The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

11 hours ago, RickG16 said:

There was a life lesson in there Mr Boj but you missed it....... never bite off more than you can chew. 

The only life lesson from that incident was you shouldn't play football against cowards. I am truly aghast that you are condoning that sort of behaviour on a football field.

Seems United's next half a dozen games only one is at home ??? might be a blessing and take the pressure of the younger guys if they get a chance.

Only just got around to watching a replay of the Arsenal game and even taking the conditions into account it was just a shadow of the great games of the past. 2 teams barely average

Bemused by OGS playing Young at RB and Tuanzebe at LB when the latter last season was a right sided CB and performed admirably. Tuanzebe has the potential, was one of the better performers and still only 21, but play him where he is surely more accustomed to.

Scott McTominay continues to give a glow of hope that he has "arrived".In fact he might well be a future leader.Has attributes that make that quite a possibilty. 

Genuine United fans are going to have to be very patient,its going to be a slow re boot. Hardly likely to get quality signings in January. I hope Matic ,Mata and Young will be moved on next summer. If you going to build for the future they are not part of it IMO

Looks like Lingard is only there to pick up the pay check. No other clubs would touch him . So many overpaid players in the team you'd expect more.
BTW you could say the same about Spurs after last night tragedy.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:58 AM, mrbojangles said:

I am truly aghast that you are condoning that sort of behaviour on a football field.

You might be more aghast at some of the things happening  around you ????

Chill Mr Boj. Smoke a shisha pipe and drink a vimto ????

On 10/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, Sparkles said:

Seems United's next half a dozen games only one is at home ??? might be a blessing and take the pressure of the younger guys if they get a chance.

Only just got around to watching a replay of the Arsenal game and even taking the conditions into account it was just a shadow of the great games of the past. 2 teams barely average

Bemused by OGS playing Young at RB and Tuanzebe at LB when the latter last season was a right sided CB and performed admirably. Tuanzebe has the potential, was one of the better performers and still only 21, but play him where he is surely more accustomed to.

Scott McTominay continues to give a glow of hope that he has "arrived".In fact he might well be a future leader.Has attributes that make that quite a possibilty. 

Genuine United fans are going to have to be very patient,its going to be a slow re boot. Hardly likely to get quality signings in January. I hope Matic ,Mata and Young will be moved on next summer. If you going to build for the future they are not part of it IMO

Observant post as usual Sparkles ???? It was hard to fathom why Tunezabe was LB and Young RB... sure there must be some method to the madness but not sure what it was.

41 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Observant post as usual Sparkles ???? It was hard to fathom why Tunezabe was LB and Young RB... sure there must be some method to the madness but not sure what it was.

Seems obvious to me. OGS wanted Youngie to put outswingers into the box. Inswingers from the left just not working this season.

Pogba needs to have a more central role and be more protected in midfield. He wants more time to select his pass. Does not do so well under pressure for the ball. Stephen Ireland is called for to join the coaching team at Utd.

I actually thought OGS had it worked out. Perhaps he hasn't.

Edited by owl sees all

36 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Seems obvious to me. OGS wanted Youngie to put outswingers into the box. Inswingers from the left just not working this season.

Pogba needs to have a more central role and be more protected in midfield. He wants more time to select his pass. Does not do so well under pressure for the ball. Stephen Ireland is called for to join the coaching team at Utd.

I actually thought OGS had it worked out. Perhaps he hasn't.

We have gone 218 days without scoring from a set piece, We have young taking the corners and swinging his crosses in and Rashford free kicks it's about time both was dropped and try something new.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nev said:

Really looking forward to tonight's game I hope he gives James his first start in Europe and start with Greenwood up top.

I am going for a 1-0 win.

Struggling to match your enthusiasm but I'll watch it! Hopefully this can be a good audition for some players - Greenwood, Fred etc - to break into the Premier League team.

35 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Struggling to match your enthusiasm but I'll watch it! Hopefully this can be a good audition for some players - Greenwood, Fred etc - to break into the Premier League team.

Gomes Greenwood James

Mata Matic Fred

Williams Rojo Lindelof Dalot

De gea.

Starting 11. Reasonable team.

37 minutes ago, nev said:

Gomes Greenwood James

Mata Matic Fredhe  

Williams Rojo Lindelof Dalot

De gea.

Starting 11. Reasonable team.

Yep. Not sure if Mata and Gomes will play the other way round (Gomes deeper). Heard a lot of good things about Williams, and looks capable from what I've seen.

Will be watching Lindelof closely. I know he improved last year but really looks like a pretty placid character who struggles to assert himself. Has been bullied a couple of times already for goals we've conceded this seaso, and that video of him missing the header during the warm up routines was just embarrassing. It is actually a shame that Bailly isn't fit as him + Harry could actually be a pretty formidible partnership! Let's see how Lindelof goes but I have the feeling that Rojo will look like the senior partner, even though he hasn't played much.

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not too far from Amsterdam I see! Could be a good little trip. 

Yes I have done the train from the Dam to the Hague but not football but as a tourist, Be a good night in the dam after the game.

