What Percentage of Western/Thai Marriages Work? I'll Bet It Is Very Low!

TonyClifton

Do you think Thai/Western marriages can ever work?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Not any more than anyone can point at hard numbers showing the marriages don't work.

When I rack and stack all the Thai/American marriages I know of against all the American/American marriages I know of, the T/A come out on top.  I know more than a few handfuls of T/A who are closing in on 50 years together.  And many many handfuls of 10-20+ years of marriage.  Some fail, of course.......maybe more depending on who you associate with.   Likewise, my friends from military days who married Japanese and Koreans largely are together after more than 30 years.

I'm not looking for the exception that proves the rule.  I'm looking for hard numbers.  I suspect that only a small percentage succeeds. Can anyone prove me to be wrong?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

I can only report on what I saw...so no hard numbers.

In a Western sense there were only a few successes..banter,intellectual enjoyment etc.

There was also very little cultural cross fertilisation going on-one of the reasons that all those billions spent by foreigners in Isaan were absolutely,totally,without result.

Edited by Odysseus123

11 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

Can any of you point to hard numbers showing that a marriage between a westerner and a Thai succeeds?  I'm betting the number of marriages that work is a very small percentage of the total marriages.  

sure look above at the survey 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

If someone thinks they need a divorce as soon as the intense sexual desire wears off then everyone would be divorced after a few months.  Relationships, love and companionship are a big part of marriage. 

From what I have seen, most of the Thai / foreigner marriages are based solely on the man having money to give to his wife in exchange for sex with a good looking woman who would be out of the guys league in his native country. 

The language barrier means the couple can not really communicate very well, and not at a deep emotional level, and then when the guy gets bores of the sex the problems start and the relationship ends, because there is very little else to the relationship apart from the sexual aspect.  Maybe they will stay together as the guy does not want to risk loosing his house and money to the wife (who now hold the power).  

Well I guess if the farang and his wife have gone through the process of building a home together for instance, the planning and the practical, discussions and agreements, then they already have more communication and interaction, than the renters. They are for a start having sex in a home they planned built and decorated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Have known about 20 couples that married and came back to uk - none are still married today - including one of my own. I have a new Thai wife now - 3 years married now and I know this works. My own feelings on the matter are if you want to marry a Thai lady, then live with her in Thailand for a few years - marrying one and bringing her straight back to the Uk - or anywhere - is asking for trouble in my own opinion

I would say that, ideally, stay in Thailand with them. They never really settle in a foreign country.

• Like 1

I wish I knew what a successful marriage was - can a get me some Hard Definitions on that ?!? Never had success in marriage so am just getting by with meaningless short times and friendships now and then.  Dont think I can afford a successful marriage here in Thailand from what I have read - 555

My wife and I have done OK over the last 40 years.  Yes there were difficulties and language can be a problem in terms of easy or subtle communication.  I spoke some Thai when we met and we lived there about a year and a half after we married. She learned most of her English after we left - 37 years in the US. 

She's back over in Thailand as of 2 years ago - had enough of the rat race in the west (though she misses pizza and steak).  Sort of an advanced scout, setting things up there for retirement years.  We own a nice house that is fairly new.  Money has never been an issue, as we were frugal and worked and saved for years.  Though she spends money on orchids and little miniature chickens for the yard, 555. 

I will say that my wife, though born in Thailand, came from a Vietnamese background, so there's a bit of cultural difference.  Her Mom was a refugee of sorts from back in the 1950s. Hard-headed people.

• Like 1