Rain chaos in Pattaya as district chief on scene of tour bus that fell down a hole

webfact

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

pattaya beach new sand is washed away ,now exposing the new sand bags....this new beach rejuvination is the biggest disaster to pattaya....in 2 years the beach from dusit to walking street will be bags...

But if they hadn't put the bags there, how much more would have washed away?  All around the world, beaches erode away every year and the sand needs to be replaced after the stormy season.  

You can try to protect the underlying foundation, but that sand is pretty much sacrificial.  And relatively cheap.  Hopefully, they can even get their old sand back by dredging it back up.  But trucking in new sand is certainly cheaper and easier if the roads haven't been washed away.  That's what the bags are for.  Not for saving the sand.

Whether (and why) there isn't any money in the coffers to acquire new sand is another topic for another thread.

• Like 1

When you are sitting in the tower of your ivory castle, looking down on your subjects, with hundreds of millions of baht in the bank, it is quite easy to say that the floods are not going to be a problem this year. The lack of empathy, compassion, regard, respect, and concern, that most members of this administration have for the common man is always astounding to me. And General Chatchai, who was the numnut nitwit who uttered the statement that the country is safe from flooding this year, is the ultimate numskull. 

6 hours ago, BestB said:

I thought Pattaya drainage problem was already fixed and nothing to worry about , turns out more flooding to come.

Careful... they'll charge you with damaging the image of Pattaya as a tourist destination. 

Truth is no defence ? 

• Haha 1

Is Thailand the only country in the world where busses fall over and fall down holes are the buses drunk or on drugs or is it the person in charge of the bus to blame e.g. the driver not using due care and attention to the road ahead  .

8 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

If that's Patt's after just ONE HOUR of heavy rain, I would hate to see it if got hit with THREE HOURS of downpour like we've had here in Chiang Mai 4-5 times so far this year.  

We had over 3 hours at my house in Naklua.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Some real genius posts on here today, when you have heavy rain anywhere in the world there will always be a build up of water causing a flood - the issue is how quickly it drains when the rain stops, some notorious areas hit by flooding last night were clear 2 hours later - that tells me the drainage system actually did its job.

True enough, but when beach road floods you have to believe there is room for improvement? ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

All around the world, beaches erode away every year and the sand needs to be replaced after the stormy season.  

~30 years ago the beaches in Pattaya never washed away, all the unregulated building work has created this, where else in the world do they replace the sand every year?

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"Barriers were supposed to be protecting the hole but they had been washed away...."

Why does this not surprise me in the slightest?

police deputy did not noticew as he was in nearest go go bar and after soi sex , selling flippers and google mask very good business at moment , also the ferry to koh larn could make abit extra picking up passengers on 2nd road 

1 hour ago, Jim walker said:

Is Thailand the only country in the world where busses fall over and fall down holes are the buses drunk or on drugs or is it the person in charge of the bus to blame e.g. the driver not using due care and attention to the road ahead  .

The point is that he couldn't SEE the road, because having failed to sell itself as a world-class resort the city has turned to selling itself as the Venice of Asia.

• Like 1

If anyone thought the drain problem was solved or the beach had plenty of sand like many things it is all smoke and mirrors.

The drains look nice but the drains are so small no matter how many manholes you put in the pipes just can't take the flow so it flows where to the top!  Then where you think the water is going to some reservoir nearby? Everything drains from Sukhumvit to the beach into the ocean thus the reason no sand but sandbags. Lots of money going to waste and into some stuff pockets!  They want Billions and if they get it guess the outcome?

If it wasn't a tour bus and the fear of killing a few more Chinese the guy wouldn't even have bothered!

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

It did rain for more than 3 hours, about this time of year in 2015. Flooding was far worse than it was last night. Far worse than any of the photos shown in this thread. I remember walking across Pattaya Tai, waist deep in water. Also saw 2 Aussies having a swimming race along Soi Diana.

I believe that the problem with drainage in Pattaya was caused a number of years ago when the beach side of Beach Road was upgraded. Many trees were removed and the level of the walkway was significantly raised. Pattaya is built on a steady slope from Sukhumvit to the Beach and storm water would run uninterrupted through Pattaya and into the sea. Once the boardwalk/promenade was raised, it acted as a dam and storm water backs up through Pattaya.

I live in East Pattaya which is elevated considerably above Pattaya, so no flooding here. However at the height of the storm, lots of thunder and lightening, my wife turned her mobile off and begged me to turn the TV off. I laughed at her. A couple of minutes later a lightening bolt grounded very close to the house. Huge crack, my wife screamed and even I jumped. It tripped out one circuit breaker, which I reset, but it had taken out one LED light and a power extension lead which was still plugged in outside (probably the source of the power surge). Luckily, my TV survived as it's fed via a surge protector.

Got several som nam nas from my wife and probably won't laugh at her again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soistalker said:

I recommend Thailand hires a team of foreign engineers to fix this problem ONCE AND FOR ALL. We arent talking about something terribly sophisticated. Its just draining rainwater. The Thais are not a smart people. But they are arrogant, so they think they can fix problems. They can't. 

I reckon I could fix the problem. Have no work permit so I guess that rules me out.

• Haha 1