Pattaya banks not stocking USD anymore

Hal65

Was at Big C and none of the 4 branches there had USD. 

I figured okay, I usually go to Central Festival for this. Then proceeded to get turned down by another 6 or 7 branches. First time in 4 years this has happened.

TT exchange was able to serve me though the smallest bill size was $20.

Anyone know why USD is not being stocked, at least in Pattaya banks at major shopping areas?

2 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Anyone know why USD is not being stocked, at least in Pattaya banks at major shopping areas?

Did you check any bank main branches? I imagine there's not a whole lot of forex goes on in the mall branches these days.

Otherwise, I'm with Briggsy on this.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Did you check any bank main branches? I imagine there's not a whole lot of forex goes on in the mall branches these days.

Otherwise, I'm with Briggsy on this.

Bangkok bank has their main pattaya branch in Central Festival. Not sure about the others.

Anyways I'm content not knowing why things seemed to be different (from my perspective) this year. Seems to always be like that in Thailand. If TT exchange has the money then so be it

Edited by Hal65

Branches get foreign notes from tourists and other customers, they keep what they think they can sell and send the rest to head office. If the branches you visited don't have stock it's because nobody is selling it to them, probably because so few tourists are carrying it.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I’ll bite, what do you need small us bills for?

$35 for the visa to Laos and $1 for the "outside preferred work hours" fee

I think they'll be able to break my $40 this year though. 

Edited by Hal65

2 hours ago, mal129 said:

If you are flying or near one, the airports always have plenty of USD. 

A while ago i saw a sign "no euros available" at the Super Rich branch at the airport, so even they can run out of currencies

10 minutes ago, Nice Boyd said:

Even the ATM gave me dollars

Afaik the only ATM giving USD in Thailand is at Suvarnabhumi after passing immigration

I'm back and forth to the US every month or so...... If You are in Pattaya tell me what you want in Private Personal message....... I can help......... I have many $100 bills now just waiting for exchang rates to rise again so if you need 100's I can help now........ PM me.....

1 hour ago, LALes said:

Main branch of Bangkok Bank is on 2nd Road north of Pattaya Klang.

No need to hide the fact: opposite Soi 6 :smile:

Yep, "Muang Pattaya" branch.

The only one in Banglamung district with "business center" service.
I doubt that there will be any main branch enclosed in a shopping center with late opening.

Main branches always have direct entrance to the road.

Opening hours only Monday to Friday.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hal65 said:

$35 for the visa to Laos and $1 for the "outside preferred work hours" fee

I think they'll be able to break my $40 this year though. 

They give you change in USD. I've never had any issue paying for that visa at the Friendship Bridge with a $50 or a $100, you don't need exact change.

• Like 1

It's long been difficult at various times to get foreign currency from bank branches, without ordering it first, so this is nothing to do with the liquidity crisis, it's pretty much the way it has been for a long time. Even when HSBC's retail branch was in operation in Bangkok I needed to order two weeks ahead to get my hands on GBP 1k and that was many years ago. Two months ago in CM  I needed GBP 2k for my current trip and it took forever to round it up from a number of sources. The supply and availability of foreign currency by Thai banks caries based on location, in places where there's plenty of tourist traffic the chances are much higher. That said, branches only hang on to the amount they think they can sell, the rest goes to head office for when customers in different locations place orders.

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

A shopping mall branch or sub-branch hardly ranks as their main branch. That office doesn't even open  until 11:00.

Based on what you and others say, maybe this is correct. I will say that when I had to get an auto-debit paper from True signed, only that branch could do it.

PS: I find it hilarious that the business banking / home branch is right at the tip of the most dense red light area in the world

Edited by Hal65