Thailand cave rescue: water pumps failed just after last boy escaped

webfact

Thailand cave rescue: water pumps failed just after last boy escaped

Rescuers stationed at ‘chamber three’ say they heard screaming and saw a rush of head torches as workers scrambled for dry ground

Michael Safi in Mae Sai

The rescue operation to free the last of the 12 boys and their football coach from a Thailand cave could have been a disaster, with water pumps draining the area failing just hours after the last boy had been evacuated.

Divers and rescue workers were still more than 1.5km inside the cave clearing up equipment when the main pump failed, leading water levels to rapidly increase, three Australian divers involved in the operation told the Guardian on Wednesday.

The divers, stationed at “chamber three”, a base inside the cave, said they heard screaming and saw a rush of head torches from deeper inside the cave as workers scrambled to reach dry ground.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/11/thailand-cave-rescue-water-pumps-failed-just-after-last-boy-escaped

-- The Guardian 2018-2018-07-11

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the Hollywood version will have the pumps failing before they last group gets out and they will almost drown until the explosive charges go off and seal the water off. :cheesy:

..and Scarlet Johansen & Keano Reeves swim in against the tide and pull everyone to safety..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If the Thai coach is as good as he seems to be he will have contacted a prime A-list Hollywood agent and locked down his lads and families to exclusive rights with bidding starting in the million ... dollars not baht.

sphell change

Edited by keeniau96
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Surely there was more than one large pump in operation and unlikely that they would all fail.

Some somchai probably heard that the last boys & coach were out and simply turned off the pumps/generators.... Saying "failure" is the way to save face.

My thoughts, too.

Now about Hollywood: Most likely the British will be played by Chris Hemsworth, Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Daniel Craig, Tom Hiddleston, Michael Fassbender, Jason Statham or Taron Egerton. And the Thai Governer will be Anthony Hopkins, cause he can play anybody. Screen play by Jeffrey Archer, a great storyteller. But Dwayne Johnson, Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis cannot be counted out. ?????

And, yes, I tried to find a lot of Australians.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
needed one more line

5 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My thoughts, too.

Now about Hollywood: Most likely the British will be played by Chris Hemsworth, Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Daniel Craig, Tom Hiddleston, Michael Fassbender, Jason Statham or Taron Egerton. And the Thai Governer will be Anthony Hopkins, cause he can play anybody. Screen play by Jeffrey Archer, a great storyteller. But Dwayne Johnson, Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis cannot be counted out. ?????

And, yes, I tried to find a lot of Australians.

i heard morgan freeman was going to play the governer

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, steve73 said:

But who will get to play Sheryl - the always awake TVF moderator keeping the treads updated and free from too much off-topic nonsense.  Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren perhaps.

Has to be Dame Helen Mitten 

Edited by DaveE13
Spelling

10 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i heard morgan freeman was going to play the governer

I thought about him... No surprise if he is or maybe Jackie Chan. I wonder where the Asians will come from that will play the Thai Seals.

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

But who will get to play Sheryl - the always awake TVF moderator keeping the treads updated and free from too much off-topic nonsense.  Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren perhaps.

And spots for her grandchildren too please. And quick cameos for her roofing advisers, I'm sure they can be woven into the story.

Edited by scorecard

50 minutes ago, Bezdomny said:

Who will play twittering mr. president? There will be for sure scene where Americans are saving the world. 555. And roadmap general? ?

Well the potus owns the cameras and the show (so he obviously believes) and sees himself as producer and director, therefore entitled to change the story, add dramatic effect at his whim and change the numbers / data to suit his own agenda, therefore automatically it will be his production with him and his scaly family in all lead roles. Done.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the Hollywood version will have the pumps failing before they last group gets out and they will almost drown until the explosive charges go off and seal the water off. :cheesy:

Cant even imagine the "Bollywood" version….

Edited by ttrd
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Cant even imagine the "Bollywood" verson….

I can, lots of underwater, then helicopter then hospital dancing sequences with arms folded under chins and up and down and sideways head nodding (always confusing). Along with animated air bottles doing the same thing. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

It certainly will make a great movie - and it's a golden opportunity for all the key characters involved, as each of them will have their own story/account to give of the ordeal.

The script certainly needs to be written by an excellent writer  - my guess is that it will be a collaborative effort between a Thai writer and an established screenwriter from the west.

The great thing is that the story can build and pivot from the point of view of any one of the main characters - The Coach - one of the boys or even one of the divers.

Then you've got the lore of the cave itself - stretching back as far as time itself. The reclining "malevolent?" lady - have previous lives been lost etc? What's the history of the monks caves - and the naming of particular points in the cave system.

You've got the stories of the Brit divers and previous extractions, you've got the tragic Thai Navy Seal, and then you've got the governor being transferred in the middle of it, you've got the religious aspect as well - some of the boys being christian and others buddhist etc etc. 

And of course - this all happened slap bang in the middle of the 2018 World Cup - to a Junior Thai Football Team!!

LIFE IS STRANGER THAN FICTION!! You really couldn't make this stuff up!!
This event has now become a major part of Thai History.

If it's done well - the film can be a really great work of art, as well as being a brilliant thriller/adventure movie.

I hope the boys get proper legal representation  - because the fact is - their families could be set for generations if it's all handled properly. Hopefully they won't accept a buyout for a couple of million baht each - they need to make sure they sign a contract that covers residuals and publishing/copyright.

Edited by eeworldwide
spelling

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I can, lots of dancing sequences with arms folded under chins and up and down and sideways head nodding (always confusing).

Bollywood seems to have taken it to another Level:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1