Ordination tragedy: Man falls out of pick-up on his way to temple in Buriram

webfact

Ordination tragedy: Man falls out of pick-up on his way to temple in Buriram

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A man on his way to a temple to be ordained into the Buddhist monkhood fell out of the pick-up and died in the street.

Forty five year old Sian Jaisingh was sitting on a plastic chair in the back of the Toyota surrounded by relatives.

But another vehicle cut in front causing driver Narin Biwkaew, 36, to brake sharply in the area of Pho Don Wai school in Krasang sub-district, Muang Buriram Sunday.

Police found Sian dressed in a white shirt and red cloth sarong.He was dead from head injuries.

He was on his way to the temple of Wat Nong Prong when the accident happened on Sunday morning.

Police intend to interview witnesses again to get to the bottom of what happened.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-16

Just maybe, this happened because you are not supposed to sit on a plastic chair at the back of a Toyota pick-up!

At least he is only going to be a little bit late, he will still eventually arrive at the temple. :sorry:

Edited by Get Real
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Just maybe, this happened because you are not supposed to sit on a plastic chair at the back of a Toyota pick-up!

At least he is only going to be a little bit late, he will still eventually arrive at the temple. :sorry:

Normal practice for the would-be monk to sit on a plastic chair whilst the truck goes through the village and the relatives and friends walk behind it.

Possibly in this case the truck was going faster than a walking pace though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Normal practice for the would-be monk to sit on a plastic chair whilst the truck goes through the village and the relatives and friends walk behind it.

Possibly in this case the truck was going faster than a walking pace though.

Oh, thanks! Can you please inform me of some other unique revelation that I might have missed.

Yes, I know it´s standard. That doesn´t make it right, though.

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Oh, thanks! Can you please inform me of some other unique revelation that I might have missed.

Yes, I know it´s standard. That doesn´t make it right, though.

So if you already knew it then why make out that it's a dangerous practice?

3 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Pick-up beds are for goods not people. Many die over Songkran  because they were riding in the back. But nothing will ever change  

You're right. 60+ millions and they're reproducing....

37 minutes ago, nahkit said:

So if you already knew it then why make out that it's a dangerous practice?

Ok, now I get it. You don´t understand that something that is standard to do here, can be a dangerous practice. On the other hand I never said it was a dangerous practice. I just said that sitting on a chair on the back of a pick up might be the reason that he died.
Sorry, I didn´t know that we were separated by such a great barrier of possibility to understand. Have a nice day!

53 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

My mother in law,  sat on a plastic chair in the back of my pick up truck,  I braked sharply 3 or 4 times,  but couldn't get her to fall out. 

Speed hump at high speed should catapult her

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some Thai people must think they are Ironman because they never need to wear a helmet on a motorcycle, or wear a seatbelt.

Thre don’t realize exactly how easy it is to die when they strike their soft heads on a hard road. Even worse they don’t protect their kids from the same fate.

Even cheap Thai helmets are better than nothing, especially if you do the strap up.

It's complete normal practice that the monk to be sits on the back of a pickup on some chair. Plastic chair sounds like a cheap/poor event though.

Usually it's one of the 50 kg+ wooden "thrones".

But whenever I witness such event it is a slow procession with lots of attendants walking behind/in front.

Here obviously a racer at the drivers seat.

It's astonishing that not more such fatalities are reported.

I shake my head when e.g. pickups full with children on the way to a sports competition are racing senselessly  up/down the village road. Irresponsible boneheads.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I wonder how many Thai people would be in the back of pick up trucks if they had another option? 

If there was room in the front cab would they still choose to sit in the open bed of the truck?

As much as I hate to see it I understand when I see  a young couple with children  riding on a motorbike, it's likely done out of necessity.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's complete normal practice that the monk to be sits on the back of a pickup on some chair. Plastic chair sounds like a cheap/poor event though.

Usually it's one of the 50 kg+ wooden "thrones".

But whenever I witness such event it is a slow procession with lots of attendants walking behind/in front.

Here obviously a racer at the drivers seat.

It's astonishing that not more such fatalities are reported.

I shake my head when e.g. pickups full with children on the way to a sports competition are racing senselessly  up/down the village road. Irresponsible boneheads.

Road Safety 1.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I wonder how many Thai people would be in the back of pick up trucks if they had another option? 

If there was room in the front cab would they still choose to sit in the open bed of the truck?

As much as I hate to see it I understand when I see  a young couple with children  riding on a motorbike, it's likely done out of necessity.

My thai family prefer to sit in the back of the pick up rather than the cab with me,  They seem to have a problem with the AC,  even though I don't have it at a low temp. 

56 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

My thai family prefer to sit in the back of the pick up rather than the cab with me,  They seem to have a problem with the AC,  even though I don't have it at a low temp. 

That must be somewhat of a conflict for you having to go along with something you know to be highly unsafe.

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

That must be somewhat of a conflict for you having to go along with something you know to be highly unsafe.

They do a lot of things that are unsafe in my wife's village,  recently they put two 40 gallon drums filled with  petrol in the back of the truck,  they were not secured,  it's a 10 mile drive,  I wasn't happy about driving,  but if I didn't my wife would have,  and I am a much safer driver than her. These things don't sit easy,  especially considering I am an ex firefighter,  but health and safety doesn't exist in Issan