Why are some THAI items sold in INCHES?

TonyClifton

3 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Is the worry keeping you awake...

No, I am in a daytime time zone (1600 hour here). Needed some amusement.

But on the serious side, I did Google this for the OP. Couldn't find the answer there either.

7 minutes ago, neeray said:

No, I am in a daytime time zone (1600 hour here). Needed some amusement.

But on the serious side, I did Google this for the OP. Couldn't find the answer there either.

Car tyre sizes mix inches and mm ...that's not keeping me awake though ...it's that mozzie that got me earlier ...

We all react differently to mozzie bites. I'm lucky, a dip in the lake or shower erases mine immediately. Try a shower.

I guess car tires are dual system markings so that they can be sold internationally.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

I guess car tires are dual system markings so that they can be sold internationally.

Nah, it's much more interesting. Rim sizes are in inches everywhere, historical and will never change **, the size of the rubber is in mm (the old technology crossply tyres had the rubber in inches).

** My old Beemer in the UK had "metric" tyres, i.e. The rims were not inch size, nightmare to get rubber for even 20+ years ago. https://www.ctyres.co.uk/general/metric

Even "metric" building materials are really in legacy sizes, plywood comes in sheets 1220mm x 2440mm which is as near as makes no odds 4 x 8 feet (1219.2mm x 2438.4mm).

History has a lot to answer for.

11 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Ladyboys on Craigslist will tell you that their height is in centimeters but their length is always told in inches. Why?

Sent from my Star Trek Communicator.

As if that whole topic was not confusing enough already.

BTW, best post I have read since joining. 

Thailand is metric but still uses old Thai measurements I could never find anything of why the imperial measurement is used as well, my theory is American influence in certain materials, Myanmar, Liberia and USA are the only countries that still use it.

In schools they say English program when it should be called American English IMO.

To stop falling into that trap when buying materials now I always take along measurements in both metric and imperial. 

Similarly when buying cloths. especially shorts, you can't rely on the sizing they have so take along a tape measure  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thailand is metric but still uses old Thai measurements I could never find anything of why the imperial measurement is used as well, my theory is American influence in certain materials, Myanmar, Liberia and USA are the only countries that still use it.

In schools they say English program when it should be called American English IMO.

for threads

for certain pipe fittings and tube fittings

especially tapered ones

non metric is used almost all over the world

velocity of boats velocity of airplanes - non metric among the pros -whatever among the non pros

same goes for wind speed

altitude - flying machines - non metric

stones and foot and inch and gallons (us and imperial) living well

volume of oil; barrel

a metric society is a long way off

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

for threads

especially tapered ones

velocity of boats velocity of airplanes - non metric among the pros -whatever among the non pros

same goes for wind speed

volume of oil; barrel

Disagree America is wrong as usual about everything in the world metric makes sense as in 1 litre is 1 kilo in weight too simple for American govs to understand I guess. 

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

English PROGRAMME.  lol 

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

for threads

especially tapered ones

same goes for wind speed

volume of oil; barrel

And RAI for land area.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Disagree America is wrong as usual about everything in the world metric makes sense as in 1 litre is 1 kilo in weight too simple for American govs to understand I guess. 

American standards (well, NFPA, which is all I use) are now metricated, with the archaic measures in brackets

16 hours ago, GettingBye said:

It all started falling apart because of the French.

I read about the old measurement systems on a machining forum.  It was a nightmare.  Even within a system, the "precision" measurement tools would vary in length between towns/regions in France.

Archived