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Well it looks like James is playing as an actual number 9, rather than a false one....

Looks like it, but switching with Greenwood at times.

We are looking ok keeping good shape.

It's a worry all the corners they have had that they will score from one.

No real chances for us yet.

2 minutes ago, nev said:

Looks like it, but switching with Greenwood at times.

We are looking ok keeping good shape.

It's a worry all the corners they have had that they will score from one.

No real chances for us yet.

I actually don't mind Steve McManaman, but having him commentate on a United game is a bit much.

Yeah keeping the shape well as you need to do in Europe. But I'm not sure a Solskjaer side is capable of keeping possession for long periods. which you also typically need to do in these type of games. They are passing it and keeping it better than us, and that means we'll get tired quicker.

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I actually don't mind Steve McManaman, but having him commentate on a United game is a bit much.

Yeah keeping the shape well as you need to do in Europe. But I'm not sure a Solskjaer side is capable of keeping possession for long periods. which you also typically need to do in these type of games. They are passing it and keeping it better than us, and that means we'll get tired quicker.

He's ok McManaman but as you say it seems wrong but he is quiet complimentary bat times to us.

Still think we will nick this but a draw wouldn't be to bad.

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

You'd have had to have had a shot on target to do that ????

We are all puff and wind at the moment, Will take monumental turn around to get shots on target right now.

We did have one on target Greenwood that Vlar blocked.

No excuses that was as bad as it gets.

• Like 2

After getting up and watching that game and regretting it I am now thinking to get out of there with a point and only one injury may have been a good result.

Firstly its a disgrace that Europa league games are allowed to played on a synthetic surface and a bad one at that, it was like playing on a patch of concrete. By allowing that pitch to be used is indicative of how the Europa league is perceived by the Authorities, a second rate tournament whose only benefit ,if you win it ,is to get back into a CL place.

The competition is also not regarded highly enough to have VAR,such consistency over the global game ????

If VAR had turned up Rashford would have got a nailed on penalty but then again after not getting a clear penalty against Arsenal,it's a lottery.

You would be struggling to give any United player,apart from De Gea, more than a 5.

About the only encouraging sign was the debut of Brandon Williams.He faded towards the end but shown enough potential to be nutured as a direct threat to Luke Shaw if he ever gets fit.

I believe MU are appointing a new head of physio,the injury list is not normal or acceptable and been that way for season after season.

15 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Newcastle away, you'd think considering how bad Newcastle are Ole has to win this match? Would it not be curtains for him if he loses this one?

I think he’s got a few more months in him yet whatever the outcome. That’s a massive building project in the making there and I’m guessing they will give him a Jan window to get a few more in/out. 

They have come out and openly supported him as recent as last week and when you consider how long they (wrongly imo) stuck by Mourinho I can’t see them getting rid yet. 

A lot will will depend on the fans and how long they stay with him. If they turn all the upstairs support in the world won’t save him. 

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I think he’s got a few more months in him yet whatever the outcome. That’s a massive building project in the making there and I’m guessing they will give him a Jan window to get a few more in/out. 

They have come out and openly supported him as recent as last week and when you consider how long they (wrongly imo) stuck by Mourinho I can’t see them getting rid yet. 

A lot will will depend on the fans and how long they stay with him. If they turn all the upstairs support in the world won’t save him. 

Yeah I hope they do stick with him, and agree he has a project on his hands, but I doubt the board would have envisaged the current situation. If he can stabilise and get a few wins, some consistency or even playing decent football he'll be ok. However, if this trend of not winning, and playing awful football appears to have no end I reckon they'll have no choice. Like you say also if the fans turn on him, a United "legend" then for sure....

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

Yeah I hope they do stick with him, and agree he has a project on his hands, but I doubt the board would have envisaged the current situation. If he can stabilise and get a few wins, some consistency or even playing decent football he'll be ok. However, if this trend of not winning, and playing awful football appears to have no end I reckon they'll have no choice. Like you say also if the fans turn on him, a United "legend" then for sure....

Agree with the Newcastle game.  Massive game for both managers and the sort of game where Newcastle will be really up for it too and could kick start them.

I think the style is important to fans. It’s ok getting 0-0 bore draws but the fans aren’t daft and will know if it’s going the right way overall. From what I’ve seen in their past few games they are looking for inspiration and to a degree a piece of luck. Is he the sort of manager to inspire? 

Confidence can also change a side massively either way......look at Spurs. Once on the slide it’s hard to get off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Agree with the Newcastle game.  Massive game for both managers and the sort of game where Newcastle will be really up for it too and could kick start them.

I think the style is important to fans. It’s ok getting 0-0 bore draws but the fans aren’t daft and will know if it’s going the right way overall. From what I’ve seen in their past few games they are looking for inspiration and to a degree a piece of luck. Is he the sort of manager to inspire? 

Confidence can also change a side massively either way......look at Spurs. Once on the slide it’s hard to get off. 

There was a time during the later Fergie era when we used to dominate away from home in Europe. But even when we were English champs in the early 90s going away from home in Europe was traditionally tricky.

This was a very young side with 8 changes who stuck to their guns and got a point