continue with the EU irrespective of the likes of Merkel being there or not so why should the leavers feel there is some obligation to discuss these domestic issues. I remember, they think it is the strongest weapon in their armoury